Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Renewal of the Forgotten ❯ Just Another Day? ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The clouds outside parted for just a moment giving the sun a chance to peak through. A ray of light filtered through the gap in the curtain of the room where Emma and Kayla slept. Though her eyes were still closed they stung from the sudden bright light, so Kayla buried her face in her arm. Emma stretched her legs and arms out as far as she could which resulted in her sitting up abruptly and clutching her right leg.

“Ow...ow,ow,ow,ow...ooooh! Leg cramp, leg cramp!” Emma strained to say as she rocked back and forth on the spot, waiting for the sharp pain in her leg to cease. Kayla yawned slightly and shifted in her sleeping bag.

“Mmm...wha’dyou do?” Said Kayla a little annoyed since she detested being woken up so early in the morning unless there was something on fire. Emma continued rocking back and forth as she rubbed her leg. After a minute the pain finally subsided, but her leg was now sore.

“Got a cramp in my leg,” said Emma a bit out of breath. She let out a huge yawn and stretched her arms out far again until she heard a crack in her back. Then she nudged Kayla’s arm.

“C’mon, let’s go get some breakfast...”

“MmNNnnaah,” was Kayla’s reply. “I’m gonna sleep a little longer. You can go eat though.”

After a couple of minutes of untangling herself from her sleeping bag and blankets she got up and walked across the hall to her room. A second later Emma dragged her feet back to the previous room and kicked Kayla lightly with her foot.

“It’s 10:30, Kayla.”

“M’kay, I’m getting up.” She yawned and slowly got up and trudged down stairs after Emma. Once in the living room she flopped down on the slightly-darker-than-lime-green couch while Emma went into the kitchen to ceremoniously open and close every cabinet in the kitchen while she debated with herself on what to eat. She finally decided on having some toast with peanut butter, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. While she was waiting for the toaster to finish with her bread, a creaking noise signaled that someone was coming down the stairs. A moment later Emma’s mom entered the living room.

“Morning girls. Oh, I was going to make you girls breakfast,” Emma’s mom said after seeing Emma had already made hers.

“Cha’s okay Mohm,” Emma replied through a mouthful of peanut butter. She swallowed it forcefully and licked the remaining peanut butter off the roof of her mouth before continuing. “We’re fine. We had a lot to eat last night anyway so we’re not too hungry.”

“Okay, well if you’re sure...” her mom said, then she proceeded to make herself a cup of tea. Emma leaned against the yellow living room wall opposite the couch as she continued to eat her toast. Emma was lost deep in thought for a minute as she munched away at her toast with enthusiasm before something came to her attention.
“Hey Kayla, Yu-Gi-Oh! will be on in less than half an hour!”

Kayla lifted her head off the couch a bit and glanced at Emma with sleep fogged eyes. “Yu-Gi-Oh?.....Yay!” she said with a half dazed voice before plopping her head back on the couch. Emma finished the last of her toast and she began tracing her finger around the glass plate, licking the remnants of the cinnamon and sugar off her finger. Finally satisfied she licked a few leftover sugar crystals off her lip and headed for the kitchen sink. Her mom had been tidying up the living room while she was eating.

“Emma,” her mom sighed, “how many times do I have to tell you to put your things away?”

Emma placed her plate in the sink, and she could hear Kayla snickering at the other end of the living room. “What do you mean,” Emma asked a bit surprised before giving Kayla a look of mock annoyance, “I didn’t leave anything down here last night.”

“Then what do you call these?” her mom said in that ‘mother knows best’ sort of tone. Emma went back into the living room curious of what her mom was talking about. Her mom held out two electronic devices in her hands. Somehow they looked strangely familiar. Emma looked at them closely for a minute before a “Woah...cool” escaped her lips. Kayla lifted her head off the couch again and gave her head a quick shake to move the hair from her eyes to see what was so ‘woah...cool’. Emma took the devices from her mom as Kayla slipped off the couch to join them.

“Where’d you get these mom? They’re cool!”

“You mean they’re not yours?” Her mom said, now obviously confused. Both girls shook their heads in response.
~
A couple minutes later the two girls were back upstairs in the room they had spent the night in. Both were closely examining the devices as the small TV played the all too familiar opening to Yu-Gi-Oh! The devices looked almost exactly like the ones the digidestined owned on Season 1 of Digimon. There were some obvious differences however. They were much more detailed than the ones from the show, and a bit larger, and they contained many more buttons. One of the devices was grey with the faintest hint of a purple hue, like the sky during a thick fog in the early morning just as the sun is rising. The other was a deep dark blood red, almost a maroon color, like half dried blood. Kayla rotated the grey device in her hands wondering how to turn it on. Emma was wondering the same thing as she frantically pressed every button on the red device she held in her hands.

“Do they need batteries,” Kayla wondered aloud. “I don’t see a place to put batteries though,” she continued after she looked over her device once more.

~KAIBA!....I was right all along, you’re exactly like your step-father! Why else would you keep his helicopters to protect you?!~ Alaster could be heard screaming at Seto Kaiba on the TV. Emma snickered to herself having remembered seeing this episode before and remembering that it was one of her favorites.

“Maybe we need to unscrew the back of it,” Emma suggested, but upon turning it over noticed that there were no screws visible. “Well, guess that’s out of the question,” a hint of defeat in her voice.

“So what the hell are we supposed to do with them?” Kayla asked turning to her friend. Emma just shrugged and shook her head, still attempting to turn on the device and finally resulting to shaking it forcefully. But nothing she tried worked. They both sat there for a while, still playing with their new ‘toys’ as the watched Yu-Gi-Oh!

“Do you think they’re, real?” Kayla said out loud the question they both wanted answered.

~I think you’re nuts. But now’s not the best time to argue.~

Both girls looked at each other before they burst out laughing, for Seto Kaiba had just replied to Kayla’s question.
~
The two friends had temporarily given up on figuring out the mystery of the devices. Instead they spent their day exploring. There was a trail up near Emma’s grandparent’s house that she had been wanting to show Kayla. The trail took them to a single lane gravel road that took a steep drop down hill. Houses were scattered here and there along the lengthy gravel road, and even though the trail that took them there wasn’t a long one, Emma still didn’t recognize this part of town and that’s why she wanted to explore it. They had fun exploring the area, except for the part where a 10 pound dog who thought it was a Rottweiler had chased them across someone’s property, which caused them to startle the cow that had nearly trampled them.

Later, after they grabbed a slice of pizza at the rather large local supermarket ‘Central Market’, they headed back home where they engaged in several rounds of the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game and talked about how cool it would be if they had a dual disk to use. It was almost 4:00 in the afternoon when they decided to get on the internet to look up pictures of the Yu-Gi-Oh! characters so they could begin planning how they would make the outfits for their home made movie. Kayla had decided she wanted to be Mokuba since she was about the right height, and Emma had chosen to be Mai after Kayla had told her she was too tall to play Yami Yugi, much to Emma’s dismay.

“Is it on the internet yet?” Kayla inquired.

“Almost...ok now it is.”

“Okay, look up Mokuba first.”

“Fine, hold on.”

Emma had just begun typing Mokuba’s name in the search engine when the computer screen suddenly flickered and went black.

“What the freak?!” Emma yelled after a short pause. She angrily tapped a key or two on the keyboard to see if the screen would come back on.

“Did it get unplugged?” Kayla asked. But she wasn’t answered by Emma, instead a wailing noise made both girls jump and look around quickly for the source of the noise. It didn’t take either girl long to notice the noise was being emitted from the devices they had come across earlier that morning. They shared wide-eyed glances before they unhooked the devices from the sides of their pants. The devices whirred and beep, emitting high pitched sounds that caused Emma’s dog to look at them funny, tilting her head to one side before she began her own high pitched whining. The computer screen suddenly flickered back on but it still wasn’t completely normal. Strange warped colors ran over the screen as if an invisible hand had run itself over the thin, flexible laptop monitor. The dog got up and started howling a bit as she made her way over to the screaming devices, which were now shaking violently in the girls’ hands. The computer screen was now growing brighter, illuminating the room. The girls moaned and shielded their eyes as the screen continued to grow brighter and brighter until the blinding white light had filled the entire room and that was the only thing that could be seen. The girls could not hear their own screaming above everything else that was happening.

And just as suddenly as it all began, the white light disappeared as if someone had flipped a switch and the computer screen was back on the Yahoo homepage, Mokuba’s unfinished name typed into the search engine. The dog emitted a short whine before letting out a half hearted bark. Her tailed wagged lazily behind her as she tilted her head at the computer. The large black blob known as the cat was backed into a corner hissing furiously. And nowhere to be seen were the two best friends...