Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Diminished Light: Chosens' Quest ❯ The Strength of Will ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Diminished Light: Chosens' Quest
Chapter 7
The Strength of Will
By
Sailor Janus
 
 
A gentle breeze wafted in the air, playfully twirling the bright green leaves of the trees and bushes. Happy birds chirped out their joyful songs as the sun continued to blaze across the sky with its golden radiance. Hikari's brown eyes however did not gaze upon the graceful work of art that nature displayed. Instead she was lost in her own thoughts as she trailed behind the Dralytes and the other Chosen, Daisuke's forgotten goggles still clutched in her hand.
 
I haven't seen him act this cold before. What has he not told me? It's like he's angry with me or something. Did I do something wrong? Hikari bit her lip, afraid that tears would soon fall; she couldn't let them. She blew a strand of hair that fell in her face then sighed in frustration as it maintained its newfound place. Rather than move it with her hand she closed her eyes and bowed her head, allowing it to stay where it chose.
 
“Are you okay?”
 
Hikari's head snapped up to find the bright blue eyes of the French girl looking at her in concern. Hikari lifted one shoulder in a partial shrug and lowered her head once again. “I guess I'm that obvious.”
 
“A little,” Catherine replied as she placed a comforting hand on her friend's shoulder. “But only because you are way behind everyone else. It's about Daisuke, isn't it?”
 
“It's just…” She drew a deep breath and winced. “I don't know what to do. I'm worried about him. You probably wouldn't understand.”
 
“As a matter of fact, I do. But that's just the way guys can be. They can drive a girl crazy in more ways that one especially when they seem to… how do you say it…brood.”
 
Hikari sighed and looked down at the toes of her boots. “But that doesn't answer any questions. If he'd just talk to me-” She bit her lip and choked back a sob not wanted to burst into tears. Instead she squeezed the goggles tightly, not wanting to let go of them. “I feel like I'm to blame for everything and that everyone would have been better off if I had stayed gone or if Nitoni had succeeding in killing me or-”
 
“STOP IT!” Catherine grabbed the frantic girl by the shoulders and shook her. “Listen to yourself! You're being utterly ridiculous.” She drew a breath and released her grip on Hikari as she stepped back. “Give him some time. It'll be okay.”
 
“Catherine? Are you two okay?” Takeru looked at the blonde girl speculatively. Jyou too turned around frowning.
 
“We're fine. Hikari's just… worried.”
 
“About what?” Jyou questioned.
 
“Nothing. I mean… just how long it's going to take us to get into town before dark,” the Chosen of Light replied quickly as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.
 
“Hikari-” the French girl began before the other girl quickly dismissed her with a sharp look.
 
“There is nothing else wrong, Catherine. Let it drop.”
 
“But you-”
 
“Leave me alone!” Hikari picked up her pace and sped past her friends to join the Dralytes as they continued towards the town. Daisuke paid her no attention as he walked alongside Ryverton.
 
Takeru turned in concern to Catherine who had froze in shock at the Japanese girl's outburst. He gently placed his hand on her arm and gave her a kind smile. “She'll be okay. We just need to figure out some way to get those two talking again.”
 
“She didn't need to yell at me,” Catherine murmured still looking as though she had been stricken. “I know that she's upset, but I was only trying to help-”
 
“Shhh,” he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead. “I know that and she knows that, but two things won't change. A: that she is worried about Daisuke. And B: that she doesn't want to cause anyone else to worry about her. She's stubborn that way. She hates being a burden and won't voice things unless she absolutely has to.”
 
“He's right,” Jyou nodded. “Even when she was a little kid. Unfortunately, she'd just stress everyone out because of that stubbornness; especially when it concerned her health. Because she didn't tell anyone how she really felt, it just made things worse.”
 
“And it seems that she still hasn't broken that habit. If she tries to pretend that nothing is wrong; then nothing is wrong.” Takeru shook his head as he sighed in exasperation. “She really needs to stop doing that.”
 
Catherine sniffled softly. “So it's not just me?”
 
“No. She does it with everyone. And I mean everyone. It's a wonder that Taichi doesn't have gray hair. She used to freak us all out, especially with the whole World of Darkness thing…. I'll explain that to you later.”
 
 
“Okay.”
 
 
*~*~*~*
 
“We're finally home!”
 
Hikari's head snapped up as several of the knights cheered enthusiastically. Children's laughter and various townsfolk's chatter filled the air. I've been so out of it that I didn't even realize that we had entered the town. I'm such a mess.
 
“Here, Miss,” a little boy held out a white flower to Hikari.
 
“Th-thank you,” she kindly accepted it as the boy smiled in glee at her. She glanced down at the small gift thoughtfully as the boy trotted off towards one of the knights who may have been his father.
 
“Wow, this place is like something out of a fairytale!” Catherine exclaimed as they took in the sights of the various vendors and shops lined up along the streets. A short ways in the distance small welcoming-looking cottages were standing next to each other. Men, women, and children went about their business shopping, chatting, and playing as the last of the lingering sunlight lit their paths.
 
The Chosen stood in awe as the Dralytes were greeted by loved ones. It was very peaceful and everything that they had hoped the town would be.
 
“Hey, Daisuke,” Takeru said, breaking the Chosen leader out of his stupor. “Catherine and I are going to see about finding some place to stay…”
 
Jyou stepped forward as well, pushing his glasses more firmly to his face. “And I was planning on finding out more information on this place so if you don't mind, why don't you and Hikari see about finding some supplies?”
 
“But-” Hikari began as Takeru took Catherine's hand in his and grinned.
 
“Great! We'll meet back here at sundown!”
 
Wait!” But her words remained unheard as she found herself standing awkwardly alone with Daisuke. She bit her lip hoping she wouldn't cry as they glanced at each other then turned away. Things did not bode well at all.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Miyako's eyes fluttered open as the grumbling of stone grinding against stone jolted her awake. Someone was inside the cell. She didn't even know she had fallen asleep but now she was more alert than ever.
 
If they think they can just barge in here and try to intimidate us into submission then they have another thing coming. She tensed ever muscle prepared to spring if need be. She wasn't sure what she would do exactly but no one ever said that improvising was not an option. All she had to do was react and hopefully she wouldn't make a bigger mess of things than they already were.
 
“Hey!” Yamato roared in a mixture of outrage and pain as two guards grabbed him by the arms and hauled him roughly to his feet. “Let me go!”
 
“You and the woman are ordered to be brought to trial, then if found guilty will be executed,” the thinner of the two men barked as he shoved the blonde against the wall and snapped a pair of shackles to his wrists.
 
“Under what terms?”
 
“Stealing and selling secrets.”
 
Miyako bunched her hands into fists as she shot up. “That's a lie! We're not even from around here you, tin cans. You have nothing on us!”
 
“SILENCE!”
 
Two more guards rushed towards her and at that moment she knew unless she and Yamato found a way to escape their lives were going to end rather abruptly. “You can't hide under your bullshit laws of lies. I don't know who you, idiots think you are but unless you back off right now and let us go, you'll be sorry,” she warned as her body grew warmer.
 
Yamato stared in amazement as her once gentle brown eyes shone with a deep forest green. The same vibrant color lit up her crest. Several of the guards paused, unsure of what to make of the young woman. “Miyako…”
 
“And just what do you think you're going to do? You're nothing but a weak, helpless woman,” sneered the senior guard.
 
Miyako's eyes narrowed into slits as her hands glowed the same intense green shade. Suddenly several sharp-looking daggers materialized in her grasp. She raised one hand; her long fingers held the tips of the blades then launched them at the arrogant man, narrowly missing him and instead hit two of his comrades who had been standing behind him in the shoulder. Both men cried out as the blades sliced through their armor as though it were merely tissue paper.
 
Yamato's eyes widened as another pair appeared in her empty hand. A slow smirk curved on her pink lips as she glared at the leader.
 
“You were saying, dumbass? Now let my friend and I go unless you have a life's ambition of being a pin cushion.”
 
The man growled as he withdrew the keys and stepped towards the male captive. “I didn't realize that you were a witch. But even if that were so, that doesn't explain how you were able to use sorcery in here. It's impossible!”
 
Miyako approached menacingly, flicking a knife at the guard once again and missing, hitting another one in the arm instead. “Unchain him now.” She threw one blade and nicked the side of the heavy armor. “Before I get impatient and decide to see if the color of your blood is any different from your fellow idiots.”
 
The guard grunted as he unlocked Yamato's shackles then shoved him towards Miyako. Both Chosen Children's eyes widen in horror as Yamato tumbled towards his armed friend. They screamed as he collided into her, wincing in fear of being stabbed by the sharp knives that were in Miyako's hands, but it never came.
 
Yamato crashed down and looked in confusion at the young woman's shaking empty hands as she gaped at them as well. “What?”
 
“I-” she began then looked up in terror as another guard raised an axe towards them. She shrieked, drew a hand to the side of her face, away from Yamato, and threw it out. A piercing yell followed by a loud crash filled the cell as the two Chosen turned their heads only to discover two daggers sticking out of the neck of one of the guards from below his helmet. “Oh my…”
 
“We've got to get out of here NOW!” Yamato bolted to his feet and pulled a shocked Miyako up with him.
 
She weakly nodded as she tossed four daggers, two with each hand at the wall which exploded in a cloud of dust. Without a second's hesitation they fled from the cell.
 
*~*~*~*
 
The last of the sunlight bore down upon Tani and Koushiro as they trailed down the beach. It didn't take too long to find their way out of the caverns. They were both however still worried about their missing companions.
 
“I feel like a complete loser. I can't even keep my own group together.” Tani's pigtails flopped lightly in the breeze as she gazed down at her sneakers. Sometimes she didn't really understand why she was a leader in the first place.
 
“You're not a loser,” Koushiro argued lightly. “This type of thing just tends to happen to us. Whether it's Taichi or Daisuke as the leader is beside the point. Things just happen that are out of our control. We'll find them or they'll find us. Whichever comes first.”
 
“If you say so.”
 
He looked at her, and frowned as though he were unsure of what to make of her. Instead Koushiro tried to shove his hands into pockets only to discover that was something he lacked. He glared at his brown gloved hands then folded his arms over his chest.
 
“I didn't mean to be a downer. I just don't do well in the `me against the world,' type of situations. I can deal with them, but they're just not my strong suit.”
 
“Well, if you haven't noticed you're not in this alone.”
 
Tani lifted her eyes to his dark gaze and suddenly felt ashamed. She was trying to beat herself up but Koushiro on the other hand did not seem too particularly pleased about it. If anything, he seemed a bit annoyed. “I'm sorry. I-I'm just frustrated and scared and seem to have this odd habit with putting myself down whenever I'm in a bad situation as if something I could have done previous to it would have improved things… now I'm rambling. How the hell I was chosen to be a leader is beyond me.”
 
“Will you stop beating yourself up? It's not going to help things.”
“Right-”
 
“No, listen.” Koushiro snapped as he came to an abrupt halt. “We all agreed to come here. We knew there would be consequences but it's nothing different than anything we have faced before. The key thing is to not give up and not to doubt yourself and your abilities. We have to succeed or die trying. We made a promise to the digimon.”
 
Tani lowered her head and choked on a sob. “Do you think I don't know that? I just…. DAMN IT!” She covered her face with her hands and dropped to her knees. “I'm worried about everyone. I hate being separated from the group that I am in charge of because I can't protect them. I can't contact my sisters or Taichi or ….anyone. Aside of Hikari and Daisuke I barely know the rest of you only stories of what I have heard give be a slight idea of everyone else's personalities. But I still care. I don't want to lose anyone.”
 
“You really put too much on your shoulders.” He sighed and kneeled before her then looked up at the sky. What was once a bright cerulean was growing grey as the sky bleed brilliant shades of golds, pinks, and violets. “It's going to get dark. We better find shelter.”
 
Tani nodded as she drew a breath. “Right. I-I'm sorry. I keep falling apart and-”
 
“You're just too kind for your own good. Try not to worry too much or you might go gray early.”
 
She laughed as Koushiro helped her up. “Gee, thanks. Sounds like something Taichi would say actually.”
 
He scratched the back of his head and grinned. “That was the idea.”
 
 
*~*~*~*
 
“I think … we're safe.” Michael leaned over his knees and panted heavily as he struggled to catch his breath. He couldn't remember how far they ran but at least there weren't any knights beating down the rickety door of what appeared to be an old barn that they had chosen for their sanctuary. The place didn't look too promising but proved to be stable. The rafters were surprisingly sturdy and despite their aged appearance proved their strength as the three Chosen scrambled up heavy planks to hide.
 
Sora shoved her thick red hair from her face and closed her eyes. “Yeah. I just hope that Mimi and Taichi will be okay.”
 
“That was a close one. Thanks, Rosa. If it weren't for you-” he glanced over his shoulder where the teenaged girl was perched and cried out in alarm.
 
“What's wrong?” Sora turned around to find Michael scrambling towards Rosa who appeared to have collapsed. “Oh no. Is she okay?”
 
“Rosa sleeping,” Otamamon replied from beside her head. “She's very tired.”
 
Gekomon nodded as glancing down at the girl as he leapt onto Michael's shoulder. “The glow is gone.”
 
“Do you think it's because of whatever power she used?” Michael scowled in thought as Sora chewed on her lip.
 
“That could be possible. I just don't understand how it happened. It was almost like how-”
 
“-the digimon evolve?” Michael finished then addressed Gekomon. “Can explain what happened to Rosa?”
 
The digimon frowned. “Tononsama Gekomon would know. Might have to do with prophecy.”
 
“What prophecy?”
 
Otamamon sniffled. “We don't know. Tononsama Gekomon mentioned a prophecy but we don't know what it was about.”
 
Sora exchanged glances with Michael. “Do you suppose that Gennai might know what they are talking about?”
 
“Might explain the new crests,” he said turning his focus back to Rosa. “There was a golden glow around her, and her crest. She also had a slingshot in her hand that she didn't have before.”
 
“Her eyes were gold colored too but they are usually brown.”
 
“Aren't there several prophecies in the Digital World involving several different events?”
 
“Yes,” Sora replied, her gaze drifting towards Rosa as well. “I have to wonder if the events we are experiencing now were foreseen as well. Perhaps that's why we were separated.”
 
Michael snorted. “Yeah, but we have no idea what is in said prophecy even if it does exist. We might as well say that there isn't one because nothing changes either way.”
 
“Must you two talk so much? I'm trying to sleep!”
 
“Rosa!” Michael grinned at the perturbed girl as she sat up glaring at them.
 
“I guess not.” She yawned and sat up then rubbed her eyes as she took in her surroundings. “How did we get here?”
 
“You don't remember?” Sora frowned. We followed you here.”
 
“You did?” She brushed her dark hair from her eyes and fixed her ponytail. “I-I no, I don't. Are you sure?”
 
“You… don't remember. Great.” Michael rubbed his face and groaned. “So much for any answers.”
 
“What?”
 
Sora smiled kindly at the Mexican girl. “It's okay. Don't worry about it. We'll figure it out later. We're just glad you're okay.”
 
“Alright. I'm hungry. Is there anything to eat?”
 
Michael and Sora glanced at each other. “Just like a digimon.”
 
“What?”
 
“Nothing.” The red head said quickly. “I think it might be safe to venture out. Let's see if we can find food then try to come up with a plan to find Mimi and Taichi.”
 
The other two Chosen agreed and together climbed down from their hiding place in search of nourishment, leaving the digimon behind them with a promise to return.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Wallace lost his balance and toppled over in his chair at the sound of the commotion outside of the door. “Oh shit!”
 
“WE WARN YOU! OPEN THE DOOR NOW!”
 
“What are we going to do?” Ami rose to her feet and clasped her hands to her chest. “I don't want to get into trouble!”
 
“Shut up,” Shina growled as Wallace scrambled up from the floor. “Jalvad, is there any other way out of here?”
 
“I'm afraid not,” the elder man replied sadly.
 
“Great. What the hell are we going to do?” The American glanced around the tiny cottage but realized that even the windows were surrounded. He cursed loudly and kicked the chair.
 
“We'll have to comply,” Akina replied softly.
 
“What?” Shina glanced at her sister as though she were insane and shook her head. “No way. Who knows what they would do to you if they saw your hand.”
 
“I refuse to let them destroy Jalvad's house when he was only trying to help us! That is not the way to show gratitude, Shina,” she replied raising her voice to an authoritative tone. The two sisters glared at each other for a moment before Akina stepped towards the door only to be grabbed from behind by Jalvad himself.
 
“Though I do appreciate the gesture, lass. You must be mad to even consider such an action,” he said gruffly as she struggled against him.
 
“I don't see why we have to act like criminals when we have done nothing wrong. Please let me go. I don't want anyone to get into any unnecessary trouble!”
 
Iori glanced at Akina then at the door and frowned. “This is quite the predicament.”
 
“Yeah, kinda a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing,” Wallace sighed.
 
Suddenly the door crashed down and several armed knights rushed through the threshold, spears thrust towards their captives' faces. “Drop any weapons and lift your hands above your heads or else risk losing them instead!”
 
“Are you happy now, Akina?” Shina hissed as she raised her hands slowly. “Instead of fighting you, we could have gotten away.”
 
“How? There was no where we could have gone let alone escape-” She said sharply as Jalvad released her.
 
“SILENCE!” The captain of the knights sneered as he stepped closer to the group then narrowed his eyes at the sight of Akina's iced over hand. “Well, what have we here?”
 
“Leave her alone,” Shina warned as she moved to protect her sister only to be rewarded with the sharp end of a spear pointed towards her throat.
 
“Quiet, girl if you know what's good for you,” the captain barked then seized Akina's hand and examined it. “I think his royal highness shall be very interested in seeing you.”
 
Akina swallowed thickly and closed her eyes as she bowed her head.
 
“What are you going to do with us,” Ami whimpered, hot tears streaming down her pale frightened face. “We didn't do anything wrong.”
 
“Shhh,” Iori looked at her sternly as though trying to prompt her not to break down.
 
“A likely story,” the captain scoffed as he directed his men. “Away with them.”
 
“What?” Wallace gasped as one of the knights hit him over the head with the blunt end of a sword. As he collapsed to the ground unconscious Iori and Jalvad met the same fate.
 
Akina stared in horror at their still forms then cried out in alarm as she was thrown over a man's shoulder while another bound her wrists.
 
“This is so sexist!” Shina shouted angrily as she too was unceremoniously lifted up. “We can be just as big of a threat as men, you pigs!”
 
“Shut up, Shina!” Ami shrieked as she cried harder. “I don't want to be knocked out!” She screamed as the captain hit her protesting sister as well.
 
“Must I have you two silenced as well? Or can you behave?” He narrowed his eyes at them from under his black helmet.
 
Akina closed her eyes and turned her head away as Ami bit her lip whimpering softly as she tried to control her tears.
 
“Very well. Let's head out.”
 
*~*~*~*
 
Author's Notes: Since this chapter is finally updated that can only mean one thing if you've read my profile; I got a new laptop. I love this thing. The other was like playing Russian Roulette; I had no clue if it would die completely on me or not, let alone the issues I was having with it powering off and not recognizing the battery/ac.
 
This chapter took me by surprise in a few ways. Since I lost track the where I left off, it once again wrote itself. Where I got stuck the most was with Miyako and Yamato. I had no idea where to go exactly.
 
Now that I have a new laptop I'll be able to write more often again. I was pretty much going nuts not being able to write. It's nice to be able to have things back to normal with a new machine.
 
I am also creating a website with two of my best friends that are also writers which will feature our original series and novels that we are seeking to get published. It'll include web stories as we'll call them involving side stories for the actual stories we are working on as well as teasers for the books themselves. I hope to have it up and ready by the end of the month. Keep an eye on my profile for more details. And feel free to email me on any questions you may have. My email is also listed in my profile.
 
I hope you enjoyed the newest installment and thank you for your patience.