Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Donkey Madness ❯ Gamma Level ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Started: December 20, 2000
Finished: January 11, 2001

Part 11:
Gamma Level

". . . What kind of maze is this. . .?"

The six children and one digimon stared at their surroundings in quiet awe. Their reflections could be seen in every wall, the mirrors gleaming with a bluish sheen. Like the last two mazes they had gone through, the corridor they found before them stretched farther than they could see. Kari Kamiya carefully ran a hand across one wall, watching her reflection trace her hand silently.

Davis Motomiya frowned as he looked over at Ken Ichijouji. "Hey, Ken, do you remember a maze like this in the game?" he queried. "This sure isn't the third maze."

Ken shook his head, studying Kari's reflection as she continued to run her hand across the wall. "I think this is another change from the actual game; there weren't trials like Uragirumon's in the game, either."

T.K. Takaishi crossed his arms as he took a few steps away from the group before turning to face them. "Shouldn't we get going?"

"This maze is different from the last two."

The kids started at the voice, their gazes going up to the nonexistent ceiling. "Makusumon?" Kari murmured, backing from the wall and closer to her friends.

"This maze will test your actual feelings toward yourself; you must find the mirror that reflects the true you to proceed. You will receive no outside help from your companions. . . In fact, there are six different exits to this maze; one for each of you."

". . . What about Wormmon?" Cody Hida queried. Ken had allowed the younger boy to carry the digimon for awhile and Cody held Wormmon possessively.

"Wormmon has no place in this test."

The next thing the kids knew, Cody was holding thin air. Ken let out a choked gasp, then glared up at the bright light above. "What the hell did you do!?"

"Temper, temper, little emperor," chided Makusumon. "You do not want to lose that emotion again, do you? Wormmon will be returned to you in due time; he will only be in the way in this test."

"Give him back now!!"

"You are in no position to give commands, little emperor," reminded the Game Lord, his tone a bit harsher than before. "Wormmon will be returned later. Do not demand for his return again or he will suffer for your actions."

Ken bit back a scream, clenching his hands into shaking fists as he jerked his head down. "Damn. . ."

Kari laid a comforting hand on the boy's shoulder. "Wormmon's most likely with the rest of our digimon; he should be fine. Don't worry about him."

"I'm not worried," replied Ken, frowning as he adjusted his shades. "It's just the principle of the whole thing."

Davis rolled his eyes. "Stop tryin' to sound all cool and smart, Ken; you are worried. Let's get going so we can get Wormmon back."

Too distracted to argue, Ken led the way down the long corridor. It didn't take long for the party to reach the end of the single hallway, which branched off in six different ways.

". . . I guess we're all on our own from here on in," T.K. murmured quietly.

Yolei shivered as she looked from one corridor to another. "I'm already freaking out," she announced. "How can we do this willingly? I mean, I don't want to split up!"

"None of us do, Yolei." Cody rubbed his arm nervously. "But we don't have much of a choice; the Game Lords will hurt our digimon if we don't cooperate."

"Will you guys be okay alone?" queried Davis. "I think I'll be okay, but I'm worried that we're not gonna be able to help each other if something happens. . ."

"Hopefully, nothing dangerous will," Ken answered sullenly. He turned and started down the first corridor, glancing over his shoulder to the Digidestined. ". . . Be careful; we'll see each other later."

Then Ken was gone, walking down into the hallway and out of view. The Digidestined hesitantly took to their own halls, Davis braving the turn of events first and striding into the unknown. T.K. and Kari took the corridors closest to each other, looking determinedly at each other one last time before taking off. Cody and Yolei both sighed and hugged for a second, then timidly walked down their own corridors.

* * * * *

Davis stomped his way noisily through the mirror maze, trying to distract himself as he walked onward. His reflections mimicked his motions, feet hitting the ground loudly each time. "This really bites. . .," he muttered to himself, crossing his arms as he walked. "I hate silence!"

"You're not the only one."

The Digidestined of Courage and Friendship straightened at the familiar voice, looking around frantically for the source. "Tai!? Tai, is that you!?" He began to run, looking for some end to the long corridor. As he neared a section where the hallway bent to his right, Davis watched a tall boy walk into view. His heart leapt in relief. "Tai!"

Tai Kamiya smiled slightly at the younger boy. "Hey, Davis. What's up?"

"Oh man, Tai, I'm so glad you're here!" Davis grinned broadly as he spoke. "We've been going through these mazes and tests these royal jerks, the Game Lords, made--" He suddenly stopped, realizing what was wrong with this picture. Tai couldn't be in the Digital World without one of them opening the portal . . . and he wore a pair of goggles identical to the ones Davis currently wore. ". . . You're not Tai!!"

The imposter laughed in amusement. "Very quicker thinker, aren't you?" He stuffed one hand in his pocket in much the same way Tai would have. "I'm you, Davis."

Davis stared at 'Tai' in shock. "What!?"

"I'm the reflection of everything you are," 'Tai' explained. "You're just a copy of your idol, Davis."

The boy shook his head in horror. "That's not true!"

"Sure it is," the pretender said. "You play soccer, just like him."

"That's just a coincidence!" Davis defended. "I didn't even know Tai when I started soccer. . ."

'Tai' tapped at the pair of goggles that adorned his head. "You even wear the goggles of your idol."

"He gave them to me!"

"They are the leader's goggles. If you wear them, you're in the same position that he was in. That makes you even more of a copy."

Davis trembled with rage as he reached up, pulling the goggles from his hair. "That's a lie, and you know it! I'm not copy!" He hurled the goggles as hard as he could at the green-clad boy, eyes shutting as he followed through.

He was startled when he heard the sound of something cracking.
Opening his eyes, Davis watched the image of Tai split and crackle before shattering into millions of shards. Beyond the deceptive mirror was another mirror, this one reflecting a surprised boy wearing an ordinary blue vest instead of a flame-decorated bomber jacket.

". . . This is me. This is the real me." Davis' voice was firm as he walked over and picked up Tai's goggles. "Tai's goggles give me a position to live up to, not a title that's a curse." He fixed them on his head once again. ". . . Tai'd be proud of me. He wouldn't want me thinking I'm exactly like him. 'Cuz I'm not." Davis grinned weakly at his reflection as he reached over and touched it. "I've got a lot more to offer."

His body shimmered brightly, then disappeared.

"Courage has passed."

* * * * *

T.K. glanced at the reflections of himself as he passed them, swallowing hard as each reflection stared right back at him. His hands clenched into and out of fists every now and then, the subconscious action going unnoticed by the blonde. I've gotta find the mirror that reflects the real me. . . But what's that supposed mean? Makusumon's directions are just as confusing as Gennai's prophecies!
Caught up in his own thoughts, T.K. almost didn't see the different reflection to his left. He stopped and backpedaled, blinking in shock at the mirror image that greeted him. Sharp, slanted blue eyes stared back into his own, his blond hair not restrained in a hat but styled with hairgel.

"Matt?" T.K. whispered, stiffening as 'Matt' echoed his words. The Digidestined backed into the wall behind him, watching 'Matt' follow in example. "Weird. . . What's with this mirror?" Matt Ishida's image silently looked at him, eyes shimmering with the same confusion lingering in T.K.'s eyes. ". . . Somehow, I doubt this is my real reflection. I know . . . I know I've always looked up to Matt, but this is ridiculous! I don't want to be my brother, no matter how much success he's got going for him right now!"

T.K. laughed uneasily, standing straight and walking back up to the mirror wall. "I see right through you," he declared, trying to calm himself as he spoke to 'Matt.' "I'm not fooled by this test; I know who I am and a stupid reflection's not going to change that." He raised a fist and punched at the mirror, watching in satisfaction as the image cracked and crumbled into a glass heap at his feet. Beyond the deception, T.K. was able to see himself, dressed in the green and brown shirt he had worn before entering the Digital World. "I know who I am. Nothing's gonna change that."

With that said, the boy touched his true reflection and disappeared from the maze.

"Hope has passed."

* * * * *

Yolei shook her head as she nervously walked through the corridor, her steps careful and unrushed. Is this supposed to test how insecure we all are? she wondered. Okay, so I'm probably the only one that's really insecure walking through a long, mirror-laden hall, but. . .

"Yolei?"

The girl jerked at the voice, her eyes landing on a familiar figure far down the hallway. She could almost make out Kari's slight smile at the way she had reacted. "Kari?" Yolei gasped. "What happened? Did the hall curve out?"

"Oh, no. . . Of course not." Kari's smile broadened, which earned her a confused look from Yolei.

"Kari. . .?"

'Kari' shook her head. "Part of you already knows the truth, Yolei. Tell me what I am."

Yolei swallowed hard, breathing slowly as she stared at the brunette. ". . . You're what I've always wanted to be. Kari Kamiya -- the girl who had everything. Kari always got the guys, the attention, the good rep. . . I was just the nerdy, love-struck girl."

The impostor nodded, watching Yolei approach her. "How did that make you feel?"

"I was always envious. I felt that-- that I had to be on that same level to be liked. But. . ."

"But?" Kari's look-alike frowned in confusion.

Yolei glared at 'Kari.' "I've found people that like me for who I am. Sure, Davis can be a total space-case, and T.K.'s still got his eyes on Kari . . . but they're my friends. Cody's always been there for me, and he'll always have a place in my heart. And I think that Ken. . ."

'Kari' gave Yolei a glare of her own. "He'll never love you."

The violet-haired girl feigned shock, already sensing victory. "How do you know? You're just a stupid illusion. A girl's allowed to dream, right?" Yolei grinned and walked right past 'Kari' and pointed to a mirror a few behind her. She could feel the impostor's eyes on her back as she spoke. "This mirror shows me in my normal clothes. Should I assume that this is my true reflection?" When no reply came, Yolei looked back to see 'Kari' had disappeared. The girl let out a ragged sigh. ". . . I wish all the tests were this easy." Touching the mirror, Yolei vanished.

"Love has passed."

* * * * *

Cody's breaths were steady and rhythmic as he stepped through the mirror maze, willing himself to stay calm despite being alone in a place he had never seen before. This is worse than first coming to the Digiworld. . . At least then I had familiar faces around me. He stared at the reflections of himself as he passed them, seeing his uneasiness being sent right back to him.
One reflection, however, caught his eye.
The short boy stopped in his tracks and backpedaled, frowning at the strange shadow that greeted him. There were no details to the tall body outline, a mysterious stranger that struck a chord in Cody's memory. He hesitantly touched it, startled that the reflection did exactly as he did. Is this a trick mirror? This seems a lot like one from those circuses. . .

"Such thoughts shouldn't even cross your mind."

Cody's eyes widened at the unfamiliar voice, staring at the shadow-reflection on the wall. ". . . Who. . .?"

"I am your hopes and wishes, Cody. I'm what you want to become."

A gasp caught in Cody's throat, and he took a step back in shock; his reflection did the same. "Father?"

"I am what you want to be. Serious, hard-working, courteous, responsible, righteous. . ."

"Ye-- yes. I've always wanted to be like you, Father."

"Your thoughts should be concentrated on the important things in life; your schoolwork and Kendo come before anything else."

"Of course." Cody nodded, watching the taller reflection nod as well.

"Being a Digidestined takes away time from your other responsibilities. It must be given up. It's not something meant for you."

"Ye-- . . . No." As the words registered, Cody took another step away from the reflection. ". . . . . I should have realized this sooner. . . You're the test. You say that you're everything I want to be. I can tell you're lying when you say I shouldn't be a Digidestined. I know I need to be one, and I enjoy being one." The young boy pulled the Golden Scepter off his back, holding it firmly with two hands. "This is a cruel test; no one should have to face a demon in the form of a dead loved one." Shutting his eyes to the shadowy form, Cody swung the scepter into the mirror.

Cody sank to his knees as the mirror shattered, sniffling as he opened his eyes. A teary-eyed reflection of himself -- dressed in his real world clothes -- stared back at him, sorrow visible in its eyes. "Father. . ." Suppressing a cry, Cody leaned his head against the mirror and disappeared in a flash of light.

"Knowledge has passed."

* * * * *

"This place is so cold. . .," Kari murmured to herself, rubbing her arms as she walked through the maze. "T.K., Yolei, Davis, Cody, Ken . . . do you guys feel this cold? As cold as death. . ."

"You always were a little drama queen, Kari."

Kari raised her head, recognizing the form that had sudden appeared in the middle of the corridor. "Tai. . .?" Her brother blinked soft brown eyes at the confused girl, crossing the corridor until he was right in her face. The next Kari knew, there was a stinging pain running through her left cheek and tears clouding her vision. "T-- Tai?!"

"Don't give me that," hissed the older Kamiya, glaring holes into the girl. "You know you've had that coming for awhile now. You're always acting arrogant and screaming out for help when put in danger. . . I thought you were trying to be brave -- like me!"

The Digidestined of Light cradled her smarting cheek carefully, forcing back tears as her mind raced. This isn't Tai. . . He couldn't be here like this. Even though I know that, the words still hurt. "This is one cruel trick, Makusumon!" Kari shouted, her call meant for the ears of the Game Lord. "I thought you had better taste than to face us against illusions!"

A dark smile curled up on the impostor's face as he watched Kari, those brown eyes being replaced by flashing . "I'm afraid that Makusumon isn't in charge of this level. I am."

Kari's eyes widened. "W-- who. . .!?"

"You should be more worried about yourself than my name, Digidestined," chuckled 'Tai.' "Of course, you were always self-absorbed, weren't you? You couldn't have cared less about your friends, let alone their feelings."

"That's not true! I care--"

'Tai' rolled his eyes. "I've heard that one before. Why not just admit it? You don't care unless it's about you!"

Kari tried to block out the horrible words, remembering the ways she would taunt and ridicule her friends -- Davis in particular. It's true that I tease and don't pay attention to everyone's problems . . . but everyone makes mistakes. . . "People change," she hissed, batting back tears as her hands balled into fists. "You act as if I'm always going to be this way. Now that I'm aware of that flaw, I can work with it."

"Even so, your flaws will be the end of you," 'Tai' retorted.

"Everyone has flaws; perfection is a myth," Kari snapped, angry with having to fight the impostor. "My brother told me that when I was five-years old, and I think it was the wisest thing he ever told me. Flaws only make people stronger."

Before 'Tai' could respond, Kari gathered her strength and rammed him backwards and to the ground. Her heart pounding wildly, the Digidestined ran down the corridor, slamming herself into the reflection of her wearing her real world clothes. Cursing, 'Tai' got back to his feet and disappeared in a swirl of black ashes.

"Light has passed."

* * * * *

How unnerving. . .
Ken adjusted his shades as he walked down the blue-white corridor, his eyes shifting from the mirrors to his left then to his right every few steps. His cape flapped listlessly behind him, cautiousness costing him his normal, flamboyant swagger. A tapered frown stuck to his features as he reached a turn, deepening as the corridor broadened and became a rectangular room.
What is this. . .?

"Ken-chan. . ."

The boy stiffened at the familiar voice, his eyes falling on a crumpled form stretched out at the far side of the room. "Wormmon?" he gasped, running to the curled and battered caterpillar. What did those Game Lords do. . .!?

"Ken-chan. . ."

Ken fell to his knees and pulled the green digimon into his arms, shifting him so his face was visible. His face paled at the silver markings on the digimon's face where bright, blue eyes should have been.

"Die!"

Sharp pain erupted through the blue-haired boy's arms and chest, and he released the creature as he toppled backwards in shock. His mouth open in soundless horror, Ken pushed himself to his feet and stared at the small digimon before him. "W-- what!?" he sputtered, eyes wide behind the yellow shades.

"Dokunemon," the green Virus digimon snickered. "You've grown soft, emperor; your feelings for the little worm have overridden your past paranoia." The creature continued to cackle as Ken's legs gave way underneath him, sending him tumbling to the ground. "How ironic. . . The great tyrant of the Digital World, killed by a slithering worm of little fame. How wrong does that sound, hmm. . .?"

Ken panted for breath as he lay on his stomach, beads of sweat already beginning to form on his brow. "W-- what did you do to me!?"

"Worm Venom is quite a useful thing, no?" chuckled the digimon. "Your death will be delightfully prolonged by its slow effects. As you yourself said, dear emperor: "Watching you squirm is sooo delicious.""

"N-- no. . ." As his body numbed, Ken found his other senses beginning to leave him.

"As I said before, it seems very wrong for the great emperor to be killed by a lowly Dokunemon." The skin of the digimon began to darken, the silver streaks that acted as eyes glowing sinisterly as the disguise was shed for another. Before Ken's veiled eyes, the ten-legged digimon came to stand solidly on two long legs. A familiar voice, filled with such evil that it made Ken shiver, drifted down to him. "It seems much more fitting for the Digital World's newest threat to be wiped out by itself."

And Ken stared at his mirror image, the dismay never leaving his face until blackness engulfed him.

"The Digimon Emperor has fallen."



*wipes sweat off brow* Without a doubt, this was the hardest chapter to wring out. I have real trouble writing the Digidestined in situations like the ones shown here; the easiest ones to write, surprisingly enough, were Davis and T.K. Kari's test was the hardest. It's amazing the things you learn from simply trying something new.
Well, I'm glad that's over with. I'll try to do more writing tomorrow. Ken and Wormmon have already gone to sleep for the night. (BTW, Ken showed up after I finished writing "Only Memories Remain." ^_^)