Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Millenium ❯ Digidestined Seperated ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Digimon. If I did, well, I woulda considered myself Queen of the World!!
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Chapter Eleven
 
Digidestined Separated
 
“Davis? … Davis!”
Eyes snapping open, Davis found himself looking into a pair of crimson-brown eyes. Heartbeat quickening, he saw it was Kari staring down at him in concern.
“K-Kari?” he said, his voice husky.
Kari immediately smiled, relief washing over her face, “Great! You're awake!”
She helped him sit up, and when he looked around closely, he saw that TK and Yolei were also smiling, hurt but still smiling.
“Where … where are Ken and Cody?” Davis asked, noticing the two weren't around.
Yolei said, “They're just gone to collect some wood. We might not have Flamedramon to help us make fire, but we can try.”
Davis nodded and looked sideways to see Veemon lying next to him, a bushed out look on his face. He reached out a hand and rested it on his head, patting him.
“But … there are no woods here,” Davis said, noticing the still-thick fog around him. “What if they get lost?”
“They won't,” TK said, reassuringly. “The woods were quite near the tower. And Patamon and Armadillomon are with them. They could've easily analyzed the path they took.”
Davis nodded again. He was still confused about Apocalymon. Why had he just appeared like that and attacked them? He knew some Digimon were very protective about their territory, and it was obvious a Digimon like Apocalymon would live here but it was still mystifying.
“Are you OK now, Kari?” he asked her. She looked healthier than before. More active.
“Never better, Davis,” Kari said. “Oh, and TK told me just how much you were concerned about me.”
Davis shot a death glare to the blonde, who smirked. He would've killed him if he wasn't in such a weak condition. Then the next thing Kari said made him have second thoughts about killing TK.
“Thanks Davis …” Kari said, softly, looking down at her hands which were holding to her skirt. “I'm very grateful for that.”
Davis felt his cheeks warming up and he looked away to hide his blush, “Oh … it was, er, nothing.”
TK grinned at the sight of Davis's reddened face and from the sound of Yolei's giggle, it seemed she was enjoying the cute sight as well. He hadn't seen him in such an awkward position since their last adventures in the Digiworld.
Davis straightened up before he made any other silly actions. He felt even more confused than ever. Why was he suddenly so nervous around Kari?
“So … we should, er, contact Izzy and the others, don't you think?” he asked, trying to avoid Kari's gaze.
TK nodded, “I already did that. But the signal was blocked for some reason. All I heard was a weird beeping noise … it's very strange, but it just might have something to do with this mist.”
“You're right, TK,” Kari agreed.
“Since when did you become Izzy Izumi?” Davis asked him, rather hotly.
TK felt his smile widen. Looks like he had just pushed Davis's button, and the one which was probably hidden for the past four years.
“Well … I do study hard at school,” TK said, reasonably.
Davis closed his mouth, perplexed. Now he was shouting at TK? He was beginning to act like an eleven-year-old. Ashamed, he turned away from them, trying to think about something else other than this.
“So guys … any ideas for food?” Yolei asked, glumly. “I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse …”
“Same here, but I see no hope in finding any food the rate we're going,” Hawkmon piped up, unexpectedly.
“We could roast you, Hawkmon,” Yolei joked.
“I'm all skin and bones, besides, it's the ducks you want,” Hawkmon said, grinning.
Davis smiled, “Good to know there's still humor in the air.”
Ah, but that's not the only thing … TK thought, smugly. Love is in the air as well …
He didn't know why he was suddenly so interested in the relationship between Davis and Kari. Maybe because it was about time they found out they liked each other. TK only liked Kari as a friend, and he loved her as a sister. He thought way back then that maybe they were supposed to be together, but he never felt that way about her. There was someone he felt attached to though, but she was on the other side of the world … at least that's what he told himself.
“OK so … where do we go from here next?” Kari asked Davis, who immediately perked up.
Trying hard not to sink into those eyes again, he swallowed hard, trying to concentrate on her question, “Er … let's just wait for Ken and Cody. Then we'll decide.”
His head was swarming with thoughts. Her eyes were starting to work their magic on him … just like when they were eleven. Davis shook his head firmly. No, he wasn't going to let stupid thoughts get in the way of his and Kari's friendship. He wouldn't want to lose her if he thought like that.
 
.Older Digidestined.
“Agumon! Agumon, where are you?”
Tai looked around the vast land of dark terrain around him, knowing he was indeed alone. An odd chill was in the air, making him shudder terribly.
“Maaatt!” he called. “Sooora?!”
The last thing he remembered was that he had entered the vortex with all of them, and then he had suddenly dropped down into this land. He noticed all the characteristics of the place, and he realized that this was probably the Other Reign Gennai told them about. Where Kari was …
As he was about to move onwards, he heard someone screaming. A very high-pitched scream. Almost too familiar. Panic arouse him and he was going to shout out to her when he heard it was unexplainably coming from above him.
Looking up, he gawked to see Mimi falling down towards him. He was about to move but in a second, she fell, knocking the breath out of him.
“Phew … thanks for the safe landing, Tai,” Mimi said, smiling.
“Mimi - get off me!” Tai yelled, his voice muffled on the ground. “You're … heavy!”
“Oops!” Mimi shot up, and giggled. “Silly me!”
Tai rolled his eyes and stood up. Well … Mimi was here. But where were the rest of the guys?
“So, where are the others?” Mimi asked, looking around. Her smile faltered, “W-we're alone?”
As soon as she said that, more yells were heard from above them and this time Tai was ready. He grabbed Mimi's wrist and pulled her out of the way before Joe, Agumon and Palmon fell on her. Gomamon landed safely on Joe's head, just as Mimi had on Tai.
“Ouch …” Joe groaned. “Gomamon, would you please get off me?”
“Oh, sorry Joe!”
Joe stood up, straightening his shirt and hitching his glasses up his nose. Once he'd finished, he had noticed the environment they were in and frowned, “Er, guys … where exactly are we?”
“This is the Other Reign, Joe,” Tai said.
“Really?” Joe folded his arms. “I thought it would be better than this.”
Mimi nodded, “So did I. I expected it t be as beautiful and as dazzling as the Digiworld … except this is the Digiworld, right? Anyways, this place is so shadowy!”
“Hey, can we contact Matt and the others?” Tai asked Joe.
Joe took out his D-terminal, “I might be able to send a message. If they're here, then they can receive the message and will reply.”
As Joe got ready to write the message, Tai looked out onto the landscape, his eyes narrowed, “We will find an answer to all of this!”
I will find you, Kari! Tai frowned, his hands curled into fists. Nothing will happen to you!
 
.Younger Digidestined.
“Sorry guys, but this was all we could find,” Cody's voice broke through the silence the group was consumed in.
Davis asked, “Hey, what took you guys so long?”
“The fog,” Ken merely said. “It was difficult to find the forest, but Patamon flew onwards, continuously checking on what was near us.”
“Good work, pal!” TK said, grinning at his partner.
Patamon bowed his head, shyly, “Aaw, it was nothing!”
“Once we've got the fire started,” Yolei said. “I'm gonna unbelievably take a little nap.”
“No!” Ken snapped, suddenly. He flushed when he saw everyone's expressions, “I mean … you can't go to sleep here. You'll get utilized by this darkness … it makes you really drowsy.”
Davis knew he was right. Like the time they had settled down in the forest, they felt completely hopeless. No wonder the Digimon couldn't digivolve.
“Oh …” Yolei blinked. “How do you know?”
“Sure I've been unconscious, but I've heard what Rita and Cyrius have been discussing …” Ken explained. His eyes flashed a warning, “I'm telling you. Do not fall asleep.”
Davis sighed in frustration and stood up, “What the heck are we supposed to do then?!”
“Davis … calm down, we'll find a way out of this,” Kari said, soothingly.
“No Kari!” Davis reacted, his anger pulsing up. “We won't! Just how long has it been since we've landed in this place, anyways? Months? Our Digimon can't even digivolve and what use is that?! We're totally useless!”
TK shook his head. Here he goes again …
“Listen here, Davis!” TK said, getting up. “How many times have I told you that we'd make it through this! You just need to be patient!”
Davis turned around, furious, “How patient can I get?! It's easy for you, as you're the `Digidestined of Hope' who knows everything's gonna be OK and that all is gonna be well! Well, you know what? You might be too blind to see but we're stuck in a real sticky situation!”
This made TK twitch. He retaliated, but this time with a more softer tone, “Gee Davis, you just made me lose my patience …”
“You're finally seeing the light, TK!” Davis yelled.
Kari's eyes flickered between the two, who both looked enraged. They were staring at each other as if they'd pound each other any minute. She had a feeling this conversation was taking a wrong turn, and might reach a dead end.
“Stop it, you two!” Ken shouted. “The pair of you are acting like five-year-olds!”
Davis glared at TK, “Someone here does not know when to give in!”
“Yeah, well at least it's better than giving up!” TK retorted.
“This is bad …” Yolei muttered, getting to her feet.
“If you guys can't cooperate with me, what's the point of me being the team leader?!” Davis shouted out at the rest of them. His eyes rested on Kari's for a second longer before he looked back at TK.
“It's cause' when the leader's acting like a baby, there's no point in cooperating!” TK said.
“What's happening?” Veemon mumbled, sitting up. It looked like he had just woken up from the noise of the heated discussion. “Davis? TK?”
“What do you mean by that, TG?” Davis asked with a scowl on his face.
TK blew it, “That's it! When you took Kari away hostage when you were that `thing' then who had to come along to try and save you? We did! And how about the time when you lost control? Who snapped you out of it? Us!”
“I've always appreciated you! All of you!” Davis yelled, his forehead prickling. “It's you guys who never even tried to see what good I had in the team!”
“Guys! Quit fighting!” Patamon cried, flying in front of TK. “We can't start a fight! How are we going to get ourselves out of this mess if we do?”
TK's expression softened for a moment as he looked at his partner. Then he took a deep breath.
“OK, you know what,” Davis spat. “I see I'm no use here anymore, so how about this? You guys go your way, and I go my way? That alright with you?”
He turned around to go when Kari spoke up, “Please Davis! Don't!”
Davis's look changed from furious to regret. He closed his eyes as he thought of her tear-strained face. Kari … But he managed to wave off the feeling and walked on. “Come on Veemon. Let's go.”
The little Digimon looked at the teenager's retreating back. “Yeah, but Davis -”
“I said, let's go!”
Veemon scurried to his feet and ran after Davis, before giving one look of distress to the Digidestined behind them.
“Davis! Stop!” Kari shouted, tears running down her cheeks. “Please!!”
TK held out a hand to stop her, “No Kari …”
“TK, stop him! He doesn't know what he's thinking!”
“He knows perfectly well what he's thinking,” TK said, opening his eyes to show rage for the withdrawing figure ahead of them.
Kari sank to her knees, sobbing. This all happened so quickly, she was confused. What had gone into those two?
Back ahead, Davis was thinking the same thing. He had reacted so instantly that it was confusing. But he knew he had made the right decision. A small voice at the back of his head told him not to leave his friends, but he snorted at the word `friends'. He couldn't get Kari's mournful face out of his mind and it was seriously killing him. Why did he suddenly feel this way again? Why couldn't he just forget her, push her towards TK?
“Davis? What are you doing?” Veemon asked, looking up. “Those are your friends you're leaving back there!”
“Friends?” Davis stopped for a moment before stepping forward. “I used to think the same thing, Veemon!”
“What …?” Veemon couldn't fathom what had gone into Davis. He wouldn't do this to his friends, would he?
 
.Older Digidestined.
“Ouch, my head …” Matt grunted, rubbing his aching head.
He was lying on what seemed to be patchy earth, and near him lay Gabumon who seemed to be comatose. Feeling dreary, he also felt a sharp pain in his side.
“Oh man …” he reached out to push away whatever it was but felt something soft. Puzzled, Matt turned to see Sora who seemed to be lying on him. He flushed the darkest colors of red when he saw that he was feeling her collar … which was right near -
“Matt …” Sora said, eyes still closed. “I may seem to be asleep, but I can feel what you're doing. And if you can be so kind to stop doing what it is you're doing?”
“Oh!” Matt gasped and withdrew his hand as if he was burned by her. “Y-yeah, sure!”
Sora got off of him and Matt managed to stand up, still blushing. He stopped though when he realized the place they were in.
“So you're finally awake?” Izzy asked, typing away on his laptop. “Great, I was getting tired waiting for you guys.”
“Izzy,” Matt said. “Why is it that even in the most terrible of situations, you're always on that thing?”
Sora nodded, “Yeah. And why didn't you wake us up?!”
“Well, it was actually kind of humorous watching you guys … the position you were in. I knew something funny was going to happen, and it sure did, right Matt?”
Sora blushed and Matt turned as red as a tomato. “Izzy … you be careful.”
Izzy chuckled, but immediately turned serious as he turned back to his laptop, “Before you two ask why Tai, Mimi and Joe aren't here. Let me explain. It seems the vortex has split us up separately into different parts of the Other Reign … I've just received a message from Joe that he, Tai and Mimi are fine and that we should continue.”
“Right …” Matt said, nodding. “Cause' I wanna tell Tai his stupid plan didn't work! It's a bad thing we're separated!”
“Yeah, but it's also good. We can explore further into this mystery separately. And we won't exactly be alone …” Izzy told him.
“OK …” Sora murmured. She frowned and asked, “So when do we set off?”
Izzy stood up, shutting his laptop, this action easily indicating they were to set off as soon as possible. “Now, from now we start.”
Matt nodded, “Yeah … isn't the world a small place?”
“Tell me about it,” Izzy said. “We find ourselves separated just like when we were eleven. Funny, right?”
“Uh-huh,” Sora sighed. “Let's just go already. This weather is really making me feel discouraged.”
“Gotcha,” Matt nodded his head towards the south direction. “Let's got his way …”
“Whatever you say, Matt.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note: I didn't know from where I got the idea of TK and Davis's argument, but I just did. Anyways, hope you enjoyed it and please review!
Cheerio!! ^^