Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ He Looks Like Them ❯ Mindgames ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I wish I did, but I don't own anything here. This also takes place inside the first season, but think of it as an alternate kinda thing.

-----------------------------
He Looks Like Them
Ch 1--Mindgames
-----------------------------

It was in the middle of the hallway in their school, just after they'd been let out on break for a bit. People were everywhere and some shoving each other around to get wherever it is they were going while a certain, and their only, leader was talking to a friend of his. "Tai, what the heck is wrong with you?!" Sora barely managed to say as her friend was acting odd. She crossed her arms and gave him an angry stare until he answered.

It's like she kept following him, way too focused on his behavior. "What do you mean? You're the one always bugging me." he made a wavy motion with his hand like he was saying shoo.

She started turning red and grinded her teeth subtly, "I'm not-"

"Just take your stupid love crest and go 'hang out' with Matt." he interrupted her with a smirk. He was bored, he was wanting to mess with someone all day and it just happened to be his red-haired friend to get the treatment he didn't actually want to give her for some reason.

"Jerk!" she huffed and he felt a sudden sting across his face accompanied by a pop sound. He almost lost hearing to the buzzing for a second and had to re-recognize that she had slapped him.

Turning away to say something, he saw that she was already heading down the hall to the next class, and he had a few other kids staring at him now. He shrugged them off with a thin growl and went to the bathroom. "Stupid girl." he said under his breath when he saw the hand shaped mark on his cheek, though it disappeared entirely within a second. He grimaced into his reflection as, oddly enough, his eyes changed color for a second. He hadn't actually meaned to think that of her, but she had a better slap than he knew.

"Tai, what happened out there?" Tai turned around and saw his short, spikey haired friend Izzy watching him, "What was that about with Sora?" The boy snuck up on him while he was watching himself.

Since he was asking him first, he turned to lying without a second thought. "Just a....misunderstanding, I didn't say anything to make her mad." he sighed and got ready to walk back out. He grabbed his bag and checked his face one last time with a blank look.

Izzy watched him a little more closely than he usually did, his attitude was off. "You know, Adam's absent again today." the computer boy spoke, and Tai looked at him with a question on his face. "That's a week now, we really should run by his house today." Izzy was talking about a new boy at the school they had come to like.

A streak of worry crossed his face, "A week? Yeah, we'll check on him later." He really had no idea what else to say, seeing as how Izzy was the one who broke the awkward moment, "Uh, I gotta get to class, later Izzy."

"Yeah, we'll meet up when school ends?" he posed more as a question. Izzy waited for the apparent leader to nod his head before leaving the room and heading back to class.

Tai released a sigh and frowned at the frizzy haired boy leaving, "He's going to get annoying soon." He noticed a clock and left too, maybe to get in a minute late, he did have to act normal after all.

There weren't any of his friends in class, so everything went smoothly to the end of the school day, even if it was almost painfully boring. As soon as the bell rang, most of the students bolted out as Tai remembered he was supposed to meet everyone. He groaned and leaned against a locker to think for a second, then decided he didn't want to. He ended up leaving through one of the school's side exits and on home, even coming up with a small idea that made him laugh a little. It even made his face redden a bit for some reason in a blush.

He continued toward home and drifted into his own thoughts for a few minutes until a voice broke into them, "Tai, you're supposed to meet up with the others." The sudden voice actually almost made him jump.

Twisting around, he turned around to see Sora, someone he wished he didn't have to look at again today, "Why are you following me?" He had an oddly calm and quiet tone and expression.

She ended up staring knives at him again, "You, what's with your attitude today?" She wanted to hit him again, but wanted more to know what was wrong.

He stood quiet, thinking about something. She had her hands on her hips and stared as he said nothing. She went to speak again, but he held up a finger to show he was thinking, "Eh, may as well." Finally, he sighed, "Call my house."

She blinked, "What, why?" With hands still on hips, she lost the glare and raised an eyebrow.

"Just call there, it'll be weird." he said with an uncharacteristic smile and she was starting to feel a little weirded out. This was only the second time today for them to see each other, but he really wasn't acting at all like Tai.

"Uh, okay." She took out her cell and called his house, but didn't turn her back on him now. Sora hated the distrust, but she was slowly becoming afraid of him.

The house phone rang a couple of times before she heard the click of it being picked up, "Hello?" his mom answered from the other side. "Is this one of Tai's friends?"

"Hi, this is Sora." she spoke into the phone, having turned to the side as she talked and still had a hand on her hip.

"Oh, hello Sora. Did you want to talk to him?" Sora thought she heard something sizzling in the background, his mom was making something again. "He's kind of sick though."

"What?" Her eyes widened, "Um, he's there?" She turned and looked at the boy who was actually at home.

She could hear his mom sigh followed by some random clicking sounds, but she didn't care about them. "Yes, he has a stomach bug today. Is everything alright?" she asked as Sora stared at "Tai" nervously.

"Yes m'am, everything's okay." she lied and turned to face him again, still faking the nice voice. "I'll be by later to see him. Bye." Sora said and hung up. She stared at him in confusion rather than anger now and slowly put her phone away. "Who are you?" She just realized she should have had Biyomon with her, the pink bird would be able to deal with this fake.

He shrugged boredly, "Right now, I'm Tai. Who else looks like this?" He looked over himself, checking the details, "I'm pretty sure I got everything right, I only decided to let you know the weird part. Otherwise, you wouldn't find out, you know?"

She backed up a step and began to glare lightly at him, set in a running position, "Why do you look like him?"

"Ah, watch this." he grinned and his whole body, even his clothes, became like standing liquid.

She got out her digivice, "Everyone, hurry and find me!" She stayed and watched, but from a safe distance. The details of the fake moved around in portions to give the shape a different build, then color began to return. He didn't turn into water, but everything shifted and solidified into another person....Mimi?

He or she took a breath and smiled, "So, what do you think?" it spoke in an exact mimic of Mimi's voice and looked himself over to make sure everything was right.

"Wha...shapeshifter? What are you really?!"

"I'm not gonna tell." he said in sing song as Sora felt subsided annoyance returning. "What's the matter, does this form make you feel....inadequate?"

That stupid smile didn't belong to Mimi, and Sora ran up to grab him by the now pink shirt, "Shut up!"

He smiled again, "Why don't you make me?" Staring, Mimi tilted her head, "I guess I can understand the anger, after all, you have a crest that really has nothing to do with you." Sora didn't want to, but she was listening to him, or it. "I'm not trying to mess with your head, but no one likes you like that."

"SHUT UP!" Sora slapped him across the face hard and he fell over.

"Sora!" She turned and saw the others, and they just saw her slap what they thought was Mimi.

Her hands were held in front of her, trying to tell them, "Wait, I swear it isn't what it looks like, that's not Mimi!"

Whoever it was, Mimi started tearing up and looked up at Sora, "Why'd you hit me, did I do something?" Mimi started rubbing her face where a bright red mark was present.

"Quiet you!" Sora was close to screaming.

Matt raised his voice, "What do you mean that's not her?! She's crying, why'd you hit her?!"

"Because it's not her, it looked like Tai a minute ago...why won't you listen?" As soon as Sora asked, Mimi broke out into sobs and staring at the ground.

Matt went over to help her up and Sora just stared. Matt sighed, "Sora, go home. We'll meet up with you later."

"W-what? But I'm going with all of you to check on Adam..." She was stunned, "They really don't believe me!"

"We'll tell you how he is later, please just go home." He helped Mimi stand and turned around.

The red head stared at him, feeling tears form as she turned and ran. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start this." Mimi said.

Matt looked at her, "You didn't, but we'll figure it out. Now come on, let's check on Adi." Matt had started calling Adam "Adi" a few days after meeting.

They all, minus Sora, walked to a small house a few blocks from the apartment complex they all live at. Adam inherited a good bit of money from his parents and has his own house, which is why a few of them like going over. Joe knocked, then rang the doorbell when no one answered, "Adam it's Joe and the others, you there?"

There still wasn't an answer. "He didn't show up at school, so he has to be here." Izzy said, then remembered something, "Oh wait, he said we could use a key stuck in the dirt at the left corner of his house.

TK walked over to the left and started moving around in the bushes. "TK, you're going to get dirty." Matt said, but his brother had already dug into the soil.

"Found it!" TK shouted and ran up to unlock the door. They opened it, but not one came to the door.

Matt knocked on the wall kinda loud, "Yo Adi, wake up before one of us has to go in your room!"

Still no answer, "This is strange, who's going to check?" Izzy asked, before noticing they all backed up a step, "Oh thanks you guys, why don't you just push me then?" He sighed and went up the stairs to one of the two bedrooms, knocking once more. Still no answer, so he opened it slowly...and there wasn't anyone in there. "Hmm, did he change rooms?" He checked the other one, but it was still an empty room, "Guys, he's not here!"

"What, wait..." Matt ran up the stairs and helped Izzy look as the other checked around. A few minutes later, "He's really not here. Maybe he left to get something."

TK walked out of Adam's room holding something, "Hey Matt, what're these magazines about?"

"What are you-TK, GIMME THOSE!" Matt grabbed them and put them back.

The kid brother pouted and whined, "What's wrong, they just had ladies on the pages!"

The others started laughing, except Mimi, who blushed like crazy and turned for the door, "Uh, I still feel weird about earlier, so I'm gonna go."

"Oh, well we'll all head home together then." Joe said, but she shook her head.

"Actually I think I'll find a quiet place for a while, see you guys later." She left the house and went in the opposite direction of the apartments. She knew a couple of them watched her for a minute, most likely worrying. She went around a corner and took another path around the block to get to the other side of the apartments.

She knocked on a certain door, and heard shuffling followed by a voice, "Who is it?" Sora's voice.

"It's Matt, can I come in?" the Mimi thing did something to make her voice sound different and heard Sora come to the door.

The knob sounded as it turned and opened, "Matt, how was.....Mimi? Wait, it's you, isn't it?" Sora gave her a threatening look and closed the door.

Mimi caught it with her boot, "I just wanna talk." This time it wasn't Matt's voice, nor was it any of the team. It was lighter pitched, it sounded a bit like Joe.

"What are you...." she backed up as Mimi pushed her way in and started changing again, though this time she changed into a boy. He had ruffled dark red hair that went to his ears, blue eyes, and a horribly familiar face that told her who it really was. "......Adam."

End

Next Chapter---Human Digimon