Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Renewal of the Forgotten ❯ Home Remodeling With Giromon ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own digimon. Only the ones I’ve created myself.

***

“WHAT?!” Emma slammed her fist on the mahogany table. After the confusion with Gazimon earlier that day, Grey Lord had summoned the girls and their new found digimon partners to his extravagant dining hall for a nice lunch by his personal chef, Octomon. The conversation had become sour when Grey Lord shared with them his plan.

“But we just got here,” chimed in Kayla, “and now you want to send us back?”

“Please listen to all I have to say before you get upset,” Grey Lord replied calmly. “I’m sending you home because it seems another human was found here in the Digital World.”

“Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.” Emma stabbed at some leftover salad on her plate.

“Wouldn’t it make more sense to send us to go find him?” asked Kayla.

“It’s not quite that simple. The problem is where this human is located. It’s not safe for you to go there at this time.”

“Okay, listen.” said Emma, leaning forward on her elbows. “You brought us here for a reason. You want us to go fight...whoever it is we’re supposed to fight,” Emma made circles in the air with her fork, “Obviously that implies some risk. What was the point of even bringing us here if you’re just going to turn around and say, ‘well, I’ve decided it’s too dangerous, you have to go home now like good little children.’?”

“Yes, I know it seems that way, but if you’d politely let me finish explaining you’ll see my reasoning.”

Piyomon placed a wing on Emma’s arm. “Please just listen to him. He knows what he’s doing.”

The girl reluctantly let Grey Lord continue.

“Besides you two, we have been tracking some other humans. Humans that the Digital World ‘felt’ connected to. One of those humans is the one I’ve just spoke of. The other human’s signal was located fairly close to yours, Emma. I believe you may even know this human.”

Kayla, Piyomon, and Gazimon stared at Emma while she stared at Grey Lord with her mouth open.

“...huh?”

“Unfortunately we’ve recently lost the signal. It’s likely that this human has relocated.”

“So you want us to go to the Human World and look for this human instead?” asked Gazimon.
“Exactly. With this other human and their digimon partner I think you’ll be better prepared to go find the human that’s already here in the Digital World.”

***

Mabel had been napping almost peacefully in her large cushy bed next to a black cat that vaguely resembled a blob. Earlier that day had been quite eventful for her, however it resulted in her being left home alone yet again. She was used to the rest of her family being gone all day. She usually slept all afternoon anyway so it never really bugged her much.

Presently she woke up. She blinked her eyes a few times and shook her head. Getting up she stretched, scratched her belly a few times, and sat at her favorite spot in front of the window still foggy eyed. She yawned. Something had woken her up, but she wasn’t quite sure what. Some Caterpillars sounded across the way, digging out new foundations for a housing complex...no that wasn’t it. They’d been there for a couple of years and the noise was now almost unnoticeable. Some birds chirped quite angrily outside, probably scaring a cat away from their nest...no, no, that wasn’t it either.

She stopped thinking to scratch her ear and then shook her head again. Maybe she woke up because it was lunch time. She always did wake up just in time for lunch. Though that seemed like the most reasonable answer she still had a feeling that it wasn’t quite right. While she continued to think something odd was happening to the laptop sitting in the living room. The computer had sat there for the past hour displaying the Yahoo homepage but now it had suddenly gone blank. Almost instantly it began emitting a very high pitched note.

That was it! That noise! That’s what she woke up for! Mabel turned around and stared intently at the computer while the cat woke up himself and began hissing. A bright light momentarily illuminated the room. Several thuds could be heard.

“RAWRF, RAWRF!”

***
Grey Lord led the group into one of the guarded laboratories. Piyomon stopped just outside the door to the lab and looked behind her. Something was very suspicious.

“Before you leave I have something very important to give you. It is a top priority that you protect these things with your life until you find this human.” Grey Lord exclaimed. He walked up to a glass case in a corner of the room, but what was in it the girls couldn’t see.

“What is it?” Gazimon asked. Grey Lord pulled something delicately out of the glass case and turned around. He had two items in his hands and he passed each off to the girls. The older girl was now in possession of a large lavender coloured egg, decorated with many small white chibi wings. It resembled a giant Easter egg. The younger girl held a digivice, much like her own except it was white with lavender accents and buttons.

“Are this the guy’s digimon partner?” questioned Emma.
“Exactly, which is why you must take the utmost care.” He motioned for them to follow him once again. Emma noticed Piyomon was straggling behind.

“C’mon Piyomon!”

Piyomon took a last look before following her partner. She did not like this edgy feeling that had suddenly come over her.

“I’ve analyzed the egg while it has been incubating. It’s DDNA is not recognizable with any extant species of digimon...”

“So it’s a new species of digimon, then.” Emma finished. Grey Lord was surprised by the human’s quick uptake.

“Precisely. We believe it may have been another lab accident, though no one is really sure how it came to be. However, while it was incubating the digivice that Kayla is holding formed along side it. Obviously we deduced that this digitama was to play an important role and thus the reason for the armed guard.”

The group came to a halt next to Grey Lord in another one of the many laboratories. This time the room contained several raised platforms with glass tubes suspended above them, and some very complicated, and probably very expensive machinery and computer consoles.

“The DTUs...but are these even ready yet?” Piyomon piped up startling the others.

Kayla looked quizzical at the crimson bird. “What’s a DTU?”

“The Data Transport Units,” she answered. “I thought they were still in the experimental stages.”

“They were, until very recently. We haven’t tested all the bugs yet obviously, but for now it is the only way for the humans, and you, to get back to the human world. We didn’t expect the humans to arrive until later, but this is really the only choice.”

“But -”

“But nothing, Piyomon.” Grey Lord’s voice raised just the slightest bit. “The other way is too dangerous at present. Especially with the digitama.” Piyomon said nothing and took to gazing at the floor. “Right then, Andromon, would you be so kind to initiate the starting sequence?”

The Andromon, who had been sitting idly at the main computer console, did as he was directed. A low humming sounded as the machinery came to life and lights illuminated from the raised platforms. “Please step on a platform,” instructed Andromon. Each of them took a platform of their own and waited for further instruction. Andromon punched in some keys and the glass tubes above them began to lower. Something occurred to Kayla however.

“Hey, what do we do after we find the guy?”
“You’ll come back here of course,” replied Grey Lord.

“Yeah, but how?” her voice was slightly muffled by the glass tube now.

“Just find a computer.”

“That’s not very help-” the other girl had started to say, but just then the scene in front of their eyes pixilated and the ground was taken out from under them as they were suddenly hurled through binary space.

No one noticed the stowaway.

***

The two girls and their digimon friends were heaved from Emma’s computer and landed rather unceremoniously on the couch. Emma herself bounced off the couch and landed on the floor where she was greeted by something very warm and very wet.

“Hey, Mabel.” she groaned. “...Ow.”

“Can we not do that again?” asked Kayla.

“Sounds fine by me,” agreed Piyomon.

Emma groaned and pushed herself off the ground. “Hi, Mabel. I know.” She scratched the dog behind the ears. “Now go get in your bed.” The dog was too excited to listen so she continued to drool and swing her tail around like a deadly weapon instead. “Mabel, I said go get in your bed.” The mutt continued to ignore her. Sighing, the girl got up and put some food in the dog’s dish seeing as that was the only way to get her to listen.

“What day is it?” Kayla asked as she rubbed her head.

“I dunno, check my computer.”

Kayla picked up the laptop which had been laying on the ground due to their haphazard re-entry and checked the date. “It...says it’s the same day we left.”

“That’s...odd.” Silence followed.

“So what do we do now?” Gazimon said finally. Emma looked at the digitama sitting peacefully on the couch as she thought.

“I guess - I guess we start looking for this guy.”

“But where do we start is the question.” said Piyomon. “Grey Lord said you knew this human, and also that he may have relocated. That basically leaves it up to you to find him.”
“Unfortunately...” she sighed. She scratched her arms in thought. “Let’s go walk around, maybe that’ll help me remember something. I think we can leave the egg here for now. It should be safe.”

The others followed the older girl out the front door, but as Piyomon passed the staircase the uneasy feeling she had earlier came back to her. Gazimon seemed to notice it too this time and the two digimon exchanged glances, but they followed after the humans anyway.

The sun was fairly intense and there were almost no clouds in the sky as they walked down Emma’s street. The older girl was deep in thought, Kayla was fiddling with her digivice, and the two digimon were feeling rather nervous about walking around the human world in broad daylight. They soon approached a playground nestled at the end of the street. It was one that Emma and her friends would play at all the time. ‘But now they’ve moved out of the neighborhood...’ Emma thought.

She stopped dead in her tracks. The other three collided into her. ‘Someone I know...but has recently located...FRAZER! He’s the most recent one to leave!’

“That’s it!” she screamed and immediately turned on her heal and went running back towards home, and no sooner than she did she found herself slamming into a woman who happened to be walking across the street just behind them. “Oof...Oh my God, I’m so sorry!” She apologized.

“Woah, there. Wait, Emma?”

Finally being able to see straight she looked up at the woman she ran into. “Oh, hi Beth!” It was her neighbor. But not only that - “Hey, do you happen to have Frazer’s phone number?” - Beth’s family was also good friends with Frazer’s family.

“What - oh yeah, I have it. Did you need it?”

“Yes please!” Emma tried not to yell, but she was too excited to keep still. She bounced on the balls of her feet while she waited for Beth to write down the number on a scrap piece of paper.

“Here you go,” said Beth as she handed the piece of paper to Emma. “So how are you doing? I haven’t seen you in a while. And what are those?” she motioned at the digimon.

“I’m good!” Emma shouted with a bit more enthusiasm than was needed. “Oh, and this is my best friend, Kayla.” The other girl waved. “And...” she paused as she tried to think of a plausible explanation for the digimon. “Er..and these...are our neeeew,” she drew out the word to stall for an idea, “pets! Yeah, our new pets.” Piyomon looked around wildly after finding herself under the spotlight before finally flapping her wings and squawking like a dying parrot. Gazimon followed her lead and barked - the first animal noise he could think of.

“Oh!” Beth exclaimed, completely oblivious of the digimons’ failed attempts to act like animals, “...what are they exactly. I mean, what species or breed are they?” Emma called for the gears in her head to work double time.

“Uh...she’s a...a breed of Quail...found in um, South America.” She finally managed.

“Oh really? That’s pretty cool. How did you get her.” Emma mentally screamed at her to stop asking questions she couldn’t answer. Piyomon pecked at the ground all the while.

“From a friend of the family. He breeds them.” She lied.

KRABOOM!

As relieved as she was that the uncomfortable conversation had been interrupted, part of Emma’s brain was careful enough to notice the rapidly sinking feeling in her stomach.

“That sounded like...it came from the direction of my house.” She said with a defeated sigh.

The two digimon exchanged glances. It wasn’t until Kayla tugged at her arm that Emma realized she was still standing there in a shocked silence. “Right!” She jumped. “Gotta go!” The four of them took off running.

“Should I call 911?” Shouted a worried Beth after them. The oldest girl waved her arm in the air and yelled back a ‘yeah’ shortly after thinking it probably wasn’t the best idea to get the authorities involved at the moment. Oh well, no time to worry about that when there were bigger things on their plate. As they drew closer to the house they noticed a large cloud of dust issuing from the side of it.

“That’s not good.” Kayla stated.

“Thanks for the observation, Captain Obvious.” Gazimon replied. Kayla punched him.

“Really not good.” Emma said half to herself. She was starting to feel a bit weak now. The four of them hurried and burst through the front door and coughed from all the incinerated sheetrock that filled the air. The dog was backed into a corner with her hackles up, barking as if her life depended on it. When the dust had cleared a bit and they had stopped coughing long enough to open their eyes they finally saw the gaping hole where the living room wall used to be.

Piyomon and Gazimon exchanged glances again. They knew something was fishy as soon as they arrived. They began searching the downstairs, unnoticed by the girls. Emma fell to her knees.

“What am I gonna do?” She said quietly to herself. “What am I going to tell my parents?” Kayla put her hand on her friend’s shoulder not knowing what else to do. Suddenly the digimon perked up and stared in the direction of the gaping hole. With a deadly silence Giromon came to a halt in the center of it.

“So it was you!” Piyomon shouted.

The girls quickly caught on. “It was him? He blew the hole in my house?!” The older girl’s voice went up an octave. “My parents are gonna kill me!”
“Well you can always tell them that Giromon did it,” Kayla said helpfully.

“Yeah, ‘Hey mom and dad! So me and Kayla went to the Digital World and when we got back this Giromon followed us and blew a whole in the friggin’ livingroom wall!’ Yeah, they’re totally going to believe that, Kayla!” She shrieked.

“Where’s the egg?!” Piyomon demanded. ‘This is no time for bickering.’ She thought.

Everyone paused then turned slowly in terror towards the couch which now lay in shambles. The couch where they had placed the egg for safe keeping.

“Holy crap, the egg!”

“It’s there!” Kayla pointed at a cotton covered lump on the floor. Unfortunately Giromon followed her gaze and made a move for the egg.

“I’ve got it!” cried Gazimon.

“Run, we’ll follow.” Piyomon told the girls before creating a distraction for Gazimon. The green spiral blast of light obviously wasn’t enough to hurt him, but given his temperament it was enough to make him change his priorities. During this Gazimon was able to perform a well executed somersault to the egg and snatch it away. Meanwhile the girls ran for their lives.

“Are they goin’ to be okay?” Kayla wondered.

“They should be fine.” Emma answered, but doubted herself. Once they were halfway down the street they turned to look behind them. They could make out the forms of Piyomon and Gazimon just leaving the house, the latter gambling awkwardly as he tried to run on all fours while carrying the digitama.

“Throw us the egg, we can run faster with it!” Shouted the eldest girl. Gazimon stopped and hurled the egg with surprising force. Kayla backed up and jumped for the egg, catching it in both arms and clutching it against her chest. “Nice catch. Let’s go!” They continued running and reached the end of the street.

“Where to now?” Kayla asked. This was her friend’s town and she didn’t know her way around.

“Straight ahead!” She pointed. They bolted across the street and through the parking lot next to the recreation center and down a hill on the other side. A busy road lay on the other side but they ran through it, disregarding the cars that slammed on their brakes and honked angrily. “There’s a park just down this gravel road. There’s plenty of trees to hide us.”

They ran haphazardly down the path, Emma leading the way. The park was in a forested area right by the waterfront and it was usually empty of people. They ran across the grass and finally reached a small cliff that went down to the beach. Without a second thought Emma slid down it and landed with a thud. Kayla stopped at the edge.

“How am I supposed to get down with this?” She asked holding up the egg.

“Toss it down!”

Kayla tossed her the egg then followed her lead down the cliff. “Where are we?”

“Just the waterfront. I come down here and explore all the time. There’s a nice little hidden alcove over that way.” She pointed to her left. “We should be safe there.”

Just then they heard a noise on the cliff above them and some muffled voices and tensed up.

“Where’d they go?”

“I don’t know, I was sure they came down this way.”

“It’s just Gazimon and Piyomon.” Kayla said, relieved.

“We’re down here!” Emma shouted. Two heads peaked over the edge of the cliff and when they realized it was the humans they jumped down to join them.

“Nice hidin’ spot, hey?” said Gazimon.

“What happened?” Emma asked Piyomon.

“We distracted him and ran upstairs, then we jumped out one of the windows. He’s pretty slow movement wise. He likes to sneak up on his prey dramatically. He’ll find us eventually but at least it will take him a while.”

“You sure know a lot about him.” said Gazimon.

“He roams around Grey Lord’s mansion. He never does anything there except mess with experiment data when no one is looking. It’s one of the reasons Grey Lord has so much security around the place. How is the egg?”

Emma held the egg out for Piyomon to examine. She ran her wings over it and eyed it closely. “Hmm, it looks fine. We are very lucky it wasn’t damaged. A blast like that should have cracked it at the very least. I wonder what kind of digimon it holds that would be so resilient to an attack like that.”

“So does the kind of digimon that’s in the egg decide how much...er...what’s the word I’m looking for...oh, integrity! Does it decide how much integrity the egg has?” inquired Emma. Piyomon nodded.

“Exactly. For instance, a fire type Digimon would be more resilient in a fire. Whereas an ice type would be very weak. However a strong enough blaze would destroy them both.”

“Oh, I see.”
“So what do we do now?” asked Kayla.

“Well...we call Frazer now I guess.”

“Wait, we have the egg but what about the digivice?” They all looked at each other worriedly.

“Oh wait...”Kayla dug in her pocket. “It’s right here, haha.” Piyomon let out a sigh of relief.

“Crap, I don’t have my cell phone.” said Emma

“We can’t go back to the house now, we might run into Giromon again.” stated Gazimon.

“True.” Added the bird digimon.

“Well, there should be a payphone near by. We’ll have to use that.”

The eldest girl led the way again as they walked across a boardwalk that led to another little waterfront park and a large public parking lot. On the other side of the parking lot, sitting just outside a pawn shop, was a payphone.

Emma picked up the receiver. “I hate payphones. They never work for me.” She was about to dial the number then paused. “Anyone have a quarter for the phone?”

Kayla dug in her pocket and found a couple of quarters. She handed one to Emma. Emma put in the quarter and dialed the number. It beeped at her and gave her a ‘The number you have dialed is incomplete’ message. She slammed the phone down and growled. “See what I mean? Piece of crap.”

“Here, I’ll do it.” Said Kayla. She dialed the number and when the phone began to rang she thrust the phone into Emma’s hands. Emma put the phone to her ear just as someone answered.

“Hello? Hi. Is Frazer there? Um, this is Emma...Yeah, that Emma...I’m good, how are you?...Okay.” There was a pause. The others listened intently. “Frazer? It’s Emma. I’m good, hey, um, would it be possible for you to come over?...It’s REALLY important, like life or death...”



Author’s Note: Sorry for taking so incredibly long to get this chapter done. I kind of put the fanfic on hiatus for a while until a friend reminded me about it. I ended the chapter a bit differently than I intended but it was starting to get a bit long. Sorry if this one wasn’t all that exciting, bit of a filler. It’ll get better from here on out. I can almost guarantee that the story will be at least 30 chapters long. I write. A lot. It’s always the beginning I have trouble with, as it’s always the middle of the story I have in my head when I start to write. It’s good practice though.

I realized as I was writing the last bit of this chapter that I had started writing it when my dog was still alive. We had to put her down a few months ago. She was 11 ½ years old.
Anyway, please read and review, thanks.