Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Koushirou's Search! ❯ The Surprising Origin of Izumi Koushirou! ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi again everyone. I hope this is getting interesting for you. Koushirou has found his adoption papers, and will discover something very interesting pertaining to them. Stick around to find out. Mimi also talks to her friends before going to bed about her conversation with Koushirou.
 
Oh, and for those who are fans of the younger group (Hikari, Takeru, Ken, Daisuke, Iori), they will be in here, there just won't be as much focus on them compared to the others (Taichi, Yamato, Sora, Miyako). Jou also won't be focused on as much. He will show up again, but not much, just like the younger group since they all go to different schools.
 
Hm, I know some of you all are wondering if I'm headed in a Koushirou x Mimi direction, as I'm a huge fan of it, but I haven't made up my mind entirely on that yet and might stick with friendship, as I like that more, seemingly.
 
Now, as always, I do not own anything dealing with the Digimon series or franchise. Bandai and Toei have that honor, and as a reminder, here are the ages of the characters once again:
 
Jou: 16-17 (Year 10-11; First/second year of High School)
Taichi/Sora/Yamato: 15-16 (Year 09-10; Last year of Junior High School/First year high school)
Koushirou/Mimi: 14-15 (Year 08-09; Second/Last year of Junior High School)
Miyako: 13-14 (Year 07-08; First/second year of Junior High School)
Takeru/Hikari/Daisuke/Ken: 12 (Year 06; Final year of Elementary/First year of Junior High School)
Iori: 10-11 (Year 04-05)
 
Chapter 06: The Surprising Origin of Izumi Koushirou!
 
Mimi was lied out on her bed comfortably, content, with the cordless phone attached to her ear in a three-way phone conversation, since her mobile phone was charging. “I hope it's not too late for you, Sora-san, Miyako-chan…”
 
“It's no problem at all, Mimi-chan.”
 
“It's so cool how your aunt and uncle have three-way calling, and if one of us gets another call, we can put that through too!” Miyako squealed.
 
“It really is. It was a present from my aunt and uncle for being such a well-mannered house-guest and for being such a good help to them with my cousins.”
 
The three girls, for a while, started to talk about their night at the karaoke box and how much fun they'd had and thanked the girl many times for inviting them. The conversation then changed to that of a certain redheaded boy.
 
“So, how was Izumi-senpai? Didn't you say you were going to drop by his place before going home since he was pretty much a bore for all of tonight?”
 
“Yeah, and he was acting really strangely, you two.”
 
“In what way?” asked Miyako.
 
“Well, remember how we all noticed how Mr. and Mrs. Izumi were acting? Well, it had something to do with that.”
 
“Is that what's affecting the mood of Koushirou-kun?”
 
“Yes, it is, but the thing that's puzzling me is why. I just don't understand why he'd act in such a way over his parents' news.”
 
“Ooo, what's the news?” asked an anxious Miyako.
 
“Is it good news or bad news?”
 
“It's normally considered good news to the average person.”
 
“If it's good, how come he's being so edgy over it?”
 
“She did say that this was good news to the average person, and Izumi-senpai is nowhere near average, let alone normal.”
 
“Aww, Miyako-chan,” Sora laughed.
 
“Just kidding,” she laughed along.
 
“So, Mimi-chan, if this news is so good, how come he is acting so peculiar?”
 
“I don't know. I tried to get that information out of him, but I didn't get any. I could only figure out what was bothering him, not particularly why.” Mimi inwardly sighed. `I even gave him the ohagi I made that I was going to give him tomorrow at school before he left. Maybe by tomorrow, he'll say something.'
 
“Oneesama, don't leave us in suspense! Tell us the news!”
 
“So it definitely does have something to do with his parents?”
 
“Yeah…” Mimi told her simply.
 
“But they were so happy when they left us to go out, but Izumi-senpai wasn't fully. He almost seemed distracted. I wonder what the news is…” Miyako hinted, ready to burst from not knowing.
 
“Mr. and Mrs. Izumi are going to have a baby!”
 
Miyako's eyes went wide. “Are you sure?!?”
 
“Wait, wait, Mimi-chan. Did he come right out and say that their having a baby is what's bothering him?”
 
“He didn't really say anything to give off that impression, but he hinted at it.”
 
“It's never come to mind, but I never would've guessed that Koushirou-kun would have a problem with having a younger brother or sister.”
 
“Maybe he's been an only child for so long that he doesn't want to change that.”
 
“I sometimes wondered what it would be like to have a brother or a sister, but living here with my aunt is enough for me. My cousins are like the younger siblings I've never had, and I really enjoy being around them. I wonder why my parents never had any other children.”
 
“Maybe one of you was enough, for them,” Sora giggled.
 
“Very funny,” Mimi laughed.
 
“There's only one Mimi-sama.”
 
“You got that right,” Mimi said with a big smile.
 
“I always wondered what it would've been like if I'd been an only child, but after a while of thinking about it, I think I'd go nuts without my brother and sisters. I've gotten so used of having Mantarou-niichan, Momoe-neechan, and Chizu-nee around I couldn't imagine my life without them. I wouldn't trade them away for anything, no matter how much they drive me crazy at times.”
 
“Well, look on the bright side,” Sora began, “you're the youngest. Pretty soon, you may have the entire place to yourself if your sisters decide to go to universities abroad or those in another city. Is your brother still at home?”
 
“Yes, he's still at home. He takes the bus back and forth. He's actually going to be graduating soon. Momoe-neechan is going to be graduating high school soon, and Chizu-nee is about to graduate too. Sora-san, do you have any classes with her?”
 
“No, Chizuru-san and I don't share the same classes. I'm in class 3-B along with Taichi; I'm pretty sure she's in class 3-C, with Yamato.”
 
“I forgot about that! I think I do remember Chizu-nee talking about Yamato-san and how the girls act all silly over him.”
 
“I'm sorry to interrupt you two,” Mimi cut in, her eyelids growing heavy, “but what about Koushirou?”
 
“Well, there really isn't much we can do about him,” Sora told her regrettably. “If he wants to act all stubborn over his mother having a child, then there really isn't much we can do to stop him from feeling that way or change his mind.”
 
“But we can find out what he has against their having one.”
 
“You're both right.”
 
“Mimi-chan, I wouldn't worry much over it.”
 
“I guess, but I do intend on finding out if it kills me, and this history project we have to work on will be the perfect opportunity for me to!”
 
“How?”
 
“Yeah, I thought you and Koushirou-kun just had to write a report or something.”
 
“No, we were paired to do a research type project. I was just surprised when he said he'd already started it.”
 
“That's weird. Why did Koushirou-kun lie about something like that?”
 
“The mystery is thickening, isn't it Sora-san?”
 
“Yes, it really does seem so. Don't you agree, Mimi-chan?”
 
There was silence.
 
“Mimi-chan?”
 
“Mimi-sama?”
 
“Oh, I'm sorry. I was just thinking about Koushirou again. I don't know why, but I'm a little worried about him.”
 
“It's probably more so your curiosity over his peculiar behavior than worry,” Miyako wisely input.
 
“You two, I think we should call it a night.”
 
“I am a bit tired, you two. Sora-san is right; we probably should call it a night. I'm going to bed. If I find out anything more about Koushirou, I'll definitely let you two know about it.”
 
“Right.”
 
“Good night Mimi-chan.”
 
“Good night, Mimi-oneesama.”
 
“Good night, Sora-san, Miyako-chan…”
 
After hanging up, the girl changed into her pajamas and put in some hair curlers, so that her hair could keep that wavy look. When done, she pulled on her night cap. `Koushirou is acting way too weird for my liking,' the girl thought as she headed to her bed. `Koushirou, what's wrong with you? Why were you so anxious to get back home? He didn't even get the chance to taste my ohagi…'
 
She lied in her bed restless, thinking about her walk home with Koushirou…
****
Koushirou's plan was to walk Mimi to the front door of the Nishimura home, so that he could see her in and leave quickly. Those papers were much too intriguing to him.
 
The two were now walking down the block. Surprisingly, the Nishimura home wasn't too far from Mimi's friends' apartment complexes. All of them could pretty much walk there within 30 - 50 minutes, and even faster by bus or bike. In Koushirou's case, he was about 40 minutes away from her by foot, but could make it there in about 25 or 30 minutes by bike. Due to how late it was, the buses weren't running, but Mimi didn't mind the trek with the boy, who seemed to be speed walking.
 
Um, why are you in such a hurry?”
 
Well, um…the sooner you get home, the better,” he responded shortly.
 
Is that really all?”
 
What do you mean?”
 
Slow down and I'll explain what I mean.” Koushirou, reluctantly, slowed down. “There, that's better. Now, ever since you went into that closet to get your jacket, you've been acting stranger than what you already were…”
 
He couldn't help but laugh. “Me, strange?”
 
She smiled weakly, giving off a small laugh herself. That had to sound outlandish. “Yep, strange.”
 
Well, I just want you to hurry and get home, so that you'll be safe, that's all. I also don't want you to get into any trouble because of your visiting me.”
 
You still seem to be in a rush.”
 
Without realizing it, the boy's pace had, once again, quickened. “Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to.”
 
That's okay, I guess. At least you're talking to me.”
 
The two continued the walk in a deafening silence after that, pretty much, only speaking seldom, Koushirou giving one-word responses to much of what Mimi had to say. Koushirou just wasn't in a talking mood, which wasn't a full surprise to Mimi, as he always seemed to be drowned in his thoughts, but she could definitely tell that the boy had a lot on his mind. She knew that the walk was going to end soon, as her aunt and uncle's place grew nearer. She decided that she was going to definitely speak up once arriving at her doorstep.
 
Well, here we are, but before you go, hold on a moment.” Before he could protest, the girl rushed into the house and headed straight for the kitchen. The tin she had left on the countertop was still there. She picked it up and went back to the front door, handing it to Koushirou. “I forgot to give this to you earlier. This afternoon, you didn't want to come in, and when we came by, I forgot to bring it with me. It's the ohagi I made.”
 
Wow, thank you, Mimi-san. Well, um, you're home now,” he told her quickly. “G'night.”
 
Mimi stared at the boy as he started back down the walkway in surprise. That was all? She definitely couldn't let this go. “So, what exactly is bothering you, Izumi Koushirou?” she called to him. “What's so wrong that it's causing you to act so distant with me? Something that you've never done before!! Even Taichi-san and the others are noticing that.”
 
He was caught off guard by the question, and turned around to face the girl, who had made her way towards him and was now in front of him. He didn't know what to say to her or how to respond to such a query. He had done a good job of avoiding the subject earlier, but didn't think that she would bring it back up, but then again, this was Tachikawa Mimi; she always tried to cheer her friends up no matter what problem they could be having or what discrepancies they could have been going through or experiencing.
 
Right now, the two were just standing there, caught in each other's gaze, underneath a clear, moonlit sky. Koushirou was still trying to think of a way to respond to Mimi's question, but being caught in her gaze, staring into her clear, innocent brown eyes, had distracted him tremendously. He usually went out of his way to avoid looking at the girl in any type of way, unless he had no choice, as it always gave him a funny feeling in the pit of his stomach, especially lately, but this time, he hadn't prepared himself. Mimi looked pretty to him at the moment, but it was strange how he had never really allowed himself to consciously notice it before. He did admit to himself, at that particular moment, despite how much he didn't want to, that Mimi was a pretty young girl, but he soon shook off the thought quickly, mainly because of Mimi's breaking his train of thought.
 
Well?” the girl demanded, her arms crossed, and her foot tapping.
 
Oh, uh…um…sorry.”
 
What's with you, Koushirou?”
 
Trying to get the girl's pretty image out of his mind, he asked, in forced annoyance, “Why do you care, anyway?”
 
Why? Why?” Mimi asked in disbelief, throwing her arms up in the air. “Isn't it obvious `why'?! It's because I'm your friend! I'm worried about you! I care about you! Something is bothering you, and I am going to figure out what that something is so that I can help you! I wouldn't be me if I didn't!”
 
The boy stood there, staring down at the tin of ohagi Mimi had given him. He didn't know what to say. He knew he needed to tell her, but for some reason, he just couldn't bring himself to share his secret with anyone, Mimi included.
 
I-I-I have to go, okay. G'bye.”
 
He turned and ran away from Mimi as fast as he possibly could. He couldn't bear to see that hurt face of hers again, especially since he had, once again, caused her such dismay. `I'll tell you soon, Mimi-san, but not yet. I'm just not ready to yet, but why is this bothering me so much? It's such a simple task…'
 
She stared at the boy running down the pathway leading away from her home. She just didn't understand the boy, or what he was going through.
 
`Koushirou, stop being so secretive all of the time!' She turned over on her side, and mumbled, “Just tell me what's bothering you…”
****
At the same time as Mimi said, “Just tell me what's bothering you…”
 
`I'll tell you everything, Mimi-san,' he unlocked the door of his home, `I promise!'
 
The boy had finally reached his home. He took the long way home, thinking about Mimi's nice gesture of giving him the tin of one of his favorite treats, and of how he was pretty much upsetting her. After entering the home, he focused once more, his destination the hall closet. He took off his jacket, and tossed it aside, and left the tin with it.
 
He took down the box, and searched through it ferociously. `Where's that paper, c'mon, where's that blasted paper I saw!'
 
Apparently, when Mimi startled him earlier, and he rushed to put all of the papers back, he had put them all back out of order. So far, all he was seeing were old sales receipts, ticket stubs, and other important looking documents. He didn't bother reading or looking over any of them. He just glanced at them, and if he didn't see either the word “Nerima” or “Adoption”, he wasn't giving it any mind.
 
He looked and looked, but he just couldn't find the paper he had come across earlier. Normally, when in a rush, he understood how it was easy to overlook things, but at the moment, he wasn't applying that logic. Frustrated, he threw some of the papers down onto the floor. `Where is it!!!'
 
Right at that moment, Koushirou found an important looking document, which had written on its letter head, “Nerima Adoption Agency” and how it was through the Hikarigaoka branch. His eyes lit up as he started to read the paper over.
 
*Nerima Adoption Agency, page 2
 
Adoption granted to: Izumi Masami, 25 & Izumi Yoshie, 25
Name of Adopted Child: Izumi Koushirou
Sex: Male
D.O.B: 1989.11.17
Age: 6 months
Hair Color: Red
Eye Color: Black
Blood Type: AB
Adoption Finalization: 1990.05.15
Nationality: Japanese American
Place of Birth: Manhattan, New York, USA/Mount Sinai Hospital
 
Koushirou stared down at the paper in disbelief, ignoring the rest of the information, which was of no use to him. First, he was disappointed that he couldn't find the other pages, which would have probably contained the information involving his biological parents, but on this page, it didn't say he was born at Nerima General Hospital or the Nerima Hikarigaoka Hospital or even Seibo Hospital, which was known for being a maternity hospital, like he'd always figured.
 
“New York?” he uttered. “I was born in an American hospital? This Mount Sinai place? Would that mean that I'm part American? Was my mother American? Was my father American?”
 
The boy sat on the floor and tried to process all of the information. It just wasn't making any sense to him. Sure he didn't have all of the typical features associated with the average Japanese person, but he always considered himself to be a true Japanese citizen.
 
“Japanese American?” he said again. “Is Koushirou even my real name? Does this mean that I'm not really an Izumi?” He mentally slapped himself. `No kidding! Of course not! I've known I wasn't an Izumi for years. This paper just confirms it now.'
 
Koushirou stood up and started to put the papers back, and was planning on taking his time to search through them more thoroughly, but felt he needed a break. He had been shocked enough for one night. He went back and got his jacket, and put it back in its appropriate spot and closed the closet door. He then grabbed the tin Mimi had given him, and headed to his room. He took a seat at his computer, setting the tin on his desk. Sleep was definitely out for him. There was too much going through his mind for that. After a short while, he decided to try his luck again with his search.
 
Time he got to his door he heard a noise coming from the hall. He opened his door slightly, and saw his mother and father leaving their bedroom, heading down the hall. “We sure did have fun tonight, didn't we?” Mrs. Izumi said with a yawn.
 
“Yes, we sure did. I know I have to go to work, but we really haven't spent time like that in years. I almost feel like a teenager.”
 
“A romantic walk along with two ice creams was perfect.”
 
“When was the last time we've spent time like that together?”
 
“Not since we were first married and not since we lost…” The woman went quiet and lowered her head, unable to finish.
****
`Lost what? What did she lose?'
****
“Don't get too upset over it,” Mr. Izumi told his wife. “Maybe this baby will be reborn from him. You know, like a reincarnation.”
 
“Do you really think so?”
 
“Of course, it was just meant to be. Now, what was it that you wanted that you woke up almost instantly for?”
 
“I do apologize for waking you up, but I wanted to get everything together so that I can go over the monthly budget tomorrow. I wanted to do so while I still remembered. I have been a bit forgetful lately.”
 
“Nothing wrong with that,” the man yawned deeply, as he recalled how she had been during her first pregnancy. She was incredibly forgetful during that time.
 
“Where are all of the receipts?”
 
“They're in the usual place; the white box on the top shelf of the hall closet.”
 
“Okay, I'll get it.”
 
“No, I'll get it. You shouldn't be doing any reaching or lifting anyway. I don't want you to over-exert yourself. If you need anything, just let either me or Koushirou know.”
 
“Alright. Thank you so much.”
 
“No problem.” The man went to the closet and took out the box Koushirou had been looking through earlier.
****
After hearing the closet door open and close from his room, he cursed himself. `Why me? How am I going to find out more about my birth parents, if they have the papers?'
 
He sat back down on his bed and tuned his parents out, trying to come up with a solution to his current problem. His mind was also on what his mother had said earlier, about “losing” something.
****
“I remember when we were pregnant the first time,” Mrs. Izumi laughed slightly. “I proved to you that I could take care of myself, but I do appreciate the offer you made to help me whenever necessary, but I'm not far enough along to have to be treated like some kind of a delicate flower.”
 
“I guess I'm out of practice. I'm not really experienced with this.”
 
“I know, and now that you got the box for me, we can head back to bed. At least if I see it sitting next to the bed, I'll remember.”
 
The man yawned again. “Y-yeah.”
 
The two cut off the lights, and headed back to bed for a well-deserved rest….
****
Koushirou started to pace back and forth in his room. `What do I do now?' He continued to walk around his room, when it hit him. `I'm a genius! Why didn't I think of this before?! I could try breaking into the adoption agency's database, and once I'm in, I could probably find the information I'm looking for, especially since I know the date my adoption was finalized.'
 
Koushirou hopped into his chair and booted up his desktop computer. He searched the web and managed to get to the adoption agency's page. He started to type in commands and such to try to get into the network, which he managed, but was having difficulty getting past that part. The encryption was so strong on the files that he needed, that he couldn't manage to find a way to bypass it.
 
`Wow, I don't know what kind of a program they're using to prevent people from breaking into their database, but it must be highly advanced since I've never encountered such a thing before. I better make sure I'm very careful so that it won't be traced back to me.'
 
He muttered something under his breath, and kept trying. He had yet to come across a program that he couldn't break or a database he couldn't hack his way into. He'd always considered himself to be a professional when it came to these types of things, yet, if one were to accuse him of being a professional hacker, he would jump down that person's throat, and strongly insist that he wasn't.
 
Almost an hour passed by, and he still was no closer to breaking his way through. `Seems there's only one thing I can do. I'll have to go there directly to find this information myself, but I'm not going to quit yet! There has to be a way to get through this!'
 
Koushirou kept at it, trying hacking trick after hacking trick, none of which actually worked or helped him out in any way possible, but, his determination and will kept him going for the rest of the night…
 
Fic Chapter Changes
 
No notes for this section, for the most part, aside from my apologizing as to what goes on an adoption form. I was just assuming as to what would be on one, so yes, please forgive me if I've shown anything that's inaccurate or off, in that regard.
 
Now, it's time for the changes in this chapter. The biggest one is that Hikari was dropped from this chapter altogether. It seemed forced anyway. Originally, she called Miyako, and Miyako beeped her in. It was just a way to get her into this fic to introduce the notion of the whole Takeru x Hikari/Daisuke x Hikari thing for the readers. She was calling to get advice as she was having boy trouble. Both boys are trying to get her to like them. She did admit to liking one of them, but didn't say who (for the readers to guess based on the clues in later chapters). She wanted to know what she could do to let the other one down gently. Given that her character is an Elementary-School student, and that it was late, I just felt that it shouldn't work here. I was pushing it with the other characters being up so late. Also, looking back on it, I felt that it was out of character for her to be calling up anyone just to talk about boys. She doesn't strike me as the type that would. To be honest, the only character I could see talking about boys on a semi-regular basis is Miyako.
 
The other change is Koushirou's blood-type. I didn't use one originally. I can see a bit of A and B in him, which is why I went with AB type (ironically, Miyako is an AB type, as it was mentioned in the series, and that she was a Gemini). I also, when originally writing this story, had considered making him a Virgo, but decided to stick with Scorpio for a very interesting reason, which you will see later on. I also added that Koushirou was born at Mount Sinai. I didn't have any hospital mentioned originally.
 
As it was mentioned last chapter, the Izumis weren't originally home. When Koushirou started looking through the papers and found that page from the adoption agency, he had to hurriedly put it back because he heard the front door about to be opened. Koushirou did end up rushing back into his room to hide and the whole budget conversation occurred between Mr. and Mrs. Izumi, and then they took the box down that was in the closet.
 
I cut back on Mrs. Izumi's mollycoddling of Koushirou. I wrote about how she wanted to check up on Koushirou, and how Mr. Izumi talked her out of it.
 
Originally, I didn't have Mimi give Koushirou the tin of ohagi. This is kind of a hint within itself. She made a homemade treat for the boy specifically. Was it platonic, or was there more to it, only sub-consciously?