Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Distortion ❯ Why Can't I Remember? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

( ^.^ Second chapter. Uh... no notes this time. ^^; That's a GOOD thing, right? 'Cause no one wants to hear me rant, right? ::crickets chirp:: Uh... right. ANYWAY!! Read. ^^; ::blinks:: No - wait. There ARE some! BWA HA HA HA HA!! I had to raise the rating some, for some swearing from a pissed Koushirou and some Taishirou hints. -.- Look, I HONESTLY couldn't help it! ^.^ Okay, NOW you can read. )

~

Why can't I remember?

"Shit."

Yagami Taichi glanced up from his bed, where he had been spread out, playing a game on his D-terminal. "Uh... something wrong?"

Izumi Koushirou whirled around in the computer chair and glared at him. "Yeah, something's wrong. I'm pissed, that's what."

Taichi raised an eyebrow. "Any real reason?"

Koushirou was silent for a moment, spinning back around to look at the screen again. Then, he stood up abruptly, eyes blazing, and stomped over to sit on the edge of Taichi's bed. "DAMN! Why the hell are these stupid college tests so HARD? I thought computer programming would be easier for me..."

Taichi smirked at him, and sat up. "Why with all profanity? It's unlike you..."

Koushirou shot him a glare of death, and drew his knees to his chest. "Shut up. I'm pissed off."

"I realized." Taichi threw a pillow at him. "It's your fault, you realize, for skipping 10th grade. If you hadn't, you'd just be studying for your final high school exams..."

"Like that's any better." Koushirou flopped back. "Remember when we could actually RELAX on Friday nights?"

"I still can," Taichi said innocently. "If you didn't try to get perfect grades in everything, you probably would, too."

"Oh, leave me alone," Koushirou mumbled, turning over. "Some best friend you are."

Taichi frowned, realizing he could possibly be serious. He crawled over to sit next to his friend, and leaned over to whisper in his ear. "Just be glad we're actually in the same college, Koushirou. Wouldn't it suck if no one was here with you...?"

Koushirou shivered. "Don't do that, Taichi-san."

Taichi frowned. "What?"

"Flirt with me."

Taichi stared at him. "Wha... I am NOT!"

Koushirou sighed. "Yes, you are. You do it quite a lot, actually." His face twisted. "It's..."

Taichi grinned. "Tempting?"

"Oh, SHUT UP." Koushirou sat up and leaned against the wall. "You're right, though. It's lucky we both ended up here..."

Taichi yawned. "Yeah... otherwise I'd probably be put in an apartment with some whiny little nerd."

"And I'd get a dumb jock."

They glared at each other, then burst out laughing.

"So," Koushirou said reflectively, "Have you heard from anyone back home lately?" The two of them had been accepted - though Taichi called it 'drafted' - into the same college, a rather small yet surprisingly good place in Osaka.

Taichi shrugged. "Well, I have been talking with Hikari lately, but -" His D-terminal beeped, signaling a message had come in, and Taichi blinked and looked at it. "Weird. That's Hikari right now..." He opened the e-mail, and Koushirou moved to get behind him, obviously hoping to read over his shoulder. Taichi glared at him, and pushed him back to where he was. "I don't think so, Koushirou. I'll tell you if anything obtains to YOU."

Koushirou smirked. "What, anything in there I shouldn't read?"

Taichi blushed, and hoped Koushirou couldn't see it in the dark room - the only light was the screen of the computer. "Maybe... now GO AWAY!"

Koushirou shrugged, and headed back over to the computer. "Okay, then. Every man to his own."

Taichi quickly read through the e-mail. Most of it was just updating he and Koushirou on what was happening in Odaiba... but the part at the end stuck out in his mind as unusual:

I have to go now - I'm getting tired, I think I'll go to bed. Iori was over today, too: he fell asleep a while ago and I did have the heart to wake him up. ^^ Anyway, oniichan, I'll talk to you later. Ja ne.

~ Hikari

Taichi scratched his head. "Ah, well, I guess that's kind of unusual. I didn't think they were that close."

"Who?"

Taichi shrugged, and shut off his D-terminal. "Hikari and Iori. Apparently he's over at our house..." His eyes crossed. "We have food at our house... Koushirou, do we have anything to eat?"

Koushirou twisted around to glare at him. "We would, if you would stop being so lazy and get a job..."

"It's not worth it," Taichi muttered. Koushirou rolled his eyes. "Then go beg someone else for something."

"Nah," Taichi said thoughtfully. "They'd probably spike it with something..."

"You're probably right." Koushirou turned around again, and frowned. "What the...? 'Your connection to the Internet has been terminated... have a nice day'."

"Why do they always say that?" Taichi wondered.

Koushirou whacked his head against the desk. "SHIT!!"

~

"AAAAH!!" Iori sat up in bed suddenly, breathing hard.

Where am I?

"The Yagamis," Iori mumbled to himself. "I'm at the Yagami's place..." He tried to regain his composure, telling himself that he was perfectly safe, but his heart was thumping impossibly loud inside his chest. He had had a dream, that much was obvious... but the thing was, he couldn't remember what it had been about. Or why he was so scared.

He had stayed with Hikari longer than he had originally planned to... long enough to have dinner, anyway. Shortly after which he must have fallen asleep on the couch. Iori wrapped his arms around himself, shivering. I haven't had such a bad dream since I was a little kid... why can't I remember anything?

The door to Hikari's room burst open, and the older teenager burst out, wearing a pink robe and slippers to match. "Iori-kun!" She arrived by his side, concern in her eyes. "What's the matter? Did you have a nightmare?"

Iori shook his head slowly. "I don't know... maybe."

Hikari's eyes widened. "Well, what was it about?"

Iori shrugged, trying to act as if it were no big deal. "I don't know. I can't remember anything..."

Hikari frowned. "You can't?"

"No. I was just scared when I woke up..." So much for 'no big deal'. He shivered again, and sunk into his sweatshirt. "Do you know what time it is?"

Hikari glanced at a glowing clock on the table by the couch. "2 A.M.?"

Iori smirked, feeling guilty. "You should have woken me up."

Hikari laughed, and shook her head. "No... I don't think I could have if I tried. You were out cold."

Iori bit his lip, embarrassed. "I must have eaten too much..."

Hikari shrugged, and smiled at him. "You sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine." Her concern touched him, but he needed to think...

"All right... Try to get some sleep, okay?"

"I will." He pulled the blanket over his head, not intending to sleep a wink.

~

BWA HA HA HA HA!!! I FINISHED THAT ONE IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS!!! ::silence:: ::scattered mutterings:: -.- Okay, so you don't care. Fine. I AM STILL IMMENSELY PROUD OF MYSELF. ^.^ It'll carry on like this for a while, getting more - well, distorted - in each chapter. ^^; It's pretty normal so far... and YES, Iori's creepy little dream has a significance! ^.^ That was obvious. Um. I SHALL END THIS HERE!!