Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Beast Within ❯ The new girl ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

For Tai and Sora new beginnings had occurred for both of them as their relationship had blossomed. They were both very much in love and were often found sharing special moments, but the most memorable had to have been their first date.

*******Flashback*******

Tai was waiting in his room. Agumon was by his side, as usual. Tai was really nervous, and anyone could tell. The boy was sitting in his room, and was anxiously awaiting his first date with Sora. He was wearing his best clothes, a pair of long light green pants, a light maroon shirt with a long green over shirt.

His crest was left hanging out of his shirt and complemented the entourage well. He was well deodorised and had been ready for ages, but he didn't fell like it.

"What are you so nervous about Tai, you've been out with her so many times?" his digimon friend asked, confounded as to why his partner was so nervous.

"This is different, now we're going out," Tai answered.

"I don't get it, there's no difference, besides you'll be fine," Agumon continued, still clueless to the problem.

"You will someday, and thanks for your optimism," Tai replied, he looked down to his watch, it was almost time for him to leave. He stood up and began walking to the door, "Wish me luck," he said as he opened it.

"You don't need it," Agumon said, getting the last word in as usual. Tai walked into the kitchen and found his mother starting the dinner. He wasn't even going to bother asking what it was, for once he didn't need to worry.

"I'm going now mom," he said to the busy woman.

"Have fun, I'll see you tomorrow," she replied.

"Thanks," he said smiling, the he headed for the door. He opened it and walked out.

The elevator stopped at the ground floor, and Tai walked into the lobby of his building. /What am I thinking, take the car, this is a date.\ Tai was being harsh on himself. He re entered the elevator and hit the garage floor button. The elevator jerked into motion and moved briefly before stopping in the same fashion it had started, Tai stepped out. He walked towards his car and hit the remote, the car unlocked. Tai opened the door and got in.

It didn't take long to drive to Sora's, which is why he usually walked. They enjoyed their walks together, but for some reason he thought it would be better to pick her up in his car. In his wallet he had much more money than he needed, but it was a loan from his father, but he only wanted half back, the rest was a gift. Tai pulled the car over to the curb and got out. He walked into Sora's building and entered the elevator right away. He pushed the ninth floor button and the doors closed. All the way up to Sora's floor Tai's heart was pounding, he could feel every beat convulsing in his chest. The elevator finally stopped and he got out. He walked to Sora's door and knocked. Almost immediately the door was answered and Tai found Sora standing before him. She was wearing a long black skirt with an oriental design around the bottom, a deep purple halter top, and her hair was hanging down. She was wearing the hair pin Tai gave her all those years ago.

"it looks good on you," Tai said, it was the first thing that came to his mind.

"What… oh… yeah, I like it," Sora replied.

"You ready to go?" Tai asked.

"Yup."

"Great," Tai said, he took her hand and they went into the elevator. There was silence as the small chamber moved down it's shaft. Sora's was deep in thought, /I can't believe he's holding my hand, it's so nice, I could hold it forever.\ the elevated stopped and the duo got out and Tai led her to the car.

"Oh, you brought the car," Sora said.

"Yeah, I thought it would be appropriate," Tai replied.

"It's nice."

Tai opened the passenger door and let Sora get in, he closed it for her. He walked round and got in the drivers side. He started the engine and pulled off.

The restaurant was on the far side of town, this was also the richer side of town. The roads were relatively clear so it took them about fifteen minutes to get there. It was not the most expensive restaurant in town, but it also was by far not the cheapest. Tai stopped the car round the front of the building and got out, he walked around and opened the car door for Sora. She got out and he closed the door, then he walked over to the valet and handed him the keys, "Thank you," he said as he did. He led Sora up to the door then opened it for her, she walked in and he followed, the door shut behind them by itself.

Tai took Sora's hand once more and he headed over to the man at the counter. The restaurant was very large, and it was really dressed up. The two were not underdressed, but it would not have hurt to have dressed smarted.

"I have a reservation for two," Tai said to the man waiting.

"Who would that be under?" he asked.

"Kamiya."

"Ah yes, very good sir, follow me." He led them to a table near a window in the back of the restaurant. The view was spectacular and over looked a large garden filled with trees and bushes, they surrounded a large pond filled with a variety of fish. Sora and Tai took their seats.

"This is really nice," Sora commented.

"Yeah, the foods good too," Tai added.

"Any drinks?" the waiter offered.

"Not yet, we'll get them a little later," Tai said.

"Very good sir," the waiter said, then he walked back to his counter.

"So what are you gonna have?" Sora asked.

"I dunno," Tai replied. They opened up their menus and browsed through the list of food on offer. They decided to share garlic bread started, Tai was having the salmon platter and Sora went for a Greek salad, she would no doubt borrow some of Tai's large salmon meal. Their actual waiter soon came back and they placed their orders.

"Anything to drink?" the waiter asked.

"Uh, maybe we shouldn't have alcohol all night because you're driving," Sora said looking over at Tai.

"Yeah good point, I guess it'll be good old fashioned Coke for me then."

"I'll have a mineral water," Sora added. The waiter repeated the order, then left.

He returned a few minutes later with the drinks, Tai and Sora hadn't said very much.

"So, are you ready for you're final term at school?" Tai asked, desperate for something to say.

"Yeah, I guess, how about you?"

"More or less, I can't wait till it's over though."

"Yeah. How's T.K. settling in?"

"He's alright, or he seems to be."

"How are you coping, sharing a room and all?"

"That's good, it's nice to have him around to talk to. He's kinda like a brother."

"I bet he just loves Kari always being around?"

"Yeah, she's not complaining either." The waiter then returned with their meals. As expected they were huge, Tai was given two lengthy pieces of fish, and Sora had a large plate of salad. They dug into their food, it was delicious. Tai wasn't really a fan of fish, but he thought he'd give it a try and he'd made the right decision. The salmon was not overwhelmingly fishy, but it still tasted like fish. Sora's salad hit the spot and was crisp and fresh. Both of them really enjoyed the food, so much so they hardly spoke while they were eating. Sora finished her salad first as predicted.

"Can I try some of that salmon?" she asked.

"Sure," Tai said passing a piece over and onto her plate. She took a bite and immediately found what Tai had, this fish was like no other. Tai soon finished his food, they placed their knives and forks neatly together and then Tai put Sora's plate on top of his own. The waiter then came over and removed the plates.

"I hope everything was to your liking," he said as he picked up the plates.

"Yes, thankyou," Sora replied.

"Any deserts?"

"How 'bout it?" Tai asked.

"Why not," she replied.

"We'll share a strawberry pavlova," Tai replied.

"Do you want another drink?" the waiter asked.

"How about a glass of wine?" Tai asked.

"Alright, white wine though," Sora replied.

"Two glasses of white wine, the house special."

"Certainly, won't be a moment," the waiter said, then he left.

"What's the time," Sora asked. Tai glanced down to his watch, "Ten," he replied. Tai moved round closer to Sora and put his hand on her knee, she smiled. Tai looked deep into her eyes. He was lost in their beauty, he could stare into their gaze for hours, but he wouldn't. Sora was looking back, he could sense she was content. "This is nice, thankyou for bringing me," Sora said. Tai was brought back to reality, "You make it sound like it's almost over."

"So it isn't?"

"Maybe, I guess you'll have to wait and see."

"What do you have planned." At that the waiter came over and placed the plate of Pavlova in front of them. He put down two large glasses and opened the wine bottle. He poured the wine into the glasses, "Thanks," Tai said as he did. The waiter walked off to serve another table. Tai picked up his glass and Sora hers, "To us," he said.

""To us," she replied. They toasted and took a sip of the wine. It was not a strong flavour, both Tai and Sora rarely drunk, only on special occasions. Tai picked up the spoon and took some of the pavlova, then he moved it towards Sora's mouth, "Open wide," he said as he did.

"Tai, I can feed myself," she protested.

"I know, but ti's more fun this way," Tai replied.

"Oh alright," she said, then she opened her mouth and Tai put the spoon in. like the fish and salad, the pavlova was just right, not too sweet, but sweet enough. Tai took some for himself, then he handed Sora the spoon. In only a few moments the pavlova was finished. "How about a walk?" Tai asked.

"Sure, I'd like that," Sora answered. Tai called the waiter and asked for the check. He brought it back to them and Tai read it through, it was bad, but better than he had anticipated. He got out his wallet and handed the waiter the money, and a healthy tip.

"Thank you sir, enjoy the rest of your evening," he said as he left. Tai and Sora stood up, Tai put the chairs under the table and took Sora's hand and walked toward the door. He opened it and they entered the garden.

The garden was quiet as it was secluded from the road. It was a was not very cold and the sky was clear so the moon was in full view. The stars shone brightly and the garden was well lit. Tai and Sora slowly strolled around the premises, hand in hand. Sora was al little cold, she quivered.

"Here, you must be cold, take this, I know it's not much but it's better than nothing." Tai said taking off his over shirt.

"Thanks," she replied.

"It's a nice night," Tai said.

"Yeah, it's not raining for a change." They walked over to the lake and sat on a bench that was near the waters edge. Tai looked up at the stars, "They're quite something," he said.

"Yeah." Tai moved closer to Sora and put his arm around her. She put her head on his shoulder and they sat watched the fish swimming in the pond, Tai eventually glanced down to his watch, it was now ten thirty.

"We'd better go," he said.

"Why? Does this have anything to do with what you said earlier?"

"it might." They stood up and returned to the valet's station. He went and retrieved Tai's car, Tai tipped him and then they got in. Tai began to drive to their next destination.

"Where are we going?" Sora asked.

"Well, I thought that just dinner was nice, but maybe we could do something else. Then I though about going to a nightclub, but with all that noise it would hardly be romantic. Then I remembered something from a long time ago." Tai stopped the car in a parking lot next to an ordinary looking building.

"so what did you remember?"

"This place, come on I'll show you." They got out of the car and Tai locked it. He led Sora inside the building. Inside there was a reception area, an elderly woman sat behind the desk.

"Hello master Kamiya," she said.

"Hi Gladys, I made a reservation for two," he replied.

"You know you didn't need to, we would have made room for you. Is that the other person in the reservation?"

"Yup, this is my girlfriend Sora." Sora was taken back by Tai's comment /Did he just say girlfriend\ she thought, /I'd better say something, "Hi," she uttered.

"Hello, I'm an old friend of the Kamiya's, and I own this place.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, but what is this place?" she asked.

"Why Tai, haven't you even told her about this place?"

"No, I must have forgotten."

"Taichi Kamiya, don't try and tell me you forgot, because it won't work. You were embarrassed weren't you?"

"Kinda."

"Well, why don't you show the girl."

"Okay, thanks Gladys," Tai said. He led Sora to the end of a short hallway then he opened the door. Inside was a bunch of people, a variety of ages, who were dancing ballroom style on the large wooden dance floor. Around the side there were a number of chairs and at the back there was a refreshment area.

"Tai, what are we doing here?" Sora asked.

"Well, I thought we could still go dancing, even if we didn't go to a nightclub."

"But I don't know how."

"That's why I'm going to teach you."

"YOU know how to dance!"

"Sure."

"When did you learn, when did you have the time with all that soccer."

"Well, when was about twelve my parents thought it would be a good idea for me to learn, which meant I had no choice. So every second Friday night for four years they brought me here and I learnt. I liked it so it wasn't a problem. Kari also knows how, but she only started a year ago."

"I had no clue."

"Yeah, I was a little embarrassed so I didn't tell you guys. But now we're here, so let's get started."

"But…"

"No buts about it, besides, it's really fun." Tai grabbed Sora's arm and pulled her onto ht dance floor. He taught her slowly and in an hour she had picked up quite a bit. They were both enjoying it.

"Do you mind if I show off a little?" Tai asked.

"No, but who are you gonna dance with."

"You, just follow my lead." An upbeat song started playing and Tai began a series of advanced moves, Sora was doing well to keep up. The song eventually stopped and Tai with it. A large circle had formed around them and Tai and Sora had only just taken notice of it. The audience applauded and Sora blushed, Tai thanked them and they took a seat on the chairs provided. /Just when I think I have him all figured out, he does something like this, I guess I'll never figure him out.\

"You're really good at this, are you sure you've never done it before?"

"Thanks," Sora said blushing again. A slow song came on and Tai stood up, "May I have this dance," he said softly.

"Of course," Sora replied. Tai took her hand and they entered the dance floor. Tai wrapped his arms around her and they danced close. They were engulfed in each other, swaying in time with the music. They danced till the song played out, Tai looked into Sora's once more, he moved in close and kissed her. They were locked in with each other, lost in one another's very being. Tai was the one to break it off because he could sense they were, again, being watched. He looked at the time, it was twelve.

"Do you have a curfew?" Tai asked.

"Yeah, I'm supposed to be back by twelve thirty."

"I'd better take you home then.

"Alright."

They passed through the entrance, "Thankyou, I enjoyed myself," Sora said to Gladys.

"That's alright, hope to see you here again."

"You will, you can count on it," Tai replied, they exited the building and got in the car. Tai drove to Sora's apartment building and took her up to her apartment.

"I guess this is goodnight," Tai said.

"Yeah, I had fun, thankyou," she replied smiling.

"Great, I'll take you back there."

"Okay. Um, goodnight."

"Night." Tai kissed her again, then she entered her apartment. He returned to his car and drove home. Once he'd arrived he found that no one was awake. He quietly entered his room and got changed. He slinked into his bed and went to sleep.

*******End Flashback*******

Not long after that school started for the younger digidestined. It was the last term for them and the workload was not heavy, except for the testing of all subjects. The first day wasn't the most interesting however, this happened later on in the term closer to it's end, and Davis would never forget it…

It was raining, as was now the norm in Odaiba. Davis was lying in his bed thinking to himself. He thought the weather befitted the day, as he had to go to school, at least it was Thursday and school ended the following Tuesday. He was lying in as he usually did, pushing the limit of when he had to get up. Veemon was beside him, but he was still asleep. Davis's room was similar to Tai's, but messier. His room was smaller than Tai's, but still bugger than his sisters. Around it he had many objects of different origins, but they all had one thing in common, they all related to soccer. The young teenage boy well qualified as obsessed, everything he had was related to it in some way or another. The trophies he'd won, the Premier League planner, the posters, even his computer's theme was dedicated to the sport. Not forgetting the six soccer balls he had in his cupboard.

The clock's alarm sounded and this was his true indication that he absolutely had to get up or he'd be late for school. The alarm was loud enough to wake his slumbering digimon, a feat in itself. Sometimes the boy wondered how it was possible he could sleep through the things he did. One time in particular the blue digimon had actually managed to sleep through Jun barging into his room, sending the door plummeting into the wall, yelling at him full volume for hiding her magazines, then crashing through his drawers trying to find them. He tried to explain and eventually got it through to her that she had taken them to her room the previous day and were in her cupboard. She knew this to be true, but then told him he was lying and left, slamming the door upon her exit.

Davis rolled over and fell out of bed. He slammed down on the floor, then stood up. The blood rushed down from his head leaving him feeling dizzy, so he sat down on his bed. Veemon had got up and was sitting next to him.

"Hey," Davis mumbled unenthusiastically.

"Hey," Veemon replied in much the same fashion.

"Gotta go to school," Davis continued.

"Mmm, have fun," Veemon said.

"You should be nicer to me, I might decide to let Jun on you," Davis threatened.

"I'm sorry, anything but that," Veemon replied.

"Don't worry, I wouldn't do that, it would be too cruel."

"That's good to know." A knock came from the door, and Davis's mother's voice followed, "Honey, are you up yet?"

"Yeah," he replied. Davis then stood up and went over to his cupboard.

He began searching through the myriad of clothes therein. He took out his favourite brown shorts and his blue shirt. He put his matching, long sleeve over shirt on top of that. He walked back over to his bed and sat down again. From the top of his dark wood bedside table he grabbed his digivice and D-terminal. He put them both in his pockets and then grabbed his goggles.

He put them on his head, they rested neatly on his hair. He loved those goggles, they were the favourite thing he owned. Tai had given them to him on his first journey to the digital world and they made him feel important, like the leader of something, especially because of what Tai had said when he gave them to him. Davis could remember the exact worlds, "Here, take mine, the leader of the digidestined would be right without them." Davis knew very well that Tai would always be the leader of the digidestined, but he felt almost like second in command, or like the leader of his regiment of digidestined. They really made him feel grown up, and he would always wear them, no matter what, even in the shower. Sleeping was the only time they could be found off of his head. He had actually tied sleeping with them on the night he had received them, but he woke up and found his head had fallen asleep (A\N Like your legs do when you sit down for too long, if you don't get it pretend it's not there coz it's too hard to explain).

Davis glanced over at his clock, it was eight o clock exactly. This meant he had half an hour to get to school.

"I gotta go, I'll see ya later," he said as he dashed out the door. He went straight into the kitchen and found Jun and his mother talking.

"Morning honey," Mrs Motomiya said as he entered.

"Mmm," was his reply, he meant it well though, and she fully understood the response as it was usual for this time, he wasn't exactly a morning person.

"Late again," Jun said smugly. Davis glared at her then continued on his way to the fridge. He rifled through what was on offer and decided that he would just have cereal. He grabbed the milk, got a bowl and spoon, and decided that corn flakes would do. He guzzled down the cereal before he could really taste it, then he rushed back to his room. He grabbed his backpack from behind the door to his room, said a final goodbye to Veemon, then left closing the door behind him.

He ran out onto the street, then headed right, towards the park. Waiting there as usual were Kari and T.K., they liked to walk to school together. T.K. and Kari were, as usual, holding hands. Davis ran up to them and then stopped, "Hey," he muttered.

"Hey," Kari said cheerfully.

"Mornin'" T.K. greeted.

"How was the move?" Davis asked.

"Hectic, but I'm in," T.K. replied. T.K. was like Davis, not a morning person. Whenever the two got together at this time of day the conversation was short and concise, but they both understood. It confused Kari to no end how the time of day could make two over energetic people like T.K. and Davis so tranquil. She wasn't really about to complain, this was the only time they were like this. They began their walk to school, it wasn't really far, only a couple of blocks. They arrived just on time and went into their roll call classroom.

The teacher was Mr Hamasaki, he was also their maths teacher. The kids stayed in the same room all day, and the teachers moved around. The first lesson that day was Maths, so Mr Hamasaki started the lesson right after roll call. They were doing algebraic factorising and it was going over Davis's head like a jumbo jet. He leant over to Kari, "Do you get this stuff?"

"Yeah, here I'll show you," she said as she drew up a set of simple steps and rules to explain it to him.

"Oh, I get it!" he said quietly, but Mr Hamasaki over heard.

"Oh you do, do you. Well, would you care to show the rest of us how it's done then?" he asked rhetorically.

"Uh, sure?" Davis said nervously as he stood up and walked over to the white board at the front of the room. Mr Hamasaki drew up a rather difficult example but Davis thought back to Kari's steps and worked though it from there.

"And that's my answer," he said unsurely. Mr Hamasaki looked through what was on the board, then peered down to his own workings.

"Correct, well done," he said sternly, trying not to show his surprise. Davis looked over to Kari and smiled, she smiled back.

"You may sit down, but stop your talking," he said. Davis walked back to his seat and sat down. "Thanks," he whispered to Kari as he did. Mr Hamasaki continued the lesson, and it dragged on for the class.

After a long hour and a half, the lesson was almost over. Mr Hamasaki had set a lot of class work but with both T.K. and Kari's help, the trio had gotten through it really quickly, and Davis was even picking some of it up. There was five minutes to the bell, and Mr Hamasaki told the class to start packing up.

"This is great, first we finish all the work, and now we get to go early," Davis said excitedly.

"Yeah, but I wonder why?" Kari said.

"He's probably got some tests to mark or something," T.K. guessed.

"More like he wants first dibbs on the cake in the staffroom," Davis joked, they laughed quietly so he wouldn't here.

"Before you go, I need the host volunteer for our exchange student to stay behind. I see that's you Davis," Mr Hamasaki announced.

"Oh no," Davis said. He had realised what was going on.

"What, why did you do that?" T.K. asked.

"I thought I was signing up for soccer camp," he sighed.

"Don't worry, I'm sure it won't be that bad," Kari said optimistically.

"It'll probably be some French guy I have nothing in common with," Davis continued miserably.

"Davis, come with me, the rest of you can go," Mr Hamasaki announced.

"We'll meet you in the lunch room," T.K. said as he and Kari left. Davis walked up to the front of the room.

"I'll take you to meet her," Mr Hamasaki said.

/Her?\ Davis thought.

They two walked out of the room and down the hall into the administration office. Standing there was a girl wearing a green top, dark jacket and deep blue jeans. She was not that much shorter than Davis, and was about five foot two. The bright halogen lights of the office cascaded off her wavy blonde hair that coved down to her shoulders. Her deep blue eyes were a contrast to her well tanned face and arms. She was holding out her hand, Davis raised his and took it, they shook.

"Hi, My name's Davis," he greeted, almost stumbling over every word.

"I'm Catherine, it's a pleasure to meet you," she greeted politely.

"Why don't you show her around Davis," Mr Hamasaki suggested.

"Right. Follow me," he said. He lead her to the door and opened it for her.

"Ooh, a real gentleman.," Catherine said, Davis began to blush, but he shook it off. Catherine walked through the door and he followed.

"Do you really want the full tour?" he asked.

"Not really, I'm actually kinda hungry," she replied.

"Well, I'll take you to the lunch room, it's down here," Davis said pointing down the hall, then he lead her towards it.

They entered the cafeteria and Davis steered them towards where Kari and T.K. were sitting. It was at the back corner of the large hall. In side there was the option to buy confectionary items from a counter, pick up meals from a self-service area, or just eat a home packed lunch. Davis, T.K. and Kari had opted for the self-service today because it was pasta day and today it was a lasagne that was cooked to perfection. The school chef did not know how to make much, but this was one of the only things he could do, and he did it well. There were many tables in the cafeteria and they filled up fast so it was always a good option to have someone grab a table while someone else got the food. Today this was Davis's job, but first he took Catherine to sit down.

He approached T.K. and Kari nervously and then stopped in front of them.

"Uh guys, this is the exchange student, her name's Catherine," Davis said nervously.

"Hi," she said warmly, then smiled at the two people sitting before her. Davis proceeded to introduce them, "That's T.K., and this is his girlfriend Kari," Davis continued.

"Hey," they both greeted.

"Why don't you sit down, I have to get the food today," Davis said, making way for Catherine to take a seat at the table.

"You don't have to Davis, I'll go," T.K. offered as he stood.

"No, it's my turn, I'll do it," Davis said firmly then walked toward the counter. T.K. sat back down and looked over at the strange new person in front of him. He and Kari smiled at her, and she smiled back, the silence between them was thick enough to cut with a knife. Davis soon came back with four trays, one for each.

"I thought you might want some, I'm sure you'll like it," Davis said as he put the tray in front of her, then he gave T.K. and Kari theirs. He took his seat beside Catherine and they began eating, the silence then returned.

"So, uh, where are you from?" T.K. asked politely.

"America, around the New York City area," she replied.

"Oh, you don't sound American, you have no accent," Kari noted.

"Yeah, my family moves around a lot so I thought going on student exchange meant I could stay in one place for a while."

"That's pretty good idea," T.K. responded.

"So how long are you here?" Kari asked.

"Two years, I took the longest time I could get." They continued eating and the talking stopped again. Kari finished first and glanced down to her watch, it was almost eleven, which meant recess was almost over.

"I'll take the trays back," she said as she stood up. Everyone was finished eating by that time so she grabbed the trays and stacked the plates on top of them.

"I've gotta go talk to Mr Hamasaki about some maths problems he set me so I'll come with you," T.K. said.

"The challenge questions?" Kari asked.

"Yeah, I think they're too hard for me," T.K. continued. He stood up and took the plates from Kari, then they walked off to the service counter. Davis was left with Catherine, she was the first to speak, "So, what's with the goggles?" she asked out of general interest.

"They were a gift from a friend, actually he's Kari's brother. He's kind of a roll model for me and I broke mine so he gave me his," Davis explained.

"Really, I like them, they're different," Catherine replied.

"You'll probably meet him, his name's Tai," Davis continued.

"So what do you do for fun?" she asked.

"The normal things, there's movies, the beach, the malls, but mostly I just hang out with those guys, and some other people we know. You'll probably meet them too."

"That's good, I like meeting new people, and you guys seem really nice."

"Oh yeah, I'm also a big soccer fan, and I'm the captain of my team," Davis boasted.

"Really, I love soccer, do you follow the Premier League?"

"Sure! Who do you support?"

"You first."

"Fine, Newcastle…" Davis said anxiously.

"Oh, well, that's your own choice," she said sensing his anxiety.

"So who do you support," he said sourly.

"Calm down I'm only teasing, I go for Newcastle as well."

"Good," he said briefly. They laughed, then the bell rang.

"Oh, time to go?" she asked.

"Yeah, English class," Davis replied."

"Bummer, oh well, we can talk through it, he wouldn't shout at the new exchange student."

"You're devious… I like it." They laughed again, then they stood up. Davis let her go first then he led back to the classroom.

*******Last period*******

The last period of the day had been English. This was almost as interesting for Davis as maths had been. Maths had been T.K.'s area of expertise, but English was definitely Kari's. she enjoyed English, the study of texts in particular. Davis was not very good at English, but with Kari's help he was soon becoming a regular master. As for Catherine, she was like Davis, English went right over her head. She was more a scientist, she liked the logical approach, and this meant she wasn't bad at maths either. Catherine was seated in the empty spot next to Davis, (A\N Coincidence, I think not). The class was relatively small, twenty people were conformed into four rows, five people in each. Kari, T.K., Davis, Catherine and another boy called John made up the back row.

This period they had been told to discuss some ethical issues involved in a Shakespearian play of their choosing. This had made an opportunity for Davis and Catherine to talk. They were allowed to rearrange the desks and were now in a block of with T.K. and Kari on the opposite side. They decided that they should at least do some work before they started talking. With the group they had it only took ten minutes to come up with a reasonably lengthy list, they had chosen to do Othello. So for the remaining fifty minutes they talked. Catherine led the discussion as expected and they learnt a lot more about her. She had just come from New York, where she had been for about a year. Before that she was in Toronto Canada, and before that she had been in Europe. She was living in Paris, she had lived there the longest, from as far back as she could remember until she was nine. They were just about to ask where she was born when the bell rang.

"Alright class, pack up and move your desks back to where they were," the teacher, Mr Kamoto, announced.

"I guess we'll have to continue this later," Catherine said. They all stood up and the girls made room for T.K. and Davis to move the desks back into position. They did this rather quickly, then they packed their bags and left the room. They walked with each other to they park where they went their separate ways.

"See you tomorrow," T.K. and Kari said almost in unison.

"Bye, it was nice meeting you," Catherine said as they walked off.

"You too, see you tomorrow," Kari replied.

Davis led Catherine down the pathway through the park. She was enjoying the sights and sound of her new home. The park was rather large and stood out from the surrounding city, and it was clearly visible from the Kamiya's apartment. Davis was not so lucky, he had a view of only cityscape. It was not that bad, most people had a view of another building, while Davis overlooked mainly shorter ones for quite a long way. His apartment building was down the road four intersections, the halfway down that street. It worked out to be about a fifteen minute walk.

"So how far is it to your place?" Catherine asked.

"About twenty minutes on a bad day, so it won't take longer than that."

"Oh, it's closer to the school than my last house was, I used to catch a bus for that long."

"Listen, Catherine, there's something I gotta tell you."

"What is it?"

"Well, my parents don't know you're coming. I didn't know I signed up for this. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I did but they will have no idea."

"Oh, that's okay I guess, but I don't want to seem like an obligation or I'm imposing on anyone."

"You won't, they love having guests, just don't be mad at me, if I'd known someone as great as you was coming I'd have signed up for sure, it's just usually foreign exchange students are such…"

"Nerds, I know, don't worry about it. I'm kinda glad I ended up with someone like you because the people that host foreign exchange students are also nerds." They laughed.

"Come on, it's not much further," Davis said as he changed their direction. He led her down the rather narrow back alley.

"Where are we going?" Catherine asked.

"I'm taking a shortcut, you'll see." He led her to an iron door on the side of a building.

"This is the cleaners entrance, but he knows me and he gave me a key. It cuts off about five minutes."

"Oh, well that's useful." Davis dug out his key chain and sorted through the available keys till he reached a short one. He stuck it in the lock and sure enough it opened. They walked down the hall until they got to a door, Davis opened it and they were in the lobby.

"This is it," he announced. The lobby was not very big, or glamorous, just another hallway with post boxes and elevators. It had a red carpet and two couches. Davis walked over to the mailboxes, he placed yet another key in the brown box and unlocked it. He pulled down the flap and found there was no mail.

"Oh well," he said closing and locking his box, "Come on, I'll show you my place," Davis said enthusiastically. He took her to the elevator.

"What floor are you on?" she asked, blocking him from the buttons.

"Eleven," Davis replied. She hit the button and it highlighted in orange. The metallic doors shut and the elevator began its upward motion. A faint buzz could be heard as it did. It jolted as it stopped.

"Floor eleven, thank you," an electronic male voice sounded. Catherine jumped and grabbed onto Davis's arm, "What was that?" she said frightened, Davis chuckled.

"Don't worry, it's just the elevator. I probably should have told you it did that," Davis said calmly. They then realised that Catherine was grasping to Davis' arm. She let go quickly, then she started hitting him softly, "Why didn't you tell me," she said as she 'beat' him.

"I forgot, but that's no reason to hit me."

"I know, that was for laughing."

"Oh, sorry. Well, lets go inside," Davis said. He ushered her to his door, took out his keys again, then he unlocked the door.

They walked into the apartment, Davis let Catherine in first. She looked around her temporary lodgings. The house was relatively clean, his mom had obviously done a sweep before she left for work. Like most families, both of Davis's parents worked. His mom was usually the first home at around five and his dad at six thirty. Jun was at university so she was out nearly all day every day because of her bad timetable, which she complained about whenever she had the chance. "Take a seat," Davis said pointing to the sofa. She sat down, but Davis did not follow.

"Sorry, I won't be long, I just have to go to my room," Davis said, he left little time for her to answer.

Davis ran to his room and shut the door behind him. Veemon was lying on the bed, sleeping as usual. He heard Davis open close the door and was now sitting up.

"Davis!" he said excitedly.

"Hey, sorry but you've gotta keep it down, I have a guest and she can't here or see you," Davis explained.

"Oh, well I suppose I can do that," Veemon replied, he sounded a little disappointed because he hated hiding from people, it left little time to have fun with Davis. Davis's door then suddenly opened and Catherine was standing in the doorway.

"What is that?" she asked, looking right at Veemon

There you have it, the date scene. I hope it was to your liking. And how will Davis get himself out of this one, could there be a love interest for him, I know the answers (And you could take a pretty good guess). I hope the formatting is better, I write in word and I didn't know it was coming out wrong on the site.. Again, please review, it gives me motivation to write more. Thanks =P!

ĄǜŦħŐŗМǒЙ