Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Millenium ❯ The Warrior of Shadows ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Digimon …
 
Author's Note: Well, finally my exams are over!! Thank god … they seemed to go on forever. But now that they're finished, haha, time to start writing again! This chapter is probably dedicated to, er, all those who now have the pleasure of saying `School's Out'!!
Now that my stinkin' exams are finished, I can finally continue with my work, and with work, I mean writing!
OK, my thanks goes out to those of you guys who have reviewed so far. A special batch of cookies goes out to you! ^ ^
This chapter will contain Daikari (yaaaay! … finally) so it's probably about time too. Yippee!
Enjoy!
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
Chapter Eight
 
The Warrior of Shadows
 
Kari ran forward, tears falling down her cheeks. She knelt down beside Ken and put a trembling hand on his shoulder; she hadn't seen him so beaten up before.
“Ken, what happened to you?” she asked, trying hard not to look at the three figures that towered over them. She was now so frightened, she couldn't speak properly. What did they do to Ken?
“Talk to me …” she whispered again, looking at the state of Ken's face. His left cheek had a deep cut but that was just the start. He looked almost unrecognizable. Kari's bottom lip started trembling uncontrollably, and she hastily wiped away her tears. She didn't want them to know she was weak, but it was already too late for that.
“No …” she breathed. “Ken … please get up!”
Rita laughed out loud, its sound echoing around the walls of the room. She clapped her gloved hands together, smiling manically, “Oh this is beautiful! Just think what will happen when all of them are here like this!”
Cyrius didn't smile. If anything, he looked frustrated … almost angry.
This is creating a major effect … Cyrius thought, looking sideways at the Digidestined of Miracles. He was looking directly at Kari, constantly twitching his eyes and his hands had curled up into fists. The marks on his body seemed to convulse as well.
Kari brought her hands to her face and started sobbing, fresh tears taking place of those which had already fallen. She couldn't stay strong seeing a close friend in this condition.
“Kari …”
Kari gasped, looking up, astounded by the sound of that familiar voice. She stared up at the figure that stood between the other two. “D-Davis …?”
His head was bent down, his fists shaking by his side. The marks were flickering with grey every time he opened his eyes, which were halfway between the demonic red and chocolate brown.
“What - what's happening?” Rita snapped, an expression of fear replacing the smug one on her face. “What is this?”
 
 
Where … where am I?
Davis looked at the growing darkness around him. He couldn't see anything but darkness; an odd chill was in the air, making him grow numb.
“Veemon … Ken?” he called, frowning. “Anyone? … Hello?”
How did he get here? All he knew was that he was at the temple with the others, and the last thing he felt was excruciating pain.
He stepped forward, but the darkness still surrounded him, never leaving, holding that unpleasant feeling of despondency around. His pulse quickening, he started running, desperate to break free of this place.
“Veeeemon!” Davis yelled, bringing his hands to his mouth. “Where are you?”
He ran on, not giving in to the desperation that was weighing greatly onto him. His legs felt as if they were tied to boulders for some reason, but he didn't give up and kept on running. “Veemon?!”
After what seemed like ages, he fell on his knees, breathing hard. Sweat trickled down his forehead, and he felt compressed underneath the misery which looked like it had succeeded in beating him.
“Anyone?” he called weakly. He felt something was terrible wrong; that he'd be stuck in this place forever. I'm trapped … too weak to do anything.
He closed his eyes, “I - I'm … useless …”
“Ken! No!” a voice cried from nearby.
Davis looked up; his eyes widening. He slowly stood up, realization dawning on him like the morning sun. That voice sounded like …
“Kari …”
He walked onwards, desperate to find his friend. She was sobbing uncontrollably now, and he felt terrible. Why was she crying? What had happened with Ken?
“Kari!” he called, looking around him, expecting to see Kari run out to him. His mind was creating horrible images that were not making this situation any better. Torturing images. Please be OK …
“D-Davis …?”
“Kari, it's me!” Davis shouted out. He scanned the mysterious surroundings. Where was she? As soon as he was about to call out again, he saw something bright shimmer at the corner of his eye. Turning around, he cried out as he noticed Kari on the ground, glowing faintly.
“Kari!” he ran towards her, his heart hammering inside his chest. His heart sank when he came closer to find her in the most dreadful state. Her usually shiny hair was ruffled up, hanging down at the sides of her face. Her school uniform was ripped in several places and her knees had gashes on them. She was shivering unpleasantly and was looking up at him, more tears appearing in her crimson-brown eyes.
“Kari …” he breathed, kneeling down. He looked into her eyes, noticing the shimmer that was so often there gone. He wanted to console her, to tell her everything would be alright. “Kari, don't cry …”
 
 
“What is this?” Rita spat, looking at the Digidestined of Miracles who was now halfway between himself and the demon. “What's happening, Cyrius? Do something!”
Kari stared at Davis, who was now kneeling in front of her. She looked into his eyes, surprised to find the warm chocolate-brown color back once again. He smiled reassuringly, making her feel secure.
“I'll put an end to this!” Cyrius yelled, raising his left hand up high. A black energy ball appeared, with lightning flickering around it. And it all happened at once.
Davis yelled out in pain, closing his eyes. The marks that had receded were crawling back onto him, bringing back the monster that had reinstated him.
“No! Stop!” Kari cried, looking at Cyrius who was brought his hand back down. “Don't do this to him! Please!”
Rita cackled, smiling with pleasure, “We're just putting him back to his rightful place … I think he belongs in the void he was in.”
“Stop it!” Kari sobbed, turning her gaze back to Davis who had stopped shaking. “Stop …”
He looked back, his eyes crimson once again. The marks were back on his face, and Kari felt all hope crashing down around her.
“No …” she whispered.
“We will have to keep a close eye on him, Rita,” Cyrius said. “We need him before we get rid of him once and for all. He could be more dangerous to Master's plans than we think he is.”
No! Kari gasped. She couldn't even think of losing Davis like that! She couldn't let them use him like that … she wouldn't.
“Please don't!” she cried. “You can't do this!”
“Let him deal with her, Cyrius …” Rita said, glaring at Kari. “She's a real nuisance, and she takes an immediate result on him.”
“Hmm …” Cyrius nodded. “That's right. But we need her for later on; we have to be very careful with her. Leave her for now.”
Davis looked at Kari with malevolence. It didn't even look like he had changed from the enthusiastic boy he was once. Kari didn't want to believe it.
He stood up, intense power radiating from him, and turned around, disappearing into a dark vortex that had mysteriously appeared. In mere seconds, it twirled into oblivion.
“NOOO!” Kari shouted, horrified. “DAVIS!”
“Look her up, along with Ken Ichijoji. Master will deal with both of them when the time comes,” Rita said. “For now our work is complete. All we need to look out for are the rest of those intrusive Digidestined.”
“Right …” Cyrius agreed and he walked towards Kari, forming in his hands two strong bonds. Rita nodded and turned around, disappearing just like Davis had done.
Kari didn't say anything as she let Cyrius lock her hands firmly in the two bonds. She kept her head down, sniffing silently. It was useless to do anything else.
“Don't worry. All this will soon be over,” Cyrius said, smiling spitefully. “Just be a good girl, and don't try to break free of these things … if you ever do, well, let's just say there will be no need for you here …”
He stood up laughing chaotically, leaving Kari crying silently. She stared after him, and then turned to Ken, who still looked lifeless. “Oh no …”
 
Meanwhile …
“Find anything yet, Izzy?” Tentomon asked, flying up to his partner, who was typing wildly into his laptop. “All this research is making my dizzy … wow, that rhymed!”
“Not yet Tentomon …” Izzy said. “There can be suggestions that connect to our situation but there has to be some logical explanation.”
“So you're saying that Davis and the others are stuck in a separate dimension?”
“I don't know …” Izzy shrugged, biting his lip. “Maybe. We've come across weirder things before; this shouldn't make any difference …”
Tai stood up from where he sat on a nearby rock. He marched over to Izzy, frowning, “We still haven't found anything yet?”
“No … but we're trying.”
“I don't want predicaments! I want results!” Tai cried, throwing his hands up in the air. “We've been trying this stuff out for hours! If we can't find anything, that's no good then!”
Izzy looked up, sighing, “Please Tai, we're gonna need you to cooperate with us …”
“Izzy's right, Tai …” Matt said. “We've gotta be patient if we want to find out what's wrong.”
“I realize that, Matt. But how would you feel if your sibling gets kidnapped by your protégé and you've got no clue what's happening? TK's safe and sound but Kari's kidnapped, and Davis's turned evil … and we don't even know where Ken is.”
Sora looked at Tai, sadly. She had always known Tai to be a bigger version of Davis; reckless, stubborn and brave. Although he had matured, she could still see the little kid she used to play soccer with. Tai had always been protective of Kari, always looking out for her, always seeing she was in no harm. It was obvious he'd feel this way.
“Tai …” she said, softly. “It's going to be OK. We'll find a way out of this mess, I know we will.”
He stared at her for some while, before sighing and sitting back down on the rock. “Fine … it's just that … I don't want to see her get hurt …”
“You've never wanted to see her get hurt, Tai,” Matt said. “I understand. I feel the same way about TK, I'm just not that defensive, cause' I know he can take care of things himself.”
Matt was right. Tai had to give Kari space, to see what she could do by herself. He couldn't help it if it was something big, but that was because he had always been there for her, ever since they were kids … when Kari got ill. He squinted through the trees, the afternoon sun shining into his eyes. He loved this place, and the adventures they had when they were little; why shouldn't he let Kari have them? But this was different.
“You're right …” Tai said, nodding. “I'm sorry I blew my top … this situation is very risky, and it's not the same like the other adventures we've had.”
“That's true …” said Matt.
There sat there in silence for a while, only Izzy typing away on his laptop. Tai was about to speak up to suggest whether they should set up camp when Biyomon came running up from between some oak trees.
“Sora, Sora, Sora!” she cried, running up the auburn-haired girl. “You've gotta come see this!”
“What's wrong, Biyomon?” Sora asked, frowning. They had let the Digimon wander around while they examined this mystery after they cut off the connection with TK.
“Well, I was just walking around with Agumon and Gabumon when there came this big shiny ray of light and we, we looked and well … you've just gotta see it!” Biyomon said, frantically. She pulled at Sora's hand and led her through the trees.
“Hey, what about us?” Matt asked, standing up.
“You guys come too!” Biyomon's voice called towards them.
Tai and Matt ran after the two. Izzy was too busy captivated in his research and said he'd come if it was something really important. From the sounds of it, it seemed it was.
“What was it you wanted to …” Tai began once they reached the destination, but stopped once he saw what the others were gawking at. An immensely bright light was shining at them from a tall tower situated nearby. It was made of glass, and looked surprisingly ancient.
“Woah!” Matt said, shielding his eyes from the light. “Some light!”
Something started vibrating against Tai's legs, and he reached into his pant pocket to find it was his Digivice. It was whirring and was shining almost as brightly as the light on the tower. “What's this?”
Matt pulled out his own to find it was reacting the same way as Tai's.
“What's happening?” Sora asked, looking at her own responding Digivice. She turned to Matt, “This is weird!”
“Izzy, come over here!” Tai bellowed, knowing this was definitely something imperative. “Quick!”
 
* * * *
“Oh … this is useless …” Yolei mumbled. She was walking through the forest with TK and Cody, lagging behind. “I feel horrible.”
“I feel the same way,” Hawkmon said. He was resting in her arms, and still hadn't fully recovered from the battle. Out of the three Digimon, it was only Patamon who had healed successfully. He was riding on TK's head, staring straight ahead into the misty forest.
“Don't lose hope just yet Yolei,” TK told her. “Anything can happen.”
“I hope you're right, TK,” Yolei said.
Following Izzy's orders, the three were supposed to move onwards through the forest, finding anything that had anything to do with this place on their way. It was better than letting something find them first.
“The thing I find really strange,” Cody said, breaking the short silence, “Is why we're in another part of the Digiworld while Tai and the others are actually in the original Digiworld.”
“Well, that's what Izzy's trying to find out …” said TK. He had to keep strong; he had to believe there would be a way out of this. The other two already felt discouraged, but he couldn't. He was the Digidestined of Hope.
“I just wish Ken's alright,” Yolei said, her voice barely audible. “I don't know what I'd do if something happened to him …”
TK knew Yolei really cared about Ken. She had cared for him ever since he became a Digidestined … no wonder she became his girlfriend. She always said she would. Once she came up with this idea for a double date, her and Ken with him and Kari. Those were one of the many times when people mistook him and Kari for a couple. Everyone thought they'd be great together, that they were destined for each other. But TK, although he had feelings for Kari in the past, knew she was no possession. And surprisingly so did Davis.
Davis had become mature; although it didn't seem like it sometimes, just like Tai before him. He began treating Kari as a true friend, not just a crush and this strengthened his friendship with TK as well.
“That kid …” he muttered under his breath. He hoped he'd be able to put Davis back to his correct state. It seemed peculiar for Davis to be like he was now …
“Was there something you said, TK?” Patamon asked, looking down at his face.
“No … nothing,”
“You said something … are you thinking about Davis?”
TK sighed, putting his hands into his pant pockets. “Yeah, I am Patamon … I can't believe that's our Davis.”
“Yeah, and who could believe that Veemon can digivolve to a monster like MeganicVeedramon?” Patamon said.
“Yep. I hope we can fix this mess before it gets even worse …”
 
 
“The time has come … bring him to me …”
Rita bowed down slow, shaking slightly, “Y-yes Master …”
She straightened up, turned around and hurried through the dark corridor, her footsteps echoing around the walls. She came to a door and pushed it open, whispering as she did, “Cyrius! The boy, we need the boy!”
“Right …” From out of the shadows stepped out Cyrius, his black cloak covering him from head to toe. For a moment they stood in the darkness in silence, till a distant thudding noise came from close by. Cyrius walked towards the source of the noise and came out of the dark carrying Ken in his arms.
“Where's the girl?” Rita asked.
“I've made sure she was out before I brought the boy in, don't worry,” Cyrius replied, his grey eyes gleaming oddly.
“Excellent …” a smile traced Rita's lips as she walked back down the corridor. “So it begins …”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note: Finally the eighth chapter is done! I've even gotta admit the story was getting kinda boring in the middle … but now it's turned a corner.
Review if you want and hope you enjoyed this chapter of the Digimon Millennium!
Cheerio! ^^