Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Donkey Madness ❯ Alpha Level ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Started: November 10, 2000
Finished: November 11, 2000

Part 3:
Alpha Level

He held the doorknob firmly, looking back at his comrades. Five serious and slightly-nervous children looked back at him, silently urging him to open the door and get the whole thing over with. Facing the door once again, Ken Ichijouji turned the knob and pulled open the door.

". . . Wow. . .," came an astonished gasp from Cody.

The six Digidestined stood on a platform that overlooked a huge, green-colored maze that twisted as far as the eye could see. They were unable to stop staring until the platform under them jerked, beginning to descend slowly to ground level.

"This is the first part of your test, Digidestined. Good luck."

". . . You know, I'm kinda surprised he said that," remarked Yolei. "You'd think someone that's putting us through all of this would want us to fail."

"You may be looking too far into his words," Ken said, although he didn't make eye contact with the older girl. "He may be insulting us by saying we need luck."

T.K. looked wryly at Ken, stepping off the platform as it came to a stop. "Well, here we are," he sighed, taking a look around. "I guess you're playing leader, Ken."

Ken glanced at the blonde, not speaking as he walked to the front of the group. "Keep in mind that I can't doubt my own decisions," he declared, looking over his shoulder at the other Digidestined. "If I make a mistake, be prepared to turn around."

Davis nervously crossed his arms, nodding in understanding; he wasn't a stranger to the world of Donkey Madness. "There's tons of dead-ends in these mazes," he explained. "At least there aren't any traps on the beginning levels."

With that said, the group began their journey through the maze, Ken in the lead and Kari and Davis flanking him. Yolei and Cody walked in the middle, Cody carrying the unconscious Wormmon, and T.K. brought up the back. They walked in this formation for awhile, Ken leading them safely for a short while.
The feeling of safety didn't last long.

Kari and Davis jumped in shock when they suddenly saw the floor in front of them drop, Ken disappearing from sight. It happened so quickly that they stood there, stunned, for a second. "A pitfall?!" gasped Davis as the shock wore off, running forward and right to the edge of the hole. "Hey, Ken! Ken, are you okay?!"

Ken clutched the edge of the floor, looking impassively at the Digidestined of Courage and Friendship despite the fact he was hanging over absolute nothingness. "I guess I made a mistake," he sighed. Davis shuddered slightly as he offered the taller boy his hand, still unnerved by his inability to show emotion.

T.K. and Davis helped the Digimon Emperor out of the pit, standing up along with him and redirecting their attention to the obstacle in their path. "I thought you guys said there weren't any traps in the beginning levels!" Yolei frowned at both Ken and Davis.

"I think this is one of the changes made by the Game Lords." Kari nervously scratched one elbow. "Are we supposed to keep going this way?"

Ken and Davis both nodded. "This happens a lot in the game," Davis muttered. "We're gonna have to cross along the walls."

Yolei looked faint at the thought. ". . . Cross along the walls?" she repeated in disbelief. She shifted her wide eyes to the pit. "Over that?!"

Cody frowned in an attempt to look brave, clutching Wormmon tightly to his chest. "It can't be that bad. . . You've flown with Halsemon, Yolei. . ."

"But I had Halsemon under me then! This is way different!" retorted Yolei, beginning to shake. She looked ready to start crying again.

"C'mon, Yolei," T.K. started, shaking the girl's shoulders. "Don't break down again. We need to keep moving."

"I-- I know," the violet-haired girl managed, hugging herself to keep herself from shaking even more. The others remained silent for a few moments as she regained her wits and nodded. ". . . All right. All right, I'm fine. Let's go."

"Finally," Ken stated flatly, turning and starting towards the pit. "That took long enough."

The kids shot Ken dirty looks behind his back before following, carefully edging themselves across the wall. Cody had some difficulty crossing while carrying Wormmon, so T.K. volunteered to carry the digimon across to spare Cody the stress. Of course, Ken couldn't have cared less . . . literally. The blue-haired emperor was off without a word, leaving the others to play catch-up.

". . . I still think they didn't take all of his emotions," grumbled Davis, having taken the role of temporary leader with Ken's absence. "He's a walking icicle!"

"This time he can't help it," reminded Kari, trying to keep an open mind. "We need to put up with him if we want to get out of--"

"Um, I'm sorry to be rude, Kari, but. . ." Everyone looked to T.K., who had his attention on the digimon in his arms.

Wormmon opened his eyes tiredly, moaning softly. ". . . Ken-chan. . .?" he murmured, his eyes beginning to focus.

"Nope, no 'Ken-chan' here," Davis muttered, rubbing his nose. "Just us."

Kari smiled at the green digimon, kneeling to look him in the eye. "Hello, Wormmon," she greeted.

Wormmon blinked in confusion, looking at the surrounding Digidestined. "W-- where's Ken-chan?" he managed, obviously scared.

"He's around here somewhere," T.K. replied, frowning at the maze walls. "We're all being forced to stick together because of these weird Game Lord digimon."

If anything, the little digimon looked even more confused. ". . . What?"

Yolei laughed lightly, taking Wormmon out of T.K.'s hands and cradling him. "You're so cute!" she cooed. "I can't believe Ken doesn't like you!"

The little digimon sweatdropped, glancing at the other kids for some sort of help. All he received were weak grins and sweatdrops. "Umm. . . ."

Cody cleared his throat, diverting everyone's attention from Wormmon to the youngest of the Digidestined. "Shouldn't we keep going?" he asked with a frown. "I'm not sure about all of you, but I'm nervous by the fact that the Digimon Emperor, our only chance of getting out of here, has walked off without us."

Kari bit her lip and nodded in resignation. "You're right, Cody. Davis, lead the way."

* * * * *

Less than an hour passed before the small party found their leader again. Ken was standing next to a wall in a long corridor (as opposed to leaning against it), staring off into oblivion in thought. He turned his head as he heard footsteps approaching, not bothering to move away from wall. "I've been waiting for you," he said, adjusting his glasses slightly. "I didn't even realize you weren't following me anymore."

The Digidestined waited a bit longer, Davis tapping his foot angrily. "Well? Aren't ya gonna apologize?" he queried.

"Do you really expect me to apologize?" Ken asked in reply. Silence was his only answer from the brown-haired boy.

"Ken-chan? Are you okay?"

Ken finally took notice of Wormmon in Yolei's arms. "You're awake," he murmured flatly. He turned around, starting down the hallway. "Try to keep up."

The little insect digimon stared after his master, unable to keep the bewilderment off of his face. He cocked his head up to Yolei, looking at her sadly as the group began moving again. "What's wrong with Ken-chan?" he whispered.

". . . The Game Lords, they. . ." Yolei stopped, suddenly remembering those colorless eyes of Ken's. She shuddered visibly.

Kari slowed to walk next to the older girl and addressed Wormmon. "The Game Lords did something to him," she explained, seeing Wormmon's eyes widen in fear. Wormmon really cares about him. . . How can Ken be so mean to him? "We're not sure how, but they managed to take away Ken's emotions. He can't feel anything."

Wormmon's bright blue eyes began to glisten, as if he were suppressing tears. "I told him this was a bad idea," he whimpered. "I told him we shouldn't come here. . . Now this. . ."

Both of the girls traded looks, then tried to comfort the small creature. "He'll be okay," Kari said. "He's Ken Ichijouji -- he's gotten through worse things, right?"

"The Game Lords said that you're the only way Ken can get back his feelings," Yolei added. "All we have to do is get Ken from being stubborn and then maybe he can help himself."

T.K. walked up from behind the two, one brow raised. "How's that possible?" he queried. "Ken can't be stubborn if he doesn't have emotions, right?"

Yolei managed a small sweatdrop. "You know what I mean!" she exclaimed, shaking her head. "Oh, who am I kidding?! I don't know what I mean!" Kari and T.K. both laughed quietly as Yolei continued to shake her head.

Wormmon, however, had his eyes on Ken's back the entire time as they walked down the long passageway.

"Ken-chan. . ."

* * * * *

"Yeesh! How the heck could we lose him again?"

"Maybe because someone wasn't keeping an eye on him, Davis."

"Hey, shut up, T.F.! I was busy sneezing!"

"Sneezing my--"

"Will you two stop it?!" Yolei glared at the two boys and screeched. Wormmon, still held in her arms, shut his eyes tightly in a futile attempt to block out the sound. "You're really bad role models for Cody, you know that??"

Davis and T.K. stopped and looked at Cody. They both plastered big smiles on their faces. "We're not bad role models, are we, Cody?" Davis asked.

Cody frowned in thoughtful surprise. "Actually . . . I don't really see either of you as role models."

The two older boys facefaulted and plummeted to the ground. "That . . . was a major . . . insult. . .," grumbled T.K. from where he lay on the floor.

Kari rubbed her temples wearily. "Please, you guys . . . we need to concentrate on catching up with Ken again. This really isn't helping much. . ."

T.K. and Davis climbed back to their feet, apologizing to the brunette before leading the way down the maze. Another pitfall at a T-path helped the group figure out which way Ken went and they continued on with little hassle until finally. . .

"Yes!" Davis pumped his fist in the air and grinned heartily. "We're through the maze!"

Wormmon stared at the new place they were in. ". . . What is this?" he whispered.

The group paused to take in their surroundings, teeth clenching uneasily at the sight of a river of lava that flowed from their rights to their lefts. T.K. frowned deeply, taking in the sudden change in landscape; large, dark rocks littered the nearly-black ground they stood on. Davis swallowed hard, seeing the rickety bridge that hung above the river -- barely high enough to avoid being burned. Cody inhaled sharply, seeing the bright red eyes of a digimon on the other side of the river.
The Digidestined had reached the first danger zone . . . and the Digimon Emperor was nowhere to be seen.



It's getting a little interesting, ne? Please say it is. . .!