Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Tamers: The Next Level ❯ Episode 5: Reunion, For Better or Worse ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"So," Susie asked when Rika emerged from Henry's room, "is Henry your boyfriend?"

"Sorry kiddo," Rika told her. "Haven't had a boyfriend in a while, and I don't plan on having another one."

"Ahhhh," Susie nodded.

Rika sighed. "Kid's 14, and she's already jaded."

"It is the new millennium," Susie shrugged.

"Do me a favor? Try not to grow up too fast," Rika said, walking out the door. She had been forced to grow up to deal with the events of seven years ago, and it had been rather unpleasant.

******

Rika arrived home several hours later, Renamon standing up as she entered the room. They kissed hello before reporting the days events.

"Henry's busy at work making more D-Bands," Rika told her lover. "He should have another one ready for Takato. Any luck on finding the old partners?"

"It's a big Digital World," Renamon replied, "but we did manage to find Guardromon. He returned to that village of Gekomon, and has been protecting them. They send shipments of supplies to the city every now and then."

"All the saké he could drink," Rika laughed.

"Among other things," Renamon chuckled. "But, can you really blame him?"

"The only human around, no family, just me, my Partner, and the rest of the Digital World. Doesn't sound that bad to me."

"Yes, but in this case it's just Takato and Guilmon."

"Point taken. Any luck on Marine Angemon, Cyberdramon, or Beelzemon?"

"A rumor here, a bit of gossip there, and a little heresy to spice things up. Nothing solid. I'm assuming you had better luck with the Tamers?"

"We've all mostly lost track of each other since the split, but nobody really went too far. The only trick will be getting everybody together."

Their conversation was interrupted by the sound of the phone ringing. Rika sighed, and picked up the receiver.

"Hello? Ahh, Henry. Right, be right over there," Rika said, replacing the set. "It's time."

"Time?"

"Henry's finished with the second D-Band. After three years, Takato's finally coming home," Rika smiled. Though she wouldn't readily admit it, she missed the little goggle-head. She owed him quite a bit. Had she never met him, she would have likely never realized the truth about Renamon.

******

Rika held tightly in her arms, Renamon fairly flew across the power lines through the city, high above the vision of anybody on the ground. They were headed toward the all-too-familiar park, and its easily recognizable shed. Takato had selected it as the place in the Real World he knew best. By the time the two had arrived, Henry was already there, and he greeted them warmly.

"Good to see both of you," he said, grinning widely. "I know it's a little late, but welcome back to the Real World, Renamon."

Renamon wrapped Henry in a friendly embrace, kissing him politely on the cheek. "Thank you so much for reuniting me with Rika."

"It was nothing, really," Henry blushed. "You know, I always suspected there was something more between the two of you."

"Man," Rika said. "It seems like everyone know about it but me."

"It's funny," Henry said, brow wrinkled in thought. "I never really thought about whether humans and Digimon were 'compatible'. Although I, uhh, suppose it wasn't as much of an issue under the circumstances."

Renamon cleared her throat, and Henry blushed deeper. Rika chuckled under her breath as the air was suddenly filled with a fog-like mist. "Is this a Digital Field?"

"Sure is," Renamon confirmed. "He's bioemerging."

"He?"

"Me."

The digital field faded, and in its place stood none other than Takato, the biggest smile Rika had ever seen plastered on his face.

"Welcome home!" Henry grinned. He and Takato clasped hands, exchanging one-armed hugs. Rika scoffed at the typical macho act of greeting an old friend.

"Ohh, man," Takato said, "You have NO idea how good it feels to be back!" He threw his head back, taking in a deep breath through his nose. "That smell… I miss that smell!"

Rika and Renamon sniffed tentatively before wrinkling their noses. "Dog manure and pesticides," Renamon reported.

"None of which exist in the Digital World. That place is so clean, it's got no flavor to it. I'll tell you one more thing that doesn't exist in the Digital World," Takato said, looking Rika up and down.

"Watch it there, goggle-head," Rika said, embracing her good friend. "I'm spoken for."

Takato glanced over to Renamon, an amused grin splitting the fox's wide face. He held Rika at arm's length. "Hey, I just went three years without seeing another human being, let alone a young woman as good looking as you."

"You're not looking too bad yourself," Rika said with a raised eyebrow. "You're not my type though."

"I never really pegged Renamon as your type," Takato told her. "I do see what you see in her though."

"There's that question again," Henry said. "Are humans and Digimon 'compatible'?"

Takato opened his mouth to speak, earning strange looks from Rika and Renamon, but he closed it again. He coughed into his fist and tried again. "I never really thought about that."

"That's not what some of Terriermon's letters said," Henry laughed. "I, of course, didn't believe him."

"Of course. Anyway, we could stand here joking around forever, but there are a few more people I'd like to say hello to," Takato said, placing a hand on his stomach. "First though, I could really use some food."

"Well," Rika suggested, "that one sushi place is still open."

Takato threw his hands up. "Anything but sushi! I've had enough sushi to last a lifetime. Is there any place with some good steak nearby? I've got a craving for some fresh red meat."

Rika nodded, and, arm in arm, the three old friends walked towards a nearby restaurant, talking and laughing. Renamon, as always, watched from high above, glad to see spirits so high. She too had missed Takato.

******

"'You're probably wondering why I called you all here today,'" Kazu, still wearing his old visor, now looking a little beat up, mocked. He stretched his neck, muscles sore from baseball practice. "Haven't seen hide nor hair of Rika in years, and then out of the blue she gathers the old group together."

"Yeah," Kenta agreed, his old glasses replaced by contact lenses. "I mean, it's nice to see everybody looking well and all, but this is bringing back some memories I don't particularly want."

"As long as it doesn't take too long," Jeri said with one leg draped over the arm of the chair she was sitting in. She glanced at her watch. "I'm supposed to meet my boyfriend in the park in an hour."

"Still slumming around with that football player?" Kazu asked with a smirk. "I thought you would have dumped him for someone better by now."

"At least I've got somebody to dump," Jeri shot back. "When was the last time you had a steady girlfriend?"

"Well, I just haven't found Ms. Right yet," Kazu protested.

"Ms. Right? From what I've heard, you haven't even found Ms. Ball Park yet," Kenta added with a laugh. Kazu shot him a dirty look, but Kenta ignored him.

"Maybe he's like Rika," Susie offered as she walked into the room, her brother by her side. "You know…"

"I heard that about her," Kenta said, "Don't know if it's true though."

"That's because, quite frankly," Rika replied, entering the room, "it's none of your business."

"Hell, hell, the gang's all here," Kazu joked.

"About time," Kenta said. "I've got to study for that test tomorrow." Even though school was on break, Kenta was never far from books.

"Actually," Jeri disagreed, "Looks like the only person missing now is Ryo."

"He won't make it," Rika told everyone. "He's off backpacking somewhere. You know him, he hates to settle down."

"So, why are you gathering the old team together again?" Kenta asked. "What's left of it at least."

"Well," Henry said, "There's one more member of the team that's not here."

"Don't even remind me," Jeri grumbled, getting up from her chair. "I don't need this, and I don't know why you bothered gathering us all together."

"Actually, you're all here because I asked for it."

Jeri froze at the familiar voice, and the boys' jaws dropped simultaneously.

"There is no way," Kenta said, rubbing his eyes to make sure he wasn't seeing things.

"I must be dreaming," Kazu added. "Or hallucinating."

Standing in the doorway to the room was none other than Takato. Jeri slowly turned to face him, and he began to shakily grin. She slowly walked over to Takato, eyes wide in shock. "Takato… I can't believe it, after all this time you're back…"

"Hi Jeri," Takato said, smiling nervously. "Been a while, hasn't it?"

A gasp rose from everyone present as Jeri brought her hand across Takato's face. The young man recoiled from the force, the physical pain not nearly as bad as the emotional. Jeri rubbed her hand, stinging from the full hand slap she had just performed on Takato.