Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Diminished Light: Chosens' Quest ❯ With Heart and Kindness ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Diminished Light: Chosens' Quest
Chapter 8
With Heart and Kindness
By
Sailor Janus
 
 
Don't cry. You can't cry. Hikari drew a deep breath as a breeze swept past her. She squeezed her still closed eyes; wishing for strength and hope and everything that she felt she lacked. “I-I guess we better go look for supplies as they suggested. Food and whatever else would be a good idea.”
 
Daisuke said nothing and kept his back to her.
 
Hikari sighed as her eyes began to water. “We can split up if you want. I don't think we'll get attacked here. Everyone seems to be friendly-”
 
“You're being naïve.”
 
She turned around and stared at the back of his jacket. A single tear slid down her cheek as she closed her eyes and lowered her head. “I know that you've been through a lot but damn it, Daisuke so have I!”
 
He spun suddenly, his eyes flashing with fury, his fists were balled at his sides. “Then why the hell doesn't anyone else see it? I'm just an idiot, is that it? A bonehead that can't seem to find a way to stay out of trouble, and who always overreacts in the end.”
 
“No-”
 
The leader turned on his heel and shoved his hands in his pockets then began to walk away. “Just leave me alone…”
 
Hikari muffled a sob and bit her lip hard. “Daisuke, do you even remember what happened after my grandparents died? Do you? I ended up in the World of Darkness! Do you even know how many times I have been dragged back there? Do you even know what it's like?”
 
Daisuke stopped, but refused to look at her as she continued crying. “You never actually told us anything, did you?”
 
She silently shook her head and clutched onto the pair of goggles still in her hand. She wanted to scream in frustration and throw them at him but felt too weak to even lift her head. “I know how you feel. I know why you don't trust new environments that easily, but I have to stay optimistic. Don't you understand that?”
 
He frowned and peered over his shoulder, his gaze dropping to the goggles in her hand. His goggles. “What are you talking about?”
 
“All the times that I have been dragged back to the World of Darkness I've been upset about something, and each time it has become harder to return to the real world.” She took a deep breath and faced her back to him then said softly, “You saw what happened last time; I lost my memories of everyone. It was partly my fault, yes, because the pain was so much that I wanted it to go away. Losing everyone was just so unbearable and I was so miserable that I…forfeited everything…including myself.”
 
“You didn't actually-”
 
“Yes, I did. I did it to myself and made matters worse. I wasn't strong enough to face the darkness, and I'm still not strong enough.” Hikari paused, wiping her eyes with the back of her gloved hand. “Shina may be the Child of Darkness but for some reason it wants me instead. It keeps calling me and I don't know how to fight against it. I don't want to go back there anymore because I'm afraid that I'll never be able to return.”
 
“But you…” Daisuke froze, as though unsure of what to do. Silently he moved behind her and paused for a moment before wrapping his arms around her. He leaned his head over her shoulder and whispered in her ear. “I-I didn't know and… well you never told me.”
 
Hikari remained silent as the tears streaked faster down her face. She felt Daisuke gently turn her around and tighten his hold on her just as her knees began to waver; allow her to use him for support. Finally her voice returned as she threw her arms around him. “I don't want to lose you again! You don't know how much it killed me inside to have to leave that day…. I had to cry myself to sleep but even then I barely slept. Couldn't eat. It was like I had died….”
 
“Shhh, it's okay. I was pretty much in just as bad a shape as you were, with the exception of the World of Darkness of course.” He chuckled lightly then winced at her lack of response. He sighed and rubbed her back soothingly. “Hey, I'm here now and I don't plan on going anywhere without you. I promise.”
 
“Really? Because if I have to go through any more heartache, I'm afraid the World of Darkness might win. I'm scared of what might be around the other corner.”
 
Daisuke pressed his cheek to Hikari's. “You're stronger than you think you are. You always have been. You just need to believe it. I'll do the best I can to protect you but you've to be able to rely on yourself too. You've just got to be brave and believe in yourself.”
 
“But you'll stick with me no matter what?”
 
“I already promised I won't go anyway without you, haven't I? But you've got to promise me that you'll find that strength that I know you have and have the courage to use it.”
 
“Okay, I promise.” She lifted her head up and much to his surprise, kissed him gently on the mouth.
 
*~*~*~*
 
A short distance away, their comrades hid behind a shop well enough out of sight, yet were successful in monitoring the couple.
 
Takeru grinned as he watched Daisuke return Hikari's kiss. “It's about time! If Daisuke didn't make a move sooner or later I was going to have to kick his ass!”
 
“Takeru!” Catherine scolded then blushed. “It is nice to see that they have made up. I didn't like seeing Hikari so depressed and Daisuke so moody. It didn't suit either of them.”
 
Jyou nodded in agreement. “Well, now that that's been fixed I think it'd be best if we headed off to do what we told them we'd do so they won't get suspicious and find out that we have actually been spying.
 
“Good point. Nothing more to see.” Takeru took Catherine by the hand and smiled at the bespectacled man. “We'll see you later, Jyou. Good luck!”
 
“Same to you and don't get into any trouble!”
 
“Hey! This is me we're talking about. Not Daisuke.”
 
“Same difference.”
 
*~*~*~*
 
Ken he cringed at the overwhelming pain that thudded in his skull. He groaned as he lifted his head, pondering what happened. He felt worse than his worse hangover. As Ken opened his eyes everything suddenly came flooding back. He was tied to a chair and in trouble. Big trouble.
 
“So, Sleeping Beauty finally awakens,” Alzela snorted as she toyed with one of her silver ringlets.
 
“Very funny. So what exactly do you want with me and what have you done with my friends?”
 
“And what makes you think I did anything with them?” She fluttered her eyelashes innocently, which only annoyed Ken more as he rolled his own.
 
“Cut the crap. This is your big chance to gloat in my face over having outsmarted me, and then share your exciting plans for world domination, destroying the world, which is the most ridiculous plot ever, becoming a god, or whatever the hell you get your kicks out of. So what are you waiting for? Rub my face in it already. We don't have all day.”
 
Alzela raised an eyebrow at her captive. “My. Overeager are we? And what happened to that gentlemanly charm that you exuded upon meeting me? You are showing rudeness.”
 
He smirked at her. “Let's just say I personally know the drill and given the position that you have put me in, I don't feel like acting polite anymore. Plus, since you seem to know what my name is, I'm guessing you know more about me than just the fact that I'm not from around here.”
 
“That might be a possibility. But I don't like playing by the rules so I think I'm just going to allow you to stew with all those questions burning in your head.” She stood up and lifted his chin with one finger. “Such a shame, really. You're rather handsome.”
 
Before Ken could ask what she meant, she kissed him on the lips then departed from the room leaving him to ponder what was going on. Regardless, he had to find a way to free himself from his restraints and escape.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Yamato gritted his teeth as he held Miyako against him as they ducked into the shadows of a large display case. He wished that she had not been so drained after doing whatever she did to save their butts. That question still race around in his head, unanswered, and at the moment, unimportant. The only thing that mattered at the moment was escaping with their lives.
 
Miyako groaned as she was dragged closer to the display case. She looked very pale and the emerald light had long since faded from her eyes and body.
 
“I thought I heard something down there,” a soldier said as the clanking of his armor echoed down the hall.
 
Yamato held his breath as the sound grew louder. If he came any closer, it would be all over for them. The blonde cursed under his breath, sat Miyako down in a corner then shoved the display case at the soldier as he drew near. Quickly he grabbed Miyako around the waist, threw her over his shoulder, and bolted down the corridor.
 
“Where is an exit when you need one,” he grumbled, dashing down another hallway. He skidded to a halt as he heard a new set of voices. His eyes darted around the pale gold hall before resting upon a large door. With no other choice, he forced his way in.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Ken cried out as something seemed to bulldoze over him with the brute force of a very angry rhino. He stared at the ceiling in a daze wondering what just hit him. It took a good while to free himself from the chair only to wind up knocked flat on his back.
 
“Ken? Is that really you?”
 
He moaned and lifted his head then blinked at two familiar faces both of which had seen better days. He immediately shot to his feet. “Yamato? What the hell happened to you? And what about Miyako? Is she okay?”
 
The blonde set the lavender haired girl down and winced in pain. “I got the crap beat out of me so to speak. Miyako didn't. Her energy is kind of sapped after saving both of our tails as we escaped from the cell. I'm still not sure what happened, but she should be okay.”
 
Ken kneeled down and brushed his hand gently against her face and through her hair then he closed his eyes and sighed. “And what of Koushiro and Tani? What happened to them?”
 
“We don't know. You're the first person we have seen since those weird waves. What is going on here? I thought we were just supposed to track down the digimon but I haven't seen any.”
 
“I don't know. I was caught by a woman called Alzela. I have no idea what she's doing. She didn't gloat like normal villains do.”
 
“The nerve of her.” Miyako's voice came out raspy but Ken thought it was the most wonderful thing he had ever heard.
 
“Miya, you're awake!” He smiled in relief at his girlfriend who wore a perplexed expression on her face.
 
“Huh?” She blinked at him then lurched upright and practically threw herself at him. “Ken! You're here! I'm so glad to see you! What happened? Where have you been?”
 
“Glad to see you're okay too,” he choked out as she squeezed him tightly.
 
“Um, Miyako? You might want to let him breathe.” Yamato laughed as Ken began to turn purple.
 
“Huh? Oh! Sorry, Ken.” She flushed as she pulled away. “I just missed you and was afraid I'd never see you again. So, are you alright?”
 
“Yeah, but we better get out of here fast. I was going to try to make a break for it before Yamato steamrolled me into the floor.”
 
“Uh, sorry about that, man.” Yamato rubbed the back of his neck and frowned. “So, I'm guessing that there is no place escape through in this room.”
 
Ken shook his head. “Windows are sealed tight and seem unbreakable, and there are no secret passages either. The only way out has got to be through that door.”
 
“Great. I love going against the odds.” The musician blew up bangs out of his eyes and shook his head. “Miyako, are you up for this?”
 
Carefully the lone female in the trio got to her feet and studied her boots for a moment before answering. “I think I'm as stable as I can get at this point and I don't feel like sticking around any longer than I have to.”
 
“Okay, Yamato, make sure Miyako gets out of here-”
 
“But-” she began to protest but he cut her off.
 
“I'm the trump card. If I have to play it so be it, but I don't want you two used as pawns to force me to do whatever the hell Alzela wants. I'll only use it if it's a last resort.”
 
“Ken!” Miyako grabbed him by his collar and shook him. “Are you insane? Do you really think I'm going to run away if you have to sacrifice yourself?”
 
“Miyako. Don't argue with me. I don't want to see you hurt-”
 
“And do you think that I want to see you hurt or dead? Damnit, Ichijouchi!” She tightened her grip on his shirt and narrowed her brown eyes coolly at him. “I don't care what you think you have to do. You're not doing it.”
 
“Miyako!” Ken growled softly under his breath as he stared back defiantly. “Listen to me. I'm not going to stand by and let them kill you. There has got to be some reason why they want me which is why I'll do a trade if that's what it takes. I was treated like a guest for some odd reason. They will try to use you against me if they have to and I can't let it come to that.”
 
“Miyako,” Yamato began gently. “He has a point. I'm pretty sure it'd kill him if something happened to you just like it'd kill me if something happened to Sora.”
 
“Right.” She nodded slowly and stepped back as she released her boyfriend's shirt. She stared at the floor for a moment with a glassy look in her eyes before she finally lifted her head again. “You do promise to survive, right? You'll return to us alive, right?”
 
Ken smiled gently and brushed a hand against her cheek. “I promise. I'm not going to die and neither will you.”
 
“You better not or I'll find a way to give you hell, Ichijouchi. That's a promise.”
 
“Not a promise I look forward to.” He chuckled and kissed her softly then pulled away and looked at Yamato who was studying one of the curtains. “Are you ready?”
 
“As I'll ever be.”
 
“Okay, here is the plan.”
 
*~*~*~*
 
Yamato slipped out of the room and peered down the hall. He glanced at Miyako who had found cover in the shadows of a banner. He nodded at her, prompting her to head further down the hall. He watched as she ducked behind a suit of armor then quickly took her previous hiding place.
 
Just when they seemed in the clear, a soldier grabbed Miyako by the arm just as she had scurried into the next hallway.
 
“Hey! Let me go!” She struggled against him but he only tightened his grip, threatening to snap her arm in two. She screamed in pain, clutching desperately at his hand in hopes of at the very least, loosening his grip.
 
Yamato charged towards the soldier with his fists flying. “You're going to break her arm, you asshole! Let her go!”
 
His rescue attempt however came to a dead halt as he was tackled from behind by two soldiers.
 
“RELEASE THEM AT ONCE!”
 
Suddenly a black blur landed in front of them brandishing a pair of dark sais. Before the soldiers could react, the captive Chosen found themselves freed once again.
 
Miyako gaped as a dozen more soldiers charged towards their rescuer then gasped as she realized it was Ken. His eyes were an inky onyx which also seemed to surround his body and weapons. “He- Wha- How?!”
 
“I was thinking the same thing when you went all Magical Girl on me.” Yamato stepped towards Miyako as she cradled her arm close to her body.
 
“Hey! I didn't go magical girl. I went kickass girl. There was no glitter and stars.” She sucked in a break then blinked as Ken slashed at two guards, sidestepped and dodged another's blow then flipped over a fourth one as another tried to skewer him. “Wow, he moves like a ninja or something!”
 
“What are you guys doing?!” Ken shouted as he slashed at and impaled another before kicking him towards the first one. “Get out of here! I'll hold them off!”
 
“But-”
 
“You're hurt. GO!”
 
Miyako didn't have a chance to argue as Yamato grabbed her and raced past Ken as he took out another pair of men before they could lay a finger on his friend or girlfriend.
 
Stay safe. Was his last thought before everything went black.
 
*~*~*~*
 
“Ow, my head hurts….” Mimi rolled over then opened her eyes and blinked at the dingy white sheets. She gasped loudly and immediately scrambled upright. She didn't remember falling asleep nor would she have even willingly laid down on a bed that looked as unsanitary was that one did. “When was the last time someone washed these? Eww. I'm so going to need a bath now!”
 
She became silent for a moment feeling disquieted over her situation. Where exactly was she and where was everything else? The last thing she could remember was trying to save some digimon and getting caught then Taichi… “Oh no, Taichi!”
 
Mimi quickly rose to her feet and glanced around the tiny unkempt room only to realize that she was alone. She pressed her fingerless gloved hands to her face and sank back down on the bed. “Please let him and everyone else be alright. Please don't let anyone be dead. I won't be able to bear it.”
 
“Good. You're awake.”
 
Her head snapped up in shock at the intruder. She swore silently at herself for being so lost in her thoughts that she hadn't heard the anyone enter the room. “Who are you? Where is Taichi, the guy that was dragged here with me? What did you do with him?”
 
The tall darkly clothed man chuckled he smoothed a hand decorated with copper rings over the sleeve of his deep indigo duster. “I believe that is of no matter to you. Prisoners do not have the luxury of knowledge. Especially those that I intend to have working for me.”
 
“Working for you? And what gave you the bright idea that I'd agree to that?”
 
“I expected you to have a little more intelligence than to ask such a question. You are female and therefore would be prime for a mistress willing or not.”
 
Mimi's stomach turned at the smug words. She stepped backwards unconsciously folded her arms, covering her bare midriff. She knew she had no other option and wished that it was untrue. That she could snap her fingers and discover that it was all a dream that everyone was safe and sound in Japan. “All right. Since you put it that way… what do you want me to do?”
 
He chuckled and lifted her head with one finger under her chin. “Patience, my pet. You will soon find out. But until then, shall we find you a nicer room, perhaps?”
 
Mimi drew back as two guards appeared in the room. Her eyes widened in fear as they headed in her direction.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Copper walls were the first thing that Taichi noticed when he awoke. He rubbed his face and blinked at them several times. He had a bad feeling that he wasn't in the most pleasant place at the moment. Maybe if I make no sudden moves and close my eyes, they'll think I'm still sleeping and I'll be left alone.
 
“I know you're awake. It's safe to open your eyes,” a saccharine-sweet voice murmured from above.
 
Taichi inwardly groaned and sat up as he rubbed the back of his head. He shifted uncomfortably at the sight of a woman with waves of golden blonde hair and bright blue eyes. Something about her was familiar yet not. “Um, who are you and where am I?”
 
“I am Xlar, and you are in my keeping,” she laughed as she wound a lock of hair around her finger. “Don't worry. You are safe here with me.”
 
There is definitely something not right with you, lady and I don't think I want to find out. He stood up and beamed at her. “Great! So uh, I'm guessing you wouldn't mind if I take a raincheck on the hospitality and say thank you then head on my way-”
 
“Not so fast. Sit down, Yagami or you'll have to taste my wrath.” Xlar hissed as she pointed a long finger in his direction.
 
Taichi's blood ran cold as he tripped and fell backwards. Suddenly the pretty lady got really ugly really fast. He hated it when he was right.
 
*~*~*~*
 
“Ow… what the hell?”
 
“Shina! You're awake!” Ami pounced down at her sister's side, tears dripped from her chin onto Shina's nose who turned away upon contact.
 
“Hey! Knock it off!”
 
“Sorry.” Ami backed away and glowered at the gray toned walls of their cell. It was a windowless room with a black metal framed bunk bed and what looked like a steel door. It was very lifeless and intimidating.
 
Shina frowned as she sat up and realized that the others were not with them. “Where are Akina and the guys?”
 
Ami's chin quivered as she started to cry again.
 
“Whoa, whoa… no more waterworks. Pull yourself together, Ami and tell me what happened.”
 
“I don't know too much. You were knocked out as well as Wallace and Iori. We were separated from them and Akina and dumped in here. I'm sorry. I guess I was pretty useless but I was scared.”
 
Shina smiled gently at her. “At least you're okay. Aside from the pounding in my skull, I'll probably be okay too, so don't worry about me.”
 
“But what about Akina? Why isn't she locked in here too?”
 
“I don't know, Ami. I don't know.”
 
*~*~*~*
 
Wallace swore as he lifted his head only to discover that he had been imprisoned in some sort of cell. He rubbed the back of his head tenderly. “Damn it.”
 
“My sentiments exactly,” Iori was sitting against the wall with his legs folded in a mediation stance. “We've been separated which is usually never a positive thing.”
 
“Were you conked on the head too?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
Wallace walked over to Iori and plopped down by his side with his knees slightly drawn to his chest in a relaxed position. He dropped his hands on his knees and leaned back. “So… how are we gonna get out of this mess?”
 
“I have no idea.”
 
“Think the others are okay?”
 
Iori frowned. “I can't answer that. This place is… strange. It's not as I imagined it. There's something odd going on outside of the “Ice Princess” curse that somehow was placed on Akina. I think I want to go back to that cave but in order to do so we have to get out of here first.”
 
“The cave? Wallace scowled at the young Kendo master and scratched his head. “What's so special about the cave? I mean outside of the fact that we could have been killed by it.”
 
“Akina wasn't cursed until we came upon that cave. I think that's our best option to find some answers.”
 
“Answers? Aren't we supposed to be looking for the digimon? I mean yeah, we need to figure out how to uncurse Akina because it wouldn't exactly be great if she turns into an ice statue that isn't even cold but still…. I haven't seen one digimon since I got here.”
 
“We may find more answers concerning that as well. But first we have to find a way out of here.”
 
Wallace folded his arms behind his head and stretched out his legs. “Easier said than done, dude. Guess we have nothing better to do right now than start plotting.”
 
The two Chosen fell silent as their minds began to race around their limited options and how to better correct their bad situation.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Author's Notes: This chapter was a rather big pain in the butt. Nothing wanted to cooperate. Every time I got something moving, I had to hit the brakes because something else got stuck. I'm hoping the rest of this series is not going to be like walking on flypaper.
 
I know, that certain sections of this chapter are a lot shorter than others and I kind of keep you in the dark concerning certain characters. Ken's scene ran way longer than I expected. But we'll probably see the others in the next chapter.
 
If you haven't already checked it out, I have a website for my original work (it's actually a collaboration but I'm the one playing webmistress). The link is found on my profile. Come the end of November/beginning of December it's going to have a complete overhaul. We are really excited about it. I'll at least have an announcement concerning that in my profile when the time comes. We've been shooting to update every other week, usually on Sunday. Next update will be next weekend.
 
Thank you for reading and until then.