Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ How to Tell You ❯ Broken Heart ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 7: To Spare Your Love

Takato sighed, dejected at what had happened. If he'd even suspected for a moment that Ruki had meant what she'd said, he would have never tried to make up. But she didn't want that, and Renamon wouldn't allow the risk.

"I suppose she has good reason," he muttered, drawing a picture of her, without even realizing it. "But doesn't she know love isn't something you just turn on and off? If she loves me like I love her, she shouldn't be able to even act like this."

He glanced down, and flipped the page. He had to get his mind off of her, and the easiest way to do that was Digimon. "But I can't even imagine what Megalo Growmon's Ultimate level should be like," he said, looking out the window. He knew Juri hated him, and Ruki was little better. His hand was sketching, though, and when he looked down, he wanted to rip the page apart.

It was Juri Katou, the girl who had accused him of misleading her feelings just yesterday. "That long," he muttered, the question posed to no one. "She said I'd been leading her on for five years, and I have to wonder, could she be right?"

"Look at them," Lee said, smiling as he looked at Takato. "So carefree. It's really nice to see them having fun."

"Come on," Takato said, a forced smile on his face. "It's all they know, Jen."

"Yeah." A moment of silence followed, as Guilmon and Terriermon played with each other. "I've been thinking, Takato. You know the annual camping trip, right?"

"Yeah, it's coming up in a few days," Takato said. "What about it?"

"I think I'm going to take Terriermon," he said, looking out towards the sunset. "Maybe you could take Guilmon?"

"What!?" Takato's face twisted in a look of shock if his teacher saw Guilmon. "Well, I guess I could figure out a way to get him there. But are you sure it's a good idea?"

"Well, they've been fighting a lot lately," Lee said, turning back into the shelter.

"They aren't the only ones," Takato muttered, hoping his friend wouldn't hear.

"I just thought, they deserve a break," he finished. "Sort of a vacation."

"Yeah," Takato said. "We could all use a vacation."

"We just wanted to, sort of, give them a vacation," Takato said, looking just aside from Juri's eyes. But the way Guilmon was squirming under him, it was harder then he'd hoped.

"Oh," she said. "That's a really nice idea. Takato, sometimes you're a really sweet guy."

"Does this mean you still want me," Takato said, lowering his voice. "Or am I just imagining things?"

"What about Ruki," Juri said, turning away. "I don't want to be second to anyone, Takato."

"I know," Takato said. "Look, Ruki doesn't want me anymore. I think she was just playing on me to help herself feel better. Juri, it was wrong of me to act that way towards you. I . . . I want to make it up to you."

"We'll see," Juri said, softly. "After the trip."

"This is really a nice, restful vacation," Takato said. "A great chance away."

"Yeah," Lee said. "Of course, if Ruki were here, she'd probably have us fighting trees to stay prepared."

"Stupid trees," Takato said. "She'd have us fighting 'stupid trees'."

"Takato, I've been meaning to ask you," Lee started, but was interrupted by Guilmon.

The events of the rest of the day were busy, Lee reflected, as they finally headed home. First Impmon debating about the problems with Tamers, then Shinduramon showed up in force. Terriermon and Guilmon chased him, and Lee had to track him down to the hydroelectric plant a few miles away. They'd won, but something felt wrong about Takato's behavior.

"Takato, before we go," Lee said. "I have to ask you this: Is everything all right between you and Ruki?"

"Of - of course," Takato blurted out. "Although I don't see why you would know about it."

"Renamon," Lee said. "Takato, if something is wrong, tell me. I won't judge you."

"I don't want to talk about it," Takato said, narrowing his eyes. "I don't want to have anything to do with her anymore."

"Renamon, what's wrong?"

"I told you there would be problems if you cut him off," Renamon said, narrowing her eyes. "Ruki, he isn't acting like himself, and you aren't acting like yourself. Apologize, and let him know you made a mistake. If he really cares about that other girl, then your apologies won't matter to him."

"And if he doesn't?"

"Then you were wrong," Renamon said, reaching towards her partner. "Ruki, people aren't meant to live alone."

"You've been listening to my grandmother, haven't you?"

"I'm always watching you," Renamon said. "As partners, we protect each other."

"Fine," Ruki said. "But he probably took my advice. He probably doesn't want anything to do with me, even if he didn't go to her."

"I think you'll find that I'm right on this," Renamon said, vanishing.

"Juri, I . . . I really like you," Takato said, looking down at her. "It's just, I don't know if I'm entirely prepared for this."

"Don't worry," she said. "We can take it slowly if you want."

"Thank you, for understanding," Takato said, wrapping his arms around her. "You're a great friend, Juri."

Ruki knew where he would be, and went there. She even had a full apology prepared, before she headed there. She recited it again before she went into the park, and swallowed her pride. Sometimes, strong wasn't the best approach.

"Fuck you, Takato Matsuda," she shouted, seeing him across the park. "And I hope I never see you again!"

Takato turned towards her, and wordless shock filled his face. He winced as if she'd stabbed him, and watched her run away. "Good riddance," she said, fighting back the tears. "I should have known he didn't really care. He played with my feelings, and now he left me just like. . ." She gasped as she ran into someone.

"Ruki? Is that you?" Lee looked at her, and saw the tears she was fighting back. He could only think of one thing to do. He wrapped his arms around her, offering comfort to a friend. "If you want to talk about it, I'm here."

Ruki felt the arms around her, and just let go. "Jen, I . . . I should have known he didn't care. Nobody cares about me except Renamon. He lied to me, just like everyone else."

Lee sighed, and just held her. He didn't have anything to say, or any reason to speak. A good friend sometimes needs to be an ear instead of a mouth.

"Jen, you're always there," she said, opening her eyes, and reaching around him. "You're such a good friend, and you don't judge. Jen, I need, I need your help. I want to show that goggle boy what he's doing to me. Will, will you?"

He was supposed to help, but didn't know how. He couldn't answer, and yet he also couldn't refuse. "I'll try," he said, letting his partiality go. Takato was hurting her, a lot. And he was opening old wounds too. She needed his help, even if he didn't support revenge. "No. I will help, Ruki. I promise."

"Thank you."

Author's Notes:

This is primarily out of episodes, but for two scenes from Episode 16. It starts before and ended after wards. It all takes place before Episode 17.

Some changes have been made to characterizations to preserve the story, over the series. Apologies to any who are offended.