Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Passage Through Shadow 3: Rain of Mercy ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Firebird: I don't own digimon. Toei does and Sensation Animation makes the dub

Ken: A sane disclaimer? Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

Firebird: I hope not I'm not halfway through yet? Oh and everyone wave at Chris for being my real life muse as opposed to the ones in my head. Thank you for putting up with my long gabbles on IRC about plot and characterisation. I couldn't write this story without you.

*Firebird and her various muses wave at Chris*

*Chris waves back*

Firebird: If this is the first of my fics that you've read please go to my profile and read what I say there. This fic is one story in a series and without reading them in order you won't understand what's occurring. Oh and while this isn't remotely a romance there is a romance subplot and much to my surprise it's Takari. Don't kill me I write whatever relationship I think best fits the tale.

------------------------------------------------------

Passage Through Shadow 3

Rain of Mercy

Part One

---

Takeru looked around nervously. After some discussion via email the others had decided to accept Hikari's terms and he had gone round to tell her. Taichi, however, had told him that Hikari was in the Digital World. So he'd used her computer to go to there. He'd been surprised that she'd used the port controlled by the rebels but Tapirmon explained that she'd been negotiating with them and had left not very long ago. So it was that he found himself and Pegasusmon flying alone through the gathering gloom to give her the news. Right now he wished that he trusted her completely because he was well aware just how vulnerable he was. When they reached the former site of Minomon village he looked up at the Crystal. "I've got a message for you."

There was a pause and then Hikari's voice sounded from the black diamond. "Yes, I guessed that. Wait there, please." Was all she said. Ten minutes later she dropped from the sky on the back of a graceful serpentine dragon digimon that he didn't recognise and leapt lightly to the ground in front of him. "Well?"

"They agreed to your terms." He told her as he studied her mount curiously. It looked a lot like an Airdramon but was a shimmering black colour, much larger and obviously a virus.

"Really?" She seemed a little surprised. He nodded in conformation and was amazed to find himself enfolded in a hug. "Thank you!" She followed his gaze. "He's a WaruAirdramon. Virus type. Ultimate level." She informed him. "Isn't he beautiful?"

"That's a fair description." Takeru agreed then took the subject back to why he was there. "Iori didn't like the bit about the prisoners." He told her. She just shrugged. "But your granting visiting rights got the others to outvote him." He paused. "They do want to know if 'school' is a euphemism for prison."

She considered for a moment. "Honestly? Yes and no. I guess you'd call them prison schools. I'm not going to let them wander around free until I'm satisfied that they've learnt their lesson but I'm not so stupid as to try and beat it in to them. That would be counterproductive." She took his hand gently. "Come on. I'll show you." He wasn't sure why he let her lead him aboard the WaruAirdramon but it felt like the right thing to do." "Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt either of you." She said to Pegasusmon who looked like he was considering attacking her. I'm only taking him to the Penguinmon Village. Why don't you follow since I doubt that you'll trust me enough to dedigivolve."

"Why are you taking me there?" Takeru asked.

"So you can see how I'm treating them of course! She grinned. "Why else."

"Oh, of course." Takeru shook his head at his own obtuseness. "I should have realised."

-----

Several of the buildings in the village were obviously being repaired by work gangs made up of depressed looking Penguinmon who were being watched over by various sorts of champion level virii. While the rookies were quite obviously terrified there was no sign of whip marks or any other forms of physical abuse.

"Why are they so scared?" Takeru asked as several of the closest ones cowered away from them."

"Well, let's see. I trashed their village and took them prisoner without even breaking a sweat. Wouldn't you be scared?" She asked rhetorically. "But they'll learn soon enough that they don't need to fear me if they behave." She led him to one of the intact buildings. Inside more of the Penguinmon were being held. They still looked miserable and scared but they were obviously being given adequate food and rest. Though he guessed that adequate was the only word for it. "Satisfied?"

"I-I- guess -- but I hope I never end up this far on your bad side."

"I'm treating them better than they treated their fellows who refused to side with them." She said coldly. "We found them chained up in a cellar and THEY hadn't been fed for several days." She glanced at him. "I know the others will say that I'm using propaganda you know -- but I swear this is true."

"I believe you." He told her. "So where are the ones you found in the cellar?"

"Not here. They aren't prisoners. I have no quarrel with them. Come on. I'll introduce you." She led him to another building and allowed him to meet them. The numbers surprised him. Nearly half the village must have refused to side with Athenamon. He commented on this to Hikari and she nodded. "It was split between the Saberdramon's rookies and everyone else's. Unfortunately many of the other villages in area had similar or even larger majorities.

"Yes. I'm sure that's why she picked here. Her cult was already well entrenched." Takeru said. "Hum? What about the actual Saberdramon you captured? I don't see them anywhere."

"Oh yes. I had a far more important job for them but I doubt that you'll approve." She told him mildly. He gave her a quizzical look and she laughed. "Only four of them didn't at least dedigivolve. And I've forced those four to evolve to their ultimate viral form" She gestured towards the WaruAirdramon and he nodded in comprehension. "A view from the other side may help their perspective and I need some flying Ultimates to help defend the village. There's a psychological aspect too. Athenamon will know who they are and not count them as true virii. She'll be unwilling to delete then and will therefore pull her punches."

Takeru shivered slightly at her cold logic. "I doubt that being enslaved will do much for their perspective." He told her. "And I'm sure they won't help you voluntarily."

"No." She admitted. "But my methods are fairly delicate. I don't overpower their will I subvert it. My control system makes them want to obey me. They don't feel like they are slaves. There's a good chance they'll be disappointed when I let them go" She paused for a moment. "Here's something you'll love. The code Ken used for his dark rings was definitely based on that of holy rings like the one Gatomon lost. He'd probably have had more luck if he hadn't mangled it so much. He'd certainly have done less damage." She glanced upwards as the first stars appeared. "You came in from my place didn't you?" She asked. He nodded. "Then feel free to use my gate." She led him to a digiport at the centre of the village and they went back to the real world.

------

"I just wish that I was sure that we're doing the right thing." Daisuke confided in Jun that evening. "But I'm at a loss as to what else we can do." Ever since his sister had found out about the Digital World and him being a Chosen Child he'd seen a totally different and much more serious side to her personality. One he'd never even imagined existed. The flighty, boy obsessed girl was still there but he was increasingly realising that it was mostly a mask that she wore to hide something. He wasn't sure what yet but sometimes when they were deep in conversation he'd think that he saw a brief flash of pain or grief in her eyes. Especially if, like this evening, Ken was there.

"It certainly doesn't sound like it'd be an easy choice to make." She said after a moment's reflection. "But it also seems like the only course open to you that was likely to succeed without any victory being pyrrhic. And she has granted you access to the prisoners. That's a major concession on her part. Logically that must be to reassure you."

"Or she wants to rub our noses in how powerless we are to stop her." Ken muttered bitterly. "I don't see how we can defeat that army of hers if it is following her willingly and I suspect it is."

"She appears to be playing a clever game of tactics and politics." Jun pointed out. "It's unlikely that she intends to 'rub your noses' in anything. It's most likely that she wants to make you nervous about your ability to fight her and to convince you that there are worse threats than her. Threats that you should fight first."

"Actually I'm not sure that that isn't true." Daisuke muttered. "Athenamon is a psycho. I haven't even met her yet and I know that. Hikari by comparison is disturbing but I think she's relatively sane. There does seem to be a reason to what's she doing though I'm not sure what."

"I don't think Athenamon's insanity is under debate." Jun said. "From what I know it looks like she's so sure of her rationale that she's ignoring her conscience. Presuming she has one. That just goes to show you should listen to your heart at least as much as your head."

"And the Counterdestined are definitely a danger." Ken mused. "Though so far they've limited their attentions to trying to kill us. Which is bad enough of course but I'm sure it's going to get worse. And there are other things lurking in the Shadows. How did we get into this multi-fronted war?"

"Because all your enemies attacked you at once." Jun said quietly, "Your better question would be which front do you fight first?"

"That's true!" Daisuke agreed. "And I guess that we've decided to deal with Athenamon first. Though I doubt the Counterdestined will stay out of our way. I guess we'll just have to be defensive with them."

"I think that you should keep up this détente with Hikari as well." Jun told him. "Why not make Takeru's ambassadorial position at least semi-official. It really can't hurt to keep lines of communication open."

"That's not a bad idea." He brother admitted. He opened his desk drawer to get out his d-terminal and email the suggestion to the others when his eyes fell on the thing that he'd been given in the Crystal Cavern. On impulse he lifted it out and looked at it.

"You should start carrying that." Ken advised. "It may prove useful."

"I was worried that the others might be upset. Miyako and Iori don't have Crests and the others had to give them up."

"So that's your Crest?" Jun asked. He nodded. "May I see it?"

"Sure." He handed over the tag and crest.

"It's a pretty thing isn't it." She said. "So what quality does it represent?"

"To be honest I still don't remember." He muttered and looked over at Demi-veemon. "But I'm sure that Demi does."

"Mercy!" Demi-veemon said. Wormmon nodded in agreement. "That's the Crest of Mercy and you're the Child of Mercy."

"Well that does explain a lot." Ken smiled. "Like why the presence of the Child of Vengeance distresses you so much and how come you were so willing to forgive me."

"Yes, he is very forgiving." Jun agreed. "Sometimes he's too forgiving if you asked me. But everyone has their breaking point and I dread to think what will happen when he finally looses it with our parents."

Daisuke's eyes hardened for a moment. "Well at least they behave while Ken is here." He muttered and then returned to the subject at hand. "Do you think it would upset the others if I wear this? Having my crest would be extremely useful I guess."

"Well I don't think they'd be upset." Ken said.

"They're stupid if they are." Jun agreed. "Those are powerful and you may well need all the power you can get."

"Okay. I'll start wearing it then." He looked back down into his desk as his d-terminal pinged to indicate an incoming message. Ken's went off simultaneously. "Uh oh. This can't be good." He said as he opened it.

-----

"Oh, you're still here, Takeru-kun. It's getting dark. Would you like to stay in Taichi's room?" Mrs Kamiya said when they emerged from the Study. He guessed that there had been enough mysterious comings and goings over the last few months that his still being there seemed relatively normal.

"Yes, please stay, Takeru." Hikari said in a wheedling tone. "Please."

"Hum." Takeru gave Taichi a pleading look but Hikari's brother just shrugged and said, "Why not."

"Okay, I'll stay." He acquiesced finally. "But I'd better call my mom. She's expecting me back."

"Yes, Of course." Mrs Kamiya said.

His mother was happy for him to stay at the Kamiya's. He'd done it a couple of times in the past before he'd moved to Odaiba and apparently she'd been worrying about him walking home in the dark. The only thing she asked is if he'd be okay for pyjamas.

After he got off the phone Hikari went to fetch some CDs from her room and Takeru took advantage of her absence to glare at Taichi. "Why didn't you help me out there?" He asked.

"Because she likes having you around." He replied. "She likes you. That gives you the best chance of finding out what's going on in her head and why this is happening."

"I've already told you. It's happening because it is necessary!" They both turned and found Hikari standing there. "But Takeru's welcome to try to get into my mind anytime." She added with an odd laugh. Something in her tone made Takeru shiver and not through fear and he felt his cheeks burning yet again. She obviously noticed because she laughed again. Taichi raised an eyebrow.

"Ah, I see. I should have known. You like her too." He didn't seem angry about it which relieved Takeru. "I should have realised when you reacted so badly to all this. I don't know what the others will say when they find out."

"We aren't going out or anything, onii-chan." Hikari had started to blush as well. "Not that I'd object but I don't want to cause any trouble for Takeru."

"Y-you'd go out with me?" Takeru stammered and stared at her in shock. "I-I-I-"

"Of course I would." She confirmed. "I was going to talk to you about how I felt. To see if you felt the same about me but that whole thing with Dagomon sort of intervened. I suppose that it wouldn't really be appropriate now." Her sigh was really sad and she had to make a visible effort to change the subject. "Here, onii-chan, as promised." She placed Taichi's digivice in his hand. "Please keep your side of the bargain."

"I will." He said. He was still frowning thoughtfully. "Thank you."

-----

Logan stalked silently through the lands surrounding the Counterdestined's base. He was still seething about Sean's arrival. Technically he couldn't really claim that the Child of Treachery had done anything to him but he had hated the other the other boy with a passion since they had first met in kindergarten. He hadn't known why at first but over the years he'd seen Sean sell out his 'friends' to save his own skin and break his word far too many times. He supposed that was why Sean was the Child of Treachery but Logan couldn't help feeling that Milleniummon had made a serious mistake when they countered Honour with Treachery. It was logical, he had to admit, but it was also extremely dangerous. How could a person who embodied such a concept possibly be trusted? Logan was convinced that Sean had somehow sold them out last time but had no proof.

He was so involved with musing on his frustrations that he didn't have time to react when the ground suddenly dropped out from beneath him and he found himself falling towards the large river that flowed through the region. He heard BlackAgumon calling his name before he hit the water and passed out.

When he came to he was lying on a mat in a simple hut and was covered by a plant fibre blanket. A Lutramon was sitting by him. "How did I get here?" He coughed weakly. "I was falling?"

"You landed in the river." The otter digimon confirmed. "You got a lot of water in your lungs but we got it out." It pushed a steaming bowl towards him with its nose. "This will make you feel better but I'm afraid it doesn't taste very nice."

"Why?" Logan struggled into a sitting position and looked at his rescuer.

"It's the herbs we use. They help ease the after effects of nearly drowning and stop infection but they taste awful."

"Not that!" He looked at the mixture suspiciously until the Lutramon got the hint and drank a large mouthful. Only then did he pick it up and sip it cautiously. "I meant why did you save me? You do know who I am don't you?"

"You're one of Milleniummon's dark Chosen." It shrugged. "Though I'm afraid that I'm not sure which one. We don't make value judgements. We'll help anyone in distress. What they do with their life after that is their affair."

Logan looked at the little vaccine in surprise for a moment and then nodded. "Thank you." He said finally and then frowned. "Where's my partner?"

"Still asleep. He tried to rescue you but with you unconscious he couldn't digivolve. We ended up having to pull you both out with help from the RiverDolphmon." The Lutramon pulled a curtain aside to reveal BlackAgumon sleeping on a second mat. Logan emptied the bowl, struggled to his feet, slowly walked over to his partner and checked him over. Only once he was satisfied that his Digimon was not seriously injured did he turn back to the Lutramon.

"To answer your implied question I'm the Child of Vengeance." He frowned and looked around. The Lutramon appeared to be preparing to abandon their village. "You're leaving?"

"Erm, yes." It looked scared. "Last time you people were active more than half the village were killed. Some of them were never reformatted."

"Why?" Logan asked.

"We don't know. We didn't fight them! We never fight! But they just came in destroyed the village and enslaved us. That would have been bad enough but one of the female ones seemed to take great delight in what she called 'playing' with us." It shuddered in recollection.

"I see." Logan considered that. He had to admit that it certainly sounded like something that might well have happened and he doubted the Lutramon was lying. "You saved my life. I owe you for that. If you promise not to fight back I'll make sure that you're left in peace. I promise."

The Lutramon studied his eyes for a few moments and then was apparently satisfied by what it saw there. "Let me talk to the others but I believe you." It left the hut and was gone for a few minutes. When it returned it nodded. "We accept. We wouldn't fight anyway. But will your companions."

"They'd better." Logan growled. "But if they don't I'll find some way to warn you." He promised. Then looked round as BlackAgumon began to wake up.

"L-L-Logan?" His partner asked as the Lutramon fetched another bowl of the foul tasting tea. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine!" He reassured his partner. "What about you?"

"If you're alright I'm alright. I was scared when I couldn't find you in the water." It looked at the bowl and then back at Logan who nodded reassuringly. "I tried to find you but I must have passed out…" He pulled a face at the tea.

"I know you did. Lutramon told me." Logan smiled. "We'd better get back."

-----------------------

Okay, minna-san, r&r,

I want to know what people think.