Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Musical: An Opera man named Davis ❯ What's the big deal? ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

CHAPTER THREE
 
On Saturday morning…
 
The Motomiya phone rang, and Jun answered it. It was Kari calling to see if Davis was there, but to her surprise, “The squirt left early this morning… says it was too important to talk about.”
 
That struck Kari as odd. Usually Davis loved to sleep in on Saturdays. She tried emailing him on the D-terminal… but Davis wasn't answering. Kari was beginning to feel worried; so worried that she rounded up the others and organized a search.
 
Luckily, Veemon was still at the apartment, but he hadn't seen Davis all morning, “He musht've gone out while I was ashleep…”
 
Davis' computer was off, so it looked as though he hadn't gone to the Digital-World. Everyone split up and search around town. They headed to all of Davis' usual hangouts.
 
The arcade… The Coffee shop… event he soccer-field at school. Davis never took a weekend off when it came to practicing. Unfortunately, he wasn't there, or in any other of the places either, and when the gang asked around… it was told that he was never seen the entire morning either.
 
“Don't worry, Kari… I'm sure he's fine.” TK said.
 
“Yeah… and Davis can take care of himself. We all know that.” added Gatomon.
 
Kari knew they were right, “But I just wish he'd at least call.” she said. They decided to take a break from the search for a while, and Kari had to head to the library and return the text-books she borrowed to study for her test.
 
But just after she and Gatomon dropped the books in the return-chute. They gasped… “Kari, Gatomon… what's the matter?” asked TK. Then he saw it too.
 
There, through he window, they saw Davis, actually inside a library. “Is he doing what I think he's doing…?” asked Patamon.
 
The four of them walked inside, and realized it was true, Davis was really reading books, and not a comic book underneath as a trick. Kari and TK thought this was really weird and they backed away… but Veemon stayed and walked up to Davis.
 
“Hey Dav--” he almost called loudly.
 
“Shh…” Davis hushed him. “Not so loud, Veemon.”
 
“Oh…shorry…!” Veemon gasped as he covered his mouth. He then noticed what Davis was reading… books about the history of Opera, or Opera stories. “Gee… you sure have gotten hooked on thish shtuff.”
 
Davis nodded, “Man… I wish I could sing like these guys…” he said. “I mean… not many people in the world can actually sing like that.”
 
Veemon couldn't really picture Davis singing opera, he secretly never told him that Davis could barely sing using his own voice, just like others… but sing opera?
 
Davis caught a glimpse in Veemon's eyes, “What…? You don't think I can…?”
 
“Uh… well…” Veemon stuttered, but Davis could read him just like the books. “I see…!” he snapped. “even my own Digimon doesn't think I can do it? Well I'm going to try it!” and he got up and headed for the door.
 
“But, Davish… Davish… DAVISH…!” he called.
 
“SHH…!” hushed the people all around.
 
“Shorry… shorry…! Davish…” he said more quietly, but Davis had already gone.
 
 
Kari, TK, and their Digimon met with the others at the coffee shop. “Davis…? Reading books…?” Yolei laughed, “Now that's a killer.”
 
The others didn't laugh with her, “We really don't see the humor in that Yolei.” Hawkmon said.
 
Armadillamon nodded in agreement, “Ya' make it sound like Davis can't even read a candy-wrapper on a cactus-sign.”
 
Yolei then felt ashamed, as she realized she was being a little harsh.
 
Just then, Veemon came by, and told hem about what happened with him and Davis. “Then he jusht got up and left without me. He sheemed pretty mad.”
 
Ken couldn't blame Davis for being mad, “He has been a little on edge lately. I think all this harsh treatment from everyone else is really starting to get to him.” He knew this all too well like how people smothered over his brother Sam and left him all alone.
 
Wormon was worried that if something didn't turn up soon, Davis would probably go completely crazy. “I don't think Davis would do that…” Cody said. “Sure he's done some crazy stunts before but he can never lose his mind…”
 
“Can he…?”
 
Kari couldn't take much more of this, “Davis isn't crazy…!” she practically snapped. “He's just really upset, and feeling unappreciated.”
 
Cody looked as though he had just come face to face with an angry cobra, but Kari apologized. The others understood she was only trying to defend Davis, and help him out. “But what are we going to do?” she asked.
 
Nobody had any ideas…
 
They all decided to split up again, maybe they could figure out ways to help the situation. Yolei however was still confused about all this. “Anything wrong Yolei…?” Hawkmon asked…
 
Yolei sighed, “I just don't get it Hawkmon.” She answered, “It's like the whole group is getting worked up over the littlest things… when things could be so much worse.”
 
(Music Cue)
 
(Yolei)
(Sounds like Emily Hampshire)
 
-What's the big deal?
What's all the biz?
Life could be worse and usually is.
 
“Uhm… Yolei…?”
 
Hold your head up high,
So life can look you in the eye.
 
“OH…!” Hawkmon looked up only to have something slimy drop on his face from above. “Blech…!”
 
-What's the big deal?
Don't count scars!
Things could be worse and they usually are.
 
If you're feelin' crummy
Like you could use a little sugar or honey.
 
“Yolei…! Yolei please wait for me.”
 
-What's the big deal?
Don't count scars!
Things could be worse and they usually are.
 
Hawkmon was growing tired of trying to keep up with her. “Ohh… this wings aren't helping me”
 
When you need a break
No time to think of your only stakes.
 
Hawkmon finally caught up with her, but was soon drenched from someone pouring their water down a drainpipe. “Oh… I say…!”
 
-What's the big deal?
What's all the biz
Things could be worse and they usually is.
 
Life could be worse and it usually is…!
 
When Yolei finally stopped singing, she noticed Hawkmon was in a real mess. “What happened to you?” she asked.
 
Hawkmon's eyes bulged, and he fainted.
 
“Hawkmon…?”
 
 
Meanwhile, Davis was in his room, and trying hard to sound like an opera singer, but he sounded terrible. His voice cracked three times, and he could barely hold up a note. Finally he decided to stop before he damaged his vocal chords. “Man… Veemon's right…” he said to himself. “I really can't sing opera.”
 
He fell down on his bed moaning over and over, “What was I thinking? I'll never be some great guy to everyone…”
 
As he rolled his head on its side, his eyes gazed upon the picture of Kari on his desk. He smiled at it, at least she and the others appreciated him. Once again he asked himself that having them like him for who he was should have been enough, but why didn't it feel like it…?
 
As he continued to stare at the picture, his mind began to flashback all the memories of his heroic efforts, of how when only he could save the situations, and lead the others to victory, and all because he wouldn't give up, no matter what the odds…
 
Never give up…?
 
He stood upright with a look of fierceness in his eyes. He never gave up before… so why should he start now. Kari and the others would probably be ashamed of him if he quit on something so simple.
 
Maybe he could teach himself how to sing better…?. He decided he's go for it… not just for himself but for his friends as well. He knew that being upset all the time would only make them upset as well…
 
It was time to fill the void in his heart for good, and gaining an opera voice was a good step. So he got up and headed back to the library to borrow some extra books and tapes.