Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dreaming ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

"Archangel san." The Sailor scout of Saturn jogged to catch up with the dark author.

"Hotaru, I told you call me Arch." The author replied. "What's up?"

"Have you seen Cody chan? I haven't seen him since dinner and I'm worried."

"This place isn't that big." Hotaru glared at him. "Okay so it's a small castle. I'll find him."

Twenty minutes later Arch heard a faint music coming from one of the towers. Sure enough there was Iori with a guitar and a laptop. "Hey."

"Oh! Hey Arch san. I borrowed one of the laptops. I hope you don't mind."

"That's cool, but Hotaru's looking for you. What are you doing up here?"

"Writing a songfic." Iori replied strumming the guitar. "I got to thinking about the old days on the set of Digimon and about Miyako. She's a good friend and maybe we could have been something more..."

"Would you give up what you have?"

"Never." Iori said with a smile. "Tell me what you think. The song is Dreaming of You, by Selena."

--------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------

Dreaming
By Archangel Bloodraven

Late at night when all the world is sleeping

"Why him?" Miyako mumbled as she stood at the railing staring into the night. "Why did I have to fall so deeply in love with him? He probably doesn't even realize he's doing this to me. It's just as well. He'd probably blame himself if he knew."

"Miyako are you still awake?" Poromon asked worriedly as he flitted to her side.

"Yeah, Poro. I'm just thinking." More like obsessing. She corrected silently

"Aren't you tired?"

"Not in the least." She lied yawning deeply. "You get some sleep. I'll be in shortly."

"Are you sure you're okay?" Poro asked. When Miya nodded, the training level avian flitted back to bed and fell into a nervous sleep.

"Not in the least." Miya sighed returning to her contemplation of the stars.

I stay up and think of you.

"Okay. It's four in the morning and I'm looking at the stars and thinking about her. Again." Iori sighed as he ran his fingers through his chestnut colored hair. "This is not becoming a good trend."

"Why not?" Upamon said as he rolled into Iori's ankle.

"Upa! What are you doing up?" He asked raising the little yellow fluff ball to eye level

"I couldn't sleep without you. What about you?"

"I've got someone... a girl... a perfect goddess on my mind. But I doubt she even knows I exist."

"Why don't you just ask her?"

"It's not that simple Upa. There's all kinds of emotions, both mine and hers. Things get confusing."

Upamon didn't answer. He was sound asleep.

Iori tucked him back into bed and went back to his eternal contemplation of the night.

And I wish on a star
That somewhere you are
Thinking of me too.

As a shooting star streaked across the night sky two teens whispered the same simple plea.

"Flaming child of frozen fire, guide to me my heart's desire."

With the first rays of dawn tinting the sky, Iori and Miyako settled down for a few restless minutes of sleep.

'Cause I'm dreaming of you tonight
'Til tomorrow I'll be holding you tight
And there's nowhere in the world I'd rather be
Than here in my room dreaming about you and me

***

"Whoa girl." Hikari said grabbing Miya's arm and pulling her back from the curb and the oncoming car. "Middle of the road is not a good place to zone on me. What's up?"

"I'm okay Heeks." Miyako yawned. "Just a little sleep deprived."

Now Hikari was truly worried. Miyako never used that particular nickname consciously, meaning the purple haired girl was seriously preoccupied and wasn't sharing. After seeing her safely to her store Hikari turned her attention to the white cat coiling around her feet. "I'm worried about Miya, Tailmon."

"Yeah, I saw the major space out." The little cat said. "I'll talk to Poro. If Miya would confide in anyone it would be him."

"Thanks Tails, your the best."

"No problem glow worm." The little cat chuckled using Hikari's most hated nickname.

***

"Earth to Iori!"

"Huh?"

"School is this way man." Takeru said steering the shorter boy in the proper direction.

"Right." He said dazedly. "Where's Miyako?" The last part came out choked and Takeru could have sworn he was about to say Miya chan.

"She left early to meet Hikari at her parents store."

"Ah." Just as well. I can't face her without my world turning upside down. He thought trying desperately not to let his relief show.

Takeru said nothing more until they reached school and the two let their digimon out of their backpacks. Cody slipped out of the bushes first as Takeru waved Patamon over. "Talk to Upamon for me and see what's up with Iori, will you?"

"Sure thing." The little digimon said before fluttering off.

"Hey Iori, there's the others."

And there she is. Iori thought mournfully. Utterly unaware of my presence.

Wonder if you ever see me

"Hey Iori, Takeru." Hikari stood and lightly kissed Takeru on the lips.

Miyako sighed enviously. The person she was in love with wouldn't notice if she hit him from ten paces with a mallet.

And I wonder if you
Know I'm there.

"He doesn't even know I exist." She murmured under the steady flow of conversation.

"Hey guys don't forget about the couples picnic on Saturday."

"What?" Iori asked attempting to refocus.

"We're having a picnic in the park for DD and their significant others," Daisuke explained. "But its only for couples."

"That's not fair!" Miya exploded springing to her feet her hair flying wildly everywhere.

"Yeah!" Iori snapped springing to his feet as well. "You can't discriminate against someone just because they don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend. What about Ken?"

"Or Daisuke!" Miya snapped

"Actually," Ken said. "Dai and I have both found girlfriends."

"You and Iori are the last of the single 'destined." Hikari said.

"We'll it's still not fair." She finished lamely as she gazed across at Iori. Kami sama he's so perfect. She thought. That chocolate hair and those piercing green eyes! Oh my god he's looking right at me!

If you looked in my eyes would you see what's inside
Would you even care?

For the briefest of eternities the two lonely souls locked eyes before the bell rang.

"Whoa!" Daisuke said springing to his feet as the others scrambled to do the same. "We better book or sensei will have our heads."

"Right. Later." Miya said dazedly as she saw Iori jog briskly to his first class as Hikari gently guided her through the herd of students. I would give anything to hold him in my arms. Yeah right. Keep dreaming Miya. You'll never get up enough courage to say anything to him, even if he does feel the same way.

I just wanna hold you close but so far
All I have are dreams of you
So I wait for the day and the courage to say
How much I love you

***

"Takashi, Kamiya! You're late." Coach growled. "Ten laps on the track and ten minutes on the bench."

"Hai sensei." They nodded and took off as they briefed each other on the morning.

"Total space cases." Takeru said as they settled on the bench. "They must be in love with each other and afraid to admit it."

"Then they'll need help." Tailmon said as the two digimon came up beneath them safely out of sight. "Patamon and I compared notes and according to Upa and Poro, those two spend all night staring at the stars."

"And thinking of each other I'll wager." Takeru said. "Any ideas?"

"Tailmon, go to Sora's flower shop. There's something special I need." Hikari leaned over and whispered in the tiny cat's ear.

"No problem." She said with toothy grin. "You want me to bring it back?"

"No. Have her hold it until Friday night, but pay for it now."

"It's done." Tailmon said as she slipped away.

I'll dreaming of you tonight
'Til tomorrow I'll be holding you tight
And there's nowhere in the world I'd rather be
Than here in my room dreaming about you and me

"Hey Miya." Hikari said as they sat outside in the sun for lunch. "I got to thinking about what you said. It isn't really fair that you should be excluded, just because you don't have a boyfriend."

"Well I kinda understand your thinking. It would be kinda awkward like being the odd man out." Iori said.

"Right!" Takeru said.

"But we do feel kind of bad for cutting you guys out. It's not your fault you haven't found the right person yet." Ken said.

"So we were thinking that we ought to do something together. Just us 'destined new and old." Daisuke said.

"Didn't you tell me yesterday that your family's going out of town for the weekend." Hikari piped up.

"Actually, they are. What did you have in mind?"

"How about a sleepover?"

"Yeah..." Miya thought. "That'll be cool."Maybe I can actually get some sleep.

"Then we're on." Hikari said pulling out her D terminal. "I'll tell the others."

***

The matter was settled until they split up for the day. "Hey Mina!" Dai called running and catching his lady love in his arms.

"Ken chan!" A blue haired girl called flying into his waiting arms.

"Konichiwa Ami chan." He said softly before kissing her tenderly. With mutual affections exchanged the three couples walked patiently down the street, with Ami and Mina balancing delicately along the side of a fountain as Ken and Dai paced them patiently.

"We're not really going to that sleepover, are we?" Dai asked with a grin.

"I see you wised up once you stopped chasing after me." Hikari teased. "No we're not. Just Iori. Let's just hope they're too preoccupied to realize what's happening."

"What are you guys talking about?" Mina asked.

"There's a couple of friends of ours who are in love with each other." Dai said

"Almost." Takeru chimed in.

"They just refuse to admit it." Ken said.

"Well when you won't fall on your own," Ami said with a mischievous grin as Mina began a tricky balancing routine. "you have to be pushed." And with that she pushed.

"Amiiiii!" Mina cried as she fell forward into the fountain, landing on top of Dai who dove to catch her. Ami skipped back out of the way only to lose her balance and topple into Ken's waiting arms. "I'll get you for this Mercury!" She snarled as Dai helped her out of the fountain.

"I'm sure you will, Venus." She replied using the girls Sailor name. She kissed Ken before swinging down to her feet. "Remember when you and the others made me go swimming last week?"

"Oh yeah." She said making a weak attempt to shake off the water. "We kind of threw you in, didn't we?"

"Which is roughly what we plan to do to our love sick friends." Hikari said as she gathered her friends around and for the first time explained their plan.

***

Friday rolled around quickly enough with Iori and Miyako being none the wiser of the impending matchmaking scheme. After school Takeru took Iori back to his apartment and helped him pack and prepare for the evening even as Hikari was doing the same thing with Miyako. The pair hadn't wanted to spend this much time apart but it was agreed that it was for a good cause. Soon Miyako was redecked in a light summer dress and Iori was changed into khaki's and a sky blue silk shirt.

"I don't feel right, Takeru." Iori complained. "This isn't me."

"Okay..." Takeru scratched his head seeming to be lost in thought. "How about you wear a jacket?"

Iori agreed and for a while they tried on what the youngest chosen child had in his wardrobe. Once that failed Takeru offered him some of his finally culminating in a mad search through the back of his closet. "This is it Iori." He called as the clothes came flying onto the bed. "If this doesn't work, nothing will." He emerged with a carefully pressed tan jacket.

"It's perfect!" Iori said.

"That's my lucky jacket." Takeru said proudly. "Maybe it'll be lucky for you too."

"Well then, lets go." Iori said steeling himself as best he could for an entire night with Miyako.

***

"Well I've got to run home and get ready. Are you going to be all right, Miya?"

"Sure. I'll order the food once everyone's here." She said smoothing her hands down her dress. "Gosh this is so strange for me, but I kinda like it."

"Good." Kari said. "It's a nice change of pace." She was about to open the door when a knock came.

"Hey guys!" Takeru said, grinning jovially. His grin turned to a scowl as his cell phone rang. "Moshi moshi. What's up nee chan? What's wrong with your car? You just replaced the alternator two weeks ago! All right, I'm on my way, but you owe me." He hung up and turned to face the others. "My brother's car is shot, so I have to go pick him up."

"Can you drop me at my place on the way?" Hikari asked.

"Yeah. Are you two going to be all right by yourselves?"

"Y-y-yeah." The pair stammered in unison.

"All right. If we're not back with the rest of the gang in a half hour start without us." Takeru said as he left the two fledgling lovers to their own devices.

***

Late at night when all the world is sleeping
I stay up and think of you

Twenty minutes later the phone rang scaring both of the nervous youths out of their skin. "M-m-moshi moshi?"

"Hi Miya. How are you and Iori getting along?" Hikari asked sweetly.

"We're all right but when are you guys coming back?"

"About that, Miya. You better put this on speaker phone."

Miya looked puzzled but did as she asked. "Hi guys. You two are both pretty sharp most of the time but I'm willing to wager you haven't realized what we've done."

"You're not coming are you?" Iori asked.

"You are correct!" Takeru said. "This was a setup."

"Thanks a lot." Miyako said caustically.

"Oh you'll put a little more meaning into that in a moment." Sora said. "Iori do you still Takeru's lucky jacket?"

"Yes, why?"

"Don't you have something for Miya? Inside pocket?" Mimi asked.

"I don't ..." He stopped short as he produced a brilliant red, white, and pink rose with gold and crystal petals. A moment later it tumbled from his numb fingers and Miyako dove to catch it.

"This is beautiful. Iori how did you do this?"

"You might want to read the note attached to that flower, Miya." Jyou said casually.

Ai shigeru Miya chan. Miya's hands trembled as she barely managed to set the flower on the table. This is impossible but yet... just maybe...

"Miya I..."

"Do you mean it?" She managed to whisper.

The room was silent for a long moment before Iori whispered. "Hai. I love you Miya chan." Then he bolted out the door.

"Oh no." She murmured. "What have I done?"

"Go after him!" The others shouted.

Miyako blinked and sprang to her feet. "Can I call you back?"

"We'll wait." Hikari said. "Go."

And I still can't believe that
You came up to me and said
I love you

Miya caught up with Iori sobbing in the park. "Come to taunt me?"

"Never Iori." Miyako wrapped her arms around her former friend. "The truth is I love you too, but I never I had the courage to say anything. Oh I'm so sorry."

"You probably came tearing out after me, didn't you?" Iori said as she wiped his eyes.

She pulled her dress up to show her stocking feet. "Didn't even grab my shoes." She chuckled weakly then took off her glasses to wipe the tears of joy from her eyes.

"Wait." Iori said as she moved to replace her glasses. "You look better without them." he said, stroking her face. "I love you."

"Ai shigeru Iori chan." She kissed him tenderly.

I love you too

"So why did you guys do it?" Miya asked.

"As the heirs to our crests and our powers we feel kind of responsible for you guys." Koushiro said.

"And as our friends we couldn't let you go on hurting yourselves." Hikari said. "So I trust we'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah. I think you will." Iori said cuddling closer to Miyako.

"Then we'll let you go so you two can get some sleep." Takeru said.

Miya hung up the phone and gently led Iori to her room.

"Miya chan, I'm not sure we're ready for this."

"Iori, I don't want to do anything to make you uncomfortable, but now that we're finally together, I don't want to spend another night without you in my arms. I promise nothing will happen if you don't want it to." With that said, she climbed into bed and scooted over to make room. Iori glanced from the love of his life to the empty space and climbed up beside her and snuggled close.

"Ai shigeru, Miya." He murmured as he sank deeply into sleep.

"Ai shigeru, Iori." She whispered kissing his forehead lightly before falling asleep herself.

I'll be dreaming with you tonight
'Til tomorrow and for all of my life
And there's nowhere in the world l'd rather be
Than here in my room dreaming with you endlessly
***

"So couple roll call, by the ladies." Kari called.

"Takenouchi Sora and the fire of my life, Kamiya Taichi, present." Sora said with a smile as Taichi kissed her.

"Takichawa Mimi and the cutest pre med painter in any world, Kido Jyou, here." Mimi laughed as Jyou gently tickled her nose with a clean paintbrush.

"Kamiya Hikari and my personal guardian angel, Takashi Takeru, hermmmm." She was cut off as Takeru pulled her gently but insistently into a kiss.

"Castillano Destiny, and my frosty sweetheart, Ishida Yamato, here." The brunette girl said cuddling close to the teen singer who showed a rare smile over the grill.

"Castillano Faith and the smartest boy in any world, my Koushi!" Destiny's exuberant younger sister bubbled over as she tried to relieve Koushiro of a notepad and pen.

"Now I'd like to debate that! Mizuno Ami and my brilliant heartthrob, Ichijoji Ken."

"Well, Ken is smart, but my Daisuke is just plain cute, and for those of you don't know me, I'm Minako, Mina for short!"

"I think that's everyone." Hikari managed as she came up for air.

"You forgot one." Miyako said as she and Iori stepped out from behind a tree.

"It gives me great pleasure to introduce our newest couple, Miyako and Iori." Takeru said breathing deeply himself.

"Hey you guys, I've gotta know." Miyako curled up close to Iori. "How did you do that thing with the rose?"

"Well it was supposed to be a normal rose, but I suppose we should tell you guys this now." Hikari sighed before creating a sphere of light energy over her open palm. "You see, when we eight went to the digiworld so many years ago, we found that we were special."

"We were meant to be the last 'destined." Mimi said holding her hand over the grass causing it to dance as it reached for her before she surrendered her hand.

"We ended up getting all kinds of weird powers, including a kind of elemental for each of us. Mine is wind, Hikari's is light, things like that. Basically we girls combined our elementals. Destiny's earth to create the crystal, Mimi's life force to convince the flower." Sora shrugged. "In time, the flower will become completely crystalline."

"Oh no!" Miya cried thrusting it back to the older girls. "Change it back."

"So like us." Mimi said. Sora nodded as the strawberry blonde girl untangled herself both from Jyou and the grass. She quietly took Miyako's hand and placed it over the rose.

"I- I can feel it!" The younger girl stammered. "It's... happy to be this way." She said in surprise.

"Yes." Mimi said. "Roses pride themselves on their beauty, but they know it's only fleeting."

"But this one can stay beautiful forever." Iori murmured snuggling closer to Miya as she leaned against a tree. "Like you."

"The food's ready." Yamato said, kissing Destiny.

"Where are Iori and Miya?" Faith asked as the Chosen Children of Odiba began filling their plates.

Hikari glanced over her shoulder to see to new lovers cradling their rose, fast asleep in each others arms.

------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------

"Very nice." Arch said. "I see you've got Digimon, Sailor Moon, and a little Defender's Keep in there."

"And of course all you own are the Castillano sisters from Defender's Keep."

"You are correct! You've got a future as a writer, kid." Arch said before descending only to be passed by Hotaru lugging up two sleeping bags.

"Thanks, Arch chan!" She said giving him a peck on the cheek.

Arch smiled. "To be young and in love." he chuckled.