Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Tale of the Original DigiDestined ❯ The Legend ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

As the group follows Leomon, Samantha keeps a close eye on Daniel.

"Daniel, I want you to stay close to me," she tells her little brother.

"Okay sis," Daniel says sullenly. He wanted to explore! Why was his sister so strict?!

"Daniel, I know you don't like this, but its for your own good," Samantha says, "we're in a strange place filled with strange creatures."

"You need not worry about being attacked while I am with you," Leomon says gently, "every Digimon on File Island would think twice before attacking me."

"You mean Digimon are dangerous?" Jesse asks.

"Yes, all Digimon are dangerous, but many are peaceful," Leomon explains, "generally, I am peaceful, but I can more than take care of myself if I am attacked."

"You're that strong?" Brian asks.

"Yes, but I do prefer to not fight," Leomon says, "but there are times when you have to fight."

'Why would he say something like that to us?' Samantha asks herself, 'he must have an ulterior motive here.'

"We have arrived," Leomon says, indicating a cave with an odd glow emanating from it.

The five humans and their Digimon companions follow Leomon into the cave. They are greeted by a horse like creature with the upper torso of a man starting where the horse's neck should be wearing a helmet but it obviously only had one eye.

"Greetings, Digidestined," the creature says, "I am Centarumon."

"Centarumon is an Animal Digimon who protects the labyrinth beneath File Island," Leomon says, "his Solar Ray attack brightens up the dark corridors or the labyrinth and demolishes those in his path."

"DigiDestined?" Daniel asks curiously.

"Yes," Centarumon says with a nod of his helmeted head, "are you not the DigiDestined?"

The five humans were puzzled.

"What are the DigiDestined?" Jesse demands.

"You really don't know?" Centarumon asks. He eyes the five curious humans and their partner Digimon.

"Well, you are from the other world so I guess you wouldn't know," Centarumon says with a grave nod of his head.

"They must be the DigiDestined," Leomon says, "they bear the Digivices."

"Then they must be the DigiDestined," Centarumon says, "show me the Digivces."

"What are the Digivices?" James asks.

"The Digivices are those little machines attacked to your waists," Centarumon says.

"These?" Brian asks, grabbing the little machine and holding it up to Centarumon for his inspection.

"Yes, this is definitely a Digivice," Centarumon says after looking at the machine, "look at the wall behind me."

Humans and Digimon alike look at the wall to see a drawing of the machines that clung to each human's waist with several inscriptions below it.

"What does that say?" James asks, his curiosity sparked. "It says 'And after the Beast of Darkness emerges from behind the Wall of Fire, the DigiDestined will arrive to drive back the Beast of Darkness and save the Digital World.'," Centarumon says.

"You mean we have to fight?" Daniel asks. He didn't like the idea of fighting. His sister got in a lot of fights so their parents had sent them to America to simmer down.

"I'm afraid so," Leomon says. "But Leomon's strong," James cries out, "why can't he fight this "Beast of Darkness"?"

"I already have," Leomon says, "I barely escaped with my life."

"So if Leomon couldn't defeat this Beast of Darkness, what makes you think we will be able to beat it?" Jesse demands.

"Because the DigiDestined are supposed to have the power to enable Digimon to Digivolve to help them fight," Centarumon answers.

"Digivolve?" Brian asks, "whats that?"

"Digivolving is how Digimon evolve to higher levels and more powerful forms to better defend ourselves," Leomon explains, "but without help, it happens randomly and many Digimon are lost trying to digivolve."

"There are different levels?" Jesse asks.

"Yes," Centarumon says with a nod, "there is the Digiegg, which is the basic stage for all Digimon. All Digimon come from Digieggg's that are found in the Primary Village. Then, after the Digiegg hatches, a Digimon is born in its Baby stage. Elecmon takes care of the Baby Digimon by feeding them until they Digivolve to the next level and go off on their own. The next level is the In Training form. That is the level that your Digimon friends are in."

At this, each human looks at the Digimon that had said they had been waiting for them.

"The next level is the Rookie level," Centarumon says, "most Digimon are capable of digivolving to this level without dying. After this level, it gets tricky. The next level is the Champion level. A single Rookie level Digimon can digivolve into many different Champion forms. But rarely do Digimon de-digivolve back a level. The next stage is the Ultimate level. An Ultimate level Digimon is fully digivolved and has immense power. Not many Digimon are capable of digivolving to this mighty stage. And then there is the Mega level. It is extremely rare for a Digimon to digivolve to this level. Many Ultimate level evil Digimon have died trying to obtain the power promised to those able to reach this level. Fortunately, no evil Digimon to date has been able to reach this level. In fact, only 4 known Digimon have been able to each this level. I only know of them. I do not know their identities."

"Is it possible to skip a level?" Brian asks.

"Theoretically, yes," Leomon says, "but it requires an immense amount of power and no Digimon that has ever lived could withstand the amount of power in themselves to enable them to perform such a feat. But with the power of your Digivices, you DigiDestined might be able to make your Digimon partner Digimon not only up to the Mega level, but to also skip levels."

"These little things have that much power?" Brian asks, holding his Digivice in the palm of his hand.

"They do," Leomon says.

"Then why don't you use them?" Daniel asks, "that way you won't have to ask us to fight."

"I wish we could," Centarumon says, "but unfortunately only humans can activate their power. Or so it has been told. And that is fortunate. Imagine if an evil Digimon got ahold of a Digivice and used it to digivolve to the Mega level. Tyhere would be no stopping it."

"Maybe so," Brian says, "but wouldn't a good Digimon be able to use the power to digivolve to the Mega level as well and defeat the evil Digimon?" "

Its not that simple," Centarumon says, "a Digimon's affiliation, meaning good, evil, or neither, can vary from level to level and form to form. There are evil Leomon out there, as well as evil Centarumon. In Training and Baby Digimon are the only Digimon that have no good in their hearts. But once a Digimon digivolves to Rookie, things may change for better or for worse."

"Who is this Beast of Darkness?" Jesse asks.

"We believe it to be an evil Digimon of enormous power," Leomon says, "but I couldn't get close enough to it to tell. Its power is incredible. And I could feel an almost overwhelming sense of evil and hatred emanating from the Beast. I do hope you DigiDestined can defeat this menace to our beautiful Digital World."

"But first you must locate your tags and Crests," Centarumon says.

"What are those?" Daniel asks.

"The Crests and the tags contain great power that only humans can control," Centarumon explains, "the Crests are scattered all over the Digital World."

"Then how do we find them?" Jesse demands.

"With the tags," Centarumon says, "but they are being guarded by Vilemon. And there is a force field around Vilemon's lair that keeps Leomon and I away from it. We cannot pass through." "

So your saying we have to go and defeat this Vilemon?" Brian asks.

"Yes," Leomon says, "but unfortunately, now I cannot even leave this cave to lead you to where Vilemon is."

"Why?" Daniel asks, eyes wide with amazement.

"Because he has now sealed off this cave and only Digimon that are at the Rookie level or below can exit," Leomon says, "I am effectively trapped. I would be destroyed if I tried to break through it."

"I wanna go home," Daniel begins to wail.

"I don't think you can until you fulfill the task you were brought to the Digital World to perform," Centarumon says.

"Who brought us here?" Jesse demands, "these kids are my responsibility. I'll just ask him to send them home and I'll go ahead and take care of this Beast of Darkness myself."

"I don't think any of you can go home until the Beast of Darkness is defeated," Centarumon says, his head bowed in shame, "but Leomon and I will assist you after Vilemon is defeated."

"We cannot go through this barrier while Vilemon is alive, but if he is destroyed it may be weakened enough for Centarumon and I to break through if we combined our attacks," Leomon says.

"Well, we can go through it," Brian says, "so we'll go and defeat Vilemon, get the tags, find the Crests, and then defeat the Beast of Darkness."