Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Precise and Exactly ❯ Precise and Exactly ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~~All disclaimers apply, all warnings-this ain't lemon, it's just fluff…*cuddles* fluffity fluff!! Enjoy, guys!!~~

~Precise and Exactly~

~part two~

After exactly forty-three seconds of staring, Osamu blinked once, then again. ~So,~ he thought. ~That's the Daisuke my brother spoke of…~

~Well, he's certainly cute enough…~ came the next thought. Osamu smiled to himself, and shook his head. ~No wonder he's moping.~

His gaze and contemplations were suddenly cut short, at that moment, when his mobile phone began to ring with its special murmur of a tone. Curious, but not surprised, he reached over to where it rested upon the table and flipped it open. "Yes?"

"'Niisan?" came a sleepy voice.

"Oh, hello, Ken. Did Momma must have let you sleep in?"

"Mmn…I was so tired after my research papers, I took a nap…I'm sorry-I only woke up a few minutes ago. Are you still at-" Ken's voice broke for a loud yawn and Osamu fought a smile. "-The café?"

"Ken-you just got over that illness-are you sure you want to be moving up and around? You get tired so easily, you know."

"I do want to come, Osamu! I really do!"

During Ken's earnest protestations, Osamu found his eyes wandering over to the figure still resting in a slump over the table, the bag and papers strewn. An idea took root in his head, and as Ken said that he missed going, Osamu smiled mischievously. "I have a better idea, Ken," he said after the boy paused for breath. "How about we go tomorrow, after you've rested up? That way, I can pick up some take-out, Momma doesn't have to cook, and we can spend the night with family? It's your birthday-it's only fair we share you, right?"

Ken hesitated slightly before responding, his voice polite, but years of living with the boy made the slight hitch noticeable. "All right, 'Niisan. I'm sure Momma would like that."

"Hey, cheer up! I'll bring you home a treat, okay?" ~Boy, will I ever,~ he thought with a bubble of laughter, but continued to speak before that same laughter overflowed. "Now, you rest up and I should be there in a little while. Tell Momma, okay?"

"Of course," Ken replied. "Ja, 'niisan."

"Ja ne, Kenny-boy."

Snapping the slim piece of electronic shut, Osamu gazed at it with a smile lurking around his mouth and shook his head. ~Surprise, little brother!~ he thought, then looked up. Now to convince the 'treat' to follow him home.

~=~

"Daisuke? Your name is Daisuke, right?"

Bewildered, Daisuke raised his head off his arms and opened his eyes, taking in the immaculate slacks and pressed shirt, the hands that carried a briefcase and suit-jacket. His gaze traveled up, as he scowled faintly, and met the oddly amused eyes behind the slightly squared glasses on a smooth and familiar face. "So? What do you want?"

The man smirked, and without asking, pulled out the chair and seated himself down. The briefcase went on the floor with careful movements and the coat was folded neatly across the lap. Daisuke watched the man with astonishment and suspicion, noting his odd-colored tousled hair and glaring. The man smiled wider, then, and leaned one elbow on the table.

"Can I help you?" Daisuke made his voice icy.

"No, but I can help you!" the man said cheerfully and offered a hand. "Ichijouji Osamu-I believe you know my brother?"

"…What?" Daisuke glanced at the hand in surprise, before staring at him in sudden distress. "What are you talking about?"

"Hmm," Osamu said, peering at him oddly and raising a brow. "My brother? About this height, kinda looks like me-without the hair, of course-"

Daisuke merely stared at him, surprise making it difficult to think coherently.

"Fine, ruin my fun," the man muttered, and rubbed his forehead. "Okay-let's start again." He paused, and held out his hand again. "Hello, my name is Osamu-my brother's half-mad over you and my mother thinks you're a god. There, happy?"

Daisuke made a faint choking noise. "…What?"

Osamu burst into laughter at the wide-eyed look. "Oh, dear-forgive me. I suppose I shouldn't have pulled such a prank," he remarked, chuckling. "Daisuke, right? Like I said, you know my brother Ken-and my mother was thrilled at the picture you drew. She was absolutely ecstatic, believe it or not. It's hanging on the wall of the family home."

Again, all Daisuke managed to do was stare. ~He's that brother…~ "You're…you're Ken's 'Niisan?"

"That's right."

"Oh…" Daisuke blinked rapidly, and dropped his eyes to his hands. ~It's him-I'm so stupid-did he say half-mad?~ His fingers pressed uselessly against the grain of the table, his expression downcast. "Um…so…how is he doing?"

"He's doing better," Osamu replied. "Can I ask you a personal question?"

Daisuke shrugged.

"Well-he mentioned to me that he kissed you-it's true, right?" He watched those cheeks flame suddenly, caught the half-panicked look, the twist of hurt as those eyes rose to his in a brief glance and the strangled yip. "You see, before I came home Ken would write to me daily-even when he was ill-"

"He was ill?"

Warily, Osamu drew up his brows in surprise. "You didn't…know?"

Daisuke opened his mouth several times, before he turned his face away. "No," he said softly. "The last time I saw him he was on a bus, it was raining out, and…I…"

"Let me guess-you forgot to say 'Call me?'"

Daisuke's voice dropped even quieter. "I thought he was going to be here the next day…"

"I see…" Osamu murmured, then smiled gently. "Daisuke, my father is a business man. Six months ago he received a bonus that allowed him to choose the company best suited to his expertise. He chose one, but it meant that Momma and Ken would have to move to another city. Naturally, this was nearly a day's drive away, and Ken was reluctant to go, but they went. The night you last saw my brother was the night before they moved."

Daisuke was watching him with wide eyes. ~This is…he didn't just forget about me…he-~ "Then what?"

"Before school started Ken came down with a sickness that the Americans call 'mono' and became extremely ill. I think that his depression over the move aggravated his illness, but my father wouldn't listen to Momma, and I was not there. I've only been in the city for a few hours today-"

"Is he okay?"

"He's getting better. Momma refused to let him out of the house, and today would have been the exception, only Ken overslept. Otherwise, he would be here, seated with you and most likely blushing, if I know him. He's not one for such impulsive behavior," Osamu teased.

"Oh-" Mortified, Daisuke slunk in his seat. "So he-he still thinks about me?" His eyes, sparking into something that Osamu classified as 'starstruck' peered up at him hopefully.

"Yes-in fact, that brings me to a question. I believe that my mother would love to meet you, having heard endlessly shy stories from my little brother about the sweet punk-artist who drew her baby's portrait-" Osamu grinned, ran fingers through his hair. "So, Daisuke, how about you help me carry home some take-out?"

Swallowing, his stomach flipping with sudden excitement, Daisuke wondered if this was a dream. "Are you serious? But-your mom wants to meet me?"

"Yes, she does. And I said I'd bring Ken a treat-it's his birthday, you know-what better treat then the boy he's half-mad over?" Osamu winked. "Besides, thanks to me and my…tastes, as you will, she's already accepted the whole same-sex thing. You have nothing to fear, Daisuke."

After five months, two weeks, and four days, Daisuke found himself walking to the bus stop and aboard the vehicle, following the brother of the boy he had fallen in love with. The experience seemed ephemeral and hazy, as if he couldn't quite believe it. Things stood out in sharp contrast, memories and brief flashes of a downtown area he had never traveled through before stored in his mind.

Through it all, one thought kept repeating itself. ~I'm going to see him…I'm going to Ken…and it's his birthday!~ Then, a thought occurred to him halfway through the trip. "Osamu-kun…" He looked at the young man seated across from him. "Can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead," Osamu waved a hand.

"If your family moved so far…why are they back in this part of the city?"

"You remember what I said about Ken being sick? Well, he was hospitalized for a short bit-and my mother was quite upset. It took her two days to convince my father that moving back into more familiar area would help Ken overcome his illness. So he agreed, and Momma and Ken moved home." Osamu smiled a bit more gently at him. "Ken is…special to me. As a child he would emulate me, follow me around and, well, idolize me. But-" Osamu raised a brow. "My brother isn't me, but he won't admit it. I hope, with time, you'll get him to be more of the Ken he hides, Daisuke."

Daisuke blinked, and nodded slowly, his arms wrapped around his bag of art and glanced out of the window. Fear and anticipation, dread and a strange sweet curling pushed around inside of him, making it hard to think. He wondered vaguely if the sound of his heartbeat could be heard over the roar of the engine…

He wondered what he'd say, what he'd do when he saw Ken-wondered if the boy would smile, or just nod, or…or…

~I'm going to see him again…shouldn't I be bringing flowers or something? Maybe candy, or…~

~…baka…calm down,~ he thought as his heart jumped at the thought.

~Just…just calm down…~

~=~

"Nervous?"

Daisuke looked up at the taller young man, swallowed once and shrugged. "A bit…" he said softly. In fact, even as he spoke, he had to restrain his hands from shaking, trying to breathe more normally. "It's just…I haven't seen him in nearly six months, Ichijouji-san. I-I don't know if-"

"It'll be okay," Osamu replied with a smile. "Trust me, it'll work out." Then he turned back the waiting door, one hand placed upon the knob. "Stay here, okay?"

Daisuke nodded shortly, and watched as Osamu entered, calling out a greeting and shutting the door behind him quietly. ~Here goes nothing,~ he thought. ~This is the plan…wait for the signal…~

~Wait for the signal? What kind of plan is this? Oh god oh god-I feel like my heart's gonna drop through the floor…~

Voices beyond the door, softer-Daisuke had to strain to listen, wondered if it was Ken-

He jumped as the door opened again, eyes wide and heart nearly stopped. Osamu grinned out at him, that infernal glint of mischief in his eyes.

"Come on-he fell asleep! Come on, Daisuke, inside!"

Before he knew it, a hand reached out and yanked him through, giving him barely a moment's pause to slip out of his shoes, and all the while Osamu chuckled softly to himself. Daisuke stumbled, feeling startled and excited and like he was about to laugh.

"Osamu!" a woman's voice scolded. "Be nice!"

Daisuke looked up, clutching the bag to him in reflex, and blinked. A smiling woman descended on him, pushing Osamu away-who was rolling his eyes-with gentle hands. "A-ano…I…"

"Here," the woman said, who Daisuke guessed to be the mother-and he could see traces of Ken in the way she moved, the soft smile around her eyes and face. "It's alright," she said to Daisuke. "Come inside-Osamu-chan can be a nuisance, I know."

Osamu sighed, striking a dramatic pose in which he rubbed his forehead and muttered, "Wonder why I even bothered…" He coughed, shaking his head, and clapped Daisuke on the back. "Momma, this is Daisuke-I mentioned him before? He's here to see Ken-"

"Oh, that's wonderful-Ken doesn't get to see many of his friends. I'm glad you stopped by, Daisuke-kun." The woman pushed up Daisuke's chin with her fingers, smiling broadly at him, and then pulled Daisuke into a hug without warning. He squeaked, smelling flour and a faint general 'mom' scent.

When she pulled away and released him, Osamu was hiding a suspicious looking smile behind his hand as she started for him with a similar intention. He noticed none of these, a bright pink color flooding his cheeks and ears-no one had ever hugged him so enthusiastically before-and shuffled his feet. He smiled shyly.

"Momma-" Osamu said from the confines of her arms. "You'll wrinkle my shirt!"

Daisuke smiled wider as she fussed. "Umm…Did you-did you really like it?" Shyness and an odd mix of eagerness and modesty kept his words soft. "The picture, I mean…"

"Oh, of course!" Riku exclaimed from where she was fiddling with the collar of Osamu's shirt. "It's up on the wall in the living room-go and look, if you'd like! It's in a wonderful cherry-wood frame and it's so pretty-"

"Momma, don't tug like that!"

"-Just be quiet, Daisuke-kun. Ken needs his sleep yet and he was up studying-"

"All right," Daisuke murmured, and found his way out of the room. He walked slowly, peering at the various doors, and into the open bathroom, before he found the semi-dark living room. He wondered briefly why he was supposed to be quiet-and if he was supposed to be quiet all over the place-as he wandered in. His bag was still clutched tight, almost held like a pillow as he scanned the walls.

And then he did see it, the white paper standing brightly in the faded light. It stood out from sheer size compared to the smaller frames, and as he made his way over there, took time to examine the few pictures that the Ichijouji family did have. He noticed in most of them thee same slightly sullen look that both boys held about them, the faint rebellion they tried to win away. No smiles, even though the parents would beam proudly, hands upon shoulders as they posed.

And then there was his portrait, a singular sketch done of the same boy who stared at him in insolence, only with this…On paper, he seemed more real thatn a simple photo. On paper, Ken merely lounged, a faint air of contentment around him. He leaned on one elbow, the other hand pressed down upon the pages of a slim novel. His eyes and faint smile belied a fascination, the simple sweep of his hair around his neck.

Daisuke found it hard to breath, merely looking at it, thinking that it was the best thing he had ever drawn. It captured the spirit, the element of a person, and fixated it to the world.

~I still can't believe I drew that…~ He smiled faintly, feeling his heart thumping, and swallowed. ~I can't believe I'm here…I'm going to see him very very soon…~

~I think I'm going to faint…~

And then, as he turned around, his heart thudded suddenly with unexpected force, and he almost did faint.

The bag fell to the floor with a muted thump-

And Daisuke felt all his breath leave his body in a wheeze of surprise, and looked down upon a sleeping Ken, sprawled-somehow, the elegance and grace never seemed to leave-upon the couch.

~Oh god.~

~=~

"What do you think he'll do?" Osamu whispered over his shoulder, and grinned back to his mother.

She smacked him gently. "Stop spying, and help me set up dinner, child."

"But this is better than Ryu's soap operas!"

"Osamu! Leave them be!"

~=~

~Oh wow,~ was the next thing that Daisuke remembered thinking. With the room half-shrouded in shade as it was, Ken still managed to glimmer in the remaining light like a flame, his skin pale and smooth. Daisuke felt his fingers itch, urges to reach out and touch.

~I think I get what she said "Be quiet"-but they could've told me he was in here…~ Daisuke stared, noticing the contrast in shadows across one flung hand, the other dangling as gracefully as the boy. A thin blanket was scrunched up around the waist, baring feet just as pale and slim as the rest of Ken, and what appeared to be a loose pair of sweatpants. A baggy sweater, loose pajama-like clothing-Daisuke had never thought to see him in such carefree fabrics.

~I wonder if they planned this…It wouldn't surprise me,~ Daisuke thought, and sank into a seated position upon the floor across from Ken. Breathless, he reached over, taking his eyes off Ken for a moment to grab his bag from where it had fallen, and dragged it near. His back against the small coffee table, Daisuke silently slid out one of the unfinished art-books and caressed the cover.

He hadn't touched the thing in several months…and now…

A smile touched his lips, as mischievous as the grins Osamu was giving his mother in the kitchen, and opened it up, flipped to a clean page and dug for a pencil. Now he was going to draw Ken, in a state only family ever saw him in, and then, after he had done so…

Well, he knew what kind of gift to give to Ken now.

It was all too easy to fall into that simple state of how his pencil flowed across the page, the marks it left, and how the shadows went, the lines of the face. It was a breathtaking thing, watching the image unfold upon the paper, his stomach in fine tremors, and his mouth dry. Not once during his quick and noiseless sketching did Ken shift, in any faltering movements that suggested awareness.

~Almost done,~ Daisuke told himself, barely able to breath from the fact that only ten minutes had passed. Barely able to inhale the needed air as his hand moved, his eyes fixated upon that pale upturned face, the narrow brows and dark lashes. The curve of the cheek, the lines of the wrist, the crook of the slender fingers…all of it sketched in haste, in perfection, upon the square of clean paper.

"…what are you doing?" came a really quiet whisper, and in startled panic, Daisuke raised his eyes. He stared at the still sleeping Ken, confused, until Osamu, peering around the corner, smiled and gave a soft laugh. "Oiy-are you drawing him?" came the incredulous whisper.

Daisuke nodded, faintly red in the face and replied just as quietly, "I'm almost done…"

"Momma will like that," Osamu replied. He paused, watched while Daisuke edged the eraser down the paper. He moved closer, leaning over the couch. "Can you finish it later? It's time to eat and I need to wake him…but I want this to be a surprise, okay?"

Caught with the pencil between his teeth again, Daisuke could only nod.

"Okay, I told Momma, and you're to wait in the hall, okay?"

It took him moments to reach his feet, while it felt like aeons to gather his things, his heart trip-timing in his chest. Osamu grinned that mischievous grin at him again, winked at him, as he walked by, and Daisuke couldn't help feeling a bubbling jolt of laughter. He smiled back, and slipped into the kitchen. He winked at the mother of the two, setting his bag and the artbook in the corner before looking around in helpless hesitation.

Rika grinned at him, shooing him silently onward, every movement in her body betraying her amusement. "It'll only take a moment-and I'll leave the door open. You'll know when to come back, Daisuke-kun." She took him by the arms and pressed a kiss upon his forehead. "Don't worry-he'll be happy to see you. As happy as I am for him, do you understand?"

"Yes," Daisuke whispered. "I do-I feel…I feel so…" He couldn't describe it, couldn't bring to mind the words needed. "It's been exactly five months, two weeks and four days, Ichijouji-san, and it feels like it's been forever…"

Rika's smile widened. "I understand-now go, before Osamu wakes him up!"

As if cued by her words, Osamu yelled out, "Ken-chaaan-wake up, you little brat!" and something large whoomfed, and someone-Ken, Daisuke knew-shrieked in surprise.

"Auigh-Osamu!"

Apparently it was normal to have one's brother jump on the couch. It must have been effective, as brilliant peals of laughter echoed, and suddenly Ken was laughing too. Daisuke didn't let himself wait for more-hearing the voice sent his mind whirling, his stomach dissolving into annoying shivers, and he slipped out of the door before anything more could happen. He had to force himself to stop from laughing hysterically, one hand pressed over his heart, the other a fist from the effort. His heart pounded against his palm, while his lungs and his brain refused to work.

Laughing…that laughter seemed so familiar, so…Daisuke felt his stomach tighten, and he smiled. With the door lodged open a fraction, he could hear the conversation inside perfectly.

"Ne, Ken-what did you want for your birthday?" Osamu called out. The sound of the fridge opening, and shutting, and then the boy spoke again. "Don't tell me you want books again…"

"No," came the low voice, still fuzzy from sleep. "I don't need anything, really."

"Well, that's too bad-I can't take your present back. Lost the receipt, you know."

"Niisan, just having you home is enough right now. I'm fine with everything." Ken chided softly. Glass clinked, and the sound of something pouring.

"Liar!" Osamu muttered.

"Both of you sit, now," Rika replied calmly. "The food is getting cold."

"Ken," Osamu replied, and chairs scraped against the floor. "There's gotta be something you want more than anything…"

"No…well, maybe some extra memory for my computer…but really…I don't need anything!" Ken's voice was quiet, oddly subdued, as if he was merely being polite. Daisuke felt a skein of hope tangle inside his stomach, forced the urge to run away, the conflictions of mind and heart, and swallowed.

Osamu didn't say anything for a moment. Then he cleared his throat, and with a smile so vibrant Daisuke could see it in his voice, he said, "In that case, I guess I'll have to go burn your present, since you don't want it."

"Osamu!" Rika scolded. "Don't be rude-Ken, stop being polite and accept the gift already! Honestly, I wonder how on earth I managed to get sons like you two…"

"Very well," Ken murmured. "But I'm burning them if they're socks…"

"Ha! You wish, little brother-now sit down, shut up and close your eyes! No peeking!!"

Footsteps, shot through with the wild disbelief that it was really happening, and the door opened. Daisuke looked up to see Osamu's grinning face, the bright indigo eyes behind the lenses, and tousled hair.

"Ready?" the older boy whispered.

Daisuke nodded, slowly, jerking his head when his neck refused to bend properly. A hand reached out and snagged his wrist, and Daisuke found himself pulled inside, stocking feet skidding silently on the tiled floor, heart in his throat.

~Oh god…~

Ken sat primly in the chair, hands in his lap and eyes firmly shut, the oversized clothing giving him a faintly childlike look for all of his seventeen years. His hair was mussed and uncombed, his cheeks still flushed with sleep, and a tinge of excitement that Ken was too well-raised to show tensed his frame.

Daisuke could have died, right there, and been happy with his life. Instead, he froze, shooting Osamu-who was still grinning that crazy half-assed grin-a wild look that clearly said, 'What the hell should I do?' He glanced down at Ken again, his heart thumping suddenly.

~Oh-my gift!~ he thought, and ihaled shakily. He slid with silent feet to where he had stashed his bag, and unzipped it. He cast a cautious look over his shoulder to make sure Ken was still there, eyes shut, and yanked out the four art-filled books. His hands shook, as he raised them free, and added the fifth, unfilled, to the pile. Dizzy, unable to express this need, the sudden lack of shyness, he spun on his knees and pushed himself to where Ken sat.

Osamu and Rika were watching with barely-controlled features, their eyes bright, and eager, as Daisuke approached. They had no idea that Daisuke held his carefully hoarded art, his ideas and innermost thoughts, his dreams and hopes.

With shaking hands, he placed them upon the lap of Ken, the boy he had known for intimately for three months, one week and two days, lived with the loss of such intimacy for five more months and two weeks, four days. And he watched, as Ken furrowed his brow in confusion, his hands lifting and pressing fingers against the objects in his laps.

"You're giving me paper?" he asked wryly, but kept his eyes closed. "Osamu-can I open my eyes now?"

As the background seemed to fade, Daisuke cleared his throat and with a shaky voice replied, "The moment you do, I'm starting my count over…Today is the first day, Ken."

The hands stilled, slowly, and the mouth parted. A faint gasp gathered behind the lips, and the eyes opened. Vivid surprise, pain, and indescribable disbelief, a joy of sorts, colored them a brilliant lapis. Ken stared at him, the face paling slowly, taking in his kneeling form, his hesitant waiting expression. His eyes dropped to the books in his lap, staring at them, and slowly raised his eyes again. The mouth that had pressed the chaste kiss to his in the rain moved, mouthing something.

Daisuke shrugged, his eyes dropping to where his art lay, and traced a finger over the topmost book. "That's all of my art, all drawn during those first three months…I want you to have it. It's my gift to you."

"How…how did you-" Ken rasped.

Osamu coughed discreetly. "Oh, he followed me home, and I thought he was cute, so I decided to keep him." Then he winked, as Ken stared at his brother, and continued. "I could have made him pop out of a cake, but that's so cliché…I figured the surprise thing worked better."

Blushing, Ken lowered his eyes, ducking his head and ran fingers over the cardboard cover. "I can't believe this…I can't believe this is happening-I'm still asleep, I must be-" Ken ran fingers through his sleep-mussed hair, murmuring, "Oh my-I must look a mess-"

"No comment!" Osamu replied.

Daisuke felt his grin widen, felt his body trembling as Ken shot Osamu a faint glare. "Your chaos is showing," he said to Ken, and laughed as the boy grinned at their private joke.

"My exact chaos," Ken returned. "Just as you have measured precision. I'm glad you're here," he said in a lower voice. "I've missed you."

"Yes," Daisuke said. "My thoughts precisely, and exactly."

~=~

~Epilogue~

"You drew me when I was sleeping?! Daisuke-how could you?!"

~~

Whee! It's done!! Mwahahah!!!

My fics are currently at http://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/src.php?auth=59248 and Digi! Art can be found at http://athravan.deviantart.com so I hope to hear from you!! I miss all of you!! *hugs*