Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dinner With Izzy ❯ Dinner With Izzy ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Just a little something I whipped up for fun. I don't suppose many people actually support Kari x Izzy, but remember: It's in the humor section for a reason...

Disclaimer: If I owned Digimon, I would never have committed such hair felony on Mimi during that brief time in season 2. You know what I'm talking about.

~Dinner With Izzy~

The directions were quite confusing. Take a right on some street she had never heard of, drive through a narrow back alley, make a sharp left, followed by two rights and another alley tour, and park in a small lot to the side of the seemingly unmarked door that claimed to belong to a restaurant.

Kari triple-checked the locks on the car and clutched the purse at her side, peering skeptically into the window as she neared the door. Carpeting muffled the small clicks of the shoes she had worried herself over enough to make the normally-prompt Kari three minutes late for her dinner arrangement.

"I'm sure Izzy won't notice," she told herself quietly, smoothing the nonexistent folds in her skirt. "...Hmph. Idiot," she muttered, swatting her own hand away. "This is Izzy we're talking about. Don't lead him on."

But of course, the skirt was a new purchase from her recent shopping excursion with Mimi and her flamboyantly homosexual brother. And it did deserve to be worn out.

Taking in the scenery, Kari was actually quite impressed with the decor of the hidden wonder in the middle of nowhere. Sparsely populated, the restaurant appeared to boast a subtle French theme. And, Izzy had added when Kari showed only minimal interest, they made a mean platter of French toast. Kari could not quite tell if he was being serious or not.

Izzy. The call several days earlier had thrown Kari. Although the ex-digidestined frequently did things together as a group, very rarely did Kari ever spend much time alone with anyone besides Yolei or TK. In fact, when it specifically came to Izzy, she could not really recall anything that had involved just the two of them, save their brief trip to China. But that was strictly business.

"I've been thinking about something for awhile now and...I really need to talk to you," he had said over the phone. After listening to his request to meet for dinner at a relatively fancy, if secluded, restaurant, she suspected immediately what the topic of conversation was to be for the night.

Having rejected many the romantic request from the digidestined bachelors, Kari hesitated to add Izzy to the already-too-long list of names. However, she had never had a problem with Izzy's company, and therefore, decided to at least hear his plea.

"You're three minutes and 47 seconds late, Miss Kamiya," he remarked as he pulled out her chair for her. "I took the liberty of ordering us some wine."

Kari smoothed her skirt over her lap, noticing a dress shirt in a most stunning shade of deep green that she had never seen on the young man before. "What kind?" she asked casually, pretending that the green didn't bring out the matching tone in his eyes that usually evaded detection.

Izzy shrugged. "I let the waiter pick. I don't drink wine."

Kari folded her hands in her lap politely and cleared her throat. Better to get it over and done with than to let the night drag on with tension. "So, Izzy," she began slowly. "Now that you have me here, do plan on sharing the reason you asked me to come?"

Poor Izzy. She didn't want to have to hurt him before they even ate, but it would be better this way. Then they could eat as friends and just enjoy each other's company without the inevitable question looming over both their heads.

"What? Oh..." Izzy gave a small smile and opened a menu. "Let's talk about it after we eat. I don't know about you, but I skipped lunch. Not on purpose of course," he assured her. "But when you spend all day hack...er...I mean...computer programming, you sometimes forget to eat."

"Computer programming. Of course." Kari took a sip of water. "Izzy, we are all aware of your infamous pastime. It has almost gotten you arrested more than once."

"Nine times actually." He caught the eye of the waiter. "But let us talk less of this and more of dinner."

Kari flipped through her menu a final time and hastily decided on what seemed to be ridiculously overpriced fillet mignon. Perhaps Izzy would be paying.

"Hmm..." Izzy folded his menu up, handed it to the waiter, and proceeded to order something very elaborate that Kari would dare not try to pronounce.

"Excellent choix, Monsieur." The waiter bowed.

Well, if Izzy could speak French, that put him way ahead of the running already. Kari smiled at him across the table and sipped her wine. Perhaps it was not that farfetched for the two of them to date. After all, it wasn't as if they barely knew each other. And no one could say that Izzy wasn't interesting company. In fact, he was the only one besides Ken with whom Kari could carry on an adequate conversation about the great Irish writers of the twentieth century. And she did not like bringing up that topic with Ken anymore anyway due to his unjust and unsubstantiated bias against James Joyce.

"You are not limited to Japanese I see." Kari smiled, fleetingly wondering how pretty her name would sound filtered through Izzy's near-flawless accent.

"Eh..." He waved his hand dismissively. "Just something I've picked up here and there. Might I add that you look quite lovely in that skirt. Is it new?"

Kari giggled, despite herself. "Tai helped pick it out."

"Hmm, go fig-"

"Do you know other languages? You've never shown any of us."

Izzy shrugged, placing his napkin in his lap as the waiter came around with an appetizer. "You know. French, Italian, German, Spanish, Aramaic, Chinese... You know, the ones everyone knows."

Kari dropped her fork. "...Yes. Of course."

"Oh, let me get that for you." Izzy dusted it off and switched it with his own. "Here you are."

So polite and considerate too, Kari thought to herself. So far the night was going much better than her most recent cave-in, an ill-fated "date" with Davis to his favorite ramen cart. In fact, she could almost imagine herself dining out with Izzy a second time, perhaps as more than just close acquaintances...

"Your dinner, Mademoiselle. Monsieur." The waiter brandished two trays and set the plate on the table in front of them.

"Thank you," replied Izzy, picking his salad fork up off the table.

"You know, Izzy," Kari began as she nibbled on her fillet mignon. "At first I wasn't quite sure what to expect from dinner alone with you. But I must say, it has been quite nice. Thank you for asking me to spend it with you."

Izzy lowered his eyes and offered an embarrassed grin. "Well, you deserve a nice meal after all that ramen." He chuckled and continued to eat. "I've been enjoying myself too."

The way his bangs fell over his eyes when he lowered his head added a hint of boyish cuteness that had not completely disappeared after reaching young adulthood. How come she had never noticed before?

"Uh, Kari? Your elbow is a centimeter away from a terrible run-in with your mashed potatoes."

Kari jerked her arm up off the table. "Oh! How embarrassing..." she laughed nervously.

"Don't worry. It doesn't lower my opinion of you," Izzy assured her as he took a gulp of water. "You are related to Tai after all. It's expected."

"So Izzy..." Kari began, noticing the perfect redness of his lips against her will. "Are you planning on revealing why you asked me here any time soon?" She lowered her voice to a subtle purr. "Though you make it sort of obvious..."

"Do I?" Izzy shook his head and grinned. "I guess you know me too well."

Kari crossed her legs under the table and leaned in closer.

"Well, I...I've been thinking about you a lot in the last few weeks."

"Oh..."

"And I've come up with a theory that I thought you might like to hear about first, as it directly involves you."

Her fork fell on the floor again.

"A...theory."

"Yes," Izzy began, his eyes brightening a few shades in excitement. "You see, Ken and I were chatting online one afternoon, and we both discovered that his infamous trial at sin was, in part, due to his overwhelming jealousy towards Sam, but that, in the greater scheme of things, it was more the fault of an e-mail that was sent to him by one Yukio Oikawa. And of course, then I came to the realization that Oikawa never would have sent him that e-mail in the first place had he not been possessed by the vengeful spirit of Myotismon, who was more than a little pissed after we annihilated him in the real world. But then, the only reason he came to the real world to begin with was to look for you, as you were too under the weather to join us in our initial journey to the Digital World. So you see, had it not been for you, Myotismon could have returned to the Primary Village like a good little piece of data, Oikawa could have gotten over his grief in the peace and quiet of his own solitude, as opposed to being dead, our good friends Arukenimon and Mummymon, not to mention Blackwargreymon, would never have existed to wreak havoc upon this world and the Digital World alike, and Ken would not have exhausted every psychologist in three of the four islands of Japan. I just thought it was an amazing discovery. I mean, think of all that you are responsible for. It boggles the mind."

Kari stood up. "Yes. Yes it does. Thank you for the goddamned dinner, Izzy," she muttered and walked stiffly out the door without even bothering to smooth the seat of her skirt.

The End