Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Diminished Light: Chosens' Quest ❯ Friendship's Value ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Diminished Light: Chosens' Quest
Chapter 10
Friendship's Value
By
Sailor Janus
 
 
For the first time since they had arrived in the small rural town, Daisuke felt at peace. He and Hikari had made up, they had potential allies, and for once it didn't seem like a big bad was going to sneak up on them and yank the rug from under their feet.
 
He squeezed Hikari's hand and winked at her.
 
“What's that all about, Dai?” She giggled at his gesture.
 
“What?”
 
“You're acting goofy.”
 
He shrugged, grinning up at the darkening sky. “Maybe I was wrong. Maybe this place isn't so bad after all. I mean everyone is so friendly. They even gave us some free food and water for helping Ryverton and his men.”
 
“Well, they were really grateful.” Hikari gazed down at a trio of children playing happily before their mother called them inside. “Sometimes I wonder what things would be like if we were normal; not Chosen.”
 
“We're not that different from other people. What?” He frowned at her as she paused with a soft almost forlorn sounding sigh. His eyes widened as realization slapped him in the face. “Oh Hikari, I didn't mean… but I'm not saying… Damn it.”
 
“Daisuke… It's okay.” She clasped his hand between both of hers in reassurance. “I'm fine with it.”
 
“I just don't want you to feel like I'm trying to push you away again. I was such an ass before you left with your family for Osaka.” He froze as though a sudden thought occurred to him. He whipped out the D-Quad and pressed madly at the buttons.
 
Hikari stared at her boyfriend in confusion not understanding what had gotten him so excited. “What is it?”
 
“Holy shit! If the date on this thing is right, you haven't moved yet.”
 
She smiled sadly. “But that doesn't mean when we return that we won't be packing things up.”
 
“Oh yeah.” Daisuke tucked the digivice away and shoved his hands in his pockets. “I guess we'll have to make the most of it then. Hopefully history won't repeat itself. Either way, I'm going to make a better effort to keep in touch anyway I can. Even if I have to tackle Taichi and force him to tell me where you and your parents moved to.”
 
Hikari laughed bitterly as tears leaked from her eyes. She rubbed at them, embarrassed. “I don't want to cry. There is no need to. After all, there is no telling how long it may take to find the digimon.”
 
Daisuke opened his mouth to reply when Hikari's face paled as she screamed in alarm. He spun around defensively only to find himself thrown backwards to the ground. Several people yelled around him and the clanking of metal rang in his ears.
 
“Let go of me!” Hikari struggled as two men held her by the arms. “What is the meaning of this? We haven't done anything wrong!”
 
“By decree of His Majesty, any unsullied woman of Light is to be brought before him as a potential queen.” One of the guards announced gruffly. “You, my lady, qualify.”
 
“What! That's ridiculous!” Daisuke spat, and wiped the blood from his lip. “Where is your proof, you assholes? Hell, even if you had it, do you really think I'll let you get away with this?”
 
Another guard sent his fist into the googleheaded leader as two others pinned his arms back. Hikari struggled against the two men as Daisuke tried to ignore the pain caused by his own. The two Chosen froze as a familiar looking charm was thrust in their faces.
 
“It can't be,” Daisuke gasped as a million questions ran through his head.
 
Hikari stared at it in disbelief as she grew pale. She lowered her head in defeat. “Fine. You have your proof, just please don't harm Daisuke anymore. Leave him be. Please.”
 
Daisuke shook his head against Hikari's wishes. He saw her mouth the words `I love you.' Then everything went black.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Takeru had never run so fast before in his life. He and Catherine were just about to set up the final arrangements with the inn when Jyou came charging at him rambling about some warning he had received on the D-Quad. They all hoped it was nothing, but the fact that they had not seen Hikari or Daisuke recently had all three of them very worried.
 
“I hope we find them soon. I don't think I can run much longer,” Catherine panted, her hand clasped tightly in his.
 
“Just a bit longer. They have to be around here somewhere.” Unless….
 
Jyou shoved his glasses further up the bridge of his nose then came to a halt. “Wait, did you hear that?”
 
“What? No!” Takeru swore as he heard Hikari scream. “Shit, we're too late!”
 
They sprinted down an alley, past a shopping plaza, around a group of people and finally they caught sight of a crumpled figure on the ground a short few feet away.
 
“Daisuke!” Jyou raced toward the fallen teen as his companions trailed behind. “Wake up!”
 
“He's not…” Catherine bit her lip as Jyou shook Daisuke's shoulder gently.
 
“No, he's alive. Just got the crap beat out of him.” He winced at the bruising around the leader's jaw.
 
Takeru's stomach turned uneasy. “Where's Hikari?”
 
“Gone,” Daisuke whizzed out. He coughed several times and rolled to his side, drawing several sharp breaths. Pain was etched on his face as he squeezed his eyes shut.
 
“What do you mean gone? What happened?” Takeru knelt down and touched his friend's shoulder.
 
“Bastards took her!”
 
“What!”
 
Daisuke pushed himself up. “I'm going to kill them and their so called King or whatever the hell His Majesty is. The asshole ordered any woman of unsullied light to be brought to him as a potential bride. Over my dead body.”
 
Catherine gasped, gripping Takeru's arm. “How awful!”
 
Her boyfriend however narrowed his eyes at the soccer player. “What are you leaving out?”
 
Daisuke grinned darkly. “They had the Crest of Light. Hikari's original crest, which means they have been solely targeting her all along.”
 
*~*~*~*
 
Yamato squinted in the darkness of the underground tunnel. He glanced back at the lavender haired woman, her arm still held tightly in his grasp as she trailed behind him. He knew she was worried about Ken. Hell, he was worried about the guy. Unfortunately there was nothing he could do. He promised to protect Miyako and the only way he knew to efficiently do so was to get her to safety.
 
“I wonder if this place has an exit.” He sighed when he did not receive a response. “I'm sure he'll be fine.”
 
Miyako's eyes remained focused on her boots. “I don't know.”
 
“Miyako.” He stopped and looked into her dull eyes. He understood her pain; felt the same exact thing for his fiancée. He didn't know if she was someplace safe or even still breathing. All he had to focus on was hope and that his friends would protect her to the best of their ability. “I know what you are feeling but you have to keep going.”
 
“I don't know if I can. I am so tired. Tired of running. Tired of fearing what's around the other corner. I know I have strength- am the damn representation of it, but sometimes… it hurts to use it.” Her words were bitter, her face even more grim in the little light they had. “I want to find the digimon, I really do, but I don't think I want to sacrifice Ken in order to do so.”
 
She had a point Yamato realized. He would probably say the same thing if he were in her shoes and Sora had given herself up to save his neck. A part of him, however argued with that feeling, stating that the digimon were just as important. When it came down to it, he couldn't sacrifice either. “It's not going to come to that. We're going to find a way to get his ass back if it's the last thing we do. Ken, the other Chosen, and the digimon; no one will be left behind.”
 
“I hope you're right. I already lost Hawkmon. I don't want to lose Ken too.”
 
“You haven't lost Hawkmon. We'll get them back.” Yamato gritted his teeth growing angrier with himself. Had they really abandoned the digimon? Was this all their fault for being so selfish? He would make amends with Gabumon if it was the last thing he did.
 
“Uh oh. Got to hide.”
 
The two Chosen Children came to a halt. “Did you hear something?” Miyako frowned at Yamato. “Was that a digimon? Hello? It's okay. We weren't hurt you. We're Chosen Children.”
 
“Chosen Children!” The little voice echoed excitedly.
 
“I think it really is a digimon!” Miyako knelt peering into the murky water on the far side of the tunnel. “Come out. You're safe. At least at the moment.”
 
A little pink mouse-like head popped out of the darkness. “Yamato! Miyako!” The Chuumon cheered surfacing from the murky water. It leaped up on the ledge then bounced into the blonde's unexpected arms. “It's scary here. I want to go home.”
 
“Poor thing.” Miyako ground her hands into fists. This place is really pissing me off.”
 
“It's okay, Chuumon. You're safe now. What has been happening here?”
 
“Humans keep hunting us down. We've been good digimon. We wouldn't hurt them. Why do they want to hurt us?”
 
Yamato narrowed his eyes at the innocent question as Chuumon jumped from his arms to Miyako's. “I don't know. There's something strange about this place.”
 
“Want to go home!”
 
“We know, Chuumon. We all want to save everyone then go home too,” Miyako said in agreement.
 
Yamato nodded as they began walking further down the tunnel. Just then the ground gave way beneath them and they found themselves falling. Miyako grabbed for him with one hand, her other arm wrapped tightly around Chuumon as a bright light surrounded Yamato. A glowing spear appeared in his hand. Without thinking he stabbed the point into the side of the wall then grabbed Miyako's waist with the other arm before they could plummet to their deaths.
 
She released a breath, hugging Chuumon tightly to her. “Damn, that was close.”
 
Chuumon wiggled out of her grasp and jumped onto the spear. “Yamato saved the day!”
 
With one arm, Yamato pulled Miyako up high enough to reach the spear. She grunted, angling herself up and on the spear. “No kidding.” She drew another breath as Chuumon hopped onto her shoulder and climbed out of the hole.
 
As she turned to help Yamato up, he had dislodging the spear from the wall as he flipped himself up. The spear dissipated from his hands. “I feel weird.”
 
“And you have a tannish glow around you. Did I do something like that?”
 
“I can't remember but I'm suddenly really tired.” He mumbled before passing out.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Brown eyes fluttered open. Mimi groaned as brushed her hands over her face. Her head was pounding and a sick sensation stirred in her stomach. “Where am I? What happened?”
 
She sat up on the plush bed then froze. A red haze surrounded her in deep bloody shades of crimson. She glanced down at herself, gapping the scarlet corseted gown which seemed to really push her breasts to new heights. The skirt was in choppy layers of crimson, black and gold. Thick bands of gold encircled her upper arms in snake-like coils.
 
Mimi tucked her slipped clad feet under as her foggy mind struggled to take in everything. A bad feeling was creeping up her spine.
 
She pushed back the gauzy curtains encircling the bed then nearly fell over as her eyes drifted to the mirror directly in front of her. She barely recognized herself with all the layers of what had to be makeup piled on her face. Her eyes looked wider, lips redder. Her brunette locks fell around her shoulders in thick waves that looked sexily tousled.
 
“Oh crap.” Mimi muttered touching the golden choker wrapped around her neck above her crest. She may not have been in a jail cell, but she didn't like the situation she was in any better. “There is no way I'm going to be some sicko's plaything. I've got to get out of here!”
 
She bolted from the bed and raced to a window. It had thick bars sealing her inside. She blew out a sigh and turned to the single door in the room. She would have to find something to use for a weapon first.
 
Turning back to the room Mimi looked at the large vanity, the four poster bed, a small table and chair as well as a changing screen. Another thought came to mind. Where were her clothes? She much preferred them over the Mistress Mimi outfit. Just the thought of the title made her skin crawl.
 
She grimaced at the corset then snatched a sheer robe from the chair pulling it on. She tied it closed as she wandered around the room. What could she use for a weapon? Just as she was about to give up hope, her brown eyes fell upon a tall heavy looking candle stand. “I think that might be my ticket out of here.”
 
With the ornate stand in hand she crept to the door and tried the handle. Locked. Tucking the stand behind her, hidden from anyone who happened to open the door's sight, she knocked. “Hello? Is there anyone there? I'm kind of hungry. Can I please have some food or water? Hello?”
 
“Quit your whining,” growled a deep voice from the other side.
 
“Excuse me, I didn't quite catch that. Hello? I am really really hungry. Can I please have some food and something to drink? Hello? Pretty please?” Hello? I would like some food…” Mimi continued asking, making her voice louder and shriller each time she asked.
 
“All right already!” The door swung open swiftly, nearly smacking her in the face. She gave him her most sincere smile before clocking him in head with the candle stand. The guard only staggered so she hit him in the chest, followed by the groin and ended with the head again. That was enough to take him out and allow her to make a grand escape. “Sorry,” she murmured before taking off down the hall.
 
Her heart thundered in her chest as she crept down another vacant corridor. She had no idea where she was going. If only there was a map like what they had in the malls in America she wouldn't be in such a bind.
 
Rounding another corner, she held her breath then nearly screamed as a hand clapped over her mouth.
 
“Shh, Mimi it's me,” Taichi whispered in her ear, narrowly avoiding being elbowed in the face in defense. She relaxed in his grasp. He released her then backed away, allowing her to look at him.
 
“Taichi… what the hell are you wearing? You look like some sort of Arabian male model.” She wrinkled her nose at the shimmering red silk vest that brushed against his knees which was barely tied closed with a black scarf and matched his silky pants. Both of which were outlined in gold. Wrapped around his upper arms were thick gold cuffs similar to her own.
 
“Look who's talking. You look like you ran away from a brothel,” he snorted crossing his arms over his chest.
 
Mimi with her eyes narrowed yanked her robe that fell partly open, closed again. “I want my clothes back.”
 
“Tell me something I didn't know. Where are the others and how do we get out of here?”
 
“I don't know. I didn't think about them being taken, but I guess that's possible.” She wrapped her arms around her stomach and groaned. “I don't feel so good. I want out of here!”
 
“You and me both.” Taichi groaned, rubbing at his hair, making the spikes even more unruly. “This has really become a pain in the ass. What the hell are we supposed to do now?”
 
“Finding our clothes would be a great start,” Mimi grumbled, then sighed as her companion scowled at her. “Fine. We need to either find our friends if they are here or a way out. If we come across our clothes along the way; bonus.”
 
*~*~*~*
 
“I want to go home.” Ami whined with her knees drawn to her chest. She rocked herself, trying to ignore the fact that the room she and her older sister were held captive in was so small. She hated enclosed spaces.
 
“We have to get out of here first. Stop doing that! You're going to make me motion sick,” Shina snapped.
 
“Sorry.” She leaned against the wall with her eyes closed. “I hope Akina and Tani are okay. The others too. I don't know all of the other Chosen, but they seemed nice.”
 
“Yeah,” The Chosen of Darkness winced in guilt. She was still surprised that despite all the horrible things she had done, she was still accepted. It was the last thing she expected.
 
Grinding her teeth together she stood up and examined the room. Solid walls and door, no window, escape looked rather bleak. The only possible solution was to overpower a guard. However in order to do that, one would have to come into the room. So far, she hadn't seen anyone. Their only hope seemed to be either the guys or Akina saving their butts. With a sigh she dropped down next to her sister and stared at the door.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Wallace paced the room like some sort of anxious animal. He raked his mind with escape possibilities, but so far hadn't come up with anything good. Oh! How about Star Wars? You have seen it right? The movie? You know, Darth Vader, Luke, Han Solo, Leia, Chewie-”
 
Iori narrowed his eyes. “I live in Japan, not Pluto. Yes, I have seen it. However, I don't understand what you are suggesting.”
 
“The scene when they try to rescue Princess Leia in the original. They attacked and stole some armor from the Storm Troopers. We could do that, while blending in which will make it easier to find the others. Plus, they probably haven't seen the movies so they wouldn't even expect it!”
 
“We have to have an encounter with a guard first in order to make it work. So far, no one has even checked on us.”
 
Wallace grumbled. “Right. They haven't even given us any food yet. Don't they know that they're supposed to feed their captives and check on them? Were they trained by wolves or something?”
 
“They don't have to do anything. This is their world. They more than likely have their own rules.”
 
“How am I supposed to be Han Solo and rescue the stubborn princess?”
 
“Han Solo? Are you trying to suggest that I'm Chewbacca?”
 
Wallace snorted. “Of course not. You're Luke.”
 
“Luke?”
 
“Yeah, you kind of already have the Jedi thing going... maybe a cross between Obi Wan and Luke with a bit of Yoda.”
 
“I think that's going a bit too far,” Iori raised an eyebrow at the American. “You're bored aren't you.”
 
“Hell yeah. I can't even carve my initials in the wall!”
 
“Keep thinking. Something should fall in our favor. Hopefully soon.”
 
“Use the Force, Luke.”
 
“Stop it.”
 
Wallace smirked. “Whatever you say, Iori Skywalker.”
 
*~*~*~*
Author's Notes: After I got through the first group, everything got stuck so it's been hard get through this chapter. I actually had to skip pieces and come back to them because they wouldn't move.
 
Despite a bad case of writer's block due to a major change in my life I seem to be back on track again. Today my website is also being updated as well.
 
Biggest problem outside of life changes has been juggling. I'm working on completing my first novel which I hope to have completed before October as well as trying to write short stories to submit to various places for publishing credits.
 
I do still intend to finish this as well as my other fanfictions, but I still have other obligations unlike when I first started writing fanfictions. Please visit my website for more information regarding that, www.trinitygateways.net.
I'll also be cleaning up and posting this fanfiction series as well as a few others on the site. Although, I'll still be doing updates here as well.
 
I hope you enjoyed the newest addition.
 
*~*~*~*
SJ