Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Tamers: The Next Level ❯ Episode 16: A New Enemy Appears ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: Well, it certainly has been a long time! I know, I totally suck when it comes to updating. In fact, there's a distinct possibility that nobody will care about this fic anymore, though I sincerely hope that's not the case. At any rate, here's the long-awaited (maybe) next chapter!

******

"You can't be serious," the reply came through the communicator from Dolphin. "There was definitely nothing in the programming about mating."

"There's a chance Shibumi introduced that coding," Janyuu theorized, "But as far as I know, he only included basic evolution."

"But, if that's the case," Janyuu added, "then how can it be explained?"

"I don't really know," Dolphin admitted.

"I've been thinking a lot about all of this," Henry put in. "Like, when our partners first arrived, they certainly seemed to be male or female. At first I thought it was just my human perception, or possibly them imitating us."

"But now we've got Greymon mating," Dolphin summarized. "As well as whatever you're talking about with Rika and Renamon."

"Yeah, what is that anyway?" Janyuu asked. "If it ties in, it might be important."

Henry had to think about that for a second. On one hand, he didn't want to tell everybody, as Rika had kept it secret from even her best friends. But, on the other hand, it wasn't like he was gossiping. If it might help unlock the secrets of Digimon, though, he was willing to risk it.

"Well, keep in mind that we didn't find out about this for quite some time. Rika didn't tell us herself until just recently."

"It won't leave this room," Janyuu reassured him.

Henry took a deep breath. "Well, to put it as delicately as I can… Rika and Renamon are, well, lovers…"

Nothing but silence followed Henry's stunning announcement about the couple. Henry began to regret his decision to reveal everything, but he hoped nothing bad would come of it.

"I guess," Dolphin said finally, "that answers the question of anatomy…"

"As I can see it," Henry began, "Digimon are evolving more than any of us could have predicted. Digimon evolution isn't limited to bigger and stronger forms…"

"They're evolving beyond any sort of program imaginable," Janyuu realized. "They're evolving into biological beings…"

******

A lone figure was visible in the distance, but no more details could be made out by the humans. To a Digimon, however, the distance wasn't so great a problem, and Renamon could make out clearly just what it was.

"It's a Black War Greymon," she reported. "And from here it looks like he's waiting for something or someone."

"Let's try to get closer," Takato suggested.

Keeping as low as they could, the Tamers moved up until there was only a single ridge between them and the waiting Mega. If Black War Greymon was aware of their presence or approach, he didn't show it. Eventually, they were close enough that even the humans could clearly make it out.

"What do you suppose he's waiting for?" Kenta asked.

"Data Stream?" Marine Angemon piped up, pointing into the distance.

"Huh?" All eyes turned towards where the miniscule Mega was pointing. Sure enough, a purple beam was streaking along the surface of the Digital World, kicking up a small cloud of dirt. It was heading straight for Black War Greymon, but he made no move to get out of its way.

"Damn," Takato said. "You don't suppose he's leaving?"

Takato's worry was for nothing as, instead of picking Black War Greymon up, the Data Stream deposited something near the dark Mega before continuing on its way. It didn't take the eyesight of a Digimon to see that it was a man in a dark business suit. He brushed unseen dust off of his suit before turning to face Black War Greymon. When the Mega began to speak, Suzie turned to Lopmon.

"Can you hear what they're saying?" she asked.

"I'll try," Lopmon said, glad to be able to play a part. She perked up her ears, using them as a sort of directional microphone and reported the conversation.

******

"You'll just have to deal with my being late," the man replied scornfully. Black War Greymon scowled threateningly, but the man wasn't fazed. "I had… other matters to deal with in the Real World."

"So, what news do you have from our master?"

"The Tamers could be a bigger problem than we thought. Apparently, they have reunited with yet another of their comrades."

"Feh. So, they managed to get through to that Akiyama brat, did they? No matter, he shall be destroyed like all the rest."

"It will just require slight adjustments to our plan. However, we should be on the watch for more unforeseen circumstances."

"I believe we have some of those right now," Black War Greymon answered, eyes shifting to one side. "It would appear we have some guests."

******

"Shit," Rika cursed softly.

"He… can't mean us, can he?" Kenta asked hopefully. "Right?"

As if in response, Black War Greymon turned and looked up until he was facing the Tamers' exact hiding spot. He brought his hands to one side of his body, holding them a distance apart. "Gaia Destroyer!" Dark energy swirled in to form a large fireball between his outstretched arms and, in a pushing motion, he sent it towards the Tamers.

"Shit," Rika repeated, standing up and pulling a card from the holder on her hip. "You ready, Renamon?"

"As always."

"What are you going to do?" Suzie asked.

Rika brought the card up to her face, holding it between her fingers and closed her eyes. After a deep breath, she opened her eyes and the card was a bright blue. "This. Digimodify!" she called, sliding the card through the slot on her digivice. "Matrix Digivolution Activate!"

"Renamon, Matrix Digivolve to…"

A brilliant egg of light sprang into being around Renamon's body and, inside it, she began to change. Her outer layer of data was stripped away and her core changed shape, recreating her as Kyubimon. Kyubimon leapt into the air, her current form unable to handle the power that filled her from the blue card. The egg tightened around her new body, and she burst forth as the holy priestess, "Taomon!"

She lifted her arm, her sleeve sliding down to reveal the symbol that she pulled out of the air. "Talisman Spell!" A shimmering shield formed around the Tamers and just in time to meet Black War Greymon's attack.

"C'mon, you can do it, Taomon," Rika said, gritting her teeth.

"Too… much… energy," Taomon grunted, the effort of maintaining the shield driving her to one knee.

"Crap," Kenta said. "Uhh… Oh! Marine Angemon, help her out!"

"Right!" Marine Angemon nodded. "Kahuna Waves!" He blew a large blue heart from his mouth, meeting and reinforcing Taomon's shield.

With one last effort, Taomon rapidly expanded the shield, vaporizing both it and the Gaia Destroyer. Breathing heavily, Taomon fell to her knees, her body slumped. Rika knelt next to her, placing an arm around the priestess's shoulder. Taomon smiled and nodded. "That… took a lot… of energy," she got out. "I'll… be all right… soon."

"Glad to hear that," Takato said, stepping up to the top of the ridge, Guilmon following quickly after. "Suzie, Kenta, you two stay here. I'll take care of Black War Greymon."

"No can do," Kenta replied with a smirk. "I didn't come all this way just to sit in the nosebleed section."

"I'm going too," Suzie agreed. "I'm a part of this team as well."

Takato grumbled deep in his throat, the sound coming out almost like a growl. He looked to Rika for help, but she nodded. Takato sighed in resignation. "All right, you two can come. But! You're only there for backup, got it?"

Kenta and Suzie both nodded, and Takato sighed again. He moved forward, sliding down the side of the ridge, Kenta and Suzie following quickly behind.

******

"Heh," Black War Greymon laughed as Takato faced him. Suzie and Kenta stood a short distance away, Marine Angemon hovering nearby, a rare serious look on his face. Lopmon glared warily, but nobody moved. "Your defenses are good at least. No less than what I would expect from the heroic Tamers!"

"That was a cheap shot," Takato accused, "and you know it. Heh. I don't suppose it matters, since you won't get another chance."

"I don't need cheap shots to dispose of the likes of you," Black War Greymon sneered, drawing back his claws. "Feh, you won't even be a warm-up for my real opponents."

"Oh? And who might they be?"

"It's not worth the time explaining, as soon it won't matter to you. Now, come, show me your true strength!"

"As you wish," Takato smirked, pulling out his digivice. "Biomerge Activate!"

As he brought the digivice over his heart, he felt his being flow into Guilmon's, their two spirits merging. A new form emerged, a vessel shared by their strengths, that of the armored Holy Knight, "Gallantmon!"

"You wished for my true power? Well here it is!" Gallantmon brought his lance and shield up, readying them to attack.

"How disappointing," Black War Greymon sighed. With that, he launched himself into a charge, one clawed gauntlet drawn back to strike.

Gallantmon met his charge with one of his own, bringing his lance up to bear. He thrust it forward, aiming for Black War Greymon's chest, but the dark Mega was ready. He knocked the lance to one side with a sweep of his arm, his other claw driving for Gallantmon's chest. The Holy Knight quickly brought his shield up for defense, Black War Greymon's claws scraping noisily but ineffectively across the surface. Gallantmon's lance flicked back into position, the tip streaking for Black War Greymon's face.

With a grunt, Black War Greymon threw his upper body back, the lance whistling a short distance from his head. Gallantmon's attack didn't end, and he brought his weapon quickly down in a slashing motion across Black War Greymon body. He jumped backwards, landing in a crouch on the ground. He looked down at his armor, tracing a shallow groove across his chest caused by the lance.

"Ha! Not bad! Not bad at all!" Black War Greymon laughed. "You might be a decent warm-up after all!"

"Do you wish to talk," Gallantmon replied derisively, "or do you wish to fight?"

"If you are in such a rush to die," Black War Greymon replied with a slight laugh, "then who am I to stand in your way…"

Slowly, he and Gallantmon began to circle each other, warily watching for any sign of an opening. The man in the suit watched impatiently a short distance away, arms crossed in front of his body. Suzie and Kenta watched the battle as well, Kenta shaking his head slowly. "Kinda makes me want to rethink fighting…"

Gallantmon's lance suddenly dipped, and Black War Greymon took it as a cue to attack, rushing in with extended claws. He was met with an attack as Gallantmon quickly brought his lance up in a quick slash. Black War Greymon sidestepped, and the attack managed only to carve a shallow rut in the ground behind the dark Mega.

Black War Greymon grinned as he attacked, Gallantmon's upraised arm exposing his unprotected side, at which the dark Mega struck. Grunting, Gallantmon twisted his body out of the way quickly enough that it was only a near hit, but he still winced as the claws raked across his side. He quickly moved his head to one side as well, as Black War Greymon's other claw punched for his face. He dodged another punch and fell back, trying to bring his shield up for defense. Ducking under a slice, Gallantmon pushed his shield up, trying to push Black War Greymon away rather than strike. The maneuver worked as Black War Greymon skidded backwards across the ground, quickly pulling himself back into a fighting stance.

******

Back on the ridge, Rika watched the battle as best she could, although most of their movements bordered on too fast for her eyes to follow. "Man, there's some crazy stuff going on down there. I don't think I've ever seen such an intense fight."

"No," Taomon agreed, looking up from where she was sitting cross-legged on the ground. "The amount of sheer power both of them are putting out is staggering. Their skills right now are about evenly matched, but neither of them is giving it everything they have."

"You mean… the real fight hasn't even begun yet?"

"I'm afraid not. As it stands right now, Black War Greymon seems to have a larger reserve of energy than Gallantmon."

"Now you tell me that we might not win?" Rika said in exasperation.

"I did not say that," Taomon corrected. "Black War Greymon might have the overall advantage right now, but… I've been sensing something odd inside Gallantmon for some time."

"Something odd?" Rika asked, one eyebrow raised. "What do you mean?"

"Inside Gallantmon I can sense the presence of both Takato's and Guilmon's spirits, but, in addition, I can feel a third, but it appears to be sealed away."

"A slumbering strength inside Gallantmon, eh?" Rika said. "I wonder what that could be…"

******

Inside Gallantmon, Takato breathed quickly, trying not to favor his injured side. "This is crazy," he told Guilmon. "Black War Greymon is one seriously tough opponent. I don't even know if we can win this one, buddy."

"I know," Guilmon answered. "He's stronger than anyone we've ever fought."

"But," Takato grinned, "I honestly can't remember when I've been more excited!"