Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Harsh Memories ❯ Laughter and digimon ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Iori awoke with a pronounced stiffness in his back. In a few moments he realized why. He was still snuggled deep into Takeru's arms. He blushed slightly as he managed to squirm his way out of T.K.'s grasp. Iori smiled up at his friend. He couldn't remember the last time he had allowed anyone other then Miyako to hold him like that, and even then it was during his fathers death. He sighed quietly as he managed to settle himself into a more comfortable position. As he watched Takeru sleep half on the chair and half on Iori's bed he began to chuckle lightly.

Takeru awoke from his nap to the sound of soft laughter. As he opened his eyes he saw Iori smiling lightly at him while laughing. T.K. was extremely confused for a moment until he noticed exactly what position he was in. As he straightened up he also began to chuckle. He gently reached out and ruffled Iori's hair as he began to spasm with laughter. It was the first time in weeks that he had seen Iori actually laugh and the feeling became contagious. While they were busy they failed to hear light footsteps enter the room.

Yamato Ishida stood staring at his brother and his friend. He shrugged his shoulders as he released the two bundles that he had been carrying. Patamon flew instantly towards Takeru, stalling only to give his laughing human partner an odd glance. Upamon, however, was having difficulties. He couldn't seem to jump high enough to get over the rail of Iori's bed.

Eventually, Takeru calmed down enough to reach down and help the tan fluff ball into Iori's waiting arms. "So... what was so funny that the two of you didn't notice me entering the room?"

"Gomen, O-Nee-chan. I just found myself in an interesting position this morning," Takeru said while attempting to stifle his still lingering laughter.

"It's okay, although I am looking forward to a more in-depth explanation when we get you out of here and this is all over with. I just stopped by to ask you guys if either of you could remember anything that could help us find this guy." Yamato finished talking and walked over to where Takeru had been sitting. He hefted his younger brother up, and forced him to head over to his own bed. "I think you'll be more comfortable over here."

Takeru gave a weak smile before shaking his head, "Gomen, Yama-chan but neither of us can remember anything that will really help you out."

Yamato only shrugged Takeru's comment off as he began to smooth out T.K.'s hair. "It's fine if you guys can't think of anything, I was just asking. The most important thing now is that the two of you get your rest. I am going to come back in a few days so I will just leave the mons' with you two. Make sure you guys feed them," Yamato waved as he left the room.

---------(Five hours later)---------

Takeru shifted in his chair as he considered the cards in front of him. He threw three chips onto the growing pile on Iori's mattress. "I'll raise you three, Iori-chan," he mumbled while watching Patamon finish off the food he had been brought hours earlier.

Iori tossed his three chips onto the pile as he laid down his card. They had been trying to find different activities that they could do while staying marginally motionless and had finally settled on playing a few rounds of poker. Iori smiled happily as he scooped his newly obtained pile of chips towards him. "I've almost beat you again Takeru. How many will that make?"

"So far you've managed to clean me out five times Iori-chan," Takeru smiled as he scratched the back of his head. He managed to reshuffle the cards, and began to deal them out. "If you manage to beat me another time... I'll take you out for ice cream the second we get out of here, O.K.?" Takeru asked as he dealt Iori's hand.

"Is that six times total, or in a row?"

"Total, why?"

"Well, since I already beat you a few hours ago when we where first looking around the room for something to do so..."

"Okay Iori-chan! You win already," Takeru laughed as he looked over his cards.

Takeru couldn't help but admit that the last few hours had been some of the best of his life. Even with the slight amount of pain he has been feeling, he was reveling in the joy that Iori seemed to take in just being around him. He smiled as he began their betting process again.

At the same time, Iori was also thinking about how much fun he had been having. With his O-Kaa-san's working all the time and his O-Jii-san getting weaker and weaker, He had been feeling really lonely lately. He appreciated the fact that Takeru had made such an effort to both entertain him and also to ensure that he wasn't engaged in too much physical activity. However at the same time he was extremely confused. Takeru had never ever paid so much attention to him. Iori began to try to puzzle through his own muddled emotions at this point and began to tune out the card game. He began to smile as he thought of all the times Takeru had either helped him or noticed his attempts to be heard in the group. He figured Takeru must have been sympathetic with him since he was once the youngest as well.

Takeru reached out and shakes Iori gently. " You okay Iori-kun? I've never seen you space out like this before."

"I'm fine Takeru-chan, " Iori replied quickly trying to hide the slight blush that had started to spread as soon as Takeru had used the personal moniker on him.

Takeru smiled back at his friend as he spread his cards down. "Full house! For once I've

actually won one, " he announced happily.

A/N well the pace will be slowing slightly from here on in. We've finally arrived at the point where Iori and Takeru are beginning to work through their feelings for each other so, this story will begin to focus more towards their emotional states and less towards their physical conditions (this also means I can no longer use the wonderful writers gimmick that is "Fainting characters" ^_^)

Yoshiki