Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Renewal of the Forgotten ❯ Cold and Alone ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A stone wall about three feet high jutted out of the ground and ran along the beach for about 20 feet, close to where the waves hit their high mark, before descending back into the grey sand. Further along the beach to the west(if you were facing the water) some drift wood scattered itself here and there, and some large structures loomed in the distance behind them. It was indistinguishable whether they were buildings or cliff faces. A dense evergreen forest sat on a gradual uphill slope behind the stone wall about a quarter of a mile away. And a strong wind blew through the area in sparatic bursts.

Kayla stumbled in the sand as the latest burst of wind sent her off balance. She threw her hands in front of her to keep her from imprinting her face on the ground. She regained her balance and slowly stood up and began scraping off the damp grey sand that had caked itself on her hands. She surveyed her surroundings through the hair that was sent whipping across her face by the gusts of wind. However, it obstructed her view so badly she couldn’t determine what it was she was looking at and therefor had to hold her hair back with one hand and keep her balance with the other until the wind died down.

The coarse grey sand littered with bits of broken shells and large pebbles, the salty seaweed scent that lingered in the air, the dull colored, overcast sky, the turbulent frigid waters that seemed to lash out at the beach without mercy, the driftwood that stacked itself like a maze at the far end of the beach, and the dense forest backdrop, made the whole area look like your typical Washington state beach on a windy November afternoon. But the lack of life in the area was unnerving to Kayla. And the ghostly howl of the wind through the not so distant forest did nothing to calm her. Just a moment ago she was in the living room of her friend’s house. But now she was all alone on a desolate beach and her friend was no where in sight, and she had no clue how she arrived here in the first place.

“EMMA!,” she called out the moment the wind had died down. She waited expectantly for a reply, but none came. “EMMA!,” she called out again, the desperation in her voice a little more clear. But any response that may have come would have been swallowed by the latest gust of wind that started up just as Kayla called her friend’s name for the second time. She waited out the wind by trying to keep her balance. After several long minutes the wind finally died down again. After a short pause to make sure it would stay that way for a while Kayla lifted her head to the sky and let out a sharp long howl. It was a form of communication that her and Emma used and she was sure Emma would recognize it the minute she heard it...that is if she was within range of hearing it. The harsh berating of the ocean water on the sand was the only thing that responded. Finally realizing defeat and giving up her futile attempts to contact her friend she trudged through the sand towards the rock wall and decided to take a seat on top of it until she figured out what to do next.

The noise of the wind and the ocean waves became background noise as Kayla became lost in her thoughts, and she unconsciously leaned forward against the wind’s never ending battle to knock her off the wall.

‘I should just try walking through those woods back there...but it looks like it’s going to get dark soon and I might get lost. Or eaten...man, it’s cold out here. I wish I had a jacket. I hope it doesn’t start to hail, I hate the hail. It hurts.’ She thought to herself after an unwary glance at the sky. She went back to mulling things over in her head for several more minutes until a white spot bouncing on the horizon caught her eye. The white object was being hurled back and forth by the motions of the waves. Kayla went into a trance like state as she watched the object move slowly in the direction of the shore. She unconsciously rubbed her arms with her hands to keep herself warm as she was previously in a warmer environment and wasn’t wearing proper clothing for a windy day at the beach. The movements of the white object were somehow soothing to watch even though the movements were harsh and abrupt. The closer the white object got to the shore the less volatile the movements became since the water was calmer near the shore than it was two miles out. Now only ten yards out it was still difficult to determine what it was. At first Kayla had thought it was a buoy, but now she wasn’t so sure. The object eventually was washed onto the shore not more than 6 feet from the end of the stone wall. Kayla got down off of her perch on the rock wall and picked up a small near by piece of driftwood before going to examine the object. Standing about 2 feet away, she reached out and prodded the white blob.

“OW!” yelped the white blob. Kayla, startled, jumped back. She gripped her stick with both hands and prepared to defend herself. Then she watched with wide eyes as the white blob began to move. It slowly turned itself over to reveal a head complete with a bush of wild orange hair running in a line down the center of it like a mohawk. It looked like it was made up of a dozen little cowlicks because of the waters that were previously tossing the creature around like a rag doll. The creature also had four small flippers with three onyx black claws on each. Purple markings covered its face and back. It looked like a very strange looking seal pup. It glared up at Kayla with large black eyes.

“Do you mind? Do you always go around poking people with sticks?” it spoke again. Kayla’s eyes grew even wider as she realized what exactly this creature was.

“Gomamon?!” she squeaked, and she began looking around her nervously. The seal like creature raised an eyebrow at her.

“You know who I am?” he said, shocked that someone who obviously was human knew his name.

“Y-you don’t have any of those fishy things with you do you?” Kayla said, growing more nervous with every passing second. She continued looking behind as if someone was after her.

“Oh! You mean these guys?” Gomamon said with a friendly smile. “Marching Fishes!” he yelled out. A dull rumble could be heard before hundreds of small colorful fish shot out of the water like a fireworks display. Kayla’s jaw dropped in pure horror before she shrieked and the stick she was holding slipped from her hands and fell onto the sand.

“WAAHHHHHH!!!” she turned to run but tripped over her own feet in the process and did a face plant into the ground. Her face now caked with chunks of grey sand she quickly scrambled back to her feet and ran off down the beach at full blast, stumbling every so often, and screaming continuously, the many colorful fish in hot pursuit. Gomamon watched the scene play out and raised another eyebrow.
“What was her problem?”
Converting /tmp/phphWc92c to /dev/stdout