Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Renewal of the Forgotten ❯ One Thing Leads to Another ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*I don’t own digimon, I think that’s a given.

So far: Two best friends, Emma and Kayla, have been transported to the digital world and were separated in the process. Kayla found herself on a cold deserted beach, but soon befriended a lone Gomamon that happened to drift into the area, though he’d rather harass Kayla instead of help her. Emma however suffered a near death experience at the guns of a Gargomon. She barely escaped with the help of a Moosemon. But it was the appearance of Emma’s partner digimon that stopped the crazed shooter…

* * *

The girl and bird-like digimon embraced for several minutes. To each of them it seemed as though they had found a missing piece of themselves that they hadn’t realized was missing. They relished in the joy that washed over them a moment longer before parting.

“I’m in the mood for grilled cheese,” said Gargomon, breaking the peaceful silence as he clambered over his log. It took a moment for his words to penetrate Emma’s mind.

“Wh-what?!” she said taken aback. “First you try to kill us, then you pretend to be buddies?! The hell is up with you?!”

“Uh...” replied Gargomon, a bit shocked at the response. He looked over to Moosemon whose leg was still trickling blood. “You didn’t tell them...did you? Nope, you didn’t.” Gargomon plopped down on his already partially crushed tree trunk with an exhausted sigh.

“I apologize,” Moosemon said, bowing his head at the Gargomon. “In our haste I failed to inform my human friend of our game.”

“Game? What game?” interjected Emma. The Moosemon limped shakily over to the other three.

“We Moosemon and Gargomon here,” he motioned with his head, “have a game that we play here in the Native Forest. It is one of the only forms of entertainment we have here. Our game is played similar to tag, however in our case the tagee gets reformatted rather than becoming the new tager. However, in our excitement we had forgotten the fact that you are human and can be easily killed by this sort of game.”

“No shit, Sherlock,” was the response he received. She looked at the two in disbelief for a moment before speaking again.

“So the whole damn thing was just a bloody game?” She pushed herself off the ground and onto her good leg. “YOU COULD HAVE TOLD ME!!!” she screamed at the Moosemon. The Moosemon bowed once more.

“Again, I apologize.”

The girl huffed and pulled at her hair thinking of what else she wanted to scream at them. The bird-like digimon just stood there looking stoic. After a moment the girl limped over to the partially crushed tree trunk and half sat-half fell next to Gargomon who had taken to blowing the dried leaves out of his revolver-like hands. She put her face in her hands and uttered a muffled, frustrated scream. Then she stamped her good foot on the ground a couple of times before falling sideways against the log. She uttered yet another frustrated scream as she began thumping her head against the dead tree.

Gargomon looked from the girl to the other two digimon, “Do all humans act like this?”

Moosemon merely shrugged.

“Don’t look at me,” said the bird-like digimon, “He’s known her longer than I have,” she motioned to Moosemon. They were once again quiet, waiting for the human to finish her tantrum.

“May I suggest we begin moving on,” Moosemon stated, breaking the silence. He was looking up at a darkening patch of sky through the thick canopy of trees. “It will be dark soon. The village is not far off. We can find food there, and mend our wounds.”

Emma slowly sat up. “I am a little hungry,” said a quiet voice from behind a curtain of tangled hair. At that Gargomon hopped off the tree trunk.

“Glad that’s finally settled. I’m starving. Wonder if Coelamon’s gonna be at the village tonight. He sure does make a mean grilled cheese sandwich…,” Gargomon headed into the tangle of forest. Moosemon turned to Emma.

“We’ll move much faster if you ride on my back again.”

“But…you have a bad leg too.”

“Yes, but I still have three good ones. You only have one good leg,” he smiled at her.

The girl didn’t argue the matter, since he had a point. She limped over to him and with the help of the red and black bird digimon was able to climb onto his back. The three soon caught up to Gargomon.

“So, Biyomon, you said…you said something about the TV show? Have you seen the Digimon show,” Emma asked, suddenly remembering the curious thing the bird digimon had said about an hour before.

“Yes, I have,” she replied. She was perched on Gargomon’s head. “And by the way, it’s Piyomon, not Biyomon.”

“That’s right,” said Emma, “in the original Japanese version it’s Piyomon, which means…”

“Chirping-bird monster,” Piyomon finished.

“Yup. But when they brought the show over to America and dubbed it they changed it from Piyomon to Biyomon, even though Piyomon makes more sense. Why’d they change it in the first place? I never understood that.”

“Not sure. I found it a bit odd too.”

“You said you’ve seen the show, but where…how did you see it?”

“Well, it’s a curious thing actually. A couple months ago I was hired by Grey Lord to do some work around his lab, among other things…”

“You work for Grey Lord? In the Overdell?” Emma interrupted, “I’ve always wanted to meet him!” she continued excitedly. Piyomon smiled at her.

“I could introduce you to him,” suggested Piyomon. The girl’s face lit up and Piyomon smiled again.

“I dunno ‘bout you but Grey Lord always gave me the heebie-jeebies,” interjected Gargomon, and he gave an involuntary shiver.

“It’s true, he strikes most digimons as a bit creepy, but he’s really not that bad once you get to know him.”

“But how does working for Grey Lord have anything to do with watching the Digimon TV show?” asked Emma.

“Oh yeah, the show. Well, before I was hired by Grey Lord I wasn’t even living anywhere near File Island. I was originally living on the continent of RAM. It neighbors Server.”

“You lived all the way over there?” Moosemon looked at Piyomon, astonished. “How did you come to live on our humble little island,” Moosemon almost laughed the question. Piyomon fluffed her feathers.

“Well I was fairly well known in my town. It wasn’t a horribly big town, but big enough. I was known for doing odd jobs around town, but most days I worked as a server at the local diner. Right down the street from the diner was Saber Corp. They do deliveries for businesses mainly. They had a temporary opening, and, well, I decided I needed a change of routine…”

*FLASHBACK*

The bell on top of the glass door jingled as it swung open announcing the arrival of hopefully another highly paying customer. At least that’s what the Silphymon behind the counter hoped as he looked up from his copy of The Daily Reboot.

“Welcome to Saber Corp. Deliveries. How may we assist in your deliveries this fine afternoon,” he said putting on his deal-sealing smiling. His smile slowly faded to confusion as he discovered that the space on the other side of the counter remained empty.

“I read in the paper that you had a temporary opening,” said a voice. Silphymon leaned over the counter and found the voice belonged to a Piyomon, who obviously was shorter than the counter.

“Ah, yes, the job opening…where’s that,” he said as he began shuffling through some papers until he finally pulled out a clipboard. “Ah, it’s on here somewhere…,” he flipped back and forth through papers on the clipboard. He came to one that was labeled ‘URGENT’ on the top in red letters.

“The, uh…File Island delivery…oh yeah!” He leaned back over the counter. “The File Island delivery, right?” he asked the Piyomon. The Piyomon merely shrugged.

“The paper just said you had a temporary position.”

The Silphymon flipped through the clipboard once more just to make sure. He leaned over the counter again.

“Yup, it’s the File Island one. Glad you’re here. File Island’s basically in the…middle of nowhere,” said Silphymon, “that’s why none of the regulars here wanted to take it…you still want the job don’t you? It pays well,” he added hurriedly, mentally smacking himself for telling the Piyomon the real reason no one else wanted the job.

The Piyomon nodded without hesitation and the Silphymon discretely let out a sigh of relief.

“That’s great, let me just tell my boss,” He reached over and hit the intercom button. “Ms. Saber? There’s a Piyomon here looking to take the temp. job.” He took his finger off the button and waited for the reply. A second later there was some static and then a harsh voice came over the speaker.

“Did you tell her she’s going to the middle of nowhere?”

“Yes,” replied the Silphymon.

“And she still wants to take the job?”

“Yes.”

There was a short pause before the harsh voice answered, “Okay, I’ll be out in a minute.”

The Silphymon tapped a finger nervously on the counter. Moments later some shuffling noises were heard and a large door behind the counter and down the hall to the left opened and through the door stepped a rather large bird, almost identical to a Birdramon except it was black: Saberdramon. The Saberdramon walked awkwardly down the hall until she was standing next to the Silphymon. She looked at the empty space in front of them then back at the Silphymon.

“Well? Where is she?”

The Silphymon looked at her for a moment before saying, “down there,” and gave her a look that said ‘duh’.

“Oh yes, of course.” The Saberdramon stretched her neck over the counter and looked down at the Piyomon.

“So, you’re here for the job?”

Piyomon nodded.

“Can you evolve? It’s a big load.”

“Yes,” the Piyomon said simply. The Saberdramon nodded.

“The job pays 10,000 bits. You’ll be paid once you make the deliveries. Silphymon will take you to the loading area.”

Silphymon nodded as the Saberdramon headed back through the door from which she came.

“Well, uh, come on back,” Silphymon said to the Piyomon. The Piyomon fluttered onto the counter and hopped off the other side. Silphymon lead the Piyomon down the hall and opened a door adjacent to the one the Saberdramon went through.

“This is the loading dock,” he said, stepping back from the door. The Piyomon peered through the door at the loading dock, which would have looked more like an airplane hangar from a human’s perspective. Several different species of bird digimon were seen flying in and out of the hangar. Those coming in were tended to by the ground workers, who would bring them food and water, mend broken or damaged feathers, or ready one of the nests at the far end of the hangar so the returning delivery-birds could rest.

The Silphymon tapped a foot impatiently. “Well, any day now…”

The Piyomon jumped with a start. “Oh, yeah, sorry…,” and she glided down the stairs leading into the hangar. Silphymon followed, closing the door behind him.

“Hey, Meteormon! Over here!” Silphymon waved over what looked like a Gotsumon only he was twice the size and more brown in color. “I got a Piyomon here for the File Island job.”

The Meteormon began to smile but the smile turned to concern. “Uh…,” he said, looking at the Piyomon hesitantly, “ain’t she a bit small for the order?”

“Oh that’s right, I need to evolve don’t I.”

“Might help,” said the Silphymon with playful sarcasm. With a small burst of light the Piyomon evolved into her more pre-historic looking form of Birdramon.

“That’s a whole lot better,” said Meteormon. “I’ll bring the load to dock 3.”

“Ok,” said Silphymon looking back to his clipboard. He began to walk towards the empty loading zone and waved at the Birdramon to follow him.

“So, do you know where File Island is?”

“No,” replied Birdramon.

“Well that’s fine, it’s basically South West of here,” he motioned in the general direction. “Now, the main order goes to a guy named Monochromon. Owns a small market located in Great Canyon. It’s near the top, there are lots neon signs, you can’t miss it. Now, uh, File Islands been hitting some rough times, and Great Canyon isn’t generally the safest place anyway, so watch out. From what Monochromon told us there’s another Birdramon in the Great Canyon area with a bit of an attitude. Watch out for her more than anyone else. When flying to the island don’t fly to low to the water because sometimes the Divermon will shoot harpoons. About half way to the island you’ll start seeing schools of Coelamon. If you need any kind of help at all just ask them. And…I think that’s it. Think you can handle it?”

The Birdramon nodded. At the same moment Meteormon arrived with the load which was neatly stacked on a palette and wrapped with plastic wrap. Two ropes went through the palette and were tied together at the top to make a sort of handle. Silphymon ripped a ticket off the clipboard and stuffed it in between two of the boxes on the palette.

“That’s the receipt to give to Monochromon. As a representative of Saber Corp. Deliveries I’d like to thank you for your help,” Silphymon saluted.

“Hey Silphy,” said a sweet voice. All three of them turned to see a Kazemon walking seductively in their direction.

“Kazemon!” The Silphymon tossed the clipboard to Meteormon and then he ran over to Kazemon, picking her up by the waist and twirling her around before embracing her.

“What are you doing here Kaze?”

“Well I just though I’d surprise my boy, that’s all,” she said, playfully poking him in the chest. Then she pulled him close and whispered in his ear. Being a bird, Birdramon could easily hear what was being said, unlike the Meteormon, although, from the look on his face he already knew what they were talking about.

“Hey, uh, Meteormon…I’m gonna take my break now. Mind watching the desk for me while I’m gone?” Kazemon however wasn’t giving Meteormon much of a choice as she was already dragging Silphymon away.

“I’ll take care of it, just get out of here already, you’re making me sick,” he waved the clipboard at them. Meteormon turned back to Birdramon rolling his eyes. “Lucky bastard…,” he muttered. “Well, have fun with that order. Should take you a day to get there. Hey, I’ve got a cousin on the island, bit of a loon, but if you see him would you mind saying hi for me?”

“Sure,” replied Birdramon. Then she spread her wings and leapt into the air, snatching the rope handle of the cargo with her talons before taking off. The Meteormon waved at her as she flew towards the horizon.

*fastforward*

Birdramon weaved through the mid-level of Great Canyon keeping an eagle-eye out for the other Birdramon who just happened to be on a hormonal rampage when she ran into her minutes earlier. She looked behind her as she thought she saw a flicker of orange fly behind a precipice about 50 yards away. She looked forward just in time to see the many neon signs that surrounded a black door in the side of the canyon wall that she was about to fly smack into. She fumbled in the air trying slow down and gain elevation at the same time. She didn’t gain enough elevation however since the edge of the palette nicked part of the cliff. Luckily the cargo remained undamaged. Birdramon lowered the cargo to the ground and quickly de-evolved back to Piyomon.

“Well, Silphymon was right…I can’t miss it,” Piyomon said to herself. She fluffed her feathers then pushed open the black door of Monochromon’s shop. A ding acknowledged her arrival to Monochromon, who stopped doing inventory and turned around to greet her.

“Welcome to Great Canyon Market. How may I help you?”

“I have a delivery for you…oh I forgot the ticket….” Piyomon ran back out the door and came back in two seconds later with a slip of paper. She placed it on the counter in front of Monochromon. He peered at the piece of paper.

“Ah, the portable potties! I was starting to get worried they weren’t going to arrive…think those Muchomon were rearing to murder me any day now,” he grumbled. Monochromon followed the Piyomon outside and together they brought the load inside and unwrapped it.

“Here’s the 6,000 bits I owe you,” Monochromon said, handing Piyomon an envelope. The Piyomon took the envelope but looked at him in confusion.

“But…but Ms. Saber said the delivery was 10,000 bits.”

“It says 6,000 on the receipt,” he said showing her the slip of paper. Piyomon saw the 6,000 at the bottom and scowled at it.

“That damn bird lied to me,” she replied in a dark tone. The Monochromon could only sympathize with her before he went back to unloading the palette. Piyomon turned on her heel and was about to storm out when Monochromon stopped her.

“There’s another package here that doesn’t belong to me… I think it belongs to Grey Lord. Maybe that’s your missing 4,000 bits?” Monochromon suggested. He handed the parcel to Piyomon who was now dumbfounded.

“Grey Lord…who’s that,” she asked.

“He’s a Myotismon that lives in the mansion in the Overdell, just west of here. Don’t worry, he’s a complete 180 from your average Myotismon. I’d be more worried of his Flarizamon guards,” Monochromon chuckled. Piyomon nodded and left the small market. She began walking west like the Monochromon told her. And then…she reached the cliff edge. On the other side of the canyon she could make out the mansion that Monochromon mentioned. With one last weary look over her shoulder to make sure the enemy Birdramon was no where in sight Piyomon flew across the canyon. Within seconds of landing she heard an argument.

Her destination, the mansion, seemed out of place compared to the rest of the area: a dusty, rocky environment that eventually lead to a tropical jungle. The mansion was surrounded by a cobblestone wall, and at the front a rusted iron gate guarded on either side by a Flarizamon, the voices of the argument. It seemed a Goburimon was causing them grief.

“Damn you Goburimon,” one of the Flarizamon yelled tossing a fist sized rock at the small goblin creature. The Goburimon dodged it easily, grumbled something back at the Flarizamon then shook his butt at him. The enraged Flarizamon got ready to attack but his companion stopped.

“Don’t bother, we never hit him with our attacks…I got something better,” he said, smirking. The other Flarizamon hopped through the rusted iron gate and appeared to be digging through some junk. He appeared back outside the gate a moment later with an automatic rifle.

“I tripped over this yesterday,” he said with a satisfied smile. The first Flarizamon gave an evil laugh in agreement.

“Hey, Goburimon! Over here!” The second yelled. The Goburimon looked up at him, now very concerned about their change in attitude. “Eat lead you little bastard,” was the war cry before he emptied the magazine on the Goburimon. The gunfire sent him scampering away towards the jungle. He nearly tripped Piyomon on the way there. The two flaming lizard digimon erupted in raucous laughter.

Piyomon hid her fear well as she walked up to the two. Their laughter halted when they saw the small Piyomon approach.

“Eh, what do you want?” The first Flarizamon queried.

“I have a delivery for Grey Lord,” she answered meekly. The Flarizamons nodded.

“Ok, go on in,” the second said.

Piyomon walked past the rusted iron gate. Immediately she felt a temperature change of about 20 degrees. The courtyard was littered with junk, mostly broken electrical equipment. Two dead decaying trees blocked out most of the sky. An eerie wind wisped through the trees making them creak and moan. What’s more, the mansion seemed as if it was under the cover of dark storm clouds, even though in reality the skies were clear for miles around and the mid-afternoon sun was almost scorching. The mansion itself would have been a beautiful thing…if it weren’t for the peeling grey paint. A disoriented Tsukaimon could be seen plodding its way through a heap of dismantled computers at the base of one of the trees.

Piyomon eventually made her way to the front door and knocked. A Soulmon hovered nearby, watching her. Finally the door opened and she was greeted by a DarkFlarizamon who spoke in a sweet voice which startled Piyomon since she expected the dark lizard to sound gruffer.

“Hello there, may I help you?”

“I…uh…yeah…I have a delivery for Grey Lord…,” stuttered Piyomon.

“Ah yes, come in.” And she stepped aside to let Piyomon in. The Piyomon stepped into the grand estate and looked around. Whatever she saw outside in the courtyard it vastly misrepresented the inside of the mansion. Beautiful carved Mahogany was everywhere, it made up the stair railings, the doors, and the furniture. Crushed red velvet ran from the front door all the way up the stairs. Lastly a beautiful polished brass chandelier hung overhead dousing the foyer in crystalline light.

The front door creaked loudly as the DarkFlarizamon shut it.

“Hmm, I’ll have to get one of the Tekkamon out here to fix that.” She turned to face Piyomon. “This way, I believe Grey Lord is in the dining room,” she smiled at her. The DarkFlarizamon walked over and opened two grand doors on the left side of the foyer. Piyomon followed the DarkFlarizamon through the doors into the dining room, which was just as grand as the foyer. A dark cloaked figure was sitting at the head of the carved Mahogany table bent over some papers.

“Excuse my interruption Grey Lord, but we have a visitor,” DarkFlarizamon announced. The dark figure, a Myotismon, looked up.

“Oh, hello Lady Riza…uh, what did you say,” he asked, shaking his head a bit and rubbing his eyes.

“This Piyomon is here with a package for you, Grey Lord.” The DarkFlarizamon gently pushed Piyomon forward. She took the hint and slowly walked up to the exhausted Myotismon. It took him a moment to focus his gaze on the Piyomon, he was evidently tired beyond belief. Piyomon handed him the small parcel then took a step back. The Myotismon held the package in front of his face and stared at it wearily. Suddenly his face lit up and he seemed rejuvenated as looked up at the DarkFlarizamon.

“Lady Riza, this is it,” he exclaimed. “This is the piece I’ve been waiting for! Please, take this back to the lab. Give it to Andromon, he’ll know what to do with it.”

“Right away my Lord,” said Lady Riza, and she took the parcel and left. Piyomon looked once more at the Myotismon who had gone back to his papers and slowly began to leave, completely forgetting that he owed her money.

“No need to hurry off,” said Grey Lord. Piyomon turned around. “Unless of course you’re in a hurry that is.”

Piyomon shook her head. “The delivery was just a temporary job,” she said quietly. The Myotismon smiled at her.

“Then perhaps you wouldn’t mind joining me for some lunch. It’s been a while since we’ve had any decent company.”

“…Ok,” Piyomon finally decided.

“Excellent.” Grey Lord turned around and shouted, “Octomon, come here please.”

An Octomon wearing a chef’s hat entered the dining room from a door beside the fireplace. “Lunch time already?”

“Yes, Octomon. And we have a guest joining us today,” he motioned towards Piyomon.

“Ah, a guest! How does grilled Digi-seabass topped with a white wine Happy Mushroom sauce and rice pilaf on the side with champagne cake with white chocolate gnash for desert sound?”

“It makes you sound long winded,” Grey Lord smirked. “But yes, that’s sounds excellent.”

The Octomon grumbled but smirked back. “Digi-seabass it is.” The words ‘smart ass’ could be heard as the Octomon exited into the kitchen. Grey Lord turned back to Piyomon.

“So, where are you from, if you don’t mind me asking?”

Piyomon hopped onto one of the chairs. “I’m from the RAM continent.”
Grey Lord looked stunned. “The RAM continent…but that’s…my, I didn’t think my piece was such a long distance order. So, that probably means you have to leave right away then.”

“Actually, I don’t work for the delivery company. And I’ve been wanting a change of environment. So I was actually thinking of staying on the Island for a while.”

“Ah, that’s excellent. You see, I’ve been looking for an assistant. In particular someone who doesn’t have a knack for breaking things…I assume you saw the front yard.”

Piyomon nodded. Myotismon chuckled, “That’s what I have to deal with. So far you seem like the non-destructive type. You mentioned you may want to stay on the island for a while. This mansion, though it may not look it, is probably one of the safest places on File Island. If you do decide to become my assistant you’ll be allowed to reside here at the mansion, in a room of your own. You can eat good food every night. The chef can make just about anything you want….So, what do you say?”

It was hard to argue with a deal like that. “Sounds good,” said Piyomon.

“Excellent!” Grey Lord exclaimed, slapping his hands on the table. “Then if you don’t mind I’d like to get started with something right away…after we eat of course.”

An hour later Grey Lord was leading Piyomon through the laboratory.

“What is that stuff,” Piyomon asked pointing to some large bulbous pulsing vines that seemed to be invading the aisle way and some of the computer equipment.

“Oh, just some experiment gone wrong I think. I believe someone injected plant digimon DDNA into the computer mainframe.”

Grey Lord opened a door to a smaller room. A television, VCR, and a few computers sat on a table against the wall. Like most of the laboratory rooms this one was also infested with some of the strange bulbous vines, as well as junk littering the corners of the room.

“This first task I have for you is easy. I assume you know of the real world?”

“Of course. The digital world can’t exist without it.”

“Exactly right. Well, in the real world they had a television series about digimon, and I believe they hold a clue to something…something that I need for another experiment. I don’t exactly have the time to go through and watch all the tapes myself, so that’s what I need you to do.”

“So what exactly am I looking for in the tapes,” Piyomon asked. Grey Lord shook his head.

“Don’t worry about that right now, just review all of the tapes. Then come find me when you’re done and I’ll tell you what to do next.”
At that moment a Guardromon entered the room.

“Sir, we need you in Lab X-2 right away.”

“Yes, I’m coming.” He turned to Piyomon. “The tapes are in the storage cabinet. If you need anything ask one of the Tekkamon.”

He hurriedly followed the Guardromon out of the room…

*END FLASHBACK*

“Meteormon was right, that Silphymon is a lucky bastard. I mean do you know how hard it is to get a date with a Kazemon? I asked one out once…she totally blew me off. Literally. That tornado of hers sent me flying across the island. I landed on a Penguinmon picking mushrooms near the Ice Sanctuary….”

“Excuse me, but is your brain broken?” Piyomon scolded Gargomon.

“Uh, I don’t think so.”

“The problem is, Piyomon,” Emma began laughing hysterically, “I don’t think he’s thinking with his brain!”

“We are here,” announced Moosemon. The four of had arrived in the main city of File Island. Despite the many buildings the town was almost deserted.

“Finally. I really need to stretch my legs,” Emma said. She slid off Moosemon’s back and Piyomon fluttered off Gargomon’s head. The two of them started walking into the heart of the city. Gargomon turned to Moosemon.

“What did I say?”

Moosemon just shook his head and followed the girl and her Piyomon.

*Note: This is the longest chapter so far. Hopefully this and the next couple of chapters will clear up exactly why Emma and Kayla were brought to the digital world. Please Read and Review, thanks.