Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Passage Through Shadow 3: Rain of Mercy ❯ Chapter 7

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I still don't own Digimon.

Apology: Sorry it's taken so long to update the saga. Check my profile page for details of why.

Passage Through Shadow III

Rain of Mercy

Part Seven

"So we're you satisfied?" Jyou asked Iori as they headed back towards the port.

"That she's not mistreating them? I guess that I am . . . but still . . . she wants to rule the Digital World and we have to stop her." He paused and frowned thinking about the Siakamon. "And yet the Digital World seems to be on her side." He scowled. "I can't help thinking that this place needs a firm hand at times."

Jyou gave the younger boy an amused look. "It can be a bit anarchic sometimes can't it. I occasionally wonder if the evils that we've fought weren't just control freaks pushed over the edge by the chaos."

"Including Ken?" Iori asked.

Jyou looked thoughtful. "No . . . that was something else I think. Do you remember what Wormmon told us? That the Dark talks to Ken in his head? Something was influencing him."

"That pain in his neck you mean?"

"Yes, it seems so -- and he thinks it's not dormant."

"Hmmm . . . Let's hope he's strong willed then."

"And you should cut him some slack, Iori, anyone can see that he's genuine."

Iori bowed his head. "I'm beginning to realise that. I was just so angry. I've been thinking about since the Cavern of Dreams. Our real enemy - or one of them - is whoever was controlling him." He sighed. "I'll have to apologise to him."

"He'll understand. Believe me you can't be any more angry with him than he is with himself."

"Yeah. But it doesn't tell us what to do about Hikari-san . . . or why Michael chose to join her." He added when he saw a WaruAirdramon flying towards them. "Maybe he'll see fit to explain."

"I doubt it." Jyou said. "He's obviously explained himself to Hikari but not to us."

Jyou's prediction proved correct. Michael dropped Daisuke by the Port and headed back towards the village. He did acknowledge them with a wave but didn't stop. When they reached the digiport they found Daisuke laughing.

"What's funny, Daisuke-san?" Iori asked.

"I'll explain when everyone's together -- though I'd like to be a fly in the wall when he explains this to Hikari."

-----

"So when are you going to explain, Nii-san?" Tsuki asked as Kage gently swabbed the cuts on her cheek with antiseptic.

"Just let me finish with this and get you and the digimon something to eat." He glanced down at Viximon who had come through the port with them. "At least I assume that your little white rat is hungry. I know that Kunemon is." He but a plaster on her cheek, checked their mother was still asleep in and then went and made some sandwiches and grabbed a large bar of chocolate. "Here you go." He placed the plate of sandwiches in front of her and broke up the chocolate. "I have yet to meet a digimon who doesn't like chocolate." He smiled as he put it down in front of the two digimon. Silver Viximon looked at it dubiously until Kunemon tucked in and Kage picked a lump up and ate it. "I'm not trying to poison you, rat." He grinned at her as she finally tried a chunk. "Good isn't it?" He asked but the little white digimon was too busy eating to reply.

"Do I get my explanation now?" Tsuki asked quietly as she picked up a sandwich.

"Okay," he sighed and sat down opposite her. He thought for a few moments before explaining about the Digital World, the Chosen Children and the CounterDestined. He briefly considered trying to gloss over some things but he knew how perceptive she was. She'd know if he tried to soften the situation. When he finished she looked thoughtful.

"Enmity, huh?" She said finally. "Well you do make enemies just by opening your mouth, Nii-san, so I guess it fits."

"Rub it in why don't you?" He smiled wryly. "But what are we going to do? Technically..."

"We're on different sides. I understood that." She sighed. "I hope the Digital World doesn't expect me to fight you. You're my brother, it just wouldn't be right."

"Well, I have no intention of fighting you Tsuki-chan. But if the others find out about you they'll kill you."

She nodded solemnly. "And you too for not turning me over to them." He blinked. That was the one part of all this he hadn't mentioned but she'd picked up on it.

"Yes, they will." He sighed. "But that's a risk I have to take."

"So, we'll have to make sure that they don't find out won't we."

"Stating the obvious as usual I see, Tsuki." He grinned briefly then looked down. "Damn Logan and Alison for dragging you into this!" He paused. "Damn me for underestimating Logan."

"I've got to say this, Nii-san, pissing off the Child of Vengeance and not expecting to get burnt is a classic even for you." She got up, walked over to him and hugged him in spite of the aura clash. "What did you do to him anyway? He really hates you?"

He looked away. "Just the usual. Told him the truth."

"Oh, Nii-san." She shook her head. "You mean you taunted him. Taunting your allies and making them angry is not a good idea even if you don't like them."

"But he's such a total baka... or he seemed to be. I'm beginning to wonder about that." He scowled and then added. "And you shouldn't be giving me wise advice. Enemies remember." He glanced over at Silver Viximon. "What do you think, rat?"

"I think...." She began then paused. "I think I'd like some more chocolate, please." Kage burst out laughing.

"I like your white rat, Tsuki-chan."

"Yes unlike some people she knows when not to speak her mind." Tsuki stuck he tongue out at him. "Are you sure that your crest is Enmity not Tactlessness?"

Kage just shrugged and headed for the computer. "I'm going to have a word with Logan. Make sure that he knows that I won't tolerate him hurting you."

"Be careful, Nii-san." She said quietly. "He'll be expecting you, you know."

"I'll be back soon." He promised and opened a port to the base.

------

"You let him go?" Hikari blinked. She seemed startled but not angry. Then again for all Michael knew she was seething under the skin. "Why?" Her tone was curious more than anything and the quizzical tilt of her head suggested that that was indeed her primary emotion.

"I - I felt sorry for him. He was risking his neck to save his sister from the others and his mother is ill and needs him." He paused. "I know I should have bought him in but I just couldn't. For what it's worth the Digital World seemed to agree with my decision and has a sense of the ironic. As soon as I told him to go this appeared." He summoned the Digimental of Mercy from his d-terminal. Hikari looked at it and chuckled.

"Well I can't exactly argue with that." She grinned briefly but it was quickly replaced with a frown. "What worries me is why will you need it? While it's true that it's a benediction on your actions the Digital World doesn't give out Digimentals like house points. I have to assume that you're going to need it."

"Hmmm... that's very true..." He looked thoughtfully at the map of the Digital World that was projected on one wall. It carefully showed who controlled where. "Hikari-san, can you possibly put up the areas Ken used to control as an overlay? Especially the areas that still have standing spires."

Michael didn't answer immediately. Instead he examined the map and saw what he feared. "There..." He pointed to where the area now controlled by the dark chosen overlapped with the area that Ken had held. "Damn! I know how Denbe thinks and that is going to be entirely too tempting for him."

"Wha..." Hikari trailed off as she followed his train of thought. "But they're defunct Ken destroyed the control system."

"But many of the spires are still there and the connections between them. All it needs is to gain access and create a new system... and I'm willing to bet Denbe can do it. He runs all the Counterdestined's computers."

"It does make sense..." She conceded. "I think I'd better email Takeru. Ken will know if it's possible and who knows he might even answer me since he knows I don't need them." She began to type and then paused. "You were right to let the Child of Enmity go. There will be other chances to grab one of them."

"Thanks."

"And could you make me up files on the Counter Destined? I'm going to need them."

"Sure but the one on Logan will be a little light. All I can tell you is he's an idiot but his brother's okay... and of course what said brother has told me about him. Though that isn't much and even what he has said... well Andrew's more than a little kind about Logan."

"And you're more than a little bitter about him." Hikari said but there was no venom in words. "So the truth will lie someone in between."

"Perhaps. It's hard not to have a jaundiced view of someone who keeps trying to kill me... or possibly just to beat me to a pulp. I've never been entirely clear on that." Michael rolled his eyes. "Severe lack of subtlety."

"Directness has it's charms." Hikari said mildly as she sent the email. "You should talk to those Lutramon refugees before you write that report. Perspective is a good thing."

-----

Koushiro's response to hearing about Michael gaining the Digimental of Mercy was much the same as Hikari's.

"Why would he need it?"

They were musing on the question when Takeru received Hikari's email. He scanned it quickly then handed his d-terminal to Ken without comment. The blue haired boy read it with a deepening scowl and then handed it back to Takeru. As he sat there deep in thought the d-terminal did the rounds so by the time he had gathered his thoughts and considered the matter everyone was looking at him.

"You know I think I screwed up by destroying the base like that. I was thinking that it shouldn't ever be used again but the idea that someone might hack the spire network directly to take control of it that way should have occurred to me. If the central system was still there I could block it... but now. Damn I screw up even when I try to right thing."

"Aren't there backup systems or some sort of security?" Koushiro asked. "Miyako and I tried to hack the system to take control of it and knock it out a couple of times. We couldn't do it -- is this Denbe better than us?"

Ken shrugged. "That was when the base was operational . . . most of my security ran out of there." He paused and added. "Plus I actually had to block you manually the last time you tried. You're very good." He frowned again. "Without the base the security is minimal and as to back ups - well what do you think? I was arrogant. I didn't think I'd need them... and if I'd had one I'd have destroyed it."

"Then it's a race." Taichi said. The others looked at him. "We have to get control of the Spire network before our evil twins do."

"Evil twins." Daisuke snorted. "I like that... sums them up in a nice derogatory way."

"Should I tell Hikari it's possible?"

"Why not?" Ken shrugged. "She doesn't want them."

"Do you think they will go after the spires?" Iori asked.

"If Michael thinks that they will then they probably will." Ken replied after a moments consideration. "And both my gut reaction and what I remember suggest it's the sort of thing they'd try as well."

"Do you want to help me with this?" Koushiro asked. "You know that system better than anyone and you'll be at my place anyway since the decoding program should finish soon."

"Of course." Ken nodded.

------

When Kage arrived at the base he found Logan lounging in a comfortable chair reading. He seemed totally oblivious to his presence- right up until the other boy tried to rush and grab him anyway. Then he got up and moved smoothly out of the way. As he span to face him Kage blinked. He'd never realised that Logan had such good reflexes. Still he knew from experience he could hold his own against the Child of Vengeance in a fight - except that for once Logan seemed in no hurry to fight him.

"Ah, Kage." He said in a cool, almost mocking tone. "I was wondering when you'd get here." The edge of laughter in the other boy's tone and the look on his face made Kage's mouth go dry. Logan obviously felt in control. "Was there something that you wanted to say to me?"

Kage clenched his teeth and resisted the urge to swing for the Child of Vengeance again. He needed to figure out what was happening here before he rushed in. "How dare you drag Tsuki into this?" He hissed. "She's never done anything to you."

"No, she hasn't but you have." Logan shrugged. "If you'd known when to shut up or when to take a beating this wouldn't have happened. So really this is your all you fault." His matter of fact tone made Kage see red. He didn't even realise he'd rushed at the other boy until Logan already had his arm twisted halfway up his back. Kage tried to get loose but that only made Logan twist harder until he stopped. "Then, of course, there's the fact I own you right now, Kage. Did you really think that I wouldn't be aware that the Digimental of Mercy had been claimed or the events that happened when it was? That Silver Viximon of your sister's is quite cute but we both know what happens if the others find out."

Kage gasped and slumped slightly. This was turning into a very bad day. "Oh God..." He closed his eyes and bit his lip. He tried not to imagine what would happen to Tsuki now... except that Logan had said 'if'... maybe... "Please don't tell them."

"My goodness you actually used the word 'please' and I didn't even order you to do it. Maybe there's hope for you yet. Now if I were you I'd listen very careful, Kage, because your life and that of you pretty little sister depends on it. From now on you're going to stop the insults, and not just to me... we don't want the others getting suspicious after all... and you are going to vote with me from now on. Do we understand each other, Kage?"

Kage gritted his teeth and swallowed his anger because he had no choice. "Yes, Logan-sama, we understand each other." He said in a defeated tone.

"Hmmm.... Logan-sama I like the sound of that." Logan said in an amused tone as he released the other boy's arm. "But you'd better not use it in front of the others."

Kage sank to his hand and knees, still shaking in shock and stared at the floor. "Is that all?"

"Oh no." Logan chuckled. "I'm going to make your life utterly miserable until I decide you've suffered enough and there's nothing you can do about it. Now if you'll excuse me I have important things to do." Logan stalked out of the room leaving a stunned Kage still kneeling in the middle of the floor desperately trying to figure out what had just happened and to re-evaluate Logan's personality in light of it.

-----

R&R please