Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Enigma ❯ Double Encounter ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*******
Enigma
Part 2: "Double Encounter"
By Splash
*******

Hehe, I knew I wasn't the first (Thanks Regulus for pointing out his), and thank you so much for the reviews! They've motivated me enough to appreciate Frontier more in general, lol. And I've gotten several new ideas... ^^;

Takuya doesn't see Kouji fight the Pagumon in the original, but he does here... :-D I don't mean to make this fic completely based off the original series, but I may go through some events that happened in the show. Therefore, spoiler warning is still in heat. Pbbb... reminds me of Clare's "neuter Davis."

Disclaimer: Digimon Frontier and its characters belong to Toei, not me. This is fanmade material, and by freedom of speech and all sorts of other random laws wonderful America has, I have the right to make this kind of stuff, so don't try it. XD

****

What could I say? He was there again, and very... impressive. There was just no way to describe it, really. He fought off a huge pack of Pagumon that made my fight with Cerberumon look elementary. I couldn't explain the rush that enveloped me when I heard him.

One of the Pagumon changed into a huge ugly blob called Raremon, and the long bar in the boy's hands would obviously be useless.

I had to help him! Frantically, I jabbed the buttons on my Digivice, calling for my spirit. Raremon spewed disgusting green sludge out of his mouth, disintegrating everything in its path. Some of the sludge was headed for... Tomoki! I was too far away to save him...

And then... the unknown guy surprised me yet again. He grabbed Tomoki and took off, taking the younger boy away from danger. Raremon became even angrier and started shooting more radioactive gunk in their direction. The labyrinth we were stuck in was rather circular, and there was a large ravine in the center of the area.

The others stood around, unable to even think of a way to help them. Raremon aimed his shots with strategy, forcing the boy to slowly move toward the center. And soon enough, he found himself on the edge of the pit with nowhere else to go. All he could do now was hold onto Tomoki... None of us knew if the pit had a bottom...

Feck, I wanted to save him so badly... ' Let me evolve!'

" SPIRIT!!!" I screamed in frustration. My digivice glowed in response... it worked!

I stepped in just in time to take out an attack that might have killed him. As Agnimon, I shielded him against multiple attacks. All of a sudden, there was a huge flash of light, and then.... something seemed different. I looked back to see if the guy was safe, then realized I had changed back, as I was shorter than him. Why did I change back?

And his expression, he had the most startled look on his face... For a moment we simply started at each other, amazed to be in the other's presence. The moment was short lived, as another nuclear blast hurled toward us. I shoved myself in front of the others to force them down. There wasn't any time to calculate how much force to use, and I went too hard...

I had pushed him right into the ravine.

" Damn it!" There was no possible way I could reach him... only his scared expression left my mind reeling. What if I had just killed him? Was he falling to his death? Because of me???

I felt a huge sickness in the pit of my stomach. My fault... No, it wasn't happening, he didn't deserve it. I still wanted to know who he was... know more about him...

Then, the most peculiar scene appeared in my head.

I was looking up into the ever-clear sky, turmoil diminished from my consciousness. He was at my side, staring at me absent-mindedly. And then, he rolled over-- rather casually-- extending an arm to my other side. His face, still laced in his bandana, approached and he simply peered at me. It was astonishing how he didn't make a single trace of direct contact.

He had me pinned without even touching me.

The first word that I could think of was "succulent," but I had no idea why. I just knew that godDAMN, that gaze he gave me could have sent me into-

" SPIRIT EVOLUTION! WOLFMON!"

Hmm? That was certainly unique... The shout cleared my mind of my previous thoughts and I glanced in the general direction of the source of the sound: the pit. As if on cue, a blur of blue light shot out of the pit, and stopped in front of us. The stance, the aura of this creature... Was he...

****

Raremon was tar compared to Wolfmon of light. In a flash, he had surrendered to the digivice in Wolfmon's hands, reduced to a patch of data in the digital device.

He became exhausted when he reverted back to his normal self, as I did when I changed back from Agnimon the first time. He seemed so fragile at that moment, innocent, as if his inner personality had been released. Perhaps it was a empathetic reaction, but I knew that he had the same confused feeling that I had when I first evolved.

" Are you okay?" I said as I approached him, wanting to further express my thoughts, but he interrupted me with a choked, but strict, order.

" Don't touch me."

Dejected, I obeyed him, returning to my formal stance.

" Don't touch me," he repeated. He was gaining his sense of power again. I could tell that his attitude was going to kick back in. " I hate strangers who touch me. But don't give me gratitude for saving you."

He stood up and brushed the dust off him.

" We didn't ask for it," I said back at him.

He ignored it. " I'm Minamoto Kouji. And you?"

I didn't answer him for a while... I didn't feel the need to. It felt rather awkward, he was directing that question to me, and only me. The others in the labyrinth were blinking in awe at the scene that had played before them.

But it couldn't have just been because I was the only other one that evolved. I had met him before, he was the first I felt connected to in this world. The others were too... dull. Sure, they were kind (somewhat) and had lots of nice qualities, but there was something missing from them that I could only sense from Kouji.

" I just want to know your name, but we won't be talking much," he reasoned, snapping me out of my short trance.

" Kanbara Takuya," I uttered uselessly.

" Takuya," he said, as if imprinting it in his mind. He turned his back on us, casually flipping a hand in departure. " See you again."

As he left, Junpei suddenly jumped in front of me, commenting on how strange the guy was. Tomoki blinked blankly, and Izumi began complaining that she wanted out of the messy place. However, it was Kouji's final comment that kept my attention. " See you again..."

Was he actually interested in meeting me again? Another thought etched my mind... I knew him the most out of anyone in our group. That revelation alone mystified me. I had the greatest chance of figuring out who he was.

" Takuya, are you still alive?" Junpei waved his hand in my face. I must have spaced out.

" Oh, leave him alone, Junpei," Izumi said, arms behind her head. " He's probably daydreaming about his new beloved robin hood Kouji."

I turned around hastily and barked at her-- " I am NOT."

She stuck her tongue out at me. " Then he's still your beloved robin hood."

I was wordless for a moment, my blush rising instead of my voice. The hesitation was a bad move. " No, he isn't," I said in resistance, although the effect was not nearly as well as I hoped it to be. Izumi looked unconvinced, and me avoiding eye contact with her wasn't helping. The others seemed to be catching up to the situation... not good. I quickly changed subjects to leave the labyrinth, which none of them said a word of refusal to.

Yet, those words continued to play in my head... "Don't touch me." " See you again."

And for some reason, I couldn't wait to see him again...

****

The next chapter will have some interesting Takuya/Kouji progress if people so desire it. ~_^

Splash
http://gottaito.cjb.net