Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Just Let me be in Love ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I own neither Digimon, nor this song performed by Tracy Byrd. Both are used with the utmost respect for their creators.

A/N: It's been a long time since I've done a songfic, but this seemed to be one Sam was excited about. So, presto, a songfic b-day present.

Dai's point of view. It's kind of disjointed and rambling. It's supposed to be. It's thoughts caught in a song, not a perfect, written-to-appease-the-English-teacher narrative.

Grammatical errors are intentional. I don't think Daisuke's as stupid as he seems, but he's not an English major either, folks.

***

/My breath is short, my heart is beating fast
Every time I smile it hurts, she's smiling back/

Unbelievably, amazingly, surprisingly, Hikari chose me. In case you couldn't tell, it surprised me more than everyone else combined. But suddenly one day I was the luckiest guy in Japan, maybe even the whole world.

/If I'm dreaming please just let me sleep
Anyone can see that she's too good for me/

It's kind of cowardly I guess, but I've never asked her why. I'm afraid to. Stupid Courage insignia is sure doing a lot of good now.

That was sarcasm, by the way.

It's just that, I'm afraid if I ask her I'll jinx it, and whatever twist of fate brought her to me will take her away again just as quickly. And I don't think I could deal with that.

/Oh, give her time. She'll find out soon enough
Just let me have and hold her 'til she does/

I don't think me or anyone else ever noticed just how perfect she is. The way she fits in my arms is like she was meant to be there, and when I'm with her everything in the world is fine. They could set off a nuke a block away and I wouldn't even notice.

/What we've got going on is so incredible
This chemistry between us feels so wonderful/

I... I think it's not just a crush. I mean, after a while I knew what I felt for her when we were younger was a silly crush, but... I don't think it's just a crush anymore.

/But knowing me I'll probably
Find a way the mess it up/

Gah, I'm turning into a sappy romantic, noticing things like how happy she gets when I bring her even a dinky little present, and how her eye color changes a bit depending on what she's wearing, and how she hums songs she likes without meaning to. I shouldn't be this obsessed, this quickly. I'll freak her out and it'll be over.

/Who knows, who cares, right now
Just let me be in love/

'This is important. Please, please, please, whoever's listening up there, please don't let me screw tonight up.'

/Don't concern me with reality
Don't convince me she's too heavenly/

Gods, she's beautiful. I don't think my stuttering it out did justice to how beautiful I think she is right now. I don't even really believe in gods that much, but Hikari must be some sort of divine person.

/Forget the future disregard the past
Those are questions I don't wanna ask/

'Just focus.. Don't trip, not in front of the whole school. You can manage to dance decent for once. It's prom for crying out loud, you can do this Dai...'

/Oh, to my heart all that matters is tonight
Just let me live this moment in her eyes/

She has the softest, most wonderful lips in the whole world.

Not that I have much of a basis for comparison.

I think, if I just fell over dead while kissing her, they'd bury me with a big, stupid looking smile stuck on my face.

/What we've got going on is so incredible
This chemistry between us feels so wonderful/

I wanna tell her. I gotta tell her. I gotta tell everyone, get up and scream from rooftops how much I love her.

I can't. Can'tcan'tcan'tcan't. I'll scare her away and lose her.

I think I love her.

/But knowing me I'll probably
Find a way the mess it up/

Taichi came to me once. He threatened me with all sorts of nasty things, mostly involving my being pummeled, if I ever hurt Hikari. Right, like I'd do that.

/Who knows, who cares, right now
Just let me be in love/

And that's when I started thinking. If he's that concerned for her, maybe, just maybe... It's stupid and not at all possible and she's far too good to ever care about an idiot like me, but maybe.. she could love me too.

/Who knows, who cares, right now
Just let me be in love/