Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Lost ❯ A Really Bad Day ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 9 - A Really Bad Day

I blinked groggily, trying to figure out why I had awoken at…

7:30? Why would I wake up at 7:30 on a Saturday? Terriermon better not be trying anything or I'll… What's that smell?

Whatever it was it smelled delicious. My stomach growled in agreement. 7:30 or not, I was going to get something to eat. I emerged from my room to find… Terriermon and Jyarimon sitting patiently at the table?

How? Why? What?

As my brain struggled to form coherent thoughts, my long eared little digimon spoke up.

"Hey! Henry, you're up! Come sit down, quick!"

"Why are you sitting here Terriermon? Aren't you usually bugging Jyarimon or something?"

"Takato said if I was good he'd make breakfast. Smells good, doesn't it Henry?"

"Yeah…"

I still wasn't too awake, and on top of it my mind was still trying to choke down the fact that Terriermon wasn't acting up for once, but then Takato walked in carrying two heaping platters and a jug, and my stomach told me quite forcefully to get back to the important matters… the food.

Takato set the platters down and my somewhat groggy mind picked up on the fact that Takato had made Belgian Waffles. There were also some ripe strawberries on the side. He forked one over on to all our plates, before pouring us all some orange juice.

"Oh! Henry, you're up! Here, you'd better eat before Rika gets here."

"Rika? Here?"

"Yeah, she said she wanted to get an early start on the project."

"I never did ask, what's your project on?"

"Me."

"Tai or Takato?"

"Takato."

"Ah. Jeri and I got lucky; we have to do one on the Monster Makers."

"I'm not so sure luck had anything to do with that. Terriermon got into the box."

I turned to look at Terriermon. He looked back and gulped.

"Guys, guys! It's too early for that. Besides Henry, I did break the box with him in it, and Rika will probably have some words for him when she gets here."

I grinned, and Terriermon gulped and started shoveling down food faster. Takato was right, Rika would give the over active little guy 'a good talking to'.

Then, with about half of the food gone, the doorbell rang. Takato gulped.

"Remember that I'm Tai, especially you, Terriermon! Jyarimon, hide quick!"

"Right Taimon!"

The adorable little red ball bounced into Takato's hood and settled. Then, he cleared Jyarimon's place before answering the door. Terriermon and I listened to their conversation as we ate.

"Oh, Hi Rika, what are you doing here?"

"Early start, remember Glove-boy?"

"Yeah, but I didn't think this early. I'm in the middle of breakfast right now."

I heard a big sigh, obviously Rika's.

"Well, at least you're up. I'll wait."

"Would you like to join us? There's plenty."

There was a brief silence before Rika spoke again.

"Sure. Renamon."

"Yes, Rika?"

"WAHHHH! Don't do that!"

"It looks like we will be eating after all. I just hope it's edible."

"Hey!"

Then they walked in. I nodded to her absently before returning to my plate and shoveling more in. Whatever else you could say about him, Takato was a very good cook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

I had to admit, Glove-boy was certainly talented at cooking, almost as good as my Grandmother was. But, that was then and now we were walking down the street, Renamon leaping from rooftop to rooftop above us.

"So, Rika, where are we going?"

"To the library, you idiot. We're going to copy old newspaper clippings."

"Oh."

We crossed through an alley on our way to the library, when Renamon leapt down and pinned Tai to the wall with her claws.

"Hey! What's the big idea?"

Renamon didn't listen to Glove-boy's protests and addressed me, never taking her eyes off Tai.

"I couldn't be sure in the apartment, Terriermon's scent was confusing the issue, but this boy definitely has a digimon."

"Really? Good."

I turned to look at Tai, who had gone dead white.

"Now, if you know what's good for you you'll tell us where you and your scumbag friends hide yourselves so I can kick your collective asses."

"You've got the wrong guy. I'm not with them."

"Oh, really? Who else could you be?"

He looked ready to say something then, but then clamped his mouth shut.

"Why bother? You won't believe anything I say anyways."

Then, my cell phone rang.

"Hello? Where? All right, I'm coming."

"He's telling the truth Renamon. Piedmon is attacking downtown, and Armageddemon's tamer is a girl. We're going."

Renamon nodded and released him. When he hit the ground, a small red ball jumped out of his hood.

"Leave Taimon alone!"

Taimon?

"Somehow, Renamon, I don't think this little thing can hurt us. Start the research, Glove-boy."

Renamon picked me up and we left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

After Renamon and Rika left, I turned instantly to Jyarimon.

"Hey! You okay buddy?"

"Why did Renamon attack us Taimon?"

"She didn't know it was us boy. Don't blame her, okay?"

He nodded, or at least as much as a round ball can.

"You up for a fight boy? I bet they could use our help against Piedmon."

"Nope."

"Nope?"

"Piedmon just ran away again."

"Ran away?"

"He didn't disappear, but Sakuyamon isn't following, she's headed back here."

"Weird. Well, let's go start that research."

"Right!"

"Back in the hood with you."

"Awwww."

"Don't 'aw' me, mister. It's not safe out here for you. Come on, I'll give you some bread when we get home."

Jyarimon, his spirits lifted by the prospect of bread, obediently went back into my hood, and I walked the remaining distance to the library. I walked in and went straight to the microfiche area, so that Rika wouldn't have any reason to get on my case again. I spent a few minutes pouring over the various tubes, looking for the right dates. They weren't there, and since microfiche is considered reference they couldn't be checked out. That meant someone else was using them.

Nuts.

I glanced around. There weren't too many other people using the microfiche machines. In fact, there was only one person there. She had long blonde hair, and her sky-blue eyes were focused intently on the screen, which, as expected, showed a picture of WarGrowlmon taking on Vikaralamon.

"Excuse me, miss?"

She turned, a look of annoyance on her face, and then blushed a little. She continued a little shyly.

"Yes?"

"I was wondering when you'd be done with those slides. I need them for a report."

"Oh. Hey! I know you! You're the new kid, Tai, right? My name's Alicia. Alicia Waterton. I sit about three seats to your left!"

"Really? Wow, small world."

"Yeah, I've got these for my project on the attacks four years ago. What's yours on?"

"Takato Matsuki."

"Oh. Him yeah, he's a really big part of this. Hey! Pull up a chair! We'll look at this together, it'll be fun. My partner, Dirk, who sits behind me, couldn't be here, he had… things… to do, I don't remember what, but it was important, and it looks like your partner isn't here either. Come on, sit!"

"A…All right."

I pulled up a chair and sat down, trying to maintain a respectful distance.

"Don't be shy, Tai. Hey that rhymed! Anyways, I don't bite, scoot a little closer."

I did as asked, and we spent awhile doing research. Peculiar thing was, she would always lean towards me to point things out.

What's with this girl?

Then, I felt an iron gaze strike me like a blow, and knew that Rika was standing behind us.

"Working hard, Glove-boy?"

"H…Hi Rika. This is Alicia…"

"I know who she is Tai. What are you doing with her when you're supposed to be doing research?"

Then Alicia spoke up.

"We are doing research Nonaka. We're just… sharing resources, that's all. Tai has been very helpful."

Is she trying to get me killed?

"I see. Try not to 'research' too much, Glove-boy. I'm out of here. We'll try again another time."

Rika left then, and I could feel the anger in her as she did so. I had just messed up. Big time. I turned to Alicia.

"Thanks a lot. Now it'll take me forever to get her to cooperate."

Alicia just shrugged.

"Just tell Ms. Asaji the truth. That she wasn't being very cooperative, and Rika will get into trouble, not you."

"I don't think I'm comfortable with that, even if she's not cooperating, I don't want to get anyone into trouble."

"Just a suggestion, now look at this…"

The research was fairly productive. Well, as productive as it could be given the circumstances. Anyway, I packed up my things and headed out the door.

"Tai!"

Huh?

I turned, and saw that Alicia was trying to catch up to me. I slowed so that she could, and waited for her to speak.

"So, Tai, are you coming to the game next weekend? Last one of the season…"

"No, I don't think so, sports really aren't my thing."

That was true. Tai, the Tai, not me, and Davis had tried to get me into soccer, but I was really bad at it.

"Oh, that's too bad. Since you're new you probably don't know this but I'm the head cheerleader. I'd really like it if you were there…"

That explains the instant tension when Rika walked in the room earlier; Rika hates people like that…

"…I mean, it's got to be better than spending that time doing Rika's work for her, right?"

"Thanks, but no thanks. I'm pretty sure I have plans."

I hope…

Then I jetted off into a nearby alley and used my green card to get to Henry's apartment before she could get to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

"So I walked into the library, and there he is, getting all chummy with Alicia! She's the flipping enemy for crying out loud!"

"Um, Rika? I don't think school work is a competitive sport…"

I glared at Jeri. Fellow tamer or not, she should know me better than that by now.

"You of all people should know that I couldn't give a rat's ass about her grade! But I do care about the fact that he's probably giving that airhead answers because of her looks!"

"You sound almost… jealous Rika."

I turned my glare on full force at her and opened my mouth to shout… but then I analyzed my last statement.

I do sound jealous.

I blinked, and then sat down heavily. Jeri and I were at Henry's and we were waiting for him to return so we could figure out what to do about these people who were attacking us. I sighed.

"I don't know, maybe I am a little jealous. Things have been so confused lately that I'm not sure what to think any more."

Jeri raised an eyebrow, obviously not expecting me to cave on the subject.

"But there's something about him that's strange, Jeri. He gets upset at weird times, and have you seen the letters he posted on the walls of his room? They're just weird."

"Why were you in Tai's room Rika?"

"To get away from Kazu and Kenta. I thought it was still empty. But we're off topic. We're discussing weird things about Tai. Did you know he has a digimon?"

"Tai? A digimon? What kind?"

"I'm not sure, but it looks like a small red ball. It's probably a baby, or at most an in-training, I didn't catch it's name before you guys called me off to fight Piedmon today."

"Wow. I wonder if Henry knows."

"Do I know what?"

I almost leapt out of my skin. I hadn't heard Henry enter the apartment.

"That Glove-boy has a digimon."

"Oh, that. Yeah. It's a Jyarimon. It's pretty much harmless, though he can do wonders to keep food your warm."

Jeri looked a little angry.

"Henry, you knew and didn't tell us?"

"He asked me not to Jeri."

"In addition to being a fellow tamer I'm your girlfriend, Henry! You're supposed to tell me things like this!"

"Momentai, Jeri. The little puffball couldn't even start a fire, much less destroy buildings."

"Terriermon, you're not helping."

"Don't change the subject Henry!"

"Yeah, Brainiac, what's the deal with Tai?"

Henry sighed. He looked up and there was an expression sad enough to make even me feel a little pity.

"I can't tell you. He made me promise not to. And, I agree with his reasoning why."

"Henry…"

"I CAN'T OKAY!?"

"FINE, I'M LEAVING HENRY! DON'T BOTHER TO CALL ME ANYMORE SINCE YOU CAN'T SEEM TO TRUST ME!"

And with that, Jeri stormed out. The silence in the room was stunning. We just looked at each other. Then, just as the silence was becoming unbearable, the front door opened, and Tai walked in. He glanced around from me to Henry, and then spoke.

"Okay, what'd I miss?"