Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Distortion ❯ Hate Is an Awfully Strong Word ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

[^_^ Fourth chapter! I didn't actually think I'd get this far with this thingy... it was just something I began writing when I was bored... I THINK IT MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE A PLOT!! WHEE!! Oh, and here are the ages of ALL the Chosen Children, whether or not they've actually showed up (yet), so as to avoid confusion. As I said, it's five years after Digimon Adventure 02, but that might still confuse people, soooo...

Taichi - 19

Yamato - 19

Koushirou - 18

Jou - 20

Mimi - 18

Sora - 19

Daisuke - 16

Miyako - 17

Iori - 13

Takeru - 16

Hikari - 16

Ken - 16

THERE YOU GO!! ^.^ Okay, that's enough notes... here's the fourth chapter.]

~

Hate is an awfully strong word.

"Will you hurry up?"

Daisuke glared at Takeru, and shoved a random amount of books into his backpack, then stood up and slammed his locker shut. "Why are you in such a hurry?"

Takeru rolled his eyes. "Oh, who cares, let's just go..."

Daisuke grinned, and slung his bag over his shoulder. "It's depressing, isn't it? Staying in school this long?"

"Shut up." Takeru grabbed his friend's wrist and stomped down the hall.

Daisuke laughed. "Why are you in such a bad mood?"

"Because of YOU," Takeru accused, glaring over his shoulder.

"Why me?"

"Because you're so damn cheerful! What happened to your whining?"

"What? Do you LIKE hearing me whine?"

"Well, I kind of get used to it!"

"... That was a cheap shot, Takeru."

"Well, I do!"

They bickered back and forth until they reached the door. Takeru pushed it forward, dragging Daisuke through with him. Once outside, Daisuke winced, and disengaged himself. "Ow... you've got a really strong grip, Takeru..."

Takeru, however, wasn't paying attention. He was staring off into the distance, frowning a little. "I think... is that Iori?"

Daisuke blinked, and followed Takeru's gaze. "Yeah..." His face hardened. "Who's that other kid?"

"I don't know..." Takeru frowned at Daisuke. "Don't even THINK about it. It looks like they're just talking."

"Yeah, I guess you're right..." Daisuke smirked. "Besides, that kid's pretty small. I doubt he could really do anything to hurt Iori..."

Takeru smiled. Maybe he's finally made a friend... "D'you want to come over to my apartment?"

Daisuke grimaced. "More studying?"

"NO!!"

"Oh. Okay, then."

~

"What did you want, Hida?" Yasuhiko asked quietly.

It was colder outside than it had been inside, with hints of rain. Yasuhiko leaned against the building, arms crossed over his chest. Iori stood in front of him, staring at the ground.

He'll laugh, he'll laugh and he'll tell everyone tomorrow, and I'll be hated even more; why did I listen to her? It was a good idea, but it'll never work; he'll laugh at me, and everyone will know...

Yasuhiko raised an eyebrow. "Well?"

"I... I just wanted to..." Iori began softly, still staring at his feet.

"Speak up," Yasuhiko said harshly.

"I just wanted to know why you hated me!" Iori snapped, looking up to glare at him.

There was a heavy, heavy silence; the tension grew thick in the air. Iori stared at the ground, watching a trail of ants that passed by his toes on the concrete. One of them fell into a small hole, and couldn't get out. None of the others noticed; they continued on their way. That single ant mattered to none of them.

"Hida."

Iori looked up. Yasuhiko's voice was neither angry nor ridiculing, but calm and carefully neutral. He had a faraway, thoughtful look on his face. "... Yeah?"

" 'Hate' is an awfully strong word." He straightened, and stuck his hands in his pockets. "Try not to use it so often." He walked past Iori, staring straight ahead, and didn't look at him again.

Iori watched him go, eyes wide, and wondered why he hadn't answered his question.

~

There was a loud knock at the door, causing Koushirou to groan and pull his pillow over his head. "Dammit... Taichi-san, go get that..."

Taichi, who was sitting on the floor nearby studying, looked up and raised his eyebrows at Koushirou. "Wasn't it you who was whining at me to study more?"

"Well, I'm the invalid!" Koushirou snapped, and rolled over.

There was another knock, sounding somehow more impatient, and Taichi got to his feet, rolling his eyes at Koushirou. "I'm coming, I'm coming..." He trudged over to the door and swung it open. "What do you wa- YAMATO?!"

"Hey, Taichi," Ishida Yamato said breezily, walking in. "How have you been? Where's Koushirou?"

"He's over there..." Taichi pointed over his shoulder. "Sick... Yamato, what the hell are you DOING here?"

Yamato winced. "Ah... I kind of need to stay with you guys for a few days. Maybe more."

Koushirou stumbled over, and grabbed Taichi's shoulder so he wouldn't fall over. "Hiding from your fans again, Yamato-san?"

Taichi rolled his eyes. "Should have known... why can't you stay with Jou, instead?"

"I already tried that. Too close to Odaiba," Yamato said flatly. "Too many people knew who I was." He smirked. "Jou was getting sick of me freeloading, so he kicked me out, and happened to mention that you two were in Osaka..." He shrugged. "So, here I am."

Taichi sighed heavily, and rubbed his forehead. "Great... how are we going to feed THREE people?"

Yamato smirked, and poked Taichi in the ribs. "What's the matter? Financial problems?" He blinked, and poked him again. "My God... are you anorexic, or something?"

Koushirou sighed. "Well... it's be hard, but you can stay, Yamato-san."

"On one condition," Taichi said firmly.

Yamato raised an eyebrow. "And this would be...?"

"You get a job," Taichi said simply. "We'll probably kick you out eventually, but you should at least help us out while you're here."

Yamato stared at him. "Have YOU got one?"

Taichi facefaulted. "... That's... different."

Yamato turned to Koushirou. "You?"

Koushirou sweatdropped. "Uhh... part-time..."

Yamato rolled his eyes. "Hopeless... No wonder you're starving..." He grinned, and shook his head slowly. "Well... since I'm living with you, I guess I could help you..."

"Good!" Taichi said brightly, then winced, and pried Koushirou's hand off of his shoulder. "Owww... that's going to bruise..."

"Shut up, Taichi-san," Koushirou said good-naturedly. "You can get Yamato-san settled, and everything. I'm going to crawl back into bed..." He walked back across the room and did just this, appearing to fall asleep instantly.

Yamato stared after him. "Is he all right...?"

"Oh, he's fine," Taichi said dismissively. "Like I said, he's sick. Now, do you want the closet or the floor?"

~

^.^ WHEENESS!!!! WE NOW HAVE THE RUGGED CAMPING MEN!!!! ^^ I LOVES WRITING RUGGED CAMPING MEN STUFF!!! ^_^ I don't think I've posted any of it on FFN, though... ::shrugs:: Ah, well. I'll end this now, before I start getting urges to type cool phrases in various languages over and over again. Listening to Beethoven does this to you. Especially techno remixes. ODE TO JOY RULES!!! ^^; Yeah. Ja ne!