Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ How to Tell You ❯ Maybe This Way? ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

How to Tell You

Pairing: Ruki + Takato

Chapter 1 - Maybe This Way?

"Why won't that stupid goggle boy stay out of my mind," Ruki muttered, looking over her cards. She needed to prove her strength even more, even if it was only to him. "I'm the Digimon Queen... but is it possible he could be my King?"

"Perhaps there's more to it than mere power," Renamon said, invading Ruki's thoughts. "Perhaps you find yourself truly attracted to him."

"Who asked you," Ruki snapped. "If it were anything like that, I would know it."

"Fine," Renamon replied. "I'll leave you alone to think about it. But maybe you just don't want to admit it."

"(Could she be right? I mean, he's certainly not my type, but sometimes the way he stands up to me puts him in a whole new light... and he's sort of cute in that light too.)" She smiled as she packed her cards, and walked outside. "I'll call you if anything comes up, Renamon."

"Wait a minute, Takato, you actually know the Digimon Queen?" This was Hirokazu, who was already starting to get suspicious about the time Takato had stopped spending with them. "Are you sure you're telling us everything, or is there more than just knowing?"

"Come on, Hirokazu," Takato said, embarrased. "I don't even really know what you're talking about."

"If you say so," Hirokazu said. "So, you up for a card battle?"

"No, I have to get home for dinner. I'm already late enough as it is, and if I'm much later, Mom will throw a fit." Takato smirked as he thought of something. "But tomorrow we can play, I promise."

"Yeah, sure," Hirokazu said. "Tomorrow."

As Takato hurried home, he couldn't help but think about Ruki, even in the way that he knew Hirokazu was talking about. "As harsh as she can be, I can't believe I could feel this way for her," he muttered, stopping at a crosswalk. As the light xcchanged, he thought of something else. "But maybe she's like a traffic light... it changes from being dangerous to safe with time."

"He said he saw me in his dream," Ruki said, watching as the Digital Field approached her. "Well let's hope he has sweet dreams tonight. Come on, Renamon, we have a battle ahead of us!"

"Of course," Renamon said, nearing the field.

"So, who do we battle tonight, I wonder?"

As Takato lay down in bed, he closed his eyes to get some sleep. "After all, tomorrow I have to take care of Guilmon and still have time for a card battle with Hirokazu."

"(Hey... that's Yashamon... I have his card,)" he thought as he saw a form in his mind. "Am I.. dreaming?" He looked around. "I must be... but it's like that other time... with Lynxmon."

"Yashamon, huh? An armored Digimon is no match for you, isn't that right, Renamon?"

"We'll see," Renamon said, looking at her foe. "But I doubt he'll prove any challenge." She leapt up, unleashing a flurry of punches at his face, then standing on her hands there for a moment before flipping to land behind him.

"Gordian Knot," Yashamon said, turnign around and knocking his two swords together towards Renamon. He was wasting no time in starting the battle in earnest, and he wasn't weak either. Renamon was barely able to evade.

"Don't worry, Ruki, I'll handle it," she said, leaping into the air. Yashamon was ready for that approach, though, and raised his swords to get her. He hadn't expected her to land ahead of him, and was knocked down as her foot connected with his gut. "Take that."

"Not good enough, Renamon," Ruki said, smiling. "Power Charger," she said, pulling out the card. "Card slash!" She ran it through her D-Arc, boosting Renamon's power through the card. "All right, now keep fighting."

"Of course," Renamon said. She didn't pull her punches, but Yashamon was easily a rival to her speed with his swords. She was on the defensive as often qaas not, and getting tired of it. Leaping into the air, she pulled her limbs in, charging for her special attack. Letting out, she launched it. "Fox Leaf Arrowhead!"

"So much for Yashamon," Takato said, watching the attack pour down on him. "Oh well... but is there a reason that I keep dreaming about her, and not some other Tamer? Is it just that she's the only one who goes out like this at night?"

"This one's for the goggle boys," Ruki said, pulling out another card. "All right Renamon, let's show Yashamon what we've really got! Aegis." She held out the card and prepared to do the slash. "Card slash!"

As the armor appeared, Renamon continued fighting Yashamon, who had withstood the attack. She kept punching, wishing Ruki had chosen a speed plug-in, but knew it was pointless to wish at this point. Yashamon's right sword broke under the oncoming barrage, and Renamon still wouldn't stop, but neither would he. She flipped, kicking him in the chin as she did so, and knocking him to the ground.

"Finish him, Renamon!"

"Fox Leaf Arrowhead!" This time the battle was over. Yashamon faded into Data, which Renamon abosorbed. "You seem to have come to terms with your feelings," Renamon said as she looked at Ruki. "For the goggle boy."

"Quiet," Ruki said, staring at the scene around her. "That's better." She just stood there for a moment, and thought.

"What's she doing," Takato wondered, looking down at Ruki. "I've never seen her like this before... she almost looks, sad? Is that even possible from her? I mean, she's the Digimon Queen... just watching her makes me feel worthless now."

"I don't know, goggle boy," Ruki said, looking up. "Maybe you can hear me, somehow... I don't know how to explain it, but... I like you. I don't care about you though, I just think you look kind of cute."

"M... me? This is unexpected," Takato said, feeling like someone had just frozen his insides.

"But when we fight, I won't go easy. So next time we battle, you'd best be prepared." And then, Takato's dream ended, leaving him an undisturbed sleep, haunted not by Ruki's last words, but by her confession.