Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Diminished Light: Chosens' Quest ❯ Spirit's Reign ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Diminished Light: Chosens' Quest
Chapter 6
Spirit's Reign
By
Sailor Janus
 
 
“Daisuke,” Hikari whispered as her boyfriend continued hyperventilating. She leaned forward to soothe him but he backed away from her. His brown eyes were wide and terror-stricken against his pale face.
 
“What's wrong with him? Is that supposed to happen? What's in that stuff?” Jyou turned to the captain in a panic.
 
“Ewytr? Can you enlighten us?” Ryverton questioned one of the soldiers who had helped patch up the injured.
 
“I'm not certain, sir. He may be experiencing some sort of trauma. He's not a soldier after all. But I don't believe it's from a counteraction from the alura.”
 
“Daisuke?” Hikari reached a hand towards him but it was suddenly slapped away.
 
“Don't touch me!” He pressed his hands to the sides of his face and rocked back and forth. “Oh my God. Oh my God. What have I done? What the hell did I just do?”
 
“Dai-”
 
“SHUT UP!” He dropped his hands and snapped his head towards her, brown eyes angry and fearful. “I just slaughtered all those things!” He lifted his hands palms up towards her in detest. “I-I murdered living creatures with my own hands! I killed them in cold-blood!”
 
“But-”
 
“STAY AWAY FROM ME!” He scrambled to his feet and held his hands in front of them as if blood were dripping from his palms. “Just stay away. I don't know what just happened, but…stay away from me.”
 
Takeru marched forward and swung a fist towards Daisuke's face stopping a few centimeters from his nose. “Shut up and listen, you idiot. You saved lives doing whatever the hell you did. We would probably all have been killed if it weren't for you so stop freaking out over having killed the bad guys and calm down.”
 
Daisuke lowered his head and turned away focusing his attention on the corpses lying scattered on the former battlefield. “But I don't even know how I did it or what exactly happened. I just… reacted. What if it happens again and I kill the wrong person? I could have killed you or Hikari or anyone just as easily.”
 
Catherine placed a gentle hand on his arm. “Don't be silly. Your crest was glowing too which means you had reacted with your heart. Your heart knows who are your friends and who are not. We suspect that something in you snapped when you were watching the Dralyan knights battling those… creatures. After all, you have the Crest of Miracles and I suppose you did perform a miracle.”
 
Hikari grabbed his hand despite his flinching and squeezed it tight. “Please don't turn away from us, Dai. We need you.”
 
Takeru nodded. “Don't be a dumbass, Daisuke.”
 
“I-” Daisuke closed his eyes and drew a breath, still trying to make sense of everything in his head. His hand trembled as Hikari held it tenderly. He swallowed thickly and pulled away, taking several steps backwards as he began breathing heavier again. He shook his head and replied in a strangled voice, “No, I…can't. I… just…can't.”
 
“Daisuke,” Jyou joined the others, equally worried about the young leader. “It's okay. You're not a killer. You're not going to be locked up or anything. Your crest somehow must have given you that ability. They are different from the last ones after all, which reacted with the digimon-”
 
“SHUT UP!” He ran his hands frantically through his hair unknowingly dislodging the goggles which fell to the ground. “Stop trying to act like this is something that normally happens to us because it's not! You don't even know what the hell I've been through for the past several years.” He snorted and shook his head. “You don't even know about my last little adventure in the Digital World and I'm not talking about the garbage file.”
 
“Daisuke,” Takeru began as he focused his sincere blue eyes on his friend. “Listen, I understand that you are confused, and probably scared shitless right now over what happened, but that doesn't mean that you have to turn away from us. We've all gone through some rough times and I'll probably not be the first to say that we aren't normal. Somehow whatever was supposed to be got seriously screwed up. We all saw what was supposed to be; digimon and humans working together, living together on Earth but it didn't happen and now we're the only Chosen Children left.”
 
Daisuke froze, feeling as though someone had just thrown a bucket of ice water over him. “How did you know about that? I thought only Taichi and I saw that so-called future. Even Gennai mentioned that.”
 
“We all saw it, though it seems that he was unaware of that fact,” Jyou admitted softly. “I just don't know how much of that was the truth or just some sort of fabricated dream.”
 
Hikari nodded in agreement. “No one can truly predict the future. All you need is one decision to be changed to alter everything. It's like rolling dice. You can't follow a direct pattern to get the result you need. That's why probability exists. There is no definite answer.”
 
“Let's face it. That future was just too perfect,” Takeru smirked as he folded his arms over his chest. “And yet because we saw it, we decided that was what we were destined to become. I mean can you really see Miyako as a housewife? She'd go insane!”
 
“I guess so, but that still doesn't change what happened to me.” Daisuke shook his head and closed his eyes. “If it happens again I don't want take the chance of hurting anyone.”
 
“What, do you not trust yourself?”
 
“I had no control over myself, Takeru! I didn't even know what the hell I was doing!”
 
Hikari pursed her lips and lifted the goggles from the ground. She brushed off the dirt and stared down at them. “I was thinking… if we all saw that so-called future and if it had involved some of our dreams then… how did they find out?”
 
Takeru shrugged. “Well, Jyou comes from a long line of doctors and Daisuke mentioned that he wanted to run a noodle cart-”
 
“Yes, but how did whoever created that glimpse into the future find out? It wasn't like we announced it in the papers or anything.”
 
Jyou frowned as he adjusted his glasses. “We also saw it at different time frames. The more I think about it the more suspicious I become. I mean when you look at what has happened since BelialVamdemon was destroyed and especially after Hikari had moved, well, it wasn't exactly the best of times.”
 
“And now we have been brought back to that time frame,” Takeru murmured. He rubbed his face and frowned. “Something strange is going on, and I'm not talking about the events we had just experienced.”
 
“But what does it all mean?” Catherine looked at her friends with wide blue eyes hoping that someone might have an answer. Everyone however lowered their heads as they struggled with the question. After a moment of silence she brushed a curl from her shoulder and shifted her feet. “Regardless, we can't afford to be forced apart. We need each other. You shouldn't let a silly thing like fear push you away, Daisuke.”
 
He opened his mouth to reply but Ryverton who had been in deep conversation with his men to allow the group of friends to discuss whatever it was that they needed to, approached the group of Chosen who quickly fell silent.
 
“I don't mean to interrupt, but time is of the essence and if we want to arrive in town before nightfall we must set out now.” The Captain's green eyes glittered earnestly as his men nodded in agreement. “We are glad to see that you seem to be alright, Daisuke.”
 
“Uh, thank you.” He glanced around then straightened up. “Well, you said time is pressing so we're ready whenever you are, sir.”
 
“Daisuke,” Hikari held out his goggles, but he walked past without giving her a second's glance. She tucked a strand of hair that had blown in her face behind an ear as she stared at his back, trying not to look hurt by the way he had nonchalantly brushed her off. Lifting her head she turned away from the others as Daisuke and the knights began to head off. Takeru and the others exchanged glances and trailed after.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Koushiro's dark eyes bore into Tani's pale face as he knelt by her side and took her pulse. It was faint yet still strong. He clenched his jaw as the sensation of being hopelessly helpless swam through his head. They were alone in what seemed to be the middle of no where and he had no clue as far as what he could do to help her. He looked up at the rough walls of the cave they were in but found no answers. He wished they hadn't sent the digimon back. They could have provided some sort of aid though how, he wasn't sure but at least he wouldn't have been alone.
 
He muttered a string of curses as he dropped his face in his hands. He was supposed to be one of the smartest and productive of the Chosen yet there he was scared out of his mind without any idea of what he could do to help Tani. If Taichi ever finds out my life might end prematurely. He shook his head hard. “Snap out of it, Koushiro. You've been in worse situations. Okay. Got to think. It'd be so much easier if she could just wake up.”
 
A soft moan echoed from Tani's lips as she squeezed her eyes shut tighter.
 
Koushiro lurched backwards in shock as he stared at her then sat up scowling; if only all his wishes would come true as easily as that one. “Tani? Are you awake?”
 
“I feel sick,” she replied weakly as she lifted a shaky hand to her face.
 
“Not as sick as I did when I realized that I was unable to help you.” He gave her a gentle smile as she opened her eyes and stared vacantly at him for a moment.
 
“You're not on my end of the deal though I think I understand what you mean.” She smirked slightly and rubbed at her forehead as she sat up, unconsciously knocking the goggles and her bandana from her head. Her pigtails sprang forward, freely from their constraints. She gazed up at him and tilted her head thoughtfully. “I wouldn't have pegged you for Akina's type but then again, maybe I would.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
Tani winced at a slight pain in her shoulder, where she must have landed when she had passed out then drew a breath. “I won't be the first to say this but my sister can be difficult. Usually she never knows what she wants but at least when she chose a boyfriend…. Well, she seems to have made a good choice.”
 
Koushiro flushed at the compliment and stood up. “Well, thank you. So, um how do you feel?”
 
“My stomach is killing me at the moment but that could be because I haven't eaten in awhile.”
 
“Then I supposed the best thing to do see if we can find a way out of this place. That is if you are up to walking.”
 
Tani rose to her feet and brushed herself up as she tested the muscles in her legs. Deciding that she wasn't in any major pain, she scooped up her bandana and goggles, tying the bandana firmly around her head before setting the goggles on top then grinned at Koushiro. “Nothing seems to be broken so I guess I'm good to go.”
 
“You're the leader,” He nodded, returning the smile. Together they headed out of the cave, unsure of what to expect in their travels but hopefully they'd lead to food, their friends, and digimon along the way.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Miyako leaned her head against the gritty wall as she toyed with her ponytail out of boredom. She had just endured a grueling interrogation and after having provided no useful information, was thrown back in the cell. She sighed, pondering whatever became of Ken and the other Chosen. They had to be somewhere and death in her mind was not an option. She simply refused to believe it.
 
A moment later the far wall opened and Yamato was shoved inside before it closed up once again. Her brown eyes widened in horror at the sight of blood dripping from several cuts on his handsome face. She immediately bolted to her feet and flew to his side.
 
“What the hell did those bastards do to you?” Her fingers trembled as she touched his shoulder to turn him over. He however shrugged her away and crawled a few feet towards a corner before taking refuge there.
 
Yamato wiped at the blood running down his cheek and sucked in a deep breath as his vest rubbed painfully against the wounds on his back. He was glad however to see that Miyako had remained unharmed. He curled a hand into a fist and snorted. “Let's just say that they didn't like the answers I gave them.”
 
“They didn't have to beat the shit out of you!”
 
He raised an eyebrow at her choice of words then chuckled. She frowned at him as though he had lost his mind.
 
“What? What's so funny?”
 
“What you said. I haven't heard you talk when you're pissed in a while and I somehow forgot that you weren't `Miss Prim and Proper'.”
 
She rolled her eyes and folder her arms over her chest. “I never have been. Hikari was the one trying to be `Little Miss Innocent' though the words that came out of her mouth sometimes…. well, Taichi would have freaked if he heard her.”
 
Yamato's jaw dropped as he stared incredulously at her. “Hikari cussed? She used to get on everyone's case about using that kind of language!”
 
“Yeah, well, after a while that went out the window. She does seem to have a talent for not doing it in front of adults and children though; especially in public. It's like an automatic thing.” Miyako sighed and sat down near Yamato but far enough away to give him his space. “This is so stupid. We're having a conversation about cussing of all things!”
 
“Well, it's something we have in common.”
 
Miyako winced at the sight of the blonde's injuries and chewed on her lip trying to figure out what she could do to help him. She tilted her head and said sympathetically, “How bad are they?”
 
“Stings a bit, but I don't think they're deep. I'm sure they look bad though.”
 
“Well if we ever find a way out here we can always sic your fan girls on them. If they were to take one look at those cuts, they'd probably rip whoever caused them into confetti. Jun back in her obsession days would have probably gone on a rampage.”
 
Yamato flinched at the mentioning of Daisuke's older sister. At least she had calmed down through out the years and no longer seemed interested in him. Either way it wasn't exactly a topic he felt compelled to discuss as he sat there bleeding.
 
Sensing that he wanted to leave the subject be, Miyako moved to the wall adjacent to the one he was leaning again to think of a plan for escape in silence.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Ken focused on Alzela's silver eyes as confusion flooded him over her very words. “What do you mean my next confrontation? How likely could it be that there would be a second one?”
 
“Once the Mizewn have set their sights upon an intended, only one can survive.”
 
“And what makes you think that I was selected? I was traveling with others that have seen it too.” The more they talked the more uncomfortable he felt. He fidgeted slightly in his seat, as though he could feel those intense eyes of hers roving over his body, seeping into his mind to discover any secrets that he may have held concealed. His mouth felt dry as he tried to swallow. “If you can provide any information on their whereabouts I'll be very grateful.”
 
A slow smile eased across Alzela's lips as she leaned back. “You are a very interesting young man. Cautious, yet very concerned for your missing companions.”
 
He straightened in his seat, frowning down at the food that he left untouched. “I don't mean to be rude, but if all we are going to do is talk then I must ask to be pardoned. I have important things to do and engaging in conversations is not one of them.” Ken moved to rise from the chair but as he did so, Alzela's eyes flashed as she rose to her feet, the peaceful demeanor suddenly vanished from her face.
 
“SIT DOWN, ICHIJOUCHI KEN!” As he fell back into the chair and yielded unable to move, a cruel smile spread over her face.
 
“What…. who… Why…” He gasped in a strangled voice, barely able to speak.
 
“You are in no position to argue against me.” The doors flew open as several soldiers flooded inside the room.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Tears rained down from despair-filled brown eyes as the leaves rustled gently in the breeze. Rosa hugged Otamamon tightly as they cried together in their shelter. It had been almost an hour since they had witnessed Mimi and Taichi being dragged away and she found herself unable to do anything in their defense. Instead she stayed hidden as they passed over head; afraid to meet the same fate. Once they had disappeared in the distance she began to despise herself for acting so cowardly.
 
“I'm so pathetic,” she sniffled, rubbing at her eyes. “Some Chosen I am; hiding in a tree. Mimi is much braver. Iori would be ashamed of me if he knew.”
 
“Rosa,” Otamamon began, dark eyes filled with sympathy. “You were told to protect me and that's what you did. No shame.”
 
“But Taichi and Mimi…” She squeezed her eyes closed. “I can't be a coward. I need to find Michael and Sora and then together we might be able to come up with a plan to save them.” Lifting her head high she picked Otamamon up and placed him on her shoulder then carefully climbed down.
 
“Where are we going to go?” The little digimon perched on her shoulder, glancing anxiously around for any danger.
 
Rosa paused for a moment before deciding on a direction. “I don't really know. The sooner we find Michael and Sora, the better things will be for us.”
 
“I hope Gekomon is safe.”
 
“Me too, Otamamon. Me too.”
 
*~*~*~*
 
Sora glanced around the trees as she and Michael walked aimlessly through the forest. She feared for the well being of their captured friends, wishing there had been a way to save them. She hoped it wasn't too late for Rosa either. Unlike Taichi and Mimi, she didn't have any idea of how much experience the girl had in dealing with danger. She winced at the grim appearance of Michael's face as he strived onward. She couldn't help but feel for him. It was obvious that he was in love with Mimi and knew that staying quiet and not rushing to her rescue like a valiant knight had to have ripped him apart. She was definitely hurting inside; he probably felt much worse.
 
After a moment Michael came to a halt and raked his hands through his hair; thoroughly frustrated. “This is hopeless. We have no freaking clue where to go and…. this isn't doing us any good! They're probably being tortured to death as we speak!”
 
“Michael,” she began gently as she placed a hand on his arm. “We can't be sure of that. We have to find Rosa-”
 
“They probably grabbed her too! We're useless! We don't even know what we're up against.”
 
“We can't give up.”
 
“Easy for you to say. You didn't just see a bunch of assholes drag your fiancé off.”
 
Sora moved in front of him, her eyes narrowing into slits. “Ignorance is not always bliss. If things are bad here, they could be much worse where Yamato is. I am worried sick that he may have met a worse fate than Mimi and the fact that I can't contact him isn't a comfort either. Something strange is going on here. I don't have a damn clue what it is, but I'm willing to find out what rather than sit and complain about how much everything sucks.”
 
Michael opened his mouth to give a retort but found that he couldn't form any proper words. It was as though his mind had been wiped clean. Instead he dug his hands in his pockets and took a deep breath.
 
“I didn't mean to get in your face but I can't handle any negativity at the moment or I am going to shatter again.” She turned and walked away.
 
“Sora,” he hesitated a moment then paused as a noise sounded behind them. They spun around and gasped at discovering that they were surrounded.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Rosa picked up her pace as she heard what sounded like a terrified scream not too far from where she was. As she neared the location, she doubled back and scrambled up a particularly high tree. Peering down she discovered that the last of her companions were crowded against each other as the knights that had taken Taichi and Mimi began to close in. There has to be something I can do. I refuse to just sit here and watch them being captured as well. I can't let it happen again. I refuse to let it happen again.
 
*~*~*~*
 
“Surrender now, fools.” One of the knights sneered as Michael pressed his back against Sora's. Suddenly a golden light burst from the branches of one of the trees. Everyone turned in shock as what appeared to be a small stone streaked through the air and crashed behind the two Chosen. Michael realizing what it might be, shoved Sora to the ground, shielding her as it exploded, leaving a fine mist that consumed the stunned knights.
 
“RUN!” He got back to his feet, grabbed her arm, yanking her up and together they bolted as another stone like object flew over their heads. The knights screamed in agony this time as the stone burst, showering them with tiny stones that rained down like hail.
 
Just then, Gekomon leapt from another tree and landed on a bewildered Michael's shoulder who stared speechless at the digimon.
 
“Keep going! I think Rosa is holding them off,” he said excitedly.
 
“Rosa?” The blonde shook his head and continued sprinting towards the large tree that was still firing off arsenal at the knights. “ROSA! IS THAT YOU?”
 
“MICHAEL!” She came to a halt and descended from the tree. To his and Sora's shock however her crest as well as her eyes were glowing a bright gold that also seemed to illuminate from her body. “We have to get out of here! Follow me.”
 
The elder Chosen sped after the teenaged girl knowing it was useless to argue, they only hoped that she could provide some answers to the questions that were burning in the backs of their minds as they made their escape.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Jalvad approached the group of Chosen, confusion and fear etched on their faces at Iori's startling news. “I believe I can provide more information regarding the Ice Princess curse.”
 
Ami's bottom lip trembled as once again she appeared close to tears. “She's not going to die, is she?” Shina moved closer to her sister and wrapped a protective arm around her and the older man sighed.
 
“Several years ago we had a princess. She was very compassionate, beautiful, and a great ruler. One day the townsfolk noticed that she had taken to wearing gloves. Those gloves soon became longer as the movement in her right arm became more limited. Soon she became bedridden and rumors began to spread like some sort of disease that she was very ill. It wasn't until the truth was leaked out by a former servant concerning how grave her situation really was; that she was turning into ice.”
 
“How did it happen?” Wallace questioned as he gazed sadly at the table where Akina still laid.
 
Jalvad smiled sadly. “No one really knows. But from what the young lady has told me, it could very likely be the same thing.”
 
“What happened to the princess? Did she die or was made into a statue or what?” Shina bit her lip to keep her voice from quivering. The more she heard of the tale, the more uncomfortable she felt.
 
“No one knows. She had oddly enough disappeared, never to be seen again.”
 
Ami brought a hand to her mouth attempting to muffle her cry of horror. She winced and lowered her head. “There has to be something we can do. I don't want Akina to disappear!”
 
Shina frowned. “Wait, how can ice disappear? It can melt but we have seen for ourselves that the ice on Akina is not even cold.”
 
“That is a great mystery.” The man took a step back and gestured to the table. “Come. You all must be famished. I can provide what little I can then we'll travel into town and see if anyone else may possess further information concerning the Ice Princess curse.”
 
The Chosen exchanged glances then looked at the table and back at each other. Ami chewed on her lip as she toyed with her fingers. “Um, what are we going to do about Akina?”
 
“I'm not dead,” the elder triplet retorted weakly as she lifted herself up using her elbows to a sitting position. She pivoted and scooted her legs over the edge, allowing them to dangle. “And I don't intend to act as though I am dying. If I lose the ability to use certain body parts…I'll deal.”
 
No one had an argument against Akina as she slid off the table to land shakily on the ground. She placed her uniced hand on the table top to maintain her balance and smiled as the others joined her.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Jalvad smiled as he rose from the table. “Are you certain that I can't interest anyone else in more stew?”
 
“No, thank you. We are quite full but thank you very much, sir. It was really good,” Akina smiled graciously.
 
“Yes, sir, thank you,” Iori said politely. “Would you mind if I assist you in clearing away the table?”
 
“Not at all, lad. Help away if you insist,” the elder man chuckled as the teenaged boy piled up the dirty bowls and trailed off to follow Jalvad.
 
Shina leaned back in her chair and released a deep sigh. “It's a good thing we ran into Jalvad. I don't know what we would have done without him.”
 
“Probably starved,” Ami said as she leaned against her elbows on the table.
 
Akina stared at her icing over right hand then tucked it back under the table. “I wish there was something we can do to fix this but right now, it looks like its hopeless.”
 
Wallace folded his arms across his chest as he rocked back and forth on the back two legs of the chair, pressing his feet against the legs of the table for balance. “There has to be someway. I mean it's unlikely that the Ice Princess just went poof which means either someone kidnapped her or she found a way to be cured and has been in hiding ever since because the royal life was sucking and she wanted to live outside of the castle for a change.”
 
“You watch way too many movies, but that could be a valid idea.” Shina pressed her fingers to her mouth as she ran the story around in her head.
 
“Maybe… Akina is like the reincarnation of the princess,” Ami's eyes twinkled as she grinned. “And the only way for the spell to be broken is if the prince comes and kisses her and then they'll get married and live happily ever after.”
 
“And you watch way too much anime and Disney movies.” She rolled her eyes and sat up. “Anyway, we need to think of where to go from here. We still have our mission to complete.”
 
“Good point,” Wallace nodded. “I suppose a town might be a good decision. We can listen out for any rumors on strange creatures being sighted.”
 
“I don't know. I think-” Ami began when she was suddenly interrupted by a loud banging.
 
Everyone in the cottage froze in confusion and looked at the front door which gyrated as the pounding began again.
 
“Oh no…” Jalvad stared at the door as the Chosen glanced at him and the door, suddenly feeling nervous over the commotion.
 
“What's going-” Ami started to say when she was interrupted again as a loud voice bellowed above her own soft one.
 
“OPEN THE DOOR IN THE NAME OF HIS ROYAL MAGESTY OR ELSE WE WILL BREAK IT DOWN WITH BRUTE FORCE!”
 
*~*~*~*
 
Author's Notes: This chapter would have probably have been done a lot sooner if I hadn't been assaulted by migraines. I swear, I have a barometer for a head. Whenever the air pressure changes to the point where it's going to rain, I get hit with some rather unpleasant pain. Doesn't help much with that fact that where I live is humid and muggy.
 
Anyway, things seem to be getting more interesting and of course, nothing has actually really been planned out. It just wrote itself again.
 
I hope you have enjoyed the newest installment. Until then.