Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Passage Through Shadow 2 : Heart of Sincerity ❯ Chapter 8

[ A - All Readers ]

Part Revised 6th February 2003

Firebird: Good grief this took forever to write.

Ken: and it's short.

Firebird: Not by design. I just can't make 3 of the scenes I wrote fit the flow of this part. That's another thousand words at least. I'll have to put them in the next part.

Ken: Ah….

Firebird: Anyway in this part you get two pieces of information and a cool fight scene. Thanks to Chris for his fight scene help. Oh and I still don't own Digimon.

-------------------------

Passage Through Shadow 2

Heart of Sincerity

Part 8

"Well I'd say that his cover's been broken." Logan sniggered when Elliot and Tsukaimon came hurtling out of the cave mouth and almost collided with Ali. She jumped backwards out of the way and blinked.

"What on earth happened in there?" She asked. "Things seemed to be going well."

"The Digimental of Sincerity was in the cave…" he growled. "The damn thing revealed me."

"What?!" Ali looked up at the cave in alarm. "Did anyone manage to lift it? That could be a problem."

"Miyako." He replied. The other two blinked as he used her first name.

"Well that is interesting… but at least we will still only be facing one armour. This should be a walk in the park."

"And now I can kill the pink haired tramp." Logan growled. "Slowly, I think."

"Can I help?" Elliot grinned before looking back at Ali with a slight frown. "What should we do about Miyako?"

"It's a most unusual situation." Ali mused. "And more yours, Denbe's and Chiharu's area of expertise than mine or Logan's." She clicked her tongue thoughtfully. "However I think we should capture her. I do have one question though -- how the hell could this have happened?"

"How the hell did what happen?" Logan asked. He sounded exasperated. "What is going on?"

"The Inoue girl seems to be both one of us and one of them."

Logan's eyes flew wide as comprehension dawned. "That's why you couldn't sense her?"

"And why she can't sense us." Elliot confirmed. "And I agree we should capture her. She'll be a tough nut but Chiharu and Denbe specialise in cracking tough nuts." He frowned at Alison. "Michael will know about this you know."

"Yes. I know. I want him alive long enough to see when we take her. That'll rip his heart out."

"Whatever." Logan shrugged. "Just so long as I do get to kill the other two." He paused. "How will Michael know?"

"Erm…Um… He knows enough about us to notice she's unusual." Ali said. She was obviously temporising. Logan gave her a long look but decided to let it rest for now.

-----

"Is that better?" The Child of Fate asked softly as Takeru surfaced from the brief trance he had slipped into at her urging.

"Much better, thank you." He sighed in relief. "How long was I out for?"

"A few minutes."

"It felt like eternity." He sat up and looked at the veiled figure. "I know you, don't I?"

"Yes. You know me. We've always liked to keep an eye on things and we're edging closer now things have moved down this path. Of all the possible futures I've seen this is the one with the greatest potential."

"Potential to turn out well or badly?" he asked. There was a pause.

"Both." She replied finally. "The end lies closed to me but either great joy or deep sorrow awaits all of you at the culmination."

"I saw something strange while I was down. I think it was the Digital World exploding. Is that a possible future?"

"You saw that? No that was the past… before we were called… before this even began for us. It was considered the oldest of tales when we first came here. By the time you did it had been forgotten for centuries. The Digital World was once much vaster than it is now… but as it sucked in stray data from the nascent Internet it grew too large and could not support itself. The great powers of the Digital World conferred and to prevent the imminent implosion into nothingness they created a controlled explosion instead. Before that day there was only one Digital World. After that day there were many scattered throughout the Digital Dimension created by the computer age. It saved both this world and our world that day but it also created the conditions that allowed the forces of corruption to raise their head."

"Is this the original Digital World?" He asked.

She shrugged. "Not really, that ceased to exist that day. No world can be said to that world of lost wonders that died before it had chance to grow old. Did you see anything else?"

"Hikari." He replied thoughtfully. "I saw something about her and what she's doing. I understood why she's doing it… but I've forgotten." He paused. "And Devimon. I would never have expected that."

"Expected what?" Patamon finally interrupted.

"Devimon… I can't understand why or how but he isn't out of balance with the Digital World…" Takeru frowned. "In fact he's part of the balance." The frown deepened. "So why was he trying to kill us? Why didn't he just pack us off to Server? If he hadn't attacked us we'd never have attacked him."

"Think about it. I'm sure it'll come to you." The Child of Fate seemed amused.

"I will… are you going to tell me who you are?"

"You know who I am and even if I told you you'd most likely forget. You have to work it out for yourself."

"Yeah, I know." He sighed. "I'd better go rescue Miyako, Mimi and her friend. They're in danger. I can sense that."

"Don't worry -- you'll get there in time. Oh and I've uploaded some more of the prophecy to your d-terminal. It's in three parts you see."

"And the final part?" He asked.

"When it's time." She paused. "Oh and tell everyone to watch Miyako. She's unique and it's about to catch up with her. Don't let the Counterdestined get their hands on her. Now go!"

Takeru looked at her a moment and then nodded. He leapt to his feet and ran from the room. Yamato seemed stunned when he and Patamon burst into the courtyard at the heart of the building.

"You look better."

"I am better -- but Miyako etc are in real danger and the others won't reach them in time. I have to go."

"But what if you have a relapse?"

"Don't worry. I won't… and I really mean it when I say the others won't find them in time. It's up to me." He smiled as he saw Tapirmon heading into the room he had just exited. He picked up his digivice and had Patamon digivolve to Pegasusmon.

"He'll be okay. I saw to that." They both turned to the Child of Fate who was standing in the doorway holding Tapirmon in her arms."

"Who are you?"

"The Child of Fate of course."

"See you later!" Takeru said and had his partner carry him up into the sky. Yamato looked back at the figure.

"He'd better be okay."

"He will be."

-----

Miyako and the others headed cautiously towards the exit only to come face to face with the counterdestined and their two armoured digimon. For just a moment everyone froze.

Logan recovered first and had DarkSagitarimon fire a vengeance arrow at the three chosen children. They scattered in chaos … or at least they tried to. However DarkChameleonmon's razor tongue caught Michael round the waist and began to drag him in. The boy screamed as the attack sliced into his flesh.

"Hey! He's mine!" Logan yelled furiously. Ali just winked at him.

"Don't worry, Logan, I'm not going to kill him. Just have a little bit of fun for myself." She laughed. He growled quietly to himself but turned his attention back to the battle and notice Miyako was edging away from the battle. Probably trying to find space to activate her new Digimental. With a gesture he sent his partner to capture Mimi for his attention later and slipped along the wall towards the Inoue girl. As he got closer he realized that the others were right she didn't have the digidestined aura and she obviously oblivious to his approach. He grabbed her just as she lifted her digivice to activate the Digimental. She yelled in surprise and began to struggle.

"Stop that!" He hissed in her ear. "Unlike your friends you actually get to live through today but that doesn't mean that I won't hurt you if you deserve it. So I'd advise you to behave yourself." He was surprised by how quickly she stopped struggling and relaxed. "That's a good girl." He said mockingly. "You aren't as stupid as you look…" He trailed off as she quite suddenly jerked free from his grip and activated the Digimental of Sincerity. Logan slapped her hard. "That was foolish!" He swept her legs from under her and kicked her hard as she dropped to the floor.

"Hey, Logan!" Ali yelled. "Swap you!"

"Okay!" He tossed Miyako toward DarkChameleonmon even as the digimon tossed Michael towards him but neither managed to grab their intended victim because two ninja stars came down and stopped them. Logan managed to dodge but DarkChameleonmon wasn't so lucky -- the ninja star cut deeply into his tongue causing to howl in agony.

"Miyako! Run!" Shurimon yelled as he attacked DarkSagitarimon and got Mimi free from his grasp. She didn't need a second bidding. Mimi helped Michael to his feet and they limped after her. When Logan tried to follow Shurimon's Ninja Star blocked his path.

"Get out of my way, digimon!" He yelled then leapt backwards as the stars thudded into the ground in front of him.

"Oh, great! A stand off." Ali sighed. "On the upside we have the numerical advantage."

"If the others don't find us." Logan said irritably.

"They'd have been here by now." She said. "They aren't getting out of…" She broke off as they had to leap out of the way of an energy beam. Only Pegasusmon's attack shout had given them time to dodge at all. "Okay, I spoke too soon." She conceded. "You watch Shurimon and I'll handle Hope and his mutant cart horse."

"Takeru!" Miyako yelled happily from where the tunnel led into a cave.

"Get back!" Was his only reply. Miyako followed his eyes and ran back into the cave.

"Get down." She told the others quietly but urgently.

"Do it." Takeru told his and Miyako's partners. They didn't need a second explanation. Their Equus beam and Double Star attacks hit the tunnel roof just above the two counterdestined. Part of it collapsed on top of the Children of Vengeance and Cruelty causing their digimon to break off their attacks to shield them.

Miyako and the others scrambled out of the cave over the rubble.

"That should keep them occupied for a while." Takeru noted. "Let's get out of here."

"You could have killed them!" Miyako gasped.

"What was I supposed to do?" He asked. "Let them kill you or worse?"

Miyako blinked uncertainly. "No… I guess not. What happened to the other one?"

"He was waiting outside. I knocked him out cold."

"Oh. Okay then."

"Well then let's go and find the others." He looked around and saw Mimi helping Michael towards the exit.

"Takeru, look!" Miyako said in a far different tone. There was a note of wonder in her tone. "This is mine." She held out the Digimental of Sincerity for a moment before it disappeared into her D-Terminal. Takeru closed his eyes.

"That's everything then."

"Huh?" Miyako looked at him as they left the cave.

"Everything in my dream has happened."

-----

"What happened to you?" Daisuke asked when the battered and very dusty kids rejoined them. "You're a mess."

"You should see the other guys. Takeru collapsed the cave roof on them."

"The counterdestined who were attacking you?"

"Those two kind have a grudge against me…" Michael explained. "And Logan can nurse a grudge like no one on Earth." He paused and then grinned wryly and added something under his breath.

"That would be because he's the Child of Vengeance." Daisuke paused and frowned. "The second one… there was one before him but something happened to him and he…" There was another pause as his eyes flew wide. "Oh!" He stopped again and growled. "Okay, this is getting annoying. If I ever get my memory back fully I think I'll hit whoever thought it was a good idea over the head a few times."

"Tell me about it." Ken agreed wryly. "We have got to do something about this soon." He glanced at Takeru. "You seem better."

"Yes." Takeru replied blandly as it started to rain. "For now let's get back before we get soaked."

"Now that is a good plan!" Daisuke laughed.

----------

Sorry it's so short. I have several other scenes written but no of them work in this chapter. Hopefully the next part will be out soon. R&R