Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Tamers: The Next Level ❯ Episode 10: Departures and Resurrections ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"We can't just find a portal like we did last time," Takato said. The last time they had needed to get to the digital world, Guilmon had been lucky enough to find a portal underneath the shed that served as his house. However, it and all other portals had long since been closed.

"We've still got the D-Bands that the digimon used to get here, right?" Rika suggested hopefully. "Can't we just use them?"

"That works for us humans," Henry answered, "but that still leaves the Digimon. I don't suppose any of you have your digivices?"

"Mine's still stored in the attic at my house," Kazu answered, "but I can't exactly show up there, not with Hypnos watching our houses."

"We'll just have to give them something else to watch, eh?" Guardromon offered. Lifting his arms, he opened the twin grenade ports on his wrists. "I was thinking of a nice fireworks show."

"Yeah!" Kazu cheered. "You provide a distraction and draw away the goons while I get what I need from home! Perfect! Unless there are any objections?" He looked around and got from everyone the same reaction he got from Henry.

"I got nothing better," Henry shrugged. "Just make sure they don't catch you. This may sound cruel, but we can't afford to perform a rescue." Kazu nodded and climbed onto Guardromon's back, the robot's powerful jets carrying them away from the school.

Kenta rolled his eyes almost back into his head trying to look up at Marine Angemon, still peacefully snoozing on his head. "Well," he said, "I left my digivice at… somebody else's house." Muttering to himself, he added, "She's probably worried about what's happened to me anyway." Reaching up, he gently picked Marine Angemon's sleeping form out of his hair and set him down softly. The miniscule Mega stirred briefly, but continued to lightly snore. Smiling, Kenta called over his shoulder, "Don't leave without me!" He hopped onto a ladder leading off the roof and slid down it.

"Well," Henry said, turning to Yamaki, "What are you planning to do?"

"I'm sure Riley and I can find somewhere to go, away from prying Hypnos eyes, until this is taken care of." With one of his rare smiles, he added, "From everything I know about all of you, I gather it shouldn't take too long."

Henry returned the smile. "Thanks for the vote of confidence. Unfortunately, all we can do right now is wait."

******

"I can't believe this!" Henry's mother lamented to her husband. They were in their living room, or what had looked like the living room before Hypnos had searched the place. "I thought this whole Digimon business was over with four years ago, and now, it's taken away our children again."

Janyuu shook his head. "I know, I thought it was over too. Apparently, someone disagreed."

"What are we going to do? I hate to think something really awful has happened," she said, holding tighter to her husband's arm. She felt totally impotent.

"I think it's time I called on an old friend," Janyuu answered, standing up. "If anybody can provide answers, it'll have to be him."

"Don't worry," he added. "Henry can take care of himself, and he won't let anything happen to Suzie."

She nodded to herself. "You're right, of course. I guess I just have to have faith in the strength of our family."

Turning from the doorway, Janyuu responded, "Just like before, everything will turn out alright." So he hoped.

******

"What do you mean I can't get in to see him?" Janyuu asked, shocked at the response he had gotten. A black-suited men was standing in front of the entrance to the Hypnos building, blocking entry.

"I'm afraid, sir, that it is quite impossible for you to see Mr. Yamaki," the guard told Janyuu.

"Just tell him Janyuu's here to see him. I know he'll want to see me."

"Allow me to make myself more clear. You cannot see Mr. Yamaki because he is no longer with this organization."

"What?" Janyuu exclaimed in surprise. "Why?"

"I am not at liberty to disclose such information."

"I see," Janyuu said flatly. "Well, thank you for your time." The guard only nodded slightly.

Janyuu turned away, mulling over this new piece of the puzzle in his head. Digimon had returned to the Real World, Yamaki was no longer working for Hypnos, and his children, presumably the other Tamers as well, were missing. It all added up to a picture he didn't want to face alone. That meant he had to round up a few more allies.

Janyuu pulled out his phone and dialed the very familiar phone number. He waited impatiently while the other end rang several times before a groggy voice answered, "Hello?"

"It's me, Tao."

"Tao? Do you have any idea what time it is over here?"

Janyuu answered simply, "It's about Digimon."

"You've got my undivided attention." The weariness in the voice all but disappeared entirely.

"The Digimon are back in the Real World. Babel, it's time to resurrect the Monster Makers."

******

When Kazu and Kenta returned to the roof of the school, they both had their digivices in hand. Takato had opened the package that Shibumi had given him, and was seated on the ground. Cards were fanned out in front of him in large sweeps, and he was looking over them.

"Whatcha got there, Takato?" Kenta asked, kneeling next to Takato. The boy looked up at his friend and smirked.

"Nice duds."

Kenta self-consciously looked down over the outfit he had changed into. Instead of a standard t-shirt, he had on a white, button-front shirt with a rather large collar. His pants were black and a little on the snug side. This was all topped off with a large black trench coat reaching almost to the ground. Kenta could only shrug.

"Nice lipstick," Kazu added. Embarrassedly, Kenta rubbed the traces from the collar of his shirt.

"Well, she was, uhh, relieved to see me," he said, cheeks starting to turn bright red. "Ahem. If we could get back to the original question?"

Takato turned back to the cards, but the smile didn't fade. "These are cards that Shibumi has given me." Gesturing to a large fan, "These are the Realizer cards that'll make it much easier to get to the Digital World." He picked up a small fan of cards, and tapped then with a finger. "These are my personal favorites. Guilmon, Growlmon, War Growlmon, and Gallantmon. As well as Gallantmon merged with Grani."

"Does this mean I'm famous?" Guilmon asked excitedly. "Although the likeness could use a little work..."

"You don't say," Terriermon replied, stepping up. "Personally, I think these look much better." He picked up a similar set of cards featuring his own digivolutions.

"There's one like that for each of us," Takato explained. "I just can't seem to figure out why Shibumi would go through the trouble of making these, let alone giving them to us like this."

"With Shibumi," Rika put in, "you can never tell. Who knows? They may actually be of some use." With a shrug, she placed the cards into her hip pack with the rest of her deck. The others did the same thing with theirs.

"Looks like we got everything that we need now," Takato said, passing out Realizer cards and handing an extra D-Band to Jeri. His eyes lingered on her, but hers never met his and he looked away sadly.

"Time to wake up, sleepyhead," Kenta said, gently shaking Marine Angemon's snoozing form. The miniscule Mega yawned so large it looked like he could almost swallow himself and floated up lazily.

"Kenta?" he said curiously, floating in a gentle circle around his partner. He looked up and down, appraising his Tamer's new style. "Black," he stated, settling on Kenta's black-clad shoulder. "Nice."

"See?" Kenta said triumphantly, "Someone likes my style."

"Just remember, this is coming from the guy dressed in pink," Kazu edged in.

"Oh be quiet," Kenta edged back. "You're just jealous because you have no style."

"No style," Marine Angemon piped in happily, a wide grin splitting his face.

"We might want to wrap this up," Guardromon reported. "There seems to be a pair of black trucks headed in this direction."

Everybody rushed over to the ledge around the edge of the rook and looked in the direction Guardromon was pointing. Sure enough, barely visible were two large black trucks, definitely Hypnos.

"It's time we get going while the going's good," Rika said, strapping on her blue D-band. With nods, the other Tamers did the same with theirs. Jeri put the one Takato had given to her on reluctantly.

"In that case," Yamaki said, "this is where we part ways."

"You sure you're going to be all right?" Takato asked, turning to face the former Hypnos agent.

Yamaki nodded. "Riley and I will be fine. You just be sure to wrap this thing up quickly," he smirked, reaching out his hand. Takato grasped it in a firm handshake.

"Will do," he said. Turning to his friends, he added, "Let's go, everyone!"

Shouts of agreement rose from the Tamers gathered on the rooftop as they prepared cards and digivices.

"Digimodify!" they cried as one, sliding the Realizer cards through the slots. "Realization Activate! Digital World!" With a rush of energy resembling a data stream, the Digimon left for the Digital World.

"Guess it's our turn now," Suzie gulped, watching the last of the stream fade along with Lopmon. "You sure these things work?"

"I'm the one who designed them," Henry said, laying a reassuring hand on his sister's shoulder. "Guaranteed, 100%."

"Will it be able to handle Kenta's outfit?" Kazu quipped.

"Lay off the threads," Kenta replied.

"Could we?" Rika said impatiently, hands on hips.

Takato looked around the roof and at the rapidly approaching trucks. "It feels like I just got here," he thought to himself. "And now I have to leave. Mom, Dad, I promise you, I will return." Out loud, he said, "Right. We don't have time to waste."

Holding her fist, and the D-band around her wrist up by her face, Rika held her Realizer card at the beginning of the slot. All around her the others did the same.

As one, the Tamers pulled their cards through with shouts of "Card Modify! Realize, Digital World!"

Rika caught her last brief glimpse of the Real World before the card's effect took place. Time seemed to slow down, and Rika could almost see her hands turn to data in front of her. Everything faded to black and she felt a rush of motion. After an instant that seemed like an eternity, she felt Renamon's arm around her chest, helping her to her feet.

"Nope," Takato was saying, shaking his head to clear it, "doesn't get any easier the more you do it." He grinned weakly, gesturing to the large stone building behind him. "Welcome, friends, to Chéz Takato."