Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Millenium ❯ Davis Impaired ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Nope, I don't own Digimon … just the story! You can't sue me.
 
Author's Note: I am so sorry for taking so long with updating. It's been pretty hectic for me … but anyway, thanks for your reviews! And your patience! Boy, am I pumped up now! That's a pretty good thing ... this chapter might be worth the wait. I kinda forgot about the Digimon when I made the scene between Matt, Sora, Davis and Izzy so, er … well; just say they hung back during the whole occurrence.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Chapter Thirteen
 
Davis Impaired
 
“Guys …” Izzy was saying slowly, as though responding to a question on a paper. “Don't you feel something strange going on?”
Davis glanced at him. Izzy had a tense look on his face and his red hair was soaring backwards in the breeze that had just brewed up.
“Yeah we do, Izzy,” Matt said dryly, looking back. “We've known since we ended up stuck in this place and … and well, right now, things aren't getting any better!”
“No, I mean, this airstream,” said Izzy. “Isn't it weird that it just appeared?” Matt looked at Davis, who hurriedly nodded and said, “Izzy's right! This is exactly what we felt before we arrived here!”
“`You' meaning, you and the others, right?” Sora asked. The rest of the Digimon stopped walking and began listening intently to the conversation.
Davis nodded, “Yeah … this might be hazardous!”
“Alright then,” Matt took out his Digivice and nodded to Gabumon. “Time to Digivolve, I think.”
Gabumon nodded and in mere minutes, the grand wolf-type was standing over them, his fur flying in the wind. Matt smiled and looked at Sora, “Alright, I think we need Birdramon as well, Sora.”
“Biyomon digivolve to … Birdramon!” The giant bird-like Digimon appeared as well, her wings gleaming despite the darkness that had swallowed them. Sora climbed onto her and helped Izzy on.
“Hop on, Davis,” Matt ordered, breaking the younger man's train of thought. “We're gonna try and outrun this twister!”
Davis frowned; not sure if whatever he was doing would work, but nonetheless hoisted himself onto Garurumon. He was holding Wormmon in his arms. The little Digimon had managed to gain consciousness but was still hurt. Veemon sat behind Davis, his arms tightly strapped around his partner's waist. Matt looked down at Garurumon, “Alright now, let's get going!”
Taking off at a starting speed, Garurumon leaped through the dry plains. Davis felt a sudden rush of wind that had absolutely nothing to do with how fast they were going. He looked sideways to see Birdramon sweeping through the air at graduate speed, Sora and Izzy seated on her. Izzy had both his arms full, holding equally his laptop and Tentomon. He was also having a hard time hanging on, but was amazingly managing.
“Hey Matt,” Davis said, squinting through the blustery weather. “Is it me, or are we losing the race?”
“What do you -” Matt stopped short as he realized Davis was right. The current in the air had multiplied double, and he could feel Garurumon slowing down. Birdramon was straining to stay in the air, squawking every now and then.
“Oh man …” Matt breathed, trying to stay calm. He looked back at Davis, “Hey, can't Veemon digivolve?”
“I already told you, he can't,” Davis said. “He's not capable for some reason.”
“Great, this is just another addition to our problems,” Matt murmured, tightening his grip around Garurumon. The Digimon growled deeply, “Matt! I'm not sure I can take this anymore!”
“My backside's all sore!” Veemon wailed, his eyes shut tight. “I can't take this either!”
“Just hang in there, pal!” Davis cried. His eyes flashed fiercely as he thought of his friends, “We can do this!”
Garurumon gave a yelp as he felt himself rise a little and Matt gasped when he felt them taking altitude. The wind was getting harsher and Garurumon was having a hard time controlling his traction. Davis swallowed hard, “This isn't good!”
His attention was drawn to his right where Birdramon was swaying in the storm helplessly. Both Sora and Izzy were holding on for their lives and Tentomon was doing no better. Davis felt that familiar drawing presence of darkness overcome him and them he felt totally numb, as if he was standing in a blizzard with no safety. And suddenly, as soon as it happened, the sentiment unconstrained him completely.
 
X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x x X x X x X x X x X
 
 
Davis realized he was lying on his back on what appeared to be a stone floor. Very cold. Pleading with his aching bones, Davis managed to sit up and accustom himself to his surroundings. His ribs screamed at him and he winced terribly, but with great effort, he stood up on his feet as well, though not steadily. He almost fell back down when he saw Matt on the ground unconscious. Sora lay next to him, her arm curved in an awkward angle and her auburn hair sprawled across her pretty face and Izzy was lying farther away from the three of them. Their Digimon were slouching in a bunch, one on the other, then same thing all Digidestined did whenever they entered the Digiworld. Davis's smile faded when he thought of his friends. Whom he had abandoned. Thinking he should wake the others up first, he turned to the blonde.
“Matt?” he called groggily. “Get up!”
The Digidestined of Friendship still lay there, unmoving. Davis swore quietly and decided to search the surrounding they were in. He felt as if time was playing with him and he didn't like it at all.
“You don't have to investigate, you know,” a deep voice startled him, making him jump. “I can tell you all you need to know …”
Davis turned around, an odd chill striking him. His eyes turned wide at the sight of a hooded figure. Although it wasn't visible, Davis could tell he was smirking. For some reason, he thought he had seen this man before. The figure walked a few steps forward before Davis held out his hand in an impeding gesticulation.
“Wait!” he said, his voice unnaturally shrill. “Who-who are you?”
“Not scared, are you Davis?” the man's smile widened.
“I am not scared of you!” Davis yelled, surprised at the sudden valor in his voice. “Who are you? And how do you know my name?”
“Just call me Kaze,” the man replied casually. “And if you're wondering why you've been suddenly brought here, I will tell you … oh, and you're popular here in the Digiworld, so it's not hard to forget you heroes…”
“Why am I the only one up?” Davis asked, waving a hand to his friends on the floor.
Kaze raised a brow, “You must have an extraordinary amount of willpower to get up … especially after such an assault like that.”
Davis frowned, “So you were the one who send that storm out on us!”
“Very well done. Good to see you are catching on quickly,” Kaze said.
“So then …” Davis stepped forward this time, but with more gallantry. “You must know where my friends are!”
“Yes, you are smart … but you might not use your intelligence at times, I think,” said Kaze with lust. “You're friends are all safe and sound …
Davis narrowed his eyes. Somehow, he just knew he couldn't trust this guy. There was too much mystery in the air enduring over him. And he also had a feeling that he had a big role in all of this. If he had Kari, Ken and the others, then it was bad.
“Trust me in this,” Kaze spoke up, startling Davis. “I can get you back to the Real World and I will ensure everything turns out alright. I just need your help.”
How do I know I can trust him? Davis thought, examining the man in front of him. He's just got too much immorality around him to be good …
“Well then, you have a lot of time to think about your answer,” Kaze turned around, his head inched towards the side. “For now … I think we need to have a little discussion.”
“ … Discussion?” Davis raised his eyebrows. “On what?”
“The reason I need your help, of course.” Kaze walked onwards, his cloak flying behind him. “Follow me.”
Davis hesitated but proceeded to follow the retreating figure all the same. Along the way, he noticed how primeval the place was. It looked very ancient, and he was sure it probably was. He remained cautious as he came to a stop behind Kaze, who was now beginning to make him more suspicious.
“So … what exactly is your plan?” Davis asked.
“I need you to use your powers in this plan,” Kaze said, turning to him. “I need you to open the gate that leads to the Dark Ocean and the Real World.”
“What?” Davis cried. “But we sealed the gate to the Dark Ocean years ago. And if we open it, who knows what'll happen!”
“Davis … just listen to me,” Kaze said. “Your friend, Kari will be safe and sound … you'll just have to make a few sacrifices for all this to work out, you know …”
“What do you mean by `sacrifices'?” Davis asked.
Kaze cleared his throat, “Oh … your friend, Ken will have to go.”
He watched Davis's face, which was bowed to the ground. His bangs were covering his features so Kaze couldn't exactly see what he was thinking. At last, Davis looked up, a sinister kind of fire lit in his eyes making them more baleful. “No …”
“Hm?” Kaze was hoping he had heard wrong. “What did you say?”
“I said, No …” Davis repeated. His hand curled into a fist, “I'm sorry. You can take me, but not any of my friends …”
Kaze felt his control slipping away but managed a cool façade, “Oh … I see … but this plan will not work without Ken. I can use that Child of Light but you won't like that either.”
Davis frowned, “Whatever your plan is, I'm not going along with it. Because I know what's gonna happen if that gate is open, and no offense, but you're not exactly the type to trust, you know.”
He felt like his younger self at that moment, taking the side of what his instincts told him. But Kaze wasn't about to give up that easily.
“Have you seen the darkness that covers this land?” Kaze asked, lifting his head so his crimson-red eyes flashed even more than usual. Davis stayed silent, so Kaze continued. “Why do you think it's here? It's clearly came from the Dark Ocean, and you think that the gate can hold all of that back? Using the gate for a greater purpose than this will make the Digiworld a better place …”
“The Digiworld was perfectly fine before all this happened!” Davis said. “And I've got a feeling this did happen when you and those other assailant Digimon appeared.”
Kaze narrowed his eyes. He had heard about Davis's extraordinary strength but never did he know that the boy was this stubborn. And he seemed to know exactly what Kaze was up to. He couldn't use him anymore, but he could get rid of him.
“Very well, then …” Kaze said. “I'll try one more thing, to make this all … go my way …”
Davis caught the man smile furtively before he was thrown backwards. He landed on his back painfully, adding more stings to the wounds he already had gotten. He breathed in scarcely and opened an eye to see Kaze standing over him with a hand positioned towards the floor at him. Davis's eyes widened as he saw a ball of fire appear between his fingers and he gritted his teeth, summoning energy to call out one name.
“VEEMOONN!”
 
X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x x X x X x X x X x X
 
Kari gasped loudly, drawing the others' attention towards her. Her eyes flickered slightly and her face had gone pale. This made TK worry.
“Kari … Kari, what's wrong?” he asked, distressed.
“Didn't you hear that … yell?” Kari asked, her voice barely above a whisper. “I heard someone shouting … and - and it … sounded like Davis …”
“Davis?” Ken frowned. “How can he be here?”
TK shrugged, “I don't know … Kari, maybe it's just your imagination -”
“No!” Kari's shout startled them all. “No, I'm right! Davis is here!”
“Kari …” TK's eyes trained on his friend's expression. Streaks of her hair fell down her face and her eyes were burning with hope. Something he didn't have at that moment. “Kari … how … how can you be so sure?”
“TK, I know it …” Kari said. “He is here … I think he came back for us …”
 
X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x x X x X x X x X x X
 
“You're only going to get in the way, I can see that …” Kaze said, advancing towards Davis who was now sprawled on the floor with his back against the wall. Blood was dripping down his face and his previously white school shirt was now dyed in an interesting shade of scarlet. Kaze was sure he had done his work well, but one thing bothered him. The boy had one eye still opened and was glaring at him, even through all that corporal punishment he had received.
“You're pressing your luck …” Kaze took out an object from within his robes and held it in his hands. It was a circular shaped device with a few wires descend down to the ground. It blinked a few times and Kaze kneeled down in front of the injured Digidestined. “Maybe this will make you think what you've done, although I doubt you'll be able to do even that …”
He pushed the object into Davis's abdomen and held it there for a moment. The wires that were dropping down suddenly rose and dug themselves deep into the boy's stomach, making him cry out stridently in sheer pain. Kaze couldn't help smiling at the helplessness shown unmistakably on his face. “Slow and effective … just the way I like it …”
A minute later, Davis slid down the wall and onto the ground. The device still clung onto his stomach. Kaze stood up, making sure Davis heard him well and clear before he fell lifeless. “Just be sure that if you ever try escaping or anything of the sort, this thing won't go easy on you.”
Davis held his senses up for a fraction of a second before giving into the darkness that was pulling him in. This time it was different.
 
X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x x X x X x X x X x X
 
“My heels are killing me …” Mimi groaned as she trudged through the desert-like area with Tai and Joe. She kept stopping every now and then to rub the soles of her shoes or to sit on the ground.
“Who on earth told you to wear shoes at such a circumstance like this?” Joe asked angrily.
Tai rolled his eyes, “At this rate, we won't get anywhere …”
“Right,” Agumon agreed.
Mimi frowned, “Hey, it's not my fault I want to look good every day! It's just natural!”
“Natural?” Tai said. “It's aberrant! No one wants to look good every day! It's just you and your frilly girly ways!”
“Excuse me?” Mimi gasped. “What do you mean by my `girly' ways?
“I mean that it's just … unmanly!” Tai said, glaring at her.
“Oh course its unmanly! You males don't know when to clean up, do you?” Mimi retorted.
Joe swallowed hard, “Er … guys?”
“We're every bit as clean as girls are!” Tai snapped, ignoring him.
Mimi let out mocking laughter and Tai blinked. She smiled, “Oh please, you're seriously cracking me up here!”
“Guys?” Joe tried again.
“Not now, Joe …” Tai said, then turned back to Mimi. “What exactly is your problem, eh?”
“You're my problem, Tai Kamiya!” Mimi shouted. “You just think of yourself all the time!”
Agumon, Gomamon and Palmon watched the little `conversation' with interest. It was amusing them to see a sort of debate between the two.
“Look who's talking!” Tai snickered. “You're the one who has to spend about a gazillion Yen on who-knows-what's!”
“I use dollars, you dolt! Or maybe you haven't realized that I've been living in America!”
As Tai was about to shout back another reply, Joe shouted at the top of his lungs, “GUYS!?”
“WHAT?!” Tai and Mimi turned to Joe, their expressions furious. He swallowed hard and pointed ahead of them. They looked towards what he was signaling at and both gasped in unison. Ahead of them hung a shadowy tower, its many floors pointing straight up towards the gray clouds.
“Wha- What's that?” Mimi whimpered, breaking the silence that had pasted a few minutes.
Tai smiled, “Whatever it is, I've got a feeling Kari and the others are here … let's go!”
He walked on ahead swiftly. He stopped seconds later to realize the others hadn't moved yet. The two of them had an air of fright hovering around them. Tai frowned, “Come on, guys!”
“I-In there?” Joe stammered. He tried regaining his composure, “But … well, can't we wait a while before we do?”
Tai's eyes twinkled briefly and he beamed, “Great idea, Joe! A surprise attack! That'll get them off their guard with protecting the others or something!”
“Hey, that is a good idea …” Mimi said, slowly. Tai arched an eyebrow at her sudden mood change. But as long as it meant that they were finally onto something, he didn't care if she had to stop multiple times because of her shoes.
 
X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x x X x X x X x X x X
 
Davis awoke to something pressing into his stomach. He tried lifting his head but he screamed loudly as he felt it throb violently. His head seemed it weighed more than his body. He bit his lip as the pain increased twofold and tasted blood.
“Damn …” he breathed, trying to keep his eyes open. What the hell did that guy do to me?
Giving in, he closed his eyes, “Get up … D-Davis!”
He couldn't believe it was so hard just to speak. He was hurt too much to even think straight. Not only that, but when he rested his hand onto his front, he felt something metallic. He felt pretty useless, lying there bleeding feverishly. Although it cost him greatly, he was glad he hadn't agreed with the offer Kaze had given him. Better him than Ken or the others to get beaten up. He now wished he had enough strength to at least sit up and take a good look around him. Feeling extremely futile, he felt himself drifting off to sleep.
 
X x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x x X x X x X x X x X
 
“C'mon guys! It's this way!”
It had been a while since Matt and the others woke up in a murky room. Or rather, they were woken up by a hysterical Veemon who was blabbering something about Davis. And now, they were running after the blue Digimon trying to figure out where he was taking them.
“Veemon!” Matt shouted. “How are you sure that Davis is in trouble?”
He was holding Wormmon who still wasn't in good health, so it took effort for him to run efficiently. Next to him, Sora spoke up, “He wasn't there when we woke up, so Veemon could be right!”
After following Veemon from one room and another, they finally entered a dungeon-like area which held the same feeling of insecurity as the rest of the place did. Matt studied the place with dangerous curiosity but soon snapped out of it as Veemon scuttled towards a large platform that stood a few feet away from where they were. Matt followed him and he swore at the sight before him, although a feeling of relief and fear together washed through him as well.
“TK!” he shouted and he jumped onto the platform after handing Wormmon to Sora. He stared in deep repent at his brother, who was chained to the wall with shackles, and looking beaten out of his wit. He walked slowly towards him. “TK …”
The younger blonde stirred softly and his azure-blue eyes gradually opened, looking glossy in the dim light. “Matt …” A smile traced his features, making him look a tad better. “Y-You're here?”
“I am, I'm here now!” Matt said, giving him a reassuring smile. He turned around to look at Sora and Izzy, “Help me unchain these guys!”
And soon, the three of them including the Digimon were set to work on freeing the hostage Digidestined. As Sora approached Kari to unlock her, the brunette spoke up, “W-where's Tai?”
Sora kept hesitant before replying, “He's on his way, Kari. Don't worry.”
Kari nodded boldly and before long, she was on her feet as well, rubbing at the marks the shackles had made on her wrists. She noticed Veemon staying unusually quiet while the others were lost in supporting conversations. Ken and Wormmon were engaged in a tearful salutation after seeing each other again after so long.
When everyone was finally freed of, TK asked the one question each of them was timid in asking. “Did you guys bump into Davis?”
Matt exchanged a brief look with Sora before turning back to his brother and the others. “He … well … we did bump into him. But, when we arrived at this place, we kind of lost him …”
“Oh,” TK's face fell. He had hoped that Davis would be better off than they were. He felt even guiltier as he thought of the argument they had.
“We've gotta find him!” Veemon cried out, alarming them all. “He called my name! He wanted me there with him!”
Kari bit her lip, “I … I heard him as well …”
Before they could do anything, Veemon began to run towards the doorway of the room, determined to find his partner. “Veemon!” TK called. “Come back!”
Just then, a sudden rush of air overcame him and Veemon rapidly fell on his back. When he looked up, he saw that a man in a cloak was standing over him. A gloomy look completed his appearance and Veemon barely had time to scuttle to his feet when the man said, “I'm pleased you're all reunited.”
“Kaze!” TK shouted.
“I'd love to have an introduction right about now,” Kaze said and he lifted a hand. “But I think it can wait till others of your group join you.”
He waited for a moment then released the energy to his finger tips and like magic, a gust of wind blew roughly against the Digidestined, making them lose balance. Within a minute, Tai, Mimi and Joe sat clustered together before Kaze, all looking shocked. I could've sworn we were just planning an attack … Tai thought.
“Tai!” Kari cried, diverting Tai's attention towards them. He grinned as he saw his little sister at seeing her after months.
“Kari!”
Kaze smiled, “This is charming …”
“Who are you?” Tai snapped, looking up at him in displeasure. “And what do you want with us?”
“You'll find out soon enough,” Kaze said. From behind him stepped out Rita and Cyrius. Even together they didn't look more horrendous than their master did. “But we'll want your help. To go along with us in our preparation …”
“What do you want our help for?” Matt asked, folding his arms. He narrowed his eyes. He knew that this guy was not to be trusted. It all seemed too shady.
“I need the help of your powers …” he stared at the confused looks that watched him. “Each of you has potent powers. Each strong in their own right.”
Veemon glared at him, “How do you know that?”
Kaze's smirk seemed to widen as he set his eyes on the Rookie. “Aah … you're the Digimon partner of Davis, am I right?”
“You got that right!” Veemon snarled. “What have you done with Davis!?”
“He's been set to his rightful place. Let's just say he won't be bothering us anymore.”
The atmosphere seemed to have changed as those words came out of Kaze's mouth. Kari's eyes widened in disbelief and Tai and Ken twitched wordlessly. The others stayed just as doubtful and the silence lingered till Veemon broke it.
“What did you do?!” he shouted and sprang to his feet. He ran at Kaze and prepared to launch himself at him.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note: Everything's happening so fast …. …. Feeling … dizzy. Anyways, I decided to add in the moment of truth. I guess it is what you guys were waiting for. And Davis … dead? I'm thinking otherwise ^_~
Please review! Cheerio!