Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Donkey Madness ❯ Night Happenings ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Started: November 19, 2000
Finished: November 21, 2000

Part 6:
Night Happenings

The six Digidestined quickly backed away as the two digimon slid down the hill of colored spheres, putting a few meters between them as they did so. Davis Motomiya glared at the digimon meaningfully. "Let us through; we passed your stupid test already!"

Bubblemon chortled, leering wickedly. "That's not how this test works," he declared. "Rainbow Shower!"

The kids tensed, jaws dropping as some of the spheres behind the digimon began to float into the air. "Scatter!!" shrieked T.K. Takaishi, grabbing Kari's arm and hightailing it away from the others. Davis stuck with Yolei and Ken found himself running with Wormmon and Cody.

Yolei yelled out as a red sphere suddenly struck the ground right in front of her, Davis barely pulling her away as a green sphere embedded itself where she had been only moments before. They wove and jerked around to avoid the falling spheres, the ground-impacting balls sounding like explosions in their ears.

"Rainbow Shot!"

Popmon hefted up a sphere and threw it at T.K. and Kari, the ball exploding and midair and sending flaming shards their way. T.K. pushed Kari out of the way and shielding himself with his arms, stifling a gasp of pain as the shards struck his forearms. Kari grabbed hold of the blonde and prodded him to keep running.

"Wormmon, you need to Armor Digivolve!" hissed Ken as Wormmon and Cody ran in front of him.

"You need the D-terminal near to do that, Ken-chan!" Wormmon called back, sweat beading on his small face.

Ken Ichijouji clenched his hands into fists and glanced over his shoulder, seeing Davis and Yolei still running from Bubblemon's attack. What can I do? he wondered, his mind racing with different thoughts. What other Digimentals could I access--?

"Rainbow Shot!"

The Digimon Emperor tensed at the echoing voice, his dark blue eyes widening as a bright orange projectile struck Cody in the side of the stomach and forced a scream from the child. Not stopping in his sprint, Ken rushed to the falling boy and tackled him as another sphere smashed into the wall behind him.

Cody groaned in pain, staring at his unlikely savior through a blurry haze. ". . . It hurts. . .," he managed, shutting his eyes as he passed out.

Ken cursed his bad luck, looking around wildly for some sort of help. Wormmon was quickly at his side, staring worriedly at the youngest of the Digidestined. Shaking his head, Ken reached into Cody's jacket and pulled out the younger boy's D-terminal. He began to work at the small computer, accessing the two Digimentals stored on it.
. . . What can I use? Will either of them work for me?
Taking out his Black D-3 Digivice and hoping for a miracle, the blue-haired emperor turned his attention to his digimon.

"Digi-Armor, energize!"

The D-terminal blared noisily, shooting a beam of purple energy from it to Ken's digivice. A yellow Digimental appeared in the air, reacting to the presence of a digimon.

"Wormmon Armor Digivolve to . . . Searchmon, the earth's insight!"

Ken took a step back as Wormmon disappeared in the bright yellow glow, a larger bug-like digimon appearing in his place. Metallic-silver and dark blue in color, Searchmon lacked the silent flamboyance that Shadramon had shown off. Searchmon had gleaming orange-red eyes and shining armor, as well as a flat sonar dish on its back that had the symbol of Knowledge etched on it.

"Ken-chan, take cover!" shouted the huge digimon, startling Ken into action. Taking hold of the unconscious Cody, Ken moved behind his armored digimon.

". . . Searchmon, huh?" sneered Popmon, gesturing to Bubblemon. "Let's take him out!"

Bubblemon grinned, nodding in agreement. "Rainbow Shower!"

"Rainbow Shot!"

The silver digimon tensed, a steady hum sounding from him as he shouted. "Status Busy!" As the spheres came his way, Searchmon's flat sonar rose up, releasing a visible wave that stopped the projectiles in midair. The Digidestined and enemy digimon stared in surprise at the new armor digimon's ability.

The two digimon growled and prepared to attack again. However, Searchmon wasn't about to let the two of them do so. "Jamming Hertz!"

Everything blurred before Ken's eyes, and he staggered back and shut his eyes to block out the disorientation. Bubblemon and Popmon screeched as Searchmon's attack blinded them, their attacks stopping instantly. Searchmon followed up with an electric blast that sped along the ground, first blasting Popmon into oblivion and then knocking Bubblemon into the air. This electrical attack then shot into the air, finishing Bubblemon off before the digimon could let out one last cry.

Ken opened his eyes as he heard feet pounding against the ground, watching as Searchmon de-digivolved to Wormmon. He sat back against the wall, trying to catch his breath as Wormmon approached and rubbed against his ankle. Sighing, Ken reached over and patted the little digimon on the head. "Nice job," he said softly, his voice leaking with exhaustion.

Wormmon beamed at the compliment, staying at Ken's side as the other Digidestined surrounded them. Yolei cradled Cody's head and choked on words, T.K. checking for physical injury as the others looked on. Davis knelt by the Digimon Emperor, clapping him on the shoulder. "Hey, that was a smart move, Ken," he commented, grinning.

The boy frowned, looking from Davis' grin to the placement of his hand. ". . . Did I say you could touch me?" he queried flatly, his eyes narrowing behind the sunglasses.

Davis blinked, removing his hand and standing up. Yeesh. . . 'Guess he's got more emotions back, he thought. "Is Cody okay?" he queried.

"He'll be fine; there's no bruise," T.K. replied. "I'll carry him on my back; we should get outta here."

The others nodded in agreement, Kari helping T.K. position Cody on his back and Ken taking position as the leader again. Yolei carried Wormmon and stayed at Ken's side, leaving Davis to bring up the back. An exit had appeared as soon as Bubblemon and Popmon had been killed, a black hole in the far wall that could not be seen past.

"I am impressed," came a strange, nasal voice from above. All of the kids jerked their heads up in shock. "You have actually survived this far. . ."

". . . That's not the same voice from before. . ." T.K.'s eyes narrowed suspiciously. "Who are you?!"

"I am one of the four Game Lords," replied the mysterious digimon. His voice had a sinister undertone to it; T.K. had the feeling that this digimon was likely to backstab someone given half a chance. "You Digidestined may call me . . . Uragirumon."

Wormmon blinked. ". . . I've never heard of Uragirumon. . ."

"Heh! I'm one of a kind!" exclaimed the Game Lord, snickering a bit. T.K. twitched, immediately remembering Puppetmon and the Dark Master's mocking laughter. "I applaud your perseverance; there have been digimon in the past that never made it past their first test."

"What do you want?" demanded Davis.

"Actually, I'm just speaking to you to deliver a prize." A glowing object appeared above the Digidestined's heads. "According to Donkey Madness' plot, an item was earned after each level was completed. Here's your first one."

Ken opened his hands to receive the object, the other children gathering around to stare at their 'prize.' It was a round, red ball that glimmered faintly in the emperor's hands. ". . . What's this?" murmured Kari, a brow rising.

"Makusumon said that the Red Orb is for the Digidestined of Courage," Uragirumon explained. "For what purpose, I don't know. I suggest, however, that you Digidestined hold onto that orb; Makusumon doesn't just give things for no reason."

The kids glanced each other, and Ken grudgingly handed the small ball over to Davis. The brown-haired boy took it with a frown, shrugging as he put it into his pocket. With the orb out of sight, the Digimon Emperor returned his attention to the matter at hand. His gaze trailed to the girl at his side.

"Ready?" Ken asked quietly.

". . . After that weird game, I think I'm ready for anything," Yolei declared, nervously clenching her fists as she glanced at the boy genius.

"Expect the unexpected," Wormmon murmured from Yolei's arms.

And with that, the Digidestined stepped into the darkness.

* * * * *

". . . A forest?"

Yolei gasped and smiled at the sunlight that glimmered beyond the treetops, stepping forward and breathing in. "Fresh air!" she exclaimed happily. "After those stuffy rooms, this is great!"

Ken tilted his sunglasses, taking in his surroundings through slightly-blue eyes. "I don't recall a forest maze," he announced, turning and setting his glasses back in place.

Davis scratched the back of his head, adjusting his goggles carefully. "Neither do I," he said. "I guess we're gonna have to wander, huh?"

"I can't think of anything else," admitted Ken. ". . . What is the point of this?"

To the Digimon Emperor's surprise, his question was answered. "I do not want one of you disabled through these tests." It was the voice of the Game Lord that had spoken to them before the test. "You will be allowed to rest in this forest until tomorrow -- I am sure that is enough time for the boy to recover."

"Gee. . . You're being really nice, considering you want us dead," Kari remarked. "Are you Makusumon?"

"Yes, I am Makusumon. Uragirumon has probably made me sound like some sort of monster. . . You are being tested, Digidestined. I do not want you dead; only you want yourself dead if you allow yourself to fail."

T.K. frowned at the words sank in. "That makes no sense!"

". . . Does it now?"

An eerie silence filled the air as the cryptic question echoed through the children's heads. Ken was the first to shake it off, looking back at his current companions. "Let's find a place to rest," he said. He glanced at the younger boy on T.K.'s back, the tiniest glint of concern appearing in his eyes. ". . . Cody should be laid down."

* * * * *

Night began to descend into the forest maze as the Digidestined settled down to make camp. Davis and T.K. found a nearby stream and went fishing for everyone, bringing back a feast of brightly-colored fish that was broiled over a modest fire. Yolei had almost keeled over at the thought of eating raw fish, but had grudgingly eaten it after her stomach began to complain. Wormmon, being a digimon, had pretty much inhaled his share of the fish, moving in on Kari's when she didn't protest. Ken had only joined the campfire supper at Cody's request, picking at his food and retiring early. Wormmon quickly followed, not wanting to be separated from his master for too long.
As the stars began to come out, Kari pulled out a blanket from her backpack and laid it out on the forest floor. Cody and T.K. were asleep within minutes, and with some prodding Kari managed to get Davis to sleep as well. Yolei stubbornly stayed up, working at her D-terminal and attempting to send e-mails back to the real world. The brunette finally gave up on the older girl, pulling a second blanket from her bag and hugging it to her chest as she walked away from the site. She found the loner of their group perched in a tree, staring out into the starry sky. Wormmon was at his side, silent in his timidity.

"Ken?"

The blue-clad form didn't move at her voice. "What do you want?" His voice was relatively cold, without an angry tinge or irritated edge.

Kari held the blanket close as she glanced from the ground to the boy in the tree. "Do you want a blanket? It must be really cold up there. . ."

Ken shifted slightly, looking down at the brunette through his shades. "What?"

"I asked if you wanted a blanket. . ."

The Digimon Emperor's face disappeared from view once again. ". . . Keep it. You need it more than I do."

The Digidestined of Light blinked, a bit surprised by Ken's response. Kari lingered a little longer, then set the blanket at the trunk of the large tree before turning around. She gave the boy one last glance over her shoulder, then disappeared back into the forest, towards the campsite.

* * * * *

She rubbed her eyes tiredly, then fixed her glasses back on her face with a sigh. Finally shutting off her computer, Yolei stood up and stretched. To her far right, her four friends all had fallen asleep on top of the same blanket, close together to maintain some warmth. The campfire was beginning to die, so she added a few more branches to the flame before heading off into the forest. As she left the safety of the campsite, she heard voices in the dark.

". . . Ken-chan?" Wormmon's voice was quiet and hesitant.

"What is it?" From his voice alone, Yolei could tell Ken was exhausted.

"Are you okay? You're shivering."

"I'm fine." Ken's snappish reply came a little too quickly -- a sure sign that he was lying.

Yolei spotted a blanket at the trunk of the tree that Ken and Wormmon were on, the memory of Kari walking off with the blanket returning. She bent down and picked it up, gathering the soft gray blanket against her chest as she looked up to the branch. The young emperor's form was visible against the light of the many stars. She remained silent for a long moment, looking up at the boy that had become their ally through this strange ordeal.

An eternity later, she called up softly. ". . . Ken?"

When no answer came, Yolei decided to investigate. Pulling together the scattered bits of her bravery, she pulled herself and the blanket up the tree. As she had suspected, the limb that Ken had fallen asleep on was sturdy and broad, if not a bit chilly to the touch. Yolei carefully crawled out onto the branch, draping the blanket over herself and Ken. The violet-haired girl was about to turn in for the night when she felt something poke her leg.

Throwing off the blanket, Yolei noticed Wormmon looking at her in confusion. "What are you doing up here. . .?" queried the little digimon in a very quiet voice. "Ken-chan will be very mad. . ."

Yolei smiled warmly, offering her arm to the green creature. "He won't mind. Come here -- you can sleep with me."

Wormmon stared at her.

Realizing she had just perplexed the poor digimon with her actions, Yolei let out a small sigh. "Come on, Wormmon. . . You must be really lonely, having a master like Ken."

Wormmon started at that. "Ken-chan cares! . . . He just doesn't show it often now."

Another sigh passed the girl's lips as she offered Wormmon her arm again. ". . . I'm sure he does care. . . But until he starts showing it more often, I'll take care of you. Is that okay?"

The digimon hesitated, looking forlornly at his sleeping master and friend . . . then at the smiling girl that offered him her arm. Slowly, Wormmon crept up to Yolei, moving into her arms. Yolei laid down again, the little creature's heart beating wildly against her own.

"Calm down . . . I'm not gonna hurt you." Wormmon made a small sound at Yolei's attempt at comfort. "Good night, Wormmon."

". . . Good night."

"My name is Yolei."

". . . . . . . . . . Good night, Yolei."

* * * * *

"Yolei! Yolei, where'd you go?"

She shifted slightly, mumbling incoherently at the sound of her name being called. Her eyes remained closed as she pressed against a warm surface that seemed to move next to her, trying to get closer to the warmth subconsciously.

"Yolei!!"

Letting out an irritated groan, Yolei sat up and looked for the source of the shouting. Kari and Davis were walking into the clearing in which her tree sat in, Davis catching sight of her in the tree as he led.

"What're you doing up there, Yolei?"

Kari came up from behind the goggle-wearing boy, surprise etched on her face. "Yolei? Wasn't Ken sleeping up there?"

Yolei's eyes widened at Kari's words, and she looked at what she had been pressing her face against: Ken Ichijouji's back. A red blush claimed her face as she began to imagine herself the night before, sleeping against the boy genius. She flailed her arms wildly, shaking her head back and forth rapidly. "It's not what you think, it's not what you think!!"

Her voice and movement startled the young emperor from his sleep, his hidden eyes opening wide. "What the--?! A-- AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!" He abruptly rolled over and tumbled from the tree branch, tangled in the blanket as he landed in the bushes down below.

Yolei sweatdropped profusely from where she sat, Wormmon waddling from her lap to look down at his fallen master. Davis and Kari stared at their ex-nemesis with wide eyes, both sweatdropping and too stunned to speak or utter a sound.

". . . Ken-chan. . .?"

"What the hell is going on!? Why am I down here!? What happened?!"

Kari couldn't hold it back anymore. She burst into giggles, trying to cover her smile with her gloved hands. Ken snarled and flushed red as he wrestled out of the blanket, his sunglasses falling to hang around his neck by its strap in the process. "Stop it! Stop laughing at me!!"

"I-- I'm sorry!" Kari apologized, wiping a tear away. "I'm trying, I'm trying. . .!" She choked back another laugh, hiccupping a few times.

Yolei scurried down the tree, holding Wormmon tightly and bowing to the boy as she apologized. "I'm so sorry I knocked you out of the tree, Ken! I really didn't mean it!" She continued the apologies for a few more moments.

Ken flung the gray blanket at Yolei's feet, frowning dangerously as he put on his sunglasses and adjusted them again. "I won't even ask what you were doing up there," he hissed heatedly, gloved hands clenching into fists. Apparently, just two Digimentals had restored most -- if not all -- of his anger emotion. ". . . Just don't do it again." With that, he stormed off towards the main campsite. The three Digidestined could only imagine the horrors that would unfold once T.K. and Cody both faced the Digimon Emperor's wrath.

"Sheesh. . ." Davis scratched his head as he watched the tall boy disappear from sight. ". . . 'Must not be a morning person."



*giggles* Who loves Kenlei? I do, I do! ^_^ I've been waiting to use that forest scene for a long time now; I'm so glad I got it out. Now that I've done that, all you reviewers that wanted Kenlei/Kenyako need to find something new to review about! I wanted to include Wormmon a bit more in this part, too, so this is the ending product. *grins* Next chapter, we'll return to the seriousness at hand. . .