Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Millenium ❯ Kaze the Initiator ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Digimon blah blah blah blah blah…
 
Author's Note: Sorry for taking so long to update. Was pretty busy the past few days and besides, the connection to the internet was terminated. ^ ~ Anyways, hope this chapter's good enough for ya! Enjoy!
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Chapter Twelve
 
Kaze the Initiator
 
“Davis!”
Veemon nearly tripped as he tried following his partner's hasty steps. He was still confused over what had happened. He knew Davis didn't give up that easily, and also knew he wouldn't just ditch his friends like that.
“Davis, please slow down!” Veemon shouted. It was amazing how Davis was able to move, considering his severe injuries from Apocalymon's attacks.
He nearly ran into Davis's legs as he the brunette stopped suddenly. Rubbing his head, Veemon looked up at him, “Please Davis, tell me what happened! You wouldn't just give up like that! It's ridiculous!”
Davis drew in a shaky breath, letting it loose the same way. The air lingered with stress, and even though Davis knew he was a long way away from the others, he also knew he couldn't go back.
“I … I …” Davis began, his voice low, uneasy. “I didn't know what came over me …”
“C'mon Davis,” Veemon said. “You don't give up. And why were you so mad with TK?”
Davis closed his eyes, “He was putting a lot of demands onto me, Veemon. `Everything will be OK' and all of that … it's not like I had to force to choose that everything was gonna be OK.”
“Davis, you've been though this before. Why have you gone so low as to lose your friends' trust?”
Davis didn't answer that. He silently cursed, drawing in yet another shaky breath. He had felt completely bleak when he shouted at TK. It was as if something had taken over his mind, yet he wanted it to and he was completely aware of everything.
“So maybe we should go back -” Veemon began but stopped as Davis shot him a look.
“We are not going back!” Davis said. His expression softened at the look on his partner's face, and he added, “Not till we find some clues …”
“What do mean by that?”
“I mean we're gonna keep fighting …” Davis sighed for the third time. “And then maybe, just maybe, we'll run into the others …”
Veemon smiled. That was more like it. But another part of him was still perplexed as to why Davis acted like that.
Davis himself was confused. He didn't know what had gone into him, but he felt it was, in some way, the right thing. A loud crash from nearby snapped him out of his thoughts and he turned his head towards the source.
“W-what was that?” Veemon stuttered, his eyes wider than usual.
Davis narrowed his eyes and slowly walked towards the direction the crash had come from, his chest pounding. His ribs started to hurt as he edged nearer and nearer, Veemon a step behind him. He could make out a figure on the ground, too small to be human and too big to be scrawny. The fog was blocking its features but Davis gave a loud shout when he noticed its green antennas and many legs.
“Wormmon!” he cried. Veemon ran forward and Davis followed, his angst increasing when he saw the Digimon nearly lifeless.
“Oh man … Ken is not going to be happy,” he said as he picked him up. He had held him before, but he seemed to have lost a lot of pounds. Wormmon groaned a little before falling back asleep.
“What do we do, Davis?” Veemon asked as Davis covered the larva-type with his school jacket.
“We'll have to keep him with us,” Davis replied. “But when he wakes up, we can ask him who did this to him. And where he'd been.”
“Good thing his condition's not that bad,” Veemon said.
Davis stood up on his feet, squinting through the fog, “But we'd never know. Let's just keep going, pal …”
Veemon nodded and just as he stepped forward to follow the Bearer of Miracles, another crash, louder this time, occurred from the distance.
“What now?” Davis said.
“I just wish these crashes could stop already!” Veemon cried, half-exasperated, half-afraid.
Davis gestured with a nod of his head, “Let's go, Veemon!”
“Right behind you …”
 
 
Kari was curiously quiet. Not that TK should be worried. Everyone was quiet since Davis's departure, but the entire area around her was filled with a hassled tone. It seemed the light that was usually emitted from her was weakened. She was sitting next to TK, looking down at her hands which were placed on her lap. A solitary tear silently ran down her right cheek and TK felt an urge to wipe it away. Which he did.
“Kari,” he said, watching her tense up. “Please stop crying … it's all you've been doing since -”
He didn't finish his sentence. He couldn't bring himself to say Davis's name, and he felt uncomfortable as he drifted off into silence.
“I'm sorry TK …” Kari finally said. Her voice was cracked with lack of use. “I just c-can't help it.”
TK sighed, looking sideways at Kari. He smiled, “Hey, I know you're upset, but -
“What could you possibly know?” Kari snapped suddenly. TK blinked in surprise, and she felt ashamed. “I-I'm sorry TK, I didn't mean to shout …”
“It's alright …” TK placed a comforting arm over her shoulder.
“I just can't believe he'd … give up like that,” Kari sniffed, trying to hold back more tears. “He's the one who's always t-told us to … n-never give up.”
“Yeah, I'm surprised he doesn't have the Crest of Hope himself,” TK tried to joke, but failed. He felt lame. Turning solemn as he eyed Kari, he said, “Kari, I promise. He will come back. Sooner or later, he will realize what he's done … he'll be back.”
Kari inhaled deeply and let it out, feeling childish but nonetheless whispering, “Promise?”
“I promise,” TK said. “He will be back.”
A question came to his mind and he asked it without thinking twice, “You like him, don't you.”
It was more of a statement then an actual question, but he was content with what he did when he saw a hue of pink over Kari's cheeks. She squirmed away from his hold around her shoulders and frowned, “What?”
“You like him …” TK repeated, trying his hardest not to smile and give it away.
Kari couldn't understand the fluttery feeling she suddenly felt, nor could she stop it. Her stomach turned over slightly and she was closely aware of the other's listening in on their … conversation. She looked down, positively sure everyone could hear her heart beating.
TK sighed, satisfied with what he saw and leaned in closely, whispering, “That's exactly what I mean …”
Kari gave a small gasp. She raised a hand to her chest, keeping it over her heart. TK turned to his other side, pretending to be busy with his shoelace. They're both the same when it comes to this …
He felt guilty whenever his mind wandered back to his fight with Davis. They were such good friends, but at that moment he had had enough. Davis was different. He didn't seem like himself. “Guys, I think we should start moving on,” TK announced, getting up. “The quicker we find a way outta this, the better it'll be.”
“Right,” Cody nodded.
TK saw Kari had gone silent again, but it wasn't the same as before. Taking in the blush on her cheeks, it was a lot different.
“TK …” Patamon gave him a small smile. “What exactly did you tell her?”
“I told her what she needed to know,” TK replied.
His hair was now dancing in the breeze that had mysteriously appeared. Finding this strange, TK looked round at the others who had the same confused look on their faces. In mere seconds, the breeze that was quite peaceful turned into a ferocious gust of wind.
“What is this!?” Yolei cried, trying to keep her skirt down from flying upwards. Kari was experiencing the same difficulty and TK would have laughed if the situation wasn't so serious. Before they could do something, darkness swallowed them completely and the next second, intense illumination shone at them. TK kept his eyes shut tightly, the damages he received from Apocalymon seeming to burn.
“TK!” Patamon cried, and TK's eyes flew open. What he saw in front of him made his shout out loud.
There stood a figure, fully clad in a black cloak that reached his ankles. The only details they saw of him were a twine of dark-blonde hair that slipped out from beneath the hood. But the energy he held seemed emitted from within him. He seemed even more intimidating than Cyrius and Rita … He smirked when he saw their startled faces, and walked forward.
“Digidestined …” he spoke in his deep, yawning voice. He looked upwards and they saw a tint of scarlet inside of the hood. TK felt his heart beat speed up and he swallowed hard as the figure looked back at them.
“I am Kaze … creator of this realm,” he said. He gaze fell back on them, and he continued, “I've been wanting to meet you all for some time now …”
“What do you mean?” TK blurted out, his eyes narrowed. Uncertainty replaced his fear, although there was still that air of tension around him.
“Why don't we talk somewhere less quieter … more darker, perhaps?” Kaze said, and his hands rose to the black sky. TK felt that same rush of wind overcome him and suddenly, the ground slid from under his feet, engulfing him in darkness once again.
 
 
“W-what was that?!”
Davis stared at a position a distant away from them, surprised at the sudden beam that shone throughout the land. Veemon had also stopped walking and the two of them were standing, immobilized on the spot. Wormmon twitched a little in Davis's arms but fell back to sleep again.
Veemon gasped and he looked up at his partner, “Davis! Isn't that the place where you left the others?”
His heart skipped a beat as Davis realized the Digimon was right. His mind grew numb and he watched as the light began to flicker. It went off as fast as it had appeared, and then Davis came to his senses. Forgetting all about the crash that had occurred minutes ago, he began running towards the source where the light had come from.
“Davis, wait!” Veemon called after him. “Davis - you've gotta see this!”
Skidding to a halt, Davis turned around and he almost fell over as he saw what he expected least to see.
“M-Matt? Izzy!?” Davis frowned. “W-what are you guys doing here?!”
“Davis!” Sora ran forward, worry etched on her face. “Are you alright!?”
“Good thing we found you …” Matt said, reaching him as well. He placed a hand on his shoulder, “Are you OK?”
Considering his wounds, it didn't look at all like he was fine. Sora was staring at him with her mouth open in a silent scream and Matt, although trying to control himself, looked dismayed at the blood strains.
“I - I'm fine!” Davis turned around, his eyes searching for the spot.
His breath shallow, he croaked. “But the others - I've gotta go after them!”
“Wait a damn minute -” Matt grabbed the cuff of his collar and pulled him forward. Hoisting him up high, he said, “What do you mean by that? What happened to the others?!”
Davis hissed, shutting his eyes tight eyes. His back ached in pain as his shirt rubbed against his wounds. Sora frowned, “Matt - let him down! It's not his fault! Besides, he's already as hurt as it is!”
Matt, his azure eyes wide, groaned in anguish and nodded. When his feet touched the floor, Davis felt a pang of guilt hit him like a heavy brick. Matt was worried for TK and if something happened to them, it would be all his fault. Sighing, Davis decided to tell them what had happened. About how he lost his mind and fought against TK, who was right. Like always.
Izzy frowned, “So what you're saying is that you saw a bright flash of light coming from the place where you left the others?”
“Something like that, yeah …” Davis looked down. He didn't want to look at Matt; he had hurt too many people already. To his surprise, he didn't feel a fist come in contact with his face or anything like that. Looking up, he saw Matt staring back with an almost repentant expression on his face.
“Matt …” Davis said. “I'm so sorry … I - I wasn't there for them …”
Sora bit her lip, “It's alright Davis … we understand how you felt.”
“I … I didn't know what came over me …” Davis closed his eyes, feeling tears starting to form. His brain yelled at him furiously as images of Kari's tearful face and Ken's injured form appeared. Bowing his head, Davis let them fall.
“Davis …” Veemon murmured, falling to his side.
Matt looked in surprise and distress at the fallen leader. Now that he felt less livid, he noticed just the state Davis was in. His usually spiky hair was matted down, making him look more mature. His uniform was ripped in several places and there were bloodstains blotched on his dirty shirt. If anything, the kid reminded Matt of Tai …
“Davis,” he said when he found his voice. “Straighten yourself.”
“Huh …” Davis looked up, his glossy chocolate-brown eyes showing misunderstanding.
“Get up,” Matt leaned down and helped him to his feet. Davis stood there, unsteady, looking at Matt in disbelief. “We'll find them. Nothing will happen to them.” Matt said.
Davis felt more ashamed than ever. He had given himself up more than once and he had to be told to never give up. If he were to compare himself with the boy he once was, he'd think they both lived on different planets. Why had he become so weak? So frail?
Matt looked on as a familiar fire flickered on in Davis's eyes. He smiled slightly, knowing he had done the right thing. “So … are you ready?”
Davis nodded, his usually goofy smile plastered to his face. Veemon grinned up at him, “We've got our boy back!”
“That's for sure, Veemon,” Izzy said. “Now I can send a message to Tai. The thing is, I'm not sure I wanna break the news of Kari to him.”
“I will,” Davis spoke up, unexpectedly. Everyone looked at him, surprised ay his outburst. Davis shrugged, “This is the first practice I can do. Besides, to get my strength back, I have to do get done with stuff like this.”
Izzy handed his laptop wordlessly, and watched as Davis started typing the note. Sora blinked, “Er … what just happened?”
Matt smiled and put a arm around her shoulders, “Trust me Sora, whatever happened, happened for the best.” Sora nodded, perplexed at the sudden change. Davis shut the laptop closed, message sent, and beamed resolutely, “Let's go!”
“Alright!” Matt grinned. He waved his hand out, “After you!”
 
 
“Is the gate ready?”
Rita nodded hurriedly, her arms twitching as she poured dark energy out onto the horizon. “Nearly. Just mere minutes left, Master!”
“Good,” Kaze frowned, hearing shouts behind him. “I'll take care of these Digidestined …”
“Right.”
Kaze turned around, his cloak swishing around his ankles. He walked towards the Digidestined, who become quiet immediately. All except one. The Digidestined of Hope. His eyes slowly turning to slits, Kaze nodded silently. This one was a hard nut to crack. TK trashed around, his arms chained tightly to shackles and chains that were hung on the wall. “Let us go!” he roared.
“Don't worry, don't worry …” Kaze said, in satirical assurance. “You'll be out before you know it … but before I act, why don't I share with you my plan of … devastation.”
“We already know!” another voice blurted out. “You want to destroy the Digital Portal! And open the two seals!”
Kaze's eyes landed on a cobalt-haired teenager. He smiled, “Ah, Ken Ichijoji … I've heard so much about you. In fact, I really should not be surprised of your sudden outbreak.”
Ken glared at him, “Just what are you planning to do with the Dark Ocean anyway?”
“Yeah, and what have you done with all the other Digimon?” Cody asked. “We haven't seen one besides our Digimon since we've been here!”
“The Digimon are safe,” Kaze said. “In the original Digital World. All of you are inside of my creation, the Shadow World. Replicate of the Digiworld, yet not so alike as you must already know … once I break the seals, all your Digimon friends and companions will be in my control. I'll send them out to the Real World, causing destruction. Destroying the human race in the process …”
“You're disgraceful!” this time, it was Kari who had spoken.
Kaze's smile widened and he walked slowly towards her, “Ah … the Digidestined of Light … yes, yes … now I see why those lovely Scubamon want you so bad.”
Kari shivered hard, turning pale at the name of those things. TK flinched angrily, “Get away from her!”
“One my Millennium has been reborn …” Kaze said. “I'll definitely eradicate you all. Leaving one Queen of the Dark Ocean behind …”
“You won't lay a finger on her!” Gatomon hissed from where she was locked behind bars.
Kaze ignored her completely and continued, “Scubamon will be allowed into the Digital World and the Real World both … those two places; the Dark Ocean included will become one. My era of the Millennium will have begun.”
“But I see we're missing one person … without him, this plan will not take place,” Kaze said. “The Digidestined of Miracles … I'll seek him out, no worry.”
I guess it was a good thing Davis left us then … TK thought, his expression softening a little. He looked back at Kaze, “Then … who're these two you got with you?”
“Oh …” Kaze smiled. “I made them my minions when I visited the Real World a few years ago. I gave them a share of my power, making them powerful enough to destroy, but not too powerful as to betray me … We stayed in hiding till the time was right. And now, the moment will come … what I've been waiting for will happen.”
“NO!” TK yelled. “We will stop you!”
“It's a shame I'll have to do away with you. You could be handy, but then again, you will also be troublesome … just like that foolish worm Digimon …”
“Wormmon!” Ken shouted, furiously. “What the heck did you do with him?”
Kaze immediately became still, his head bent. TK stared, eyebrows raised to resolve on what he was doing. Kaze nodded, his eyes closed, “I see he wants to come and save you all … he's got three others with him. I could give him a little help.”
“What's he talking about?” Yolei asked in a hushed voice. “Does he mean Davis?”
“From the way he's talking … I think he does,” Ken replied. He dreaded the fact at what would happen if Davis and Kaze were to meet. If he knew Davis like he thought he did, then Davis might prevail over him, not even thinking of giving up. But after what he saw, he didn't think it was going to be that simple.
“I think I will assist him …” Kaze raised both arms and the familiar wave of airstream overcame them.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note: OK people. That's all for now. Hopefully more stuff will be explained in the next chapter. I'm trying to get done with most of the story till tomorrow. I didn't expect Davis to end up crying (What?! When?! How?!) but it turned out pretty well by me. Oh, and if you're wondering what tomorrow is: FIRST DAY OF THE SECOND TERM!!! (WHY?!)
Please review and don't give up on me! ^^
Cheerio!