Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon: Distorted Souls ❯ The Leap of Faith ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter One: The Leap of Faith

I woke up earlier than usual. The clock on my nightstand read 6:45. I chose to get up and get ready for school. The kids at my school were going to give me a hard time, but all I could do was face the music. Climbing out of bed, I made it to my door and unlocked it. I quietly walked towards the bathroom and shut the door behind me. I stared at the mirror above the sink and saw myself. You would think I was a little older, but I was in fact 15 years old. I was ye tall about 5' 6" and thin, with a weight of 135lbs. My hazel eyes seemed to see right through me, and I started to feel empty inside. I noticed my face had a nice shape as my bangs swayed in front of it. I messed up my scruffy-looking black hair, and tried to make it look halfway decent. Of course, it didn't work out to well. Examining myself closer, I was mindful of my darker complexion and having a medium build. My parents had definitely granted me attractive features, but looks weren't everything to me. I glanced around the bathroom for a few seconds before deciding to take a shower. After hopping out, I went into my room and got dressed.

Before leaving my room, I looked over to the clock one last time. It read 7:18. Since today was that day, I thought I'd visit his room. I trudged down the hall and passed my parents room. My mom had already left for work, and my dad was somewhere in the states. He had a business trip to attend, and I couldn't believe he wouldn't be here today, this day of all days. I arrived at the door, and opened it. I viewed the scene. It was exactly the way he left it, He had only been 12 years old and his room reflected this. This room belonged to my brother, Kotataro Haruko.

There were action figures everywhere, and I couldn't help noticing his stack of comics. The holes were he would punch the walls were still there. He only did this when he lost a fight or got mad because I got my way. I had to chuckle at remembering that. We used to jump on his bed, and I remembered the time he tried to jump out the window ending up with a broken arm. I was amazed when I found out he broke it because he had started laughing when he hit the ground. It was all fun and games to him; I was the more serious one.

About to head downstairs, something caught my eye. I walked over to his dresser and there they lay. They were the only things you could count on him wearing everyday. Our dad had given them to him on his 12th birthday. They were his means of "coolness" he always said, his goggles. They were dark green outlined in black with dark blue tinted lenses. Never leaving the house without them, we were forever getting into trouble because of his stupid goggles. I remember the time he lead us to a cave far from our grandmother's house. We got chased by wolves in the forest, almost drowned in the river, and fell down a deep hole in the cave. But even after all this happened, it turned out to be a lot of fun. The hole lead back towards the house, and we found a wolf cub. After we played with it for a while and named it Paws, we returned home. I don't think I'd ever do anything like that nowadays. I must have been crazy back then...

I left the room and shut the door behind me. I thought I heard something come from inside the room, but that was impossible. I decided I was hearing things and went downstairs.

"These might be useful..."

School started at 8:00, and I was going to walk. No bus for me today, besides I wanted to see some things first. Since it was getting late, I grabbed a bite to eat and left my house down the road.

Walking down the street, I recognized two of the houses I always passed. I started to wish I had ridden the bus today, but I wanted to see these two places. At least for today...

The first house was one I had visited many a time. It belonged to my very first friend. We met in 1st grade. A guy Haruko had once got in a fight with decided to come after me. Hitting me from behind with a surprise attack, I was knocked to the ground. Suddenly I realized I was surrounded. It was four 2nd graders against me, and I didn't like those odds. When I saw a rock peg the guy in the back of the head, I immediately jumped up and kicked him in the stomach. The person who helped me appeared from behind the bushes. Still hurling the rocks, I took out two others and my brother showed up. He finished off the last one, and we all ran off. I thanked him for his assistance, and he said it was no problem. From that point on, He became one of my best friends. He was like my other brother, and the three of us hung out all the time. His name was Moritoma Zeek, and the last time I saw him was 4 years ago. I walked on...

The second house was colorful and eccentric, which would best describe my friend Kiyo. She would become the next person inducted into our little group. Her parents transferred Kiyo to our school when I was in the 4th grade. I was the first to see her walk into the school. Haruko, Zeek, and I had got in trouble for playing soccer to roughly with the other kids. The three of us were sentenced to cleaning the stairways, and sweeping the halls until recess was finished. Being on the main stairway with the longest rails, I just had fun sliding down them. She looked really excited when she entered the school, and I waved to her before falling of the rail onto my butt. We got a laugh out of it, and then she ran off after her parents. Before I knew it, Haruko and Zeek were right behind me. They hadn't seen her yet, but had noticed my incident. All they did was laugh, so I got up and kicked them both. Because of my deeds, I was chased to my classroom. Zeek followed behind me and attacked me for Haruko and himself. The bell rang and our punishment was over. Kiyo entered the room and our teacher introduced her as Rimata Kiyo. She was seated in front of me, and I proceeded to introduce myself. Kiyo was glad to meet me and Zeek too. In fact, she knew Zeek from taking gymnastics with Zeek's older cousin Abby. Abby was in Haruko's class, and was the same age as him. Kiyo had seen a couple pictures of Zeek at Abby's house when she had to wait inside with her for rides. The three of us hit it off, and it was the start of a beautiful friendship. After meeting Haruko, she was a part of our little gang. 4 years ago, she also disappeared.

Our friendship would stay strong despite the ups and downs, until this day four years ago. The day they would vanish into thin air along with 3 other kids, Abby Nourushi, Shaen Macintosh, and Jake Bediano. I would never forget that day...

I looked up and realized I had reached my high school, Osaka High. It consisted of three large buildings: The Main Building, The Cafeteria Building, and The Auditorium Building. Life draining prison were the only words that I could use to describe high school, and thinking of going in there again made my eye twitch. Since I had the weight of Haruko's life thrust upon my shoulders, I was going to have to stay strong for my parents. There was no time for me right now, and I could wait a little longer. I headed up the cracked concrete steps, and walked into my school.

"This will be the location..."

The kids I passed in the halls looked as miserable as I felt, but that didn't stop them from laughing at me. Nor did it stop them from calling me a weakling, a baby, and other things. I couldn't help but sigh. What had happened to me? People aren't supposed to feel this way. I wasn't to suppose to feel this way!

The sounds of school rang through my ears as kids talked and lockers opened. I made it to my own locker in one piece, and was happy about that. After getting the books I needed for the morning, I headed towards my first period class. It was Spanish and one of my easier classes so it was a breeze. I didn't have to do anything, and no homework was assigned.

Leaving first period and traveling to second, led me to the Cafeteria building. On the way, I caught a glimpse of the guy that beat me up. I decided right then and there that I was going to get him, just because today was this day. I stopped, turned around, and watched him walking away from me. "Ketezen," hearing my voice he halted,"I want a rematch." He snickered, "You sure you wanna pick a fight with me? I know you remember what happened yesterday." "You meet me by the school fountain at fourth period, and I'll give you the fight of your life." I shouted back. A couple people around us laughed at what I said, but I stood firm. I could beat him; I just had to have the courage to do it. For one day I would cast aside my ideals and fight back! "Well then, you won't stand a chance." he replied turning around, "I haven't seen you put up a good fight with anyone since you were 11." I glared at him, "Today's different..." He stared back at me." If you believe you'll win don't come, but if you're going to pass up beating on me..." "I'll come, don't worry, I wouldn't miss this for the world. It'll be a blast." He punched his left palm with his right first, and the slight smirk on his face made we want to fight him now."One last time then..." I whispered. I'll show you what I can do! The bell rang once again, and we all dashed off to our classes.

During second period, the only thing I could think of was the fight. I was starting to wonder if this was a good idea, Ketezen was a tough combatant and I could seriously get hurt. He was about my height, but he weighed more. The color of his dark brown, reddish hair was disturbing, and his wicked gray eyes were off the charts. The only that haven't mention is his strength, and he is definitely strong. No time to panic or get worried now, I had set this up myself. Third bell of the day went off, I wasn't really looking forward to the fourth.

In third period, the Auditorium building was where I came to be and our teacher really had us working hard. I thought my hand was going to fall off from writing so much. We had to finish four in-class assignments, and they weren't easy. Luckily, I had won an Assignment pass for getting one of the better grades on last week's test. Four other people had one and we whipped them out fast, they got us out of doing two of the assignments. After finishing up the other two, I had time to spare so I slouched in my seat and stared toward my teacher's desk. That's when strange things started to happen.

"Now, It's time..."

I decided to look out the open window because it was a change of scenery from the desk. It was looking pretty good outside. The sun was out, a breeze was blowing and it was a nice day. Then I noticed some black clouds that started covering the whole sky, but no rain came. Everybody kept working like nothing was happening; didn't they see what I saw? Sparks were hitting the ground repeatedly, and I realized this wasn't normal weather. A fierce wind blew through the window, and the sparks followed. I heard the noise of bells ringing, and watches beeping. I jumped out of my seat and closed the window. Everyone else stared at me. "There's a storm coming." I said.

"Mr. Kotataro, What are you talking about? It's a beautiful day out, open that window." My teacher replied. "But don't you see the sky, and the sparks, they're all over the place. The sparks are bouncing around the room as we speak!" I exclaimed following the sparks with my eyes." "And don't tell me you can't here the bells, and the beeping too!" I turned my gaze on her. "Mr. Kotataro, open the window and be seated before I give you a detention." She commanded, "Crazy kids..." she mumbled under her breath. The whole class laughed at me, and I thought I had finally lost it. I sat at my desk and closed my eyes and ears. After opening them, everything was as the teacher said, nice and peaceful. I was just imagining things...

The Fourth bell rang, and losing my mind wasn't a confidence booster. Losing was starting to etch its way into my mind. I watched Ketezen and his gang arrive, and I got this feeling in the pit of my stomach. I walked towards them, and I almost started hyperventilating. I heard my brother's voice in my head, "You can do this!"

We were in the middle of all three buildings, and fourth period started lunch. There would be no help, and no running away. We stood in front of each other. This was it.

"You showed up, Are you ready?" Ketezen asked me. "I'm as ready as I'll ever be." I replied.

He came at me with his right fist, and I decided to follow my instincts. I jumped to my left, and kicked him in the stomach then the side. He didn't like that very much and jumped me. I was caught off guard, and we both fell to the ground. He punched me three times in the chest before I was able to throw him off me. I stared at him at for moment, and I didn't realize the clouds were going black again. "Come on Ketezen, Show me what you got!" He charged at me, and I ducked down tripping him over. He hopped from the ground in a hurry just as I was getting up. I dodged a kick just in time, and tackled him. I was going to try and punch him in the chest, but he kicked me back with both his legs. I fell back again and this time into the fountain. I was soaked and angry. It was my turn to charge. The sparks catching the ground, outlining the windowpanes, and sketching the fountain didn't grab my attention. He thought he was ready for me, but I rolled to his right, hopped up, and double kicked him. He got knocked back, but not to the ground. He jumped to me, and I felt his fist in my gut. I shoved him back and my fists made contact with his face. I moved back to get a good look at the damage. He stared at me, and I glared back at him. "Looks like that beating I gave you yesterday did you some good." He wiped some blood from his nose. "No, I was motivated to beat you and I'm going too!" "Wha?" he breathed. All the years of pain and anger flooded through me, and I ran at him. He was so surprised he just stepped back before I plowed him over. I punched him repeatedly until his gang dragged me off him.

He tried to get up, but I guess his face hurt. I stared at him, "It's done. You'll never touch me again. I've proven what I can do..." As I turned to walk off, "Wait!" I stood face to face with 5 of this buddies. "It's not over yet. You've got us to deal with!"

Panic set in, I couldn't beat all them. It was time to resort to the cowardly ways I was so used too. I bolted out of there like I was on fire.

I ran into the Main building, and there they were hot on my trail. I could go to the roof it was safe up there. I had to run up the stairs, run! Down the first hallway, I started hearing the bell rings and watch beeps. As I was nearing the second hallway, a ball of sparks bust onto the scene. I dropped onto the floor, and skid back. The ball of sparks started to take shape, and I looked up to see what it was becoming. It was still hovering above so I got up to run, but I was stuck. They were running up the steps, and this thing was in my way. I was trapped!!!

A small white body appeared with a peached belly, and wings came into view. They were small dragon-like wings on this creature's back, and they were white with brown edging. It had clawed feet, and its hands were clawed too. They were a dark gray and looked sharp. I would have classified this thing as dangerous. Its head came last with two horns on its head and one at the end of its mouth. There were two ears, I'm guessing, sticking out behind its back horns and a little nose in front of the third horn. Its mouth was full of razor-like teeth with a blade's edge. Its black eyes had a fierce look about them, and there were red and brown designs all over his body. There was even one down his left eye. This thing was definitely dangerous indeed. The whole creature was in sight, and I wasn't about to get eaten. I shot past him, and the thing flew right after me. I even heard the guys that were still chasing me. This day had gotten bad in hurry, I was gonna get eaten and beaten to a pulp. But all I had to do was get to the roof, not many people knew how to get up there, then I would be safe.

I went up two sets of stairs and through three doors. I locked the last door, and I walked into the fresh air. What a day? I thought. I was soaked, going crazy, appeared to be seeing things, and was chased by Ketezen's buddies. Life was hard and I wanted to die!

I sat on the roof's edge, laid back, and stared up into the sky. I'll stay up here till things settle down. I closed my eyes...

"Wake up!"

My eyes were open in a flash, and it looked like all my hallucinations were back. The sky was as black as night, and sparks were shooting from every direction. The sounds were more frequent and intense. I rose up and came face to face with the creature. I jumped back and up, and was about to take off until I heard the creature speak.

"Don't run I'm not going to hurt you."

I was terrified, but something wouldn't allow me leave. I thought it was the creature.

"My name is Drekenmon, and you must come with me."

"Huh? What are you talking about? This is just a dream; I'm asleep or hallucinating, one of them I'm sure." I started talking to this `Drekenmon, and half to myself.

"You are not dreaming, and you are not hallucinating. I'd like to explain the situation, but there is no time. You must come with me now!" He exclaimed.

My eyes transfixed on him he seemed to be fading away.

"I can't come with you, you're some kind of monster. How do I know you won't ravage my bones or something?" I asked.

"I've been watching you for a while now, and I know a lot about you. You're a paranoid coward, and a pessimist, but I knew you before you changed. I knew your brother, your friends, your life, and right now they all need help. Now whether you believe me or not is your decision."

I was stunned by this sudden surge of information. I couldn't speak a word. All the sparks around us started to form a rather large ring right beside the Main building. Drekenmon was fading even more.

"Time is up, you must decide. Follow me and don't be afraid. "

He could be lying, I didn't know. My brother was gone and my friends were gone. What else did I have left, but my life. My dad always said, "When life grants you a second chance, you have to take it." Drekenmon was giving me the chance to change my life. I had committed one courageous act today another wouldn't hurt. Then I noticed Haruko's goggles around his neck, and I realized he might just be telling the truth.

"Drekenmon, I'll come with you." I announced.

"Good, you've made the right decision. Jump into the ring!"

"But I'm afraid of heights..."

"I'll be right behind you."

I nodded in response, "Okay, here goes nothing..."

I leaped through the air, and I was falling. "Digital Gate, Digitize!" Drekenmon shouted.

"Ahhhh!!!" I yelled in terror.

We fell through the ring, and that was how it all started.

"You might have made the right choice Reth, but this is only the beginning..."