Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Now, Forever and Always ❯ chapter 3 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3:

Where do we go from here?

**********

Falling.

That was Davis's first sensation, falling through the air.

Images flashed by him, disjointed. His minds eye seeing things that his body never could.

A gun, the silencer in place, barely a flash of light as it fired. The impact of the bullet on his chest, his legs failing, and his body falling to the floor.

Tasha, a D3 in her hands, and a salamandramon at her feet, digivolving to become Bahamamon. The huge dragon-shape crashing into the black armour of Viramon. Then, barely a minute later, being slammed back into the room.

Kari's face, fear shining from her features, her short hair shaking as she struggled in His grasp.

Flamedramon, launching fire at the men around the room, trying to save them all, in vain.

The bearded face, the one Davis knew so well. It hung over all the images, like a cloud in his mind.

He knew him, it was his-

"Davis?"

he came back to life groggily, opening his eyes slowly, painfully. He looked around at then people by his bed.

Tasha. TK. Liam. All of them were here. He tired to speak, but the words came out of his throat in a dry whisper.

"Kari..."

TK rested a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"She's gone man, he took her. and she's not the only one. This guy hit us right across the board, he's snatched Ken, Yolei, Tai..."

He sighed.

"Just about everyone. He didn't get Mimi though, she's on her way over here. But for some reason he didn't want to take you."

Davis drank some water from the glass by his bed. When he spoke again his voice sounded vaguely human.

"He said I was a threat."

"That's because you are." Came a voice from the doorway.

An old man, his white beard trailing down to his chest, stepped into the room. His eyes had a sharpness to them that made Davis wary of what he was going to say next.

Gennai.

"You are a threat because of two things Davis." The old man continued without hesitation. "the first is that you know his identity. The second however, I think we should discuss in more suitable surroundings, so I will go and speak to the doctors."

And with that, he left as mysteriously as he had come. Davis sat up in the bed, ignoring the burning pain in his chest.

"How did they know where to find everyone?"

It was Liam who answered.

"We found a list, it had all your names on it. I'm going to go and speak to the guy who wrote it soon."

"You know who he is?"

The big Irishman snarled.

"Ay. I know who he is alright."

Davis nodded.

"Hey, you've got a question to answer as well." Said Tasha.

Davis settled back against his pillow, and looked at her.

"You want to know who he is, don't you?"

The blonde girl nodded. Davis knotted part of the sheet in his hands. Then, looking out of the window, beyond them, he told them a story that he hadn't spoken about to anyone.

"His name is Paul Miyomoto."

TK frowned, but said nothing. Davis continued.

"He's my uncle. My Dad's twin brother. His mom died in giving birth to him, and he and my Dad were best friends growing up. You know, they had that link that twins seem to have. They did everything together, and they became airline pilots, two of the best. But 8 years ago, something happened on one of their flights..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---- ----------------------------

The 10 year-old Davis Miyomoto hugged his father, wrapping his arms around the big mans waist.

Jake Miyomoto hugged his son back, crushing the boy and his sister with his embrace.

June looked up at her daddy.

"Will you bring me back a present dad? You always do."

"Course I will honey. You know that I will. And one for Davis too."

The two children smiled up at him, as a knock came from the door. Their Mom pulled it open to reveal Paul, his blue uniform sparkling in the dull light. The two kids rushed over to him. As he swept them up into his embrace he turned to look at his brother.

"Ready to go?"

The other man nodded, and picked up his jacket from the seat. Hugging his wife and children one last time, he walked out of the door.

________

Later that evening, as they sat down to dinner, there was a knock at the door. Davis was the one to answer. One of their father's piloting friends stood there, holding an envelope in his hands. As their Mom came up to him, and glanced at the envelope, unseeing. After the pilot had gone, she had just sat in her chair, staring off into the distance. Finally she had gathered the children too her, and told them that their father was gone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---- ----------------------------

"They said that it was a freak storm. It hit them over the mountain. No survivors, they said."

Davis looked up at the door as Gennai re-entered, followed by a doctor. The man in the white coat was the first to speak.

"Well, Mr Miyomoto, it seems you spend more time here than at home. I was told you were awake, but I couldn't get here for a while. Mr Gennai here has told me that you need to be discharged immediately, so I'm going to give your sister you're medication so she can take care of you. You were very lucky man. It was lucky you were wearing that device."

The doctor left, and Davis shot his friends a questioning look. TK, his eyes downcast, placed the shattered remains of Davis's D3 on the table. The two pieces of the Digivice fit together, leaving a neat hole in the middle.

"It slowed the bullet enough for it not to kill you, but you'll still be hurting for a while."

Davis shook his head.

"It doesn't matter, I've got to find Kari. Not matter what. I made a promise to her, and to myself. We both fought too hard to lose each other now."

He sighed. And when he looked up again, his eyes were filled with a grim determination.

"I promised her that I would always love her. Now, forever and always."

He started to get up, but TK grabbed hold of his shoulders.

"Look at you Davis! You're in no shape to take on a fruit fly at the moment, let alone someone like Paul! Veemon's not much better, he's recovering at your place now."

"I don't care! I've got to find her! I know you understand TK!"

There were tears in his eyes as he spoke, and still he struggled weakly to get up. But then Gennai spoke, and his voice silenced everyone in the room.

"Enough."

They all stopped, and the old man looked them over. He stared at the young man in the bed.

"Davis, you don't have the strength or the power to take on Paul at the moment."

He sighed.

"But there is a way, a path open only to you, though others can tread beside you, and guide you. These people here" And with this he indicated the people around the bed, "They can help you find the power to take on your uncle on his own terms. Mr Dillon..."

Liam nodded.

"Can you locate the man you mentioned? It is my belief that he can help us establish Paul's goals."

The big Irishman nodded again, and left the room. Gennai turned to the others.

"Tasha, will you come with me and Davis please. You and Salamandramon can help in his quest. TK, will you please meet Mimi, and bring her and Mr Dillon to this address."

The blonde man nodded, and followed Liam out. Gennai looked at Davis once more.

"The time has come for you to fulfil your destiny my friend. You have a power in you that none of the others can ever achieve, and I can teach you to use it wisely and well.

Davis looked at the old man. He didn't feel powerful. If anything he felt frightened, and gutted. Without Kari, he just didn't know what to do. He spoke quietly.

"What power? What are you talking about?"

Gennai grinned, showing white teeth.

"The Paladin."

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---- ----------------------------

TK caught up with Liam as the big Irishman was getting into his car.

"You coming along?" Liam asked.

TK nodded.

"I'm supposed to take you and Mimi to this address. We can pick her up after we've talked to this guy."

"There ain't gonna be much talking going on TK. In and out, quick as lightening."

They drove swiftly to downtown Tokyo. As they pulled up outside a decrepit shop, Liam turned to his young companion.

"Look in the glove box."

TK opened the small compartment, and pulled out a small pistol. He turned to hand it to Liam, but the big man shook his head.

"That's for you. I've got one."

TK put the gun in his pocket, and they got out of the car, and walked into the shop. There was small man sitting behind the counter reading a paper, and he looked up as they came in.

"Can I help you?"

"We're looking for Kanachi Katiza."

The small man pointed his thumb at the door behind him, and returned to his paper as they walked through. Behind a desk in the small office, sat a broad-shouldered man, with a revolver in easy reach.

"Who the hell are you?"

Liam answered quietly.

"Oh, were just a pair of travellers on the wind, seeking a bit of information."

The big man grinned.

"I can supply that. Tell me what you want and we'll sort out the price later."

"It concerns a man named Paul Miyomoto."

The man behind the desk frowned.

"What business do you have with my lord?"

TK narrowed his eyes.

"What do you mean, your lord?"

"I will tell you nothing about him, except that you are messing with forces you cannot possibly understand."

He reached for his revolver, but all of a sudden, a silenced Berretta was in Liam's hand, pointing between Katiza's eyes.

"Don't even try it. TK, take his piece."

The blonde boy ducked forward and took the revolver off of the desk, placing it in his own pocket. Liam spoke again, his voice devoid of emotion.

"Now, you are going to tell us what 'your lord' is up to, and why you gave him a list of people he wanted to kidnap."

The man at the desk snarled up at him.

"I will tell you nothing! I would die for my lord!"

"It can be arranged. TK, go and close the door would ya?"

As he turned to the door, taking his eyes away from the scene behind him, TK heard a low 'phut', then a scream of pain from Katiza. He spun around, to see Liam, the berretta in his hand smoking slightly, and Katiza, writhing on the floor, clutching his bleeding kneecap. Liam shifted his aim.

"IF you don't tell us what we want to know, I'll do the other one as well. Your choice."

"Alright! I'll tell you! The lord needs the Digidestined's power. He needs to use it to create a permanent bridge between the worlds, so he can bring his Digimon army over here!"

Liam turned to TK.

"I think we've learnt all we can here. Let's got get Mimi."

He turned back to look at the man on the floor.

"You'd better be telling the truth, or I'll be back for that other kneecap."

They turned and walked out of the room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---- ----------------------------