Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Donkey Madness ❯ Trial of Radiance ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Warning: Major Ichijouji torture ahead. Be prepared for it -- it's not gonna be pretty.
Started: March 13, 2001
Finished: March 17, 2001 (WOO HOO!! Only four days!!)
------------------------------
Part 16:
Trial of Radiance

His head was swimming, and nearly drowning, in an ocean of pain and bewilderment as he finally came to.

. . . What happened?

It didn't take long for the memories to return at full force, causing his to sit up in horror. Through his splitting headache, he was able to remember each blow that Davis Motomiya that landed on his body. His chest complained with each tense breath, complimenting the fact that his head felt like it had been cracked open.

"Wake up, little emperor."

Ken Ichijouji started at the words, raising his unveiled eyes to stare at the speaker. Davis stared back coolly, arms crossed in such a manner that Ken got the feeling he had been unconscious for quite awhile. His gaze shifting from the goggle-wearing boy, Ken noticed they were in a totally different room from before. White walls were visible all around him, contrasting sharply with the room of darkness he had been in last.

"Welcome to your next test." Davis languidly removed a D-terminal from his bomber jacket, holding it for Ken to see. "I've taken it upon myself to remove the Digidestined of Love's Digimentals from your person. I'm sure you don't mind."

The Digimon Emperor winced and pushed himself to his feet, one hand falling on the sunglasses that hung around his neck. He didn't move to put them back on as he spoke. ". . . Davis . . . what are you doing?"

Davis replaced Yolei's D-terminal in his jacket and smirked. "I am Makusumon, little emperor. The Digidestined of Courage is under my control."

A poltergeist. . .?! Ken thought in terror. "Let him go."

"I don't think so." The smirk disappeared from Davis' face and he resumed the face of indifference. He snapped his fingers, and before Ken's eyes, the other Digidestined appeared. Each was sprawled on the floor, eyes shut in unconsciousness. Not one of them appeared injured, which was a miracle considering the events that had happened before. "Look over your friends, little emperor -- you can see that they are all here and accounted for."

Ken's fingers slowly curled into fists. ". . . Wormmon. Where's Wormmon?" he demanded sharply, trying to keep his voice level.

"Your digimon. . .? Ah, I almost forgot. . ." Makusumon smiled mirthlessly using Davis' lips, again snapping his gloved fingers and managing to produce sound. Wormmon appeared at the boy's feet, his ten little feet curled under him in his unconscious state. Ken was on his knees immediately, holding the little rookie in his arms and coaxing him back into the world.

Holding Wormmon in the crook of one arm, Ken staggered to the closest of the Digidestined -- which happened to be Yolei. He carefully took hold of her shoulder and shook her, unsure of what to do with so many people in need of his attention.

"Yolei? Yolei, you've gotta wake up. . . Yolei!"

As if summoned back to the land of the living by Ken's words, Yolei's eyes opened. It startled Ken that her eyes didn't pause to flutter, instead opening fully and remaining that way for a full moment before blinking once in a mechanic motion.

He was barely able to comprehend the sudden motion of Yolei's jerking her hand forward, her gloved fingers winding around his throat and choking him. In his shock, the Digimon Emperor dropped his partner and allowed hands to fly to his throat in an attempt to wrench the girl's hand away. He squirmed under Yolei's frightening, iron-like grip and let out a choked scream, yanking himself away from the lavender-haired girl and panting heavily.

What the hell--!?

Before his eyes, the rest of the Digidestined shifted and shambled to their feet. Ken grabbed Wormmon and scrambled away from them, unable to stop staring at their sightless, dead eyes. Even little Cody's normally-serious eyes were blank, green slates that projected nothing of the soul.

Trembling in rage and horror, Ken looked to the one other person in the room that was completely aware of what was happening.

"Makusumon, you--!!"

"This is your test, little emperor," the digimon said in Davis' voice. "Can you bear to fight your friends? Can you bear to watch your friends destroy you?"

Ken growled angrily. "You psychotic--"

The boy was unable to complete his thought, as T.K. lunged at him with a two-fisted swing. Ken feinted the attack, ducking under Yolei's own punch before backing off and nearly tripping over Cody, who had appeared behind him. Kari rushed the indigo-haired emperor as he was beginning to regain his footing, sending him tumbling head over heels and to the floor.

As tears of pain spiked the corners of Ken's eyes from cracking his head against the floor, the creature held to his chest shifted and opened his eyes groggily.

"Ken-chan. . .?" Wormmon lifted his blue-eyed gaze to his partner's violet eyes, barely registering the fact that they were finally a solid color again; Ken's fear shot rays of concern down the digimon's nerves. Turning his head to scrutinize the problem at hand, Wormmon gasped. "What's going on!?"

"Makusumon's controlling them," hissed Ken, rolling out of the way and Yolei prepared to step on him. As T.K. raised his foot to follow Yolei's lead, Ken grabbed his leg and sent him toppling to the ground.

"What do we do?" whispered the digimon, worriedly looking around as Ken sprang to his feet and proceeded to put space between him and the Digidestined.

Ken looked indecisive, running as Cody propelled himself at him and flinching at the younger boy crashed into the ground. I don't want to hurt them. . . They're hurting themselves right now, but. . . I-I-- . . . What's wrong with me?! I was never this hesitant before!

"Something wrong, little emperor?" sneered the possessed Digidestined of Courage and Friendship. He could see the strife in the boy's eyes easily.

Shaking his head, Ken used his free hand to push back his cape before dodging a punch from Kari. "Wormmon, disable them!"

Still clutched in the arms of his partner, Wormmon nodded in affirmation. "Sticky Net!"

The rookie's spray of threads wrapped around Kari, catching Yolei as she came forward. Another well-placed blast sent T.K. and Cody to the floor, struggling against their bonds. Ken glared furiously at Makusumon, spitting out his words. "I've stopped them. Let them go, now!"

"Oh, but did you really stop them?" chuckled the Game Lord, snapping his fingers once again. Immediately, T.K. broke free of Wormmon's Sticky Net and leapt to his feet, launching at Ken at a speed that was clearly inhuman. Ken screamed out as T.K.'s fist smashed into his stomach, knocking him backwards and to the ground. Wincing visibly, the violet-eyed boy rolled out of his fall and staggered to his feet as the blonde came at him again.

Yolei and Kari were also to their feet now, running up from behind T.K. to assist their possessed comrade. Ken gagged as T.K. grabbed his throat, his grip vice-like and taking his breath away. Wormmon was quick to react, shooting a Sticky Net into T.K. face and sending him reeling back and right into Yolei. The two went down promptly, Kari and Cody jumping the downed emperor together.

It was clear that Makusumon had somehow altered his friends' abilities; Ken was absolutely sure that Kari wouldn't be able to hold him down alone under normal circumstances. Cody pulled free his Golden Scepter, that dead look still in his eyes as he set up to strike. Ken tensed, staring at the boy's weapon fearfully as he prepared for the blow that he knew would come. And then. . .

"This is wrong."

Ken's eyes widened as he was suddenly sent flying to one side, his arms wrapping around Wormmon tightly as they tumbled across the room as one. Panting, Ken pushed himself to his aching feet and pulled back strands of indigo hair. His eyes were the brunette that had been pinning him down only a few minutes ago; she had thrown him out of harm's way at the last possible moment. Kari stood up, looking blankly at him as she spoke.

"This is wrong. It feels . . . wrong."

She's not completely gone! A spark of hope lit up inside of him at the thought registered. "Kari! Kari, snap out of it; you're being controlled! It's me, Ken!"

"Ken. . .? The Digimon Emperor is my-- our enemy. . ."

Ken cursed mentally. Makusumon's using that thought to drive them. They're fighting the Digimon Emperor-- me-- They know that I'm a threat. . . I guess I can't blame them too much for fighting. . .

The boy was caught off-guard as T.K. tackled him from behind, sending him sprawling to the ground. Wormmon was sent flying from Ken's grasp as he landed, a grunt escaping the emperor's lips as he gave in. His mouth opened in a silent scream as T.K. shoved his open palm into his shoulder hard, grabbing him roughly under the arms and holding him up as the other three Digidestined approached.

Oh, God, no. . .

Ken screamed as T.K. twisted both of his arms into painful angles, his pained shouting raising in volume as Cody hit him with the scepter he still held like a sword. Kari and Yolei also took turns hitting him, kicking at his shins and pounding into his stomach so many times that the boy had trouble breathing. There was no doubt in his mind that they were inflicting wounds that would lead to internal bleeding.

"How does it feel, little emperor?" ground out Makusumon, frowning as he approached and watched from a short distance away. "How does it feel to be beaten senseless by your closest friends who can no longer hear your cries? How does it feel to be put in the position you put digimon in every single day? How does it feel to be helpless against an enemy you can't beat alone!? Tell me! Tell me, Digimon Emperor, how does it feel?!"

The young emperor cried out as a particularly strong punch from Kari split his lower lip, blood mingling with sweat as the Digidestined continued to pound on him. "Ken-chan!!" shrieked Wormmon, hurrying to his partner's rescue as tears began to rise. "Ken-chan!!"

An agonized sob escaped Ken as every muscle in his body screeched in torment, his blood and sweat soon joined by rivers of tears. He couldn't help it anymore -- the pain was too great for him; he was at the edge of breaking bones and numbness, but neither were given to him. His breaths came in ragged gasps as he crumbled, his knees giving out under him and sending him to the ground. His aching fingers searched the depths of his cape as the Digidestined backed off a little, T.K. moving to grab him again and hoist him to his feet forcefully.

Ken pulled out an unscathed D-terminal and his black-tinted digivice, a short and pained breath passing his lips as he opened it up.

This is the pain of all the digimon that I ever enslaved. . . This is what I deserve, and I know it.

The one Digimental in the computer flared as it was accessed.

Wormmon . . . although I don't deserve it, please help me. . .

"I'm so sorry." His words were strangled as blood caught in his throat. Before he knew it, he'd be drowning in his own blood. "Everyone's going to be lost because of me. I'm so sorry. . ."

In the end, I failed everyone.

In the end, it's my fault.

Just like when Osamu died.

. . . . . Just like when Osamu died.

As he felt his life ebb away, Ken could distantly hear a voice shouting out.

"Wormmon armor digivolve to . . . Quatlmon, the radiant enigma!"

It was the last thing he heard.

- - - - -

"Ken! Hey, Ken!"

He blinked at the call, looking around in confusion. He recognized that voice . . . but it wasn't possible, was it? Turning swiftly, Ken found himself staring at a running figure that couldn't have possibly been there with him. . .

Osamu Ichijouji smiled broadly at his little brother -- who was now as tall as him -- and hugged him around the shoulders. "Boy, little bro, you've gotten so tall. . .!" He held him by the shoulders and backed off a bit to size him up. "All the girls must be swooning over you, huh?"

Ken swallowed hard repeatedly, unable to speak as his dead brother waited for him to do so. When he finally did, the beginnings of tears were noticeable at his eyes. "Osamu. . ."

The glasses-wearing Ichijouji hugged him again, allowing Ken to wrap his arms around him and hug back. "Hey, don't give me the waterworks; it's not fun having a sad reunion, is it?" Osamu broke the hug and looked carefully at his brother. "Ken, you're still crying. C'mon, I told you to stop already!"

"B-- but you're dead!" Ken stuttered, bowing his head and allowing his hair to veil his eyes. "Your dead and it's all my fault!"

Osamu looked confused. "Your fault? What're you talking about?"

"I wished you would disappear! I wanted you to disappear so that Mama and Papa would pay attention to me!" Ken gritted his teeth as angry tears escaped his eyes. "I was so selfish and I should've just been quiet and this would never happened if I didn't want to you vanish--"

The spiky-haired boy hushed his rambling brother. "That's not true, Ken -- how dare you think that! You don't deserve to have such a heavy burden on your shoulders; you've got a whole other world to protect!"

". . . Protect. . .?" Ken stiffened at the words.

Osamu nodded, smiling softly. "You think I died so you could be the emperor and end up losing all that gentleness I loved so much? No way! You're supposed to be with the Digidestined, helping them out! You never should've worried so much about my death; you had Wormmon back then, too."

Ken shivered in confusion. "I don't know what to do. . . How can I make it up? I've already done so much as the Digimon Emperor. . . I can't turn back now!"

"The road to redemption is only long when you do not turn back," the young genius declared, smirking proudly. "Ken, stop blaming yourself for everything; you have as much a right as anyone to have happy memories. If you keep blaming yourself for my death, I can ensure you that happy memories won't find you." He jokingly nudged at Ken's arm. "I've noticed you and that Digidestined of Love, little brother. . . How does it feel to have a crush?" Ken blushed hotly at those words, which triggered a cheerful laugh from the other boy. "Maybe you're already building yourself happy memories."

He remembered his and Yolei's spats in front of the other Digidestined and their indignant remarks. The younger boy looked at his hands silently, remembering the nights he had spent with Yolei in the tree. "How many times are you blithering idiots going to keep me waiting?"

"'Blithering idiots?' Well, excuse us for living, Ken!" "Good thing Cody found some edible fruit around here. We probably would've ended up starving!"

"Stop exaggerating, Ken! You're making me feel bad!" ". . . Can I ask a favor of you?"

"Of course."

"Can I . . . look at the stars from your tree before I sleep? . . . It's such a beautiful view."

Osamu smiled warmly. "Well, I think you should get going, Ken; you've still got things to do. You may have the Digimentals opened, but you're not finished yet. . ."

Ken blinked, shock making its way into his eyes. "We're not done yet? What can there be left?"

"I can't say. . . I really don't know." The child hugged his brother again, holding him tightly. "It was great to see you, Ken."

He suppressed the tears that were again coming. ". . . You too, 'samu."

"I love you. You know that, right?"

". . . I think I've always known. I love you too, 'samu."

- - - - -

"Ken!! Ken, are you all right!?"

The screams of concern were far away, from what he could hear. He groaned softly as he came to, his eyes opening only slightly. Every part of his body hurt, but he was still alive.

"Ken-chan? . . . Ken-chan?"

A large face peered down at him, a pair of blue eyes looking over him worried. Ken stared at the digimon, too tired to acknowledge verbally. He moved slightly and winced, causing the white-faced digimon to draw back and reposition itself. As it turned out, the young emperor had been enwrapped within the snake-like digimon's coils in a protective gesture, separating him from his assailants.

"He's awake," Ken heard the digimon report, the words echoing throughout the room and upsetting his head and mind.

There were gasps of relief from beyond. "That's great!" It was T.K.'s voice.

Yolei's voice was near-hysterical. "Is he okay?! Quatlmon, is he okay??"

". . . . I don't know," admitted Quatlmon. "He hasn't answered me yet." Before Ken's eyes, the large head moved close to him and nudged his shoulder. "Ken-chan? Please, say something; we're all worried. . ."

Ken blinked and tried to take a deep breath, groaning as his chest screamed in protest. He ended up coughing, leaning against Quatlmon's scaly body as he pulled into a fetal position. Quatlmon rumbled in his worry, slacking in his coiling and unwinding himself from around his partner.

And then the ground began to shake, causing the Digidestined to scream in confusion.

"What is that!?" demanded T.K., frowning as he looked around.

"Over there!" Cody shouted and pointed to where the flooring was beginning to break up. "Something's breaking into the room!"

Huge vines shooting out of the ground confirmed the suspicion that had been growing within the phantom beast digimon. Tendromon. Quickly taking flight on feathery wings, Quatlmon flew off to meet his enemy.

"Protect Ken-chan!" he called back to the Digidestined, knowing they would do so even without his words.

Yolei ran to the boy that Quatlmon had just left, falling to her knees as sobs wracked her body. "Ken? Ken, speak to me!" she cried, gently holding the badly-beaten boy.

"My God, did we actually do this. . .?" T.K. whispered, sinking to his knees next to Yolei. He couldn't help gaping at the blood that dripped from Ken's lips, knowing that his wounds underneath his suit would have to be very severe.

Kari came running to them, pulling her backpack off her shoulders and opening it up as she knelt as well. ". . . I think the Digimental of Light was able to heal the life-threatening damage," she murmured. "I'm not sure though; I never did get to talk to Joe about these things. . ." The Digidestined of Light pulled her prize from her pack, prying off the wooden cork she had made the night before. "Ken? Ken, c'mon, stay with us. . ."

T.K. looked off at the battle between Quatlmon and Tendromon. "Cody and Davis are cheering Quatlmon on," he murmured, wrenching his eyes away to rest on the Digimon Emperor. Yolei propped his head up as Kari held her Pearl Vase to his lips, allowing the boy to drink. "C'mon, Ken. . ."

"I can't believe he survived all of us beating on him," Kari whispered as she took the vase away. She wiped away tears that were coming to her eyes. "I-- I don't remember all too clearly, but I think I was aware for a few moments. . . He was in so much pain. . ."

". . . I think, in the end, he surrendered to everything that was coming at him," T.K. said, clutching at his knees as he watched the two girls. Yolei stroked Ken's sweaty brow as she listened. ". . . He just gave up and let Light take over."

Kari smiled sadly, placing the stopper back on her vase and putting the prize back into her bag. "I think this proves that Ken's not evil anymore; not just anyone can open all of the Digimentals."

"Especially the Digimental of Light," agreed Yolei. She lowered her gaze to the sleeping emperor in her arms. "I can't believe it. . . Before all of this, I would never have thought he'd be so good, so nice. . ."

As Kari and T.K. watched, Yolei crossed her arms over Ken's chest and leaned down, kissing his forehead. Kari gripped her friend's arm, waiting until their eyes met before she spoke. "He'll be fine, Yolei; just wait and you'll see."

Yolei rested her head on top of Ken's, closing her eyes as she responded. "I don't know why, Kari, but . . . I'm still scared for him. Even with all of the Digimentals opened, I'm still scared that we'll lose him."

". . . I'm still scared that I'll lose him."

------------------------------
If you think that I've reached the end of this story, you are sadly mistaken. ^_~
Wormmon -- Why did you hurt Ken-chan so much?! I thought he was your favorite character!
Um, well, I like to torture and hurt the characters I love. Is that a crime?
Ken -- . . . I'll say it is.
Wormmon -- Humans are so strange.
*clears throat and flails arms* Please review! I'm not quite done with this fic yet and I want to see what people think so far. . .! Oh, and rest assured: there will be an explanation of the things that happened in this chapter that weren't seen (such as Makusumon's leaving).