Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Renewal of the Forgotten ❯ An Explanation ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*disclaimer: I don’t own digimon...do I look like I own digimon?

So far: As Emma, Moosemon, Piyomon, and Gargomon made their way to File City they listened to Piyomon’s story of how she came to File Island and became an assistant to Grey Lord of the Overdell...

The sun set over File Island as Emma, Piyomon, Moosemon, and Gargomon entered the city center.

“Wow this place is deserted,” Emma said as she looked around. “It reminds me of the game.”

“What game?” asked Gargomon.

“In the real world we have a game called Digimon World. In it File City was deserted because the digimon that used to live there forgot how to talk so they turned wild and left the city.”

“Well that’s not quite what happened here,” said a voice.

“Hey Jiji! When’re we havin’ dinner?” Gargomon chirped. Emma turned to see a short shaggy creature that looked like a cross between a small old man and a sheep dog. In one of his hands he held a staff, taller than he was, with some sort of large animal paw on the top of it. Emma recognized him as the wise mega level digimon known as Jijimon.

“In a minute,” he told the gun-toting rabbit. He turned back to the girl. “You must be one of the humans I’ve predicted...”

“One of the humans? You mean you know where my friend is?” Emma asked cutting him off.

“Her exact location I do not know, however she should be arriving here at the city fairly soon. She seems to be in the company of a Gomamon.”

Gargomon scratched the back of his head. “I still don’t understand you Jiji, how do you always know everything?”

“Well, that I happened to hear from a Karatenmon who was flying through the forest earlier.”

“Oh, so when are we having dinner?”

Jijimon grumbled something under his breath. Emma suddenly burst out laughing.

“Uh what’s so funny?” Gargomon asked.

“Kayla...Gomamon...MARCHING FISHES!!!” she gasped between breaths, and she doubled over from laughing so hard.

“Eh...I don’t get it,” he said scratching the back of his head again.

“Inside joke.”

“Interesting...well...Follow me!” Jijimon shouted pointing his staff in the direction of a hut or house of some sort. It was pieced together from a multitude of items, mostly junk items such as scraps of cardboard, cement blocks, and the lid of a giant tin can...again it reminded Emma of the game. The group followed Jijimon behind the house which was seated on one edge of the small town, so the back yard as it were was basically in the forest. Already there piling sticks, twigs, and leaves into a pile was a large fish covered in metal armor with clawed fins: Coelamon.

“Hey Coelamon, grilled cheese tonight?” Gargomon shouted enthusiastically.

“You know it,” he replied. “Who’s the kid? Oh, and heya Moosemon, you don’t come by often, what’s the occasion?”

“It just so happened that certain circumstances brought me here.”

“Still the cryptic one I see,” Coelamon laughed. “So kid, what’s your name?”

“My name’s Emma.”

“Well, we have lots to talk about,” Jijimon interrupted. He took his staff and whacked the pile of tinder that Coelamon was collecting and it erupted into flames. Everyone seated themselves around the fire on the dense cool grass. The cool grass felt good on Emma’s swollen ankle. She touched it to see how bad it hurt. It was still quite sore but it seemed to be getting better.

“Ah yes, I see you and Moosemon here both have injuries. I’ll have Centarumon come and take a look at the both of you in the morning. But as I said, we have much to talk about, however we should wait until the other human arrives. Until then, Emma was it? Why don’t you tell us about yourself?”

While Emma told everyone how she came to the digital world and answered their questions about the real world, Coelamon proceeded to make dinner: grilled cheese sandwiches as Gargomon had requested.


“So, you guys really know a lot about the digital world already because of all these games and TV shows and stuff, right,” said Gargomon through a mouthful of grilled cheese sandwich. Emma swallowed before answering.

“Well…I dunno, because as far as I know the TV shows and games are just fictional. They each have a different story line. So I’m not really sure wha…,” Gargomon covered her mouth with one of his ears.

“Shh, I hear something,” he whispered. His other ear was up in the air like a radio antenna.

“What is it,” Jijimon asked, hobbling up to him urgently. They kept quiet as Gargomon listened.

“It…it sounds like someone’s in the town, I hear voices.”

“Well, go on! Go check it out.”

“Right-o!” said Gargomon. He took a flying leap onto the roof of Jijimon’s house and much crashing and banging resulted. A shriek followed.

“GARGOMON! That damn rabbit is going to destroy what’s left of this town if he keeps doing that!” Jijimon growled with the ferocity of a rogue bear. He hobbled off into town to see the damage done to his house. Emma, Moosemon, and Coelamon followed out of curiosity.

“I got ‘im Jiji!”

“Ow! What’s going on?! Let me go or I’ll keelhaul you!”

“Damn rabbit, let go of them! It’s no wonder nobody comes here anymore!”

“I got ‘im, I got ‘im!” Gargomon continued to scream.

“I’ll break your legs if you don’t get off me,” the previous threatening voice screamed.

“Stop squishing me!” yelled a new voice.

Emma listened to the voices carefully and realized that the threatening voice sounded familiar... “Hey, get off my friend you idiot!” She yelled at Gargomon before jumping into the fray. She launched herself onto Gargomon’s back and somehow got one of her legs around his neck and attempted to strangle him, yanking back on his ears at the same time.

Gargomon, in his enthusiasm, continued to scream a mangled: “A Ga mm! A Ga mm! A Ga mm!”

Coelamon found the chaos very amusing while Moosemon watched with a semi-confused indifference to the situation. Jijimon had finally grew fed up with it all(mostly because of Gargomon).
“EVERYONE STOP!!!” Jijimon roared.

There was immediate silence. Everyone froze in place. Jijimon tapped his staff on the ground once and the paw on the top began glowing green. He used it as a flashlight to illuminate the frozen wrestling match. Gargomon was starting to turn blue from the lack of oxygen caused by Emma’s leg...but he still managed to mouth the words ‘I got ‘im, I got ‘im’. Hanging from Gargomon’s arm, trying to release herself from a headlock by attempting to bite through his arm was the girl Emma recognized as her friend Kayla. Being squished between Gargomon’s other arm and his body was a small Gomamon. Jijimon rubbed his head with his hand.

“Gargomon...” he tried to say calmly. “Let...go...of...them. Before my ulcer starts bleeding...”

Slowly, the gun-toting rabbit loosened his grip on his captives. Gomamon dropped to the ground and crawled away from Gargomon, gasping for air. Kayla jumped away as soon as she could and spat on the ground to get the taste of flesh out of her mouth. Emma ungracefully fell off Gargomon and landed with a thud. Gargomon himself started rubbing his head and getting oxygen into his lungs.

“Hey Gargomon,” said Gomamon. “Ever hear of a bath? You should invest in one. You wreak!”

Coelamon couldn’t hold it in anymore. He let out a belly laugh that echoed out across the deserted town. “Oh man, that was classic,” he said trying to wipe the tears from his eyes.

“I don’t have time for this...” Jijimon grumbled under his breath.

Moosemon who had been silent until now said: “I believe Jijimon would like us to get back to the task at hand. We should head back to the fire.”

Jijimon just turned around and walked back himself while everyone else sorted themselves out.

“Emma!” Kayla ran up to her friend who was still lying on the ground. Emma put up an arm and Kayla pulled her friend up. “I was looking all over for you, and then I ran into Gomamon and he chased me with his fishes,” she told her friend while glaring daggers at the seal like digimon.

“Heh heh...” he replied nervously. “Well you have to admit it was pretty funny for the first 30 minutes...” he faltered under her gaze “...okay maybe it wasn’t so funny,” he mumbled and began making his way quickly over to the fire behind Jijimon’s house.

“I was looking for you too,” said Emma. “Ow...my ankle,” she winced.

“What’d you do to your ankle?”
“I’m blonde, that’s what I did to my ankle,” she said jokingly. “Nah, I twisted it one too many times. Then I ran into Moosemon, and then we ran into Gargomon...who started shooting at us.” Kayla growled at the mention of Gargomon’s name.

The rest of the group finally headed back to the fire where Jijimon looked like his head was about to split in half.

“I swear on what’s left of my sanity, Gargomon...one of these days you’re going to be the end of us all.”

“Bastard,” Kayla glared at the rabbit.

“What’d I do?!” he whined.

“You shot at the captain, that’s what you did!” she yelled, threatening a long, painful death with her eyes.

“But I...who’s the captain?”

“That would be me,” Emma raised her hand. Gargomon looked confused.

“What are you the captain of?”

“Can we PLEASE get on with business?” Jujimon suddenly yelled.

“...sorry Jiji...” Gargomon said meekly. Though Coelamon was laughing on the inside he looked at his dense friend and shook his head as if to say, ‘just shut up, dude’.

“YOU may not realize this, thick as you are Gargomon, but our world is suffering a crisis at the moment, and these two girls here are part of the key to fixing it.”

The rabbit almost opened his mouth to ask how they were going to help, but under the gazes of Kayla, Moosemon, Biyomon and Jijimon, he decided that for once it may be better to keep his mouth shut.

“Now, Emma, you mentioned something about a game, where the citizens of File Island forgot how to speak and left the town, am I correct?”

Emma nodded.

“As I said earlier, that isn’t exactly what happened. However something else similar did happened. You see, the digital world used to be a thriving place, new data coming in every day. As it so happens the digital world thrived because of the humans in the real world that believed in it and the digimon. But over the past few years it seems that many humans have lost their belief in our world, if not completely forgotten about it. At first no one here thought it was an actual problem until...”
Jijimon rubbed his head again with his hand and sighed.

“Until digimon began disappearing,” Coelamon continued. “We thought at first, well maybe they left the Island. After all it’s small and quite a few digimon do get bored with the place after a while unless they were born here. It wasn’t until Grey Lord actually came into town one day and told us about some research he had been doing. He told us that digimon weren’t “disappearing”, they were literally DISAPPEARING. As in, their data went poof, gone.”

“Oh my gosh,” Emma whispered.

“And usually digimon get reconfigured when they “die”, right? Not this time, if their data’s gone poof, there’s nothing to get reconfigured. We’ve been living these past few years with the fear that we might just go poof one day, never to come back. So that’s when we made a crucial decision. We had to some how summon some humans to our world. If they could bring proof of our world back to there’s, we’d have a chance at survival. So Grey Lord, being the only one in the area with the technology to do something like that, was volunteered for the job. I think you were helping him with that job, weren’t you Piyomon?”

Piymon nodded.

“And now you guys are here, so we’re okay now!” Gargomon said happily.

“But it isn’t quite that simple,” Jijimon said, still looking annoyed at Gargomon.

“But...what do you mean? The humans are here now, can’t we just, give them a piece of your house and send them home to show it to everyone? Then everyone will know we exist and we’ll be fine.”

Coelamon shoved another grilled cheese sandwich into Gargomon’s mouth to keep him occupied. Jijimon sighed.

“The thing is, there’s someone in our world that’s trying to help the process along. The process of our disappearance that is.”

“Who is it? We’ll tie them to a tree and brake their legs for you,” Kayla offered.

“If only it were that easy,” Jijimon laughed a bit at Kayla’s harsh enthusiasm. “They’re much too powerful, whoever they are. They want all the digimon here to disappear so that they can reform the digital world into something of their own creation. Obviously their intentions are not of a good nature.”

“But if all the digimon disappear, won’t they disappear too? Kinda defeats the purpose doesn’t it?” Emma asked.

“Unfortunately we believe they’ve found a way to overcome this. We know so far that the digimon causing this is a dark digimon. As to the exact digimon, we are unsure.”

“One more question, exactly how is this digimon helping the disappearing process along?”

“Somehow they’ve gained access to the World Wide Web,” Said Piyomon. “They’ve been shutting down web sites, and deleting any information dealing with digimon. Or at least trying to. I’ve been working with Grey Lord to restore the lost information. We’ve also been constructing immense firewalls and virus deletion protocols. We’ve had more than a few sleepless nights.”

All was silent for the next few minutes as the situation set in. For the two girls the past day had almost seemed surreal. Were they really in the digital world? Or were they both having a really f-ed up dream? But after all they had both done that day it was getting very hard to deny that it wasn’t really happening. But now to find out it was up to the two of them to keep the world alive...not only in the regular way of defeating an enemy, but actually convincing a whole other world that this supposedly fictional one existed? Normally it would be a lot to take in, but these two humans just kind of looked at it and thought, ‘go figure’.

“So basically,” Emma said finally, “it’s the same old both worlds are in danger and you suck in some humans against their will to fight along side with digimon partners, because only with our powers combined can we defeat evil, yadda yadda yadda, etcetera etcetera?”

“Pretty much,” Coelamon answered.

“Well,” Jijimon finally spoke. “I suppose we should get to sleep. We have a lot to do tomorrow.”

“...Oh my God! This is SO cliché!” Emma yelled, and she fell over backwards.