Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digiquest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero ❯ Time Passes By ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Digiquest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero

Chapter 11

By Time Lady

-----------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon or Quest for Glory

-----------------------

"That was fun!" exclaimed one of the Yukimibotamon. Exhausted, Daisuke and Takeru collapsed onto the grass. Yukimibotamon piled into their laps. Smiling, Yamato sat on the ground playing his lute while another couple of Yukimibotamon listened.

"You guys are much more fun than the other humans we see in the forest," said another.

"Let me guess. . . nasty guys with spears and shields, right?" said Daisuke.

"Yeah. When they come by, we blast them with diamond dust until they go away!" stated the Yukimibotamon.

"Speaking of diamond dust," said Takeru, "do you think we could have a little?"

"What would you want with our diamond dust?" asked one of the fluffy Digimon in his lap.

"We need to make a special potion to help someone get better. Your diamond dust is one of the ingredients," explained Takeru.

"Oh. Huddle up!" The Yukimibotamon abandoned their positions and piled together. The heroes could hear snips of conversation.

"Should we?"

"Why should we?"

"They did play with us."

"And they were really fun."

"Besides, they want to help someone."

"Oh, all right." The whole group turned to face Takeru. "OK. We'll give you some of our diamond dust. Hold out your hands." Takeru complied. A couple of the Yukimibotamon shook themselves. Sparkling white crystals much like sugar sifted into Takeru's hands.

"Thank you," he said when they stopped. Yamato took one of the empty flasks from his pack. Takeru poured the precious diamond dust into the flask.

"It's no problem." The Yukimibotamon began to yawn. "Boy, we haven't played like that in a while."

"Yeah." Daisuke yawned as well. "I guess we should get going."

"Awwwww. . ." A chorus of moans came from the Yukimibotamon.

"Maybe we'll come back another evening," said Yamato.

"Okay."

The three adventurers stood. With a chorus of goodbyes they waved to the Yukimibotamon. "Now where to?" asked Daisuke.

"We're pretty far from Hikari's Peace," said Takeru. "But we're really close to Lillymon's corner of the forest. I'm sure it would be safe to spend the night there."

"Good idea," said Yamato. "Let's go."

---

Ken pressed his body to the floor. Thankfully the sofa was the kind with the carved wooden legs. There was just enough space for his slender body to squeeze underneath. He had been just in time. Deputymon came down the stairs yawning and entered the kitchen. The thief's heart pounded as he realized this was the sheriff's house. A smile crossed his face. If he could get out of here with his booty. . . Ken froze as he heard footsteps approaching. Deputymon walked past, wiping his mouth on his sleeve. Ken listened as Deputymon climbed the stairs then closed the door.

When he was absolutely sure he was alone, Ken slipped out from his hiding place. He decided descretion was called for, scooped up the music box, and quietly left, closing the door behind himself.

---

Takeru sat up and yawned. Though their sleep was undisturbed, it was nowhere near as restful as sleeping in Hikari's Peace. Both Yamato and Daisuke were begining to stir as well. "'Morning," said Takeru as they sat up.

"Oh man, I feel like I spent the night on the ground," groaned Daisuke, trying to stretch the kinks out of his back.

"You _did_ just spend the night on the ground," returned Yamato acidly as rubbed his side.

"Yeah, but it didn't feel like this after sleeping in Hikari's Peace," complained Daisuke.

"Probably something in the spell surrounding the area allows for total rest and recuperation," explained Takeru. "I didn't have any of those dreams, and I don't feel as energized as I do after a night there."

"Come on. Let's head back to town, drop off the potion ingredients, and get a good, hot breakfast at the inn," said Yamato.

---

"Wake up sleepyhead," Ken heard as someone shook his arm. Instinctively he flailed out at whatever was on him, then buried his head further under the pillow.

"Man, what is with you?"

"Maybe we need some ice water."

"Go away," growled Ken to the voices around him.

"Perhaps Shema has something for people who can't get themselves out of bed in the morning."

"Nah. Pouring coffee on him would just burn him."

"Will you guys leave me alone," snarled Ken as he sat up and tossed the pillow at where the others seemed to be.

"Do we even want to know what you've been up to all night?" asked Yamato.

"No." Ken glared at the others.

"Well while you were up to whatever last night," said Daisuke, leaning on the edge of the bed, "we found the remaining two potion ingredients."

"Good thing I remembered on the way back to town that the falls by the hermit were called the Flying Falls," said Takeru.

"Yeah. We're well on our way to being heroes of this town." Daisuke grinned from ear to ear.

"We still have to figure out where the brigands have their hideout," Yamato reminded him.

"Details, details," returned Daisuke.

"But are we really ready to take on the brigands if we find them?" asked Takeru.

"What do you mean?" asked Yamato.

"I mean, if you guys were face to face with twenty brigands, do you feel sure enough in your sword fighting skills to be able to take them on." Takeru noticed Daisuke and Yamato glancing at each other. "I know I don't think my spell-casting is strong enough to last that long. While we're trying to find the brigands, we need to be building our skills."

"Takeru's right," yawned Ken. "No way we're ready to take on a big gang."

"So what do we do?" asked Daisuke.

"Keep our eyes and ears open and work our butts off," said Takeru. "And that means you and Yamato practice with the weapons master at the castle. I'll be up at Wizardmon's castle practicing spells. Ken. . ."

"I'm going to keep to town and keep my eyes and ears open. I've made a few interesting 'contacts' that may eventually help us find out where the brigands are. There's also an archery range just outside of town, where I can practice some dagger throwing."

Yamato refrained from commenting on his brother and Ken's ideas. He would have rather kept Takeru close, but he was trying to be mindful of his brother's different needs. "Just so long as we manage to keep in contact," he said.

"Can we talk later," said Daisuke. "I'm starving and I can already smell Shema's cooking."

The others rolled their eyes. "You guys eat. I'm not that hungry," said Ken, who then proceeded to bury his head under his pillow.

---

Takeru hiked along the path up Mount Zauderberg, whistling as he walked. Yamato had been rather insistent on everyone meeting back at the inn by sundown, but at least he didn't try to come along. The others would be bored by Mage's Maze and spell discussions.

By the time Takeru reached the castle, he was breathing heavily. "Going to have to work on the stamina," he noted mentally.

Gargomon looked down from his perch over the door. "Oh, it's you again," he said. "Okay, here are you three questions. What is your name?"

"Takeru."

"What is your quest?"

"I want to be a wizard."

"What is the mean air speed of an unladen swallow?"

Takeru blinked in surprise. "African or European?" he asked.

"Hmmm. . .," Gargomon scratched its head. "I have no idea. I'll have to ask the boss sometime. OK, you win. Go on through. The wizard will see you now."

"Thanks." With a wave, Takeru made his way up to the tower. Wizardmon sat, sipping his tea while Chuumon nibbled a piece of cheese.

"Welcome Takeru. Ready for a round of Mage's Maze?" asked Wizardmon as he set down his tea.

"The kid looks pumped," said Chuumon. "Get ready to lose Wizardmon."

"No one asked you," sniffed Wizardmon.

---

Yamato sat on the ground taking a breather while he watched Daisuke take on the Weapons Master. Daisuke was definitely more aggressive. However, the Weapons Master used Daisuke's aggression against him.

"Watch your opponent," said the Weapons Master as Daisuke picked himself up. "You're leaving yourself open to attack."

"I want to try that again." Daisuke brushed the grass off his knees.

"I think you need to watch some more," returned the Weapons Master. He turned his gaze to Yamato. "Your turn."

Repressing a groan, Yamato got to his feet and faced the Weapons Master.

---

"Zzzz. . .," snored Ken. He rolled over onto his stomach and buried his head further under the pillows.

---

"So that's the Dazzle spell," said Takeru as the spell ingrained itself in his memory.

"Yes. I'm rather surprised you beat me so soon," returned Wizardmon. "Most people require a few dozen times before they can beat me."

"And how many of those actually have a brain?" quipped Chuumon.

Wizardmon chose to ignore his familiar. "So, what else has been going on with you?"

"We met Lillymon of the forest. She told us to make a dispel potion. Aluramon's working on it right now."

"Oh? Have a lead on something?"

"Very tenuous. We still don't have all the pieces together yet."

Wizardmon nodded sagely. "When the time is right. Some of these curses do have particular timing."

"Meanwhile, there's been something I've been meaning to ask you about." Takeru related the dreams he had while in Hikari's Peace.

"Interesting. You may be in tune enough to be picking up residual images from the time when Hikari created the area," mused Wizardmon.

"Sort of like dream re-runs," added Chuumon.

"Er, yes. And none of your friends had these dreams?" asked Wizarmon.

"No. Not even my brother."

"I haven't heard of too many magic users spending the night there. Certainly I haven't. It might be something for investigation once everything settles down in Spielburg." Wizardmon took a sip of his tea and sat back in his chair, staring at Takeru thoughtfully.

---

Over the next few days, the heroes' routines fell into a pattern. Mornings Ken slept in for a few hours then went to the archery range while Takeru visited Wizardmon and Daisuke and Yamato trained with the Weapons Master. After a midday meal at the inn, they would all go to the Goblimons' training area for extra practice. Daily they could see their skills improving.

On those days that Ken hadn't been out carousing the night before, he began practicing his stealth. Sneaking around town wasn't a good idea but he needed the practice. Instead he crept around the surrounding countryside, avoiding monsters and brigands and climbing the occasional tree.

One of those days, he was in extremely good spirits. A Mojamon that had been lost in the mountains had traded a priceless, glowing gem for a hundred apples. The gem had to be worth more than the ten silvers he paid for the fruit.

"I don't think Boris will pay much for this," he thought. "But with guys like Igamon around, who wants to take a chance on carrying this kind of gem around. Maybe I can hide it in Hikari's Peace."

The only problem with Ken's plan was the fact that he had only visited the Peace once. A few wrong turns brought the thief to a place the total opposite of his destination. Instead of the finding the calm beauty of Hikari's Peace, Ken found himself in a place that brought shivers to his spine. The ground looked as if it hadn't had anything grow in it for years. A few dead, rotting trees broke up the bleak ground. A short distance up the mountain sat a small hut. Literally. The hut appeared to be covered with brown feathers, with two spindly chicken legs. The most chilling feature about the area was the fence decorated with human skulls, each with eerily glowing eyes. One section had a large Pumpmon head as the centerpiece.

"Babamon Yaga does not welcome strangers," growled the pumpkin head. "She is one tough magic user. If you're crazy enough to want to get inside, you have to deal with me first!"

Babamon Yaga! Ken's heart froze. Every instinct told him to run and get the others. But a voice in the back of his head pointed out that if Babamon Yaga was defeated, there was a hefty reward. Greed kicked in. If he defeated her, the reward would be his. Another voice said: "What are you, crazy?" Ken thought a moment, then stepped closer to the Pumpmon.

"What kind of deal?" he asked cautiously.

"See the skulls? They're Babamon Yaga's spies, so they get beautiful glowing eyes. Me? 'Just open and close the gate,' she says. 'You don't need glowing eyes for that.' She doesn't think I need to see who I'm letting in."

"And the deal?" asked Ken before he lost his nerve.

"Get me a glowing gem," said Pumpmon. "Then I'll let you in."

Ken blinked. The gem Mojamon traded would probably work. He weighed his options. Get a few hundred silver for the gem, or get the reward for defeating Babamon Yaga along with the glory and notoriety. "And how do I get to the hut?" he asked cautiously.

"Just say the rhyme. Call out 'Hut of brown, now sit down.' It'll come on down to where you can go in. If you dare." The carved pumpkin grin appeared to widen a bit.

"I hope I'm not going to regret this," thought Ken as he considered his options again. After a few long moments, he rummaged in his pack and pulled out the gem. "Maybe I can steal it back later," he added mentally. "Okay, what do I do?"

"Open up the top of my head and slip it inside." Ken followed Pumpmon's directions. Once the gem was in place, he put back the top of the head. "I CAN SEE!" Pumpmon exclaimed jubilantly. "Is that what you look like? Yeeechhh."

Ken glared at Pumpmon, whose eyes and mouth now glowed like the skulls. "What about our deal?"

The gate began to slide into the ground. "Good luck," cackled Pumpmon as he disappeared into the dirt. "Hope you remember the rhyme."

The way to hut was now clear. "I must really be hanging around Daisuke too much," thought Ken as he crept forward. Perhaps he should just get a quick glance, case the place, then go get the others. Yeah. . . that would be a better idea. . . "Hut of brown, now sit down!" he called out. The hut spread two wings that Ken hadn't seen before and fluttered down to the level ground. It then seemed to sit down. A door slid open. Cautiously he slipped inside.

Only a few candles and a glowing hearth gave any light. But as a thief, Ken was used to dim lighting. Part of him didn't really want to see too much of what was in the hut. For the most part, Ken felt like he was in a cave with a tile floor. A cauldron hung over the hearth. As there appeared to be no signs of anyone around, Ken forced back his fears and crept forward. Oddly enough, the inside of the hut appeared far more spacious than the outside. Shelves contained books, vials, bottles, boxes, and other odds and ends used for potions and spells. An odd puff of smoke seemed to hover without dissipating. Near the hearth, a glowing lump seemed to have oozed out of the fire.

Suddenly the "lump" looked up and the "puff of smoke" opened its eyes. Startled, Ken took a step back. "What the. . ." Light flashed. A column of smoke appeared and resolved itself into the ogress Babamon Yaga herself.

"Powers of night
Shadows of day
Heed my words
Now you stay!"

Ken found himself unable to move. The ogress stepped close and examined him. "Look pets, we have a visitor," she cackled. The puff of smoke, her pet Mokumon, and the glowing blob, her pet Zurumon, moved closer. "What say we have him for dinner?" As much as Ken wanted to decline, he couldn't open his mouth.

"Moku moku."

"Hero sandwiches?" asked Babamon Yaga. The Mokumon nodded. "I don't know. I had something more formal in mind." She turned a malevolent eye towards Ken.

"Here me o power
of Klathe and mana
Turn now my guest
Into a spieces called Rana!"

Much to Ken's surprise and chagrin, he found his body shrinking. His clothing turned to green slimy skin. He felt his eyes bulging out. "What do you think of this spell? Wizardmon taught me that after I beat him at Mage's Maze a few times. Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of frog legs fricassee." Babamon Yaga came over and picked Ken the frog up by one leg. Mokumon and Zurumon began to make a fuss. "Critics. We can't all be gourmands." Ken felt the spell paralyzing his body wearing off. He struggled as much as he could, but Babamon Yaga had a tight grip on his leg. "I don't suppose you have a name. . . other than dinner that is."

Ken began croaking, trying to convey that he had a name. Though the blood was rushing to his head he tried to nod.

"So, you're one of those heroes wandering around the countryside. The only good hero is a dead hero, I always say." Babamon Yaga thought for a moment. "I have no need of heroes. However, I need a brave fool." She held him up so she could look into his eyes. "Are _you_ brave?"

Uncertain of where this was leading, Ken nodded.

"Well now. Perhaps if you will do me a teensy favor, I might decide not to have you for supper. I need some Mandrake root." The ogress grinned, sending shivers down Ken's froggy spine. "Would you be a dear and fetch me some?"

Ken considered. How hard could finding some Mandrake root be? Anything would be preferable to being eaten. He nodded again.

"Oh. And my mouth was watering for frog. Sometimes there just have to be tradeoffs." The witch stared at Ken.

"Hear what I say
Heare me right
Mandrake must be pulled
Precicely at midnight!
This I tell you
This I say
Return with the root
'Ere the next day!
Here what I say
And know I don't lie
Bring back the root
Or else you will die!"

She put Ken the frog on the floor. "You shoo!" Ken suddenly found himself outside of the gates. Then he heard Babamon Yaga say "Oh, I almost forgot."

"Here me o powers of mana and more
Turn this fool back as he was before."

As Babamon Yaga finished her incantation, Ken turned back to human. "Damn," he said aloud "I better find the Mandrake root and fast."

---

Ken sauntered into the inn, acting as if nothing had happened. Daisuke was relating his day to Takeru and Abdulla Doo.

"Oh man, you should have seen the Weapons Master's face when I knocked him on his rear!" said Daisuke gleefully. "That should teach _him_ something. I mean, what right did he have to act so superior to everyone?"

"I don't think he ever thought he'd lose," said Yamato.

"My friends, you have come a long ways in the few weeks since you have been here," said Abdulla. "I can only hope that soon you will find those who attacked my caravan."

"We've been trying to figure that out," said Takeru. "We haven't had that many clues. You okay Ken?"

"I'm just tired," returned Ken.

"Well no wonder, with the crazy hours you keep," said Daisuke. "I mean, when's the last time you got a regular night's sleep?"

"I always had trouble sleeping at night," said Ken offhandedly.

<to be continued>

I've decided I'm finally going to take a section of the space I have for the Mystic Manor Homepage and turn it into a section for my Digimon fanfiction.

Actually, I will be turning it into several showcases, one for each of my story "sections."

I will be dividing it into the following sections:
Digimon Fairy Tale Theater (all of my fairy tales, including "A Digi-Tale")
Digiquest for Glory
Angels (the stories of Takangemon/Karangewomon)
A Teacher's POV
and one section for the miscellaneous other stories I'm working on (the Doctor and the Debutante may get it's own section later).

The problem?

I CAN'T DRAW!!!!!

Since I can't draw, my best friend the artist is bogged down with her classes, and my other friend the artist is otherwise occupied, I am putting out a request for art.

What am I looking for?

I'm looking for:
Logos
Background images
Other artwork

I'm looking for anything inspired by any of my Digimon stories that could be put up with the different stories.

I'd like to get started on the pages around Christmas (2 weeks, no school, little more planned than my mother's cataract surgery and running every hour every day for a week to put her eyedrops in), so I'll be accepting anyand all art through then (and probably afterwards as well).

Thanks all!