Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Kiss the Girl ❯ Kiss the Girl ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The sun was peeking out through the clouds on a crisp winter day in Odaiba. Right through the school windows, laying to rest upon the desk of Sora Takenouchi, atop her algebra worksheet to be exact. The numbers weren't computing in her brain. She raised her pencil for the third time that day, and once again, she laid it rest again. She checked the clock hanging on the wall, in the small, cold classroom. She threw a glance towards her instructor, who was surveying the class as he paced back and forth in the front of the class. No, it wasn't a test. In fact it was Study Hall, and she had an hour to do whatever she wished, which assumedly was homework, and Sora knew she should be studying, but her mind kept straying from the numbers and letters strewn upon her paper. She finally put away her algebra work. She'd do it at home. She couldn't concentrate here. Too much was on her mind. As she unzipped her English binder to reveal the confusing sentence translations, her mind traveled to the digital world. Biyomon, her constant companion, and, her digidestined friends. In reality, she was supposed to be translating words into the past tense, but in her mind she sorted her feelings towards each digidestined. First there was Taichi Kamiya, the hotheaded "leader" of the group. He'd been her friend forever, always a team player, always there. Did she really care for him romantically? Or was it just as a brother and sister? She honestly knew she could never love Tai as a boyfriend. So why was she dating him? Because, she told herself, she needed love. When he'd told her he'd had a crush on her for some time, she jumped at the chance, and pushed away her true feelings, telling herself Taichi was perfect, that she would love no other. She knew that Taichi didn't love her. He liked her, yes, but she knew it wasn't true love. But never the less, she continued to tell herself so. She knew it wouldn't last. Her true feelings would shine through, sooner or later. Next came Mimi Tachikawa. The slightly (OK, a lot) boppy, trendy girl who was her only girl friend in the digital world. From her pink hair to her miniskirts, Sora knew she wasn't anything like herself, but some how they were friends. I suppose she's my best friend... Thought Sora sullenly, although she never really considered Mimi a friend. more like, an acquaintance, but Sora knew she could never really reveal her deepest thoughts to her as she did with Taichi, or... or Matt. Next was Matt. Yamato Ishida. Boy, how many times she'd heard that name lately. He was every where, on the radio, on TV, on posters, doodles of him on friends' papers, and, although she hated to admit it, his name on her own papers. No, she didn't like him because he was a rock star, that was something completly different. She liked him for being him. Although no one really knew who "he" really was, she liked him. Did she love him? She wasn't sure. All she knew was that he was always on her mind, and she never could stop thinking of him. She looked up from the excruciatingly boring English assignment to gaze longingly at the back of his head. He sat in the third row, 1 seat to the left and 2 rows in front of Sora's desk. She noticed how tall he was, having to fold his long legs into the tiny chair. Her eyes traveled up his body to his golden hair. Oh how she loved to see the sunlight creating a halo upon his hair. She sighed dreamily. The bell rang, waking her up to harsh reality. She zipped her English binder back up, disappointed that she hadn't gotten any work done, but happy she had P.E. with him next.
In the girls' locker room there was a commotion. "Oh my word, did you see how he looked at her in the hall?!!!" Sora looked up. She knew they were talking about Matt, but who had he looked at? "Who?" She asked quizzically. Deep inside she felt the smallest bit jealous. Who was this girl that had caught his eye? "Yamato, silly." Atari giggled. Sora shook her head. "No, I mean who was he looking at in the hall?" Atari looked at Mikoto, and they both giggled again. "You mean to tell me," Mikoto raised an eyebrow at Sora. "that you didn't notice?" Sora was deeply confused. "No... who was it?" Atari's jaw dropped, and Mikoto laughed. "You!" Now Sora felt dizzy. She felt the blood rushing to her face as her tan complexion turned a bright shade of red. "R..really?" She asked, feeling as though she needed to sit down. "Yeah! He totally seemed... I don't know... hypnotized or something!" Atari said, sitting down next to Sora on the bench. "I am SO jealous!" Mikoto giggled. "But super happy for you!" Sora's head was whirling. She hadn't heard a thing Mikoto had just said. She was a mush of emotions, from happiness to confusion. Her P.E. instructor called them out. As they lined up for roll call, she stole a glance towards Matt. He was looking straight at Sora! He smiled softly in her direction. Once again she felt the the familiar feeling as her face became red as a lobster's, and she quickly looked down. Not too far down the line, a smug girl by the name of Yoko glared furiously. She'd seen both the incident in the hall, as well as this one. She tossed her hair over her shoulder. She was going to do something about it. After P.E. they both had homeroom together. Her eyes narrowed. Her devious mind's wheels were turning. She soon devised a plan. She'd skip out on the rest of P.E. and sabatoge the classroom... yes! It was perfect! Soon Yamato would realize Sora was no good for him. He would be Yoko's. She clenched her fists, and began to mentally prepare.
Matt sauntered into homeroom only to find himself staring dumbly at the board. There, written sloppily (as though with the wrong hand), yet in boldly, were the words: "SORATO WILL NOT LAST!" His head began to ache, his hands became sweaty, his heart began to throb. He turned around to face the class. He scanned the faces. His eyes laid to rest on Yoko Li. There was something just too, innocent. She smiled sweetly, and flipped her hair back. He afixed his deep azure eyes into a menacing glare. Her smile vanished, and her irises shrunk. She knew. She knew he knew it was her that had written it. Suddenly all her courage fled, replaced with cold, cold fear. The door to the classroom squealed as Sora walked through it. Her face lit up as soon as she layed eyes upon Matt. When she noticed the look on his face her happy face was replaced with a puzzled, even sympathetic look, as though asking what was wrong. He turned to her, his face softening. He smiled a greeting, but his face fell as he nodded his head towards the blackboard. Sora turned to face the board, and her face too changed. A look of confusion, embarrassment, and pure shock replaced her usually cheerful countenance. Suddenly her aura became dark, clouded, pure sorrow. She turned about, her face aghast. She looked at the class. She finally took a deep breath and headed towards her desk as Matt erased the crypting message. Yoko's eyes turned back to their usual devious selves as she stuck her leg out. She was rewarded with a trip and fall on Sora's part. Matt turned quickly, too late to save Sora from embarrassment. Sora raised herself from the cold floor, and, keeping her eyes on the ground sorrowfully, slid into her seat. Matt glared one more time in Yoko's direction, then took his seat as the teacher entered. Yoko grinned. The message had revealed the feelings on both sides. She hoped it would crush the chances of a future relationship. Suddenly an idea sprang up to her. Her dark eyes flashed with evil delight as she wrote out a note to Matt:
Yamato, there's a large charity ball going on down at the community center tonight, would you care to join me there?
Yoko
She folded the paper four times and wrote his name on the front. She tapped Atari's shoulder, the girl who sat in front of her, and told her to pass it to Yamato.
Atari looked at the folded up piece of paper. She knew it wasn't right to pry, but she knew Yoko had the hots for Yamato, and if she got the chance, might even be able to steal his heart away from Sora, who, Atari personally believed, was the rightful owner. She carefully and silently unfolded the note. She read it 3, 4 times and then folded it back up. She cast a glance towards Sora, who was doodling on her worksheet, then towards Matt who was gazing out the window, not paying attention to his worksheet at all. Atari stole a glance at his paper. On it he had written: "Sora Ishida" and "Mrs. Sora Ishida" mixed in with, "Sorato eternal" and some other things. Atari sighed. She hated to be the go-between for such an evil note, but she had to deliver it to Matt, lest Yoko find out it hadn't been delivered, and suffer a fate far worse than anything else: her reputation would instantly be marred. Yoko would spread rumors, lie, whatever it would take to get her out of the social crowd. Atari had seen her do it to others, and she knew how traumatizing the experience could be. But, before she delivered the note, she knew she should do something to sabatoge Yoko's deceptive plans. She thought less than a second, then carefully, so as not to be discovered by the instructor, who kept his "eagle eyes" on the students at all times, to Matt.
Matt stared at the folded note on his desk for a few moments before discovering what really lay between the folds, and pondered the contents, the author, and the go-between. The go-between was obviously Atari, but there could have been others. He wouldn't know who the author was unless he read it, he decided, and the contents could be anything. It could be possible that the sender of the note could even be Sora, and his heart began to beat rapidly at the thought. He had a few paranoid speculations as well, though. The note could be from Atari herself, or a proclamation of love from one of his many fans. It could even, he briefly considered, be a joke love note from one of his buddies. He'd gotten plenty the past few days. Finally came the moment of truth. Before reading the note, though, his eyes flew down the page to the author. Yoko. He sighed. Part of him had truly wished it was Sora's name down at the bottom. The other half was disgusted at the fact Yoko had sent it. He then read the body of the letter itself. A charity ball? Sounded like fun, but not without Sora by his side. He thought for a moment. He decided to go. Not alone. He'd ask Sora to go with him. Smiling, he scrawled an answer underneath Yoko's neatly printed signature.
Yoko's eyes narrowed. She was sure she had suceeded now. He was smiling as he responded. She looked over at Sora, at peeked rudely at her paper. "Sora Ishida" and "Mr. and Mrs. Yamato Ishida" were mixed in with "Sorato everlasting" and a few other things. Yoko grimaced in disgust. Sora noticed her prying eyes and covered up her worksheet with her arms, frownly in Yoko's main direction. Yoko smirked smugly and returned to her work. Suddenly Atari tossed a note back over her shoulder. Yoko's eyes lit up. He'd crossed out "Yamato" and replaced it with a sloppy "yoko". She shrugged. Perhaps he just didn't have very good penmanship, or maybe he just didn't want the instructor to see the note, and was trying to be inconspicuous. She unfolded it carefully, making a mental note to cherish the note forever. Her face lit up even more at the answer.
"sounds fun. ill be there, thanks.
Yamato Ishida"
Not only was he coming to the charity ball, but he had signed with his signature. That had to mean something, Yoko decided. She grinned, and clutched the note to her chest, elated.
Sora watched Yoko, her heart felt like it had been ripped out of her chest and beaten brutally. She'd seen her pass the note to Atari wiht Yamato's name on it, she'd seen Matt read the note, smile and respond, then she'd seen Yoko in ecstacy over his answer. She lowered her eyes back to the paper, trying to concentrate on word problems, but her brain, mind, and heart were all on Matt and Yoko. A tear escaped her amber brown eye. Atari noticed her friend's grief, and now, more than ever before, felt a responsibility to help her friend. She hurriedly jotted down a note telling Sora to meet her after school, and flicked it onto her desk. She watched expectantly as Sora scanned the note with her eyes. Sora turned towards her and grinned. Atari winked back, knowing she and Sora would finish off that Yoko no matter what it took.

"So... you want me to go to this charity ball, just to see Matt with Yoko?" Sora asked, puzzled. Atari laughed and shook her head. "No, Sora. I want you to go looking fabulous, woo Matt, and take back what's rightfully yours!" Sora raised an eyebrow, still confused. "Which is?" Atari giggled. "Matt!" Sora shook her head. "No, he was never 'mine', Atari." Atari nodded. "You're right, Sora." She said seriously. "He's single, which mean's he's free game. I-" Sora's eyes bulged out. "Free game??!!!" Atari made a fake frown and continued. "Yes. Yoko's made an offensive move. It's time for heavy duty defense, Sora! Don that party dress and those heels... we're gonna gain possesion of that man!" Sora was laughing so hard she'd fallen off the bed. "Gain.... possesion...??!!!" She was rolling on the floor, hysterical, reeling with laughter. Atari pretended to be angry, but she couldn't hold it in either, and soon was busting up, too. The phone began to ring. Sora was still shaking off the laughter as she picked up the reciever. "Hello?" She squeaked.
"Sora? It's me, Matt." Suddenly she became very serious, and mouthed to Atari that it was Yamato, and she too became serious.
"Yeah, Matt?"
"Well, I was wondering, are you going to the charity ball at the community center tonight?"
Slight pause.
"Yeah, actually I am."
Short pause on Matt's side.
"Ok, nevermind then. Bye."
Dial tone.
Sora hung up the phone feebly. "He... he just wanted to know if I was going. For.. for a minute there I actually thought he was going to ask me out..." She burst into tears. Atari was by her side instantly. "Sora, no. He probably had a reason. I'm sure of it." He'd better have a reason, thought Atari numbly. "You're still going, though." Sora sighed. She knew that when Atari was stuck on somthing, she was stuck on it. "Ok." She mumbled softly.
Matt hung up the phone sullenly. Takeru was by his side, as exuberunt as his brother was, prior to the call, that he was going to ask Sora out. "Well?! What'd she say?" Matt sighed, but softly mumbled something about her going to the charity ball. "So? That's great! She'll be there!" Matt shook his head, slightly amused with his "naive" brother. "No, it's not great, TK. It means she's already going with somebody else." TK thought briefly, then- "Ohhhhh." Matt sighed again, and began to put away his tux. "No wait!" TK yelped. "You can still go! Maybe she doesn't have a date, you know? Maybe she's just going stag! Besides, dude. You haven't been out lately. Go, have fun... woo Sora. You know, be an Ishida man." Matt laughed. He paused briefly, then brought his tux back out of the closet. "You're right, man. I'm going."
Sora checked herself one more time in the mirror before going. Atari and her had picked out a long, satin blue dress. Well, it was blue at the top of the dress, but then it faded out to a blue silver at the bottom. It fit her figure well, a little snug at the waist, and then it flowed out loosely to below her ankles. You couldn't see her strappy blue heels unless she pointed her leg outwards, but it wasn't so long that she tripped. She slowly gathered up her blue cashmere shawl, as well as her handbag. Then, she left.
Matt was just as excited as Sora about the charity ball, except he spent less time on his clothes, and more on his hair, combing it until it was perfectly shaped, then loading up on the hairspray, and adding a touch of gel to the front. He checked himself one more time. He wore a plain black tuxedo jacket and pants. No tie, or dress shirt, but instead he wore a snazzy button-down underneath the jacket. He grabbed his jacket, and ran out the door. He was psyched.

Yoko looked around eagerly at the guests. The community center's gym was beautifully decorated, but Yoko didn't care about that. She wondered where Yamato was. Then she spotted him. Like a hawk that moves in on it's prey, she headed towards him. Then something caught her eye. There, in the doorway, was Sora, wearing the most elegant dress Yoko had ever seen in her life. Yoko froze, halfway to Yamato, staring in awe at Sora. She watched as Sora walked, no wait, floated, towards the refreshments.
Unfortunatly for Yoko, Yamato had already spotted Sora, and he smoothly sauntered over towards where she stood, pouring herself punch. "Care to dance, madame?" He asked, chuckling softly. Sora giggled, too. "Of course, kind sir, I would be honored." She set down her cup, and was shocked as Mikoto and Atari appeared out of no where and took her purse and shawl, giggling wildly. It was a cross between a slow dance and a hippy hoppy dance, Sora noticed, and began to feel as though she really was floating as he wrapped her arms around her waist and began to sway gently with her, weaving throughout the crowd. They rocked gently to S Club 7's "Never had a Dream Come True", and then, he dipped her. Sora was laughing as they came up from the bold move, but soon regained her composure as she was caught up in his deep blue eyes. Suddenly she was awakened to the words of the song, which had a deep meaning between the two...
I never had a dream come true...
Till the day that I found you...
Even though I pretend that I've moved on,
You'll always be my baby!

I never found the words to say..
You're the one I think about each day...
And I know that wherever life takes me to,
A part of me will always be.... with you.....

Suddenly nobody else was on the dance floor. Sora noticed everyone had moved to make room for the extrodinary couple. "Everybody's staring at us..." Sora whispered, staring deep into his eyes. "Let them stare..." He whispered back. Their faces were inches apart now. Mikoto and Atari had their fingers crossed. Yoko felt like she was going to throw up. "Kiss the girl... kiss the girl..." Mikoto whispered, then winked at Atari. They counted to 10 as quietly as possible. Then, "JUST KISS THE GIRL!" They screamed. Sora and Matt softly chuckled, but that was all they did, not giving a big reaction.

And then, he kissed the girl.


THE END