Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digiquest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero ❯ Spielburg Nights ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Digiquest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero

Chapter 10

By Time Lady

-----------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon or Quest for Glory

-----------------------

"Daisuke, you're going the wrong way!" shouted Yamato in frustration.

"I'm going south, aren't I?" he asked as he stopped and waited for the others to catch up..

"We better ask Bakumon if he has any compasses," muttered Ken.

"Lillymon is supposed to be south of the Yuramon," returned Takeru. "Let's head that way, then turn south."

The party of adventurers followed Takeru's lead. To Daisuke's disappointment, he steered them past the Goblimon training grounds. When they neared the place where they found the Yuramon, Takeru cast detect magic. "There's something that way," he said, pointing southwest. The way directly southwest was blocked by dense forest, so they continued along the clear path southward. Along the way they passed a ring of mushrooms. "Magic mushrooms," said Takeru after another detect magic. "But there's stronger magic ahead."

Farther south a wild Goatmon grazed on tender new blades of grass. "I've never seen a white Goatmon," said Daisuke in an awed voice. "It's beautiful."

"They say that white creatures like that are guardians of the forest," murmured Yamato, so as not to frighten it. The white Goatmon looked up and stared right at the party, as if it could see right into their souls. It then moved on to graze further away.

"Should we follow it?" asked Ken. Takeru nodded as the Goatmon looked up at them again. It then turned and trotted west. The adventurers kept a discreet distance as they followed the Goatmon. It led them to the far corner of the forest. This area was dominated by a giant pink flower bud surrounded by emerald green vines. The Goatmon leaped over a giant vine and continued grazing. As Takeru began to approach the Goatmon, the flower opened up. Out of the center stepped what might have been taken for a woman, if her body didn't seem so pixy-like. Her clothing appeared to be flower petals growing from her body. Four leaf-like wings fluttered on her back.

"I am Lillymon, keeper of the woods," she said, studying the group of humans. "Are you at one with the woods?"

"Huh?" Daisuke looked at Lillymon in surprise.

"Yes," said Yamato.

"Then you shall aid me, and I shall aid you in your quest. Bring me a seed from the spore spitting Spirea that grows north of here. I wish to preserve these rare, magical plants by planting the seed elsewhere. Thus you will become true friends of the forest." Suddenly, she turned and looked at Takeru. "I sense that you already have such a seed."

"Errr, yeah." Takeru scratched the back of his head uncomfortably. "When I was on my way to Wizarmon's place the other day I came across these weird plants that seemed to be spitting a seed back and forth. It kind of seemed like good practice for my fetch spell," he explained.

"Will you give me this seed?" asked Lillymon. Nodding, Takeru took the seed from his pack and gave it to the flower fairy. "Thank you. Now this seed will boldly grow where none has grown before!" She looked at the group. "Now heed my words and heed them well. There is an evil in this valley that perverts the ways of nature. Prophecy says a group of adventurers will bring a young human from this darkness. If you are the ones to accomplish this task then you will need a potion to break enchantments the healer can make for you. These are the ingredients you will need: flowers from Hikari's Peace, green hair, diamond dust, a magic petal and flying water." Lillymon stepped back onto the center of her flower.

"Where do we find these things?" asked Daisuke.

"That is part of what you must do as heroes. Farewell friends. I must return to my concentration. May the forest forever surround you," said Lillymon, smiling.

"WAIT!" called Daisuke. He was too late. The giant flower closed around her. The only thing remaining was a large, delicate flower petal. "Darn it, I wanted to ask her things."

"I don't think a keeper of the woods has time for a load of questions," said Ken.

"At least she was nice enough to give us the magic petal," returned Takeru as he carefully put the petal into his pack.

"So what now?" asked Daisuke.

"The flowers are already taken care of," said Yamato. "We need to find the green hair, diamond dust, and flying water."

"Wasn't one of the Yuramon green?" said Daisuke.

"Yeah. And hairy," added Ken.

"Then let's get some green hair and go talk to Aluramon. Maybe she can give us a clue on the last two ingredients," suggested Yamato.

The green Yuramon was very obliging and allowed the heroes to comb out some of its loose hair. It didn't' have any ideas on the flying water, but said that the Yukimibotamon that played in the circle of magic mushrooms at night were known for attacking predators with some sort of dust. They thanked the Yuramon, then continued back to Aluramon's cottage.

"So that's the recipe for a Dispel Potion," said Aluramon after she heard the story. "The Yuramon was probably right about the Yukimibotamon and the diamond dust. I'm not sure about the flying water either. When you bring me the water, I'll be able to tell you if it's the correct ingredient."

"Now we just have to find it," said Ken. They thanked Aluramon and set out.

"You know, I have an idea on the water," said Takeru. "Around the forest, there are only two places that have water. Mirror Lake, and the Flying Falls. The Flying Falls might be it." He led them back southward to the waterfall near Jijimon's cave. He filled a flask full of the crystal clear water.

"You sure that's it?" asked Daisuke.

"We'll find out when we take it to Aluramon."

"Too late now," said Ken. He pointed to the sun setting over the mountains. "We better head back to town before the sheriff bars the gates."

"No way! We need to get the diamond dust from the Yukimibotamon," returned Daisuke.

"The Yuramon did say they only come out at night," added Yamato.

"You guys are going to stay out all night?" asked Ken incredulously.

"The Cheetauromon aren't that bad," said Takeru. "If you can keep away from their claws, they're pretty easily defeated."

Ken stared at the three, his arms crossed over his chest. "Look," said Yamato, "why don't you go back to the town and the inn. You can make sure that Shameen holds our rooms, since we haven't been there in a couple of nights."

"All right," returned Ken. There wasn't even a hint of reluctance in his voice. "I'll see you guys back in town in the morning." He set off at a quick jog back to town.

"I don't even want to know what kind of trouble he's going to get himself into," muttered Takeru.

"I know, but in the long run, he's in more danger outside of town at night," said Yamato. "He might be able to throw a few daggers at something if he's attacked, but I doubt he could take on a Cheetauromon by himself. In town, the most he has to worry about is getting caught sneaking around by the sheriff."

"Well, let's see about those Yukimibotamon," said Daisuke.

"I'll lead," returned Takeru before Daisuke could run off.

---

Ken made it back to town just as the deputy was starting to push the heavy front gate closed. He breathed a sigh of relief, then entered the Hero's Tale Inn. "And so the victorious ones enter," greeted Abdulla from the table. "But where are your comrades?"

"Taking care of some business outside of town," returned Ken.

"Come, sit. You must tell me all of what happened at the Baron's castle."

By the time Ken finished a filling dinner and finished telling Abdulla, Shema, and Shameen about the visit with the Baron, the sun had fully set. Yawning, he excused himself and went to his room. The thief napped for a couple of hours. He made certain those in the inn were asleep, then slipped out of the bedroom window.

The air was cool and crisp. Most of the houses appeared as if everyone had gone to sleep. Cautiously he sneaked around town. No one was about, save Sneak and his cronies in the alley and a few patrons at the Aces and Eights Tavern. Ken looked about and chose a likely looking house.

---

Takeru yawned as Daisuke sliced the claws off the Cheetauromon. They had already taken down a couple of brigands (from whom Daisuke and Yamato scavenged the shields), a Shamamon, and a horde of Goblimon. "How much further is it?" asked Yamato as he took a swig of healing potion.

"I think it's just past those trees," said Takeru.

"Man, this is a messy business," commented Daisuke as he wrapped the claws in leaves.

"Yeah, but you can't beat five silvers a claw," returned Takeru. "Better than one or two coins off a Goblimon."

"True."

Once the claws were safely stowed, they marched on. Ahead they saw a faint glow. The magic mushrooms sparkled in the moonlight. Half a dozen fluffy creatures bounced around the circle happily. "That's them," whispered Takeru.

"Quietly. We don't want to scare them," advised Yamato.

"Yeah? So how are we supposed to get the diamond dust?" asked Daisuke.

"We could always let you rush in and get attacked by them, then collect the dust afterwards," said Takeru.

"Not funny," said Daisuke flatly as he glared at the chuckling Yamato and Takeru.

"Sounds like you might finally be learning," returned Yamato. They watched the Yukimibotamon as they hopped around the circle.

"Yeah. Besides, the potion probably calls for fresh diamond dust," added Takeru.

"Hey, what is this, pick on Daisuke night?" complained Daisuke.

"Sorry," apologized Takeru.

"Maybe we can just talk to them," suggested Yamato.

"Well, they do look playful," admitted Daisuke.

"Let's approach slowly," warned Takeru.

Quietly they moved forward until they were within visual range of the Yukimibotamon. About half a dozen of the fluffy little Digimon hopped about, bouncing over each other, rolling around, and giggling. The heroes took another step forward. When they saw they hadn't been detected yet, they moved even closer. They were about four feet away before the Yukimibotamon noticed them.

"Oooo lookie! Humans!" said one of the Yukimibotamon.

"Ewww, humans," said another.

"These look kind of nice," said a third.

"Maybe they'll play with us!"

"YEAH! PLAY WITH US!" chorused the Yukimibotamon.

Takeru, Daisuke, and Yamato looked at each other and shrugged.

---

"Bingo," thought Ken as he heard the lock click open. Carefully he opened the door, slipped inside, and closed the door behind him. Stairs led up to a second level. From upstairs he heard a loud snore. Ken tiptoed over to the couch. Amazing how much money one could find with a quick search under the cushions. He pocketed the coins, then looked around. "Nice vase," he thought as he slipped it into his backpack. "Now, to see if this person is as predictable as I think."

Ken moved a picture aside and found a wall safe. Frowning, he listened to the tumblers as he tried to determine the correct combination. It took about five times before he got the combination. Inside he found a sack of coins and a few pieces of jewelry, which joined the vase in his pack. Cautiously he closed the safe and returned the picture to its place. No sense in making the burglary obvious. An intricately carved box lay on the coffee table. As Ken picked it up, the lid opened. A soft song began to chime. Ken panicked and closed the box. He heard sounds of movement upstairs. . .

<to be continued>

Author's Note: I'm working towards ending the ending of Digiquest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero. I'm hoping to finish it up pretty soon so I can move on to Trial by Fire. I'd like to have the finale up by Nov. 24, which will be my 1 year anniversary on Fanfiction.net (I can't believe it's 1 year. . .)