Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ How to Tell You ❯ Sweet Sorrow ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

How to Tell you
Chapter 5: Sweet Sorrow

"Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow." (Juliet Capulet)

As Renamon took Takato back to the park, she said nothing, and seemed very pleased. "Thank you," she finally said, leaving him behind a tree. "For everything." She leapt into the tree, and disappeared, and Takato turned to look for his friends.

He saw Hirokazu and Kenta heading over to play a card battle, and he ran up to them. "Hey, guys! You couldn't wait for me?"

"You disappeared for almost an hour," Kenta said. "Where were you?"

"I'll bet he ran off to see the Digimon Queen," Hirokazu said.

"I... well, it's just," he hunted for an explanation, then thought of something. "I just remembered that my mom needed me to run an errand right after school."

"All right," Hirokazu said. "But I'm watching you from now on. I mean, first you needed to know where she lives and now you just disappear on us after you played against the Digimon Queen? And that time you claimed Digimon were real. Are you still gonna insist on that?"

"If you must know, I had to buy some sauce for dinner tonight," Takato said. "And I could care less whether or not you believe me about Digimon being real. So, up for a card battle?" As he headed into their hangout, he had to think though, "(I'll have to tell them sometime. I just have to be careful about it.)" He still remembered what Hirokazu had said when he was trying to find Ruki a few weeks earlier.

School had just gotten out, and the three were talking about the not too far removed Card Battle tournament. Hirokazu and Kenta had gotten into a debate over whether or not Hirokazu would stand even the least chance against the Digimon Queen, and had even mentioned that she lived in the area.

"I have to find her," Takato said, pulling himself to his senses.

"Huh? You have to do what?" Hirokazu's eyes were narrowed a bit, in shock at what he thought he'd just heard.

"Where does she live? I need her." Takato was desperate now, almost panicked. He needed the information.

"Dude, I can't believe what you just said," Kenta said, his eyes wide in shock. "Did you just say you need a girl?"

"You're out of the club, buddy," Hirokazu said, focusing his gaze. "Hello?"

Takato flashed back to the present, and closed his eyes. It was no use. Until he could nail Kenta or Hirokazu about wanting a girl, he couldn't risk it. He didn't want to lose his friends over a relationship he might as well have kept a secret. He had to try to introduce Ruki to his friends in a more normal manner. She wouldn't fit too well with the club, but she might at least be able to teach Hirokazu a thing about the tournament.

"All right," Hirokazu said, tapping on Takato's head. "I said I'll play you again, goggle-brain. So let's play."

"Oh, yeah," Takato said. He shook off the thought of Ruki, then went to play the game.

As they left, Takato was shocked at the time. "Whoah! I've gotta hurry home," he said. "(And get Guilmon his food... I hope he's not mad that it's so late.)" He ran home, desperate to come up with a proper excuse for it.

"Guilmon," Takato said, looking at his partner. "Now that we're back on track, I have all sorts of new combos I want to try. What do you say?" The ground shook slightly, disturbing Takato for a moment. "And all these attacks too. And maybe a team name? Something like the Amazing Duo, y'know." The ground shook again, more noticeably. "What was that?"

"It's coming," Guilmon thought, looking towards the twin towers of Hypnos in the distance. He could smell a powerful Digital force approaching, not a Digimon, but similar to them. "Takato, where did you go earlier today?"

"Huh?" Takato shuddered for a moment, trying not to recall his time with Ruki too clearly. "Renamon took me to talk with Ruki."

"That's what I thought," Guilmon said. "You smell like them both. Even your breath smells like Tamer Ruki. Did you try to eat her?"

"No," Takato said. "Look, you have to keep this a secret from Juri and everyone else, but I . . . I kissed her. I think I really like Ruki, Guilmon. But please, keep this a secret. Please."

"Okay," Guilmon said, indifferent to the whole situation.

Takato felt something happening, and looked up. "The sky," he said, watching a strange vortex appear.

"Takato, something is coming," Guilmon said, his lips rising in a growl. He didn't know how he knew what he knew, but he did. "A Digimon. And it's really big."

Takato sighed, disappointed yet amazed. The vortex seemed strangely familiar, but he couldn't remember where from. "I think we're in for a lot of trouble, Guilmon. A whole lot of trouble."

Author's Notes:

- The first flashback takes place during Episode 3 (Battle is a Digimon's Life).

- The final scene is modified and filled from Episode 13 (A Sinister Foreboding) of Digimon Tamers.

Please forgive the shortness of this chapter. I don't write a lot of Tamers stuff, but I'll try to get back into the habit as I continue How to Tell You.