Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Beast Within ❯ The discovery ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

*******The park*******

Kari and T.K. were on the usual bench waiting. It was no too cold as the sun was out and there was no wind. The park looked magical, the light shafts shone through the gaps in the trees and lit it just right. Most of the trees still had some leaves, there were also some evergreens and this made a mish mash (A\N pardon my French) of colour. It was beautiful. T.K. and Kari were just admiring the sight. Most of the snow was gone because of the previous nights rainfall, but the storm that night was promised to be the official start to winter with snow setting in for a good few days. In the distance they could now see Davis and Catherine running down the path, but it was not where they should have been coming from.

"Hey guys, sorry we're late," Davis said in between catching his breath.

"Yeah, we got a bit caught up," Catherine continued.

"But why were you coming from that direction?" T.K. asked.

"We went over to your place," Davis replied.

"But we arranged to meet here," Kari said.

"Yeah, but I thought that it was a bit harsh on Veemon leaving him at home alone. He would have to hide from everyone, so I dropped him off with Tai."

"Oh, fair enough," Kari replied.

"Shall we get going?" T.K. asked.

"Yeah, this way," Davis said pointing through the soccer field. He grabbed Catherine's hand and began running down the slope..

"Hey, wait for us," Kari shouted. Both she and T.K. stood up, then began the chase.

Davis and Catherine waited on the other side of the park for T.K. and Kari before they crossed the road. They caught up soon after Davis and Catherine had stopped.

"Come on, it's not far," Davis announced.

"Fine, but can we walk the rest?" Kari asked.

"Sure, I just wanted to keep you guys on your toes."

"Well, consider us there," T.K. replied. They crossed the road and walked at a normal pace. Davis and Catherine were still holding hands, so were T.K. and Kari. The group kept up a small conversation, except for Catherine who was quiet.

"Anything wrong?" Davis asked quietly.

"No, why do you ask?" she replied.

"You just seem quiet, that's all. I wasn't sure if I'd done anything wrong or not."

"No, you haven't done anything, except being really nice." /Maybe I should tell him. No I would only ruin it for them\

"Hey, we're here," Davis announced.

Before them was a tall, ordinary looking building, although it didn't have any windows. Davis entered and walked up to the reception desk.

"Hi, just a group of four, I have some passes," he said to the man waiting.

"Alright, will you need any equipment?"

"Yes, but we'll only take harnesses."

"Right, can you come this way please," he said. The group followed him down a hallway and through a door on the left. It was a large equipment room. They had all sorts of things, from shoes, to harnesses and even spare holds, lots of them. The man reached over to the harness shelf and dug four out. He handed them to everyone.

"Do you know how to put them on?"

"No, this is our first time," Davis replied.

"Alright, you put your left leg in this loop, and your right one through this loop. Just make sure the large loop is around you like a belt. And to tighten them, use these straps." He showed them everything as he was speaking (A\N that's the best I can do, I hope it made sense to people that haven't been, I myself go regularly, it's good fun). Everyone slipped them on without a problem.

"All set," he asked. They nodded and he showed them into the main room, via a door on the right of the hallway.

The main room was huge. It had stairs going up to an observation deck that was about ten metres up, with climbs of about ten metres below it. The main area was filled with many climes of twenty or so metres, and a pit area that had only five climbs, but with the extra height they reached at least forty metres. There were some overhangs on a few climbs in each height area. Also, each climb had a difficulty rating, there were five levels, warm up, easy, medium, hard and really hard. There was a refreshment counter and a seating are in one corner.

"Wow, this place is great," Davis said in awe as he looked around.

"Yeah, let's try this out," T.K. said.

"But which wall?" Kari asked.

"Hmm, those look to short, so lets take the medium height walls," Davis suggested. /Oh great, here we go\ Catherine thought.

They walked over to some warm up climbs.

"Who's going?" Davis asked.

"How about we make it ladies first?" T.K. suggested.

"Oh sure, brave as always," Kari said sarcastically.

"That's not my crest now is it? Besides, I was just being polite," T.K. snapped.

"Hey, I was joking," Kari apologised.

"Yeah, I know, I just wanted to see you sweat," T.K. said with a smile on his face.

"So, why don't you two get hooked in?" Davis suggested. Kari and Catherine secured themselves. /You can do this, come on\ Catherine thought. Davis and T.K. readied themselves to belay.

Kari got right into it. The hand holds were large and she could grip them easily. She was making her way up, occasionally stopping to think about the route, but she was going well. Catherine was more apprehensive. She was desperately trying to hide the shaking in her arms, and was just managing. She had made her way up about half of the wall when she made her first mistake, she looked down. She freaked, and totally froze.

"Hey Kat, are you okay?" Davis shouted from below.

"N…No, I'm stuck." Kari had made it to the top and was on her way down she landed on the floor delicately.

"What's wrong?"

"I… I can't move."

"Why, are you afraid?"

"Yeah."

"Just hang on, focus on the wall."

"Okay." Davis gripped the ropes tighter now.

"Hey T.K., can you take these?" he asked.

"Sure," T.K. unclipped from Kari's ropes and on to Catherine's.

"What's the problem?" Kari asked.

"She's afraid."

"What are you gonna do?" T.K. asked.

"I'm going up," Davis replied. He took off his jacket and sat down on the floor.

"What are you doing?" Kari asked.

"You'll see," Davis replied with a smile on his face. He leaned over and grabbed a small tie on one of his pant's legs. He puled the tie around his leg and back to it's original position. He did the same with the other. He stood up and the bottom of his pants fell off.

"Oh I see, zip off pants, very clever," T.K. said sarcastically.

"Well, I knew that I would get too hot in long pants, and it's a little cold out."

"Yeah, I know," T.K. replied.

"Sorry to foil you're plan Davis, but I'm stuck," Kari said. She was right. The securing piece on her carabiner was rusty and it was stuck.

"Not to worry, I'll use this wall." He walked over to the wall on the other side of Catherine.

"Davis, are you nuts, that's a medium?" Kari said in disbelief.

"I know, but I'll manage. Kari, can you belay me?"

"Yeah, I think my rope will reach." She walked over and took hold of the rope.

Davis got onto the wall and scaled it with speed. In no time he was up to Catherine.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"No. I've never told anyone this, but I'm really petrified of heights."

"That's okay, it's not you're fault."

"Yeah, but I'm too scared to move, I looked down and I just froze."

"Don't worry, I'll help you."

"But I can't move."

"First rule, you can. Just trust what I tell you." He moved himself across horizontally so he was closer to her. He leant over and put his hand over hers.

"We'll take it slow, Are you're feet secure?"

"Yeah."

"Then just move this hand up to that hold." He moved her hand and placed it on to a higher hold.

"But I thought we were going down?"

"No, I'm gonna get you to the top."

"I don't know about that."

"Come on, I'll get you through this. Now, just grip with this hand and move you're left foot over to the left and up to the next hold." She did this and was now ready to go, up or down, right now she didn't care.

"Okay. Now when I say, I want you to push with you're left foot and pull with you're right hand. Then just reach with you're right leg and place it here," Davis took his hand off of hers and showed her the hold he was talking about.

"Right, you ready?"

"I suppose."

"Okay, one, two, three, go." She apprehensively did as he said and she was there. Davis moved up as well.

"See, you did it, well done."

"Oh sure," Catherine scoffed.

"No, I mean it, that was really good. You are up hear facing your worst fear and you took the huge first step."

"I'm sorry I said that."

"Don't worry. I know what this feels like. When I was four my family went on a trip to the mountains. We were on a hike and I slipped and was dangerously close to the edge. It was only about four metres, but I was so scared. But here I am, I got through it and conquered my fear."

"That must have been horrible."

"Like I said, here I am, and here you are. How about we do the rest, together?"

"Sure, I'll try."

"Right, where do we go from here?" Davis was thinking out loud.

"How about right hand to that one there?" Catherine suggested unsurely.

"Yeah, that'll do nicely, see you can do this." Catherine smiled. They continued up, Davis had a hard time staying close to her, as his wall was not meant to be climbed so close to the other, but he managed. They were going slowly, but steadily, and soon they found them selves at the top. Catherine reached for the button at the top and hit it. The light at the top of the wall came on and she knew now that it was over.

"Well done, you did superbly," Davis congratulated.

"Thanks, but how do we get down?"

"I don't think you're going to like this part. You have to let go."

"What, what do you mean?"

"Well, you let go and T.K. will lower you down."

"Uh…"

"You'll do fine." He looked down, "Hey T.K., you ready?"

"Sure, whenever you are," he shouted back.

"Okay, just take my hand." Davis leant over and they took each others hand.

"Right, take deep breath," he said as he moved over and placed his other hand on hers. "Now, when you're ready, just let go and take my other hand."

"Okay, here I go." She gripped Davis's hand properly and let go. They swung a little away from the wall and she quickly grabbed his other hand.

"Okay guys, let us down." T.K. and Kari began to lower them down.

Once on the ground Catherine let out a huge sigh of relief.

"You did it, I knew you could," Davis said, a huge smile on his face. Catherine was shaking, she didn't want to let go of Davis's hands. T.K. undid their carabiners and they sat down.

"You okay?" he said softly.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Thanks to you," she replied. Her voice was shaky.

"Anytime," he was smiling. She returned it.

"Davis you little liar, you've dome this before," Kari said sternly.

"Yeah, I have been a few times. I just didn't want to make you guys feel stupid, or intimidate you."

"Okay, I suppose I can let it go," she replied.

"Hey, let me get you out of that," T.K. offered. He walked over and grabbed the carabiner. He had to twist hard but he managed to get it loose.

"There," he said. Kari unclipped and they sat next to them.

"Hey Catherine, well done, you did great," Kari said.

"Yeah, you really did a great job," T.K. added.

"Thanks guys. You can call me Kat if you like, I don't mind at all."

"Sorry about that, I just presumed," Davis said, realising what he had said earlier.

"No, I actually like it, all my friends used to call me Kat."

"Then that's what it'll be."

"Do you guys want something to drink?" Kari offered.

"Yeah, get us some hot chocolate," Davis replied. T.K. and Kari headed for the refreshment counter.

"Do you wanna go over to the seats?"

"Yeah. It'll be better than these floors," she replied.

Davis grabbed his jacket and pants' legs. They walked over to the seats and found a table. The sat down opposite each other, and placed their hands, still together, on the table. Catherine was really shaken up, but she was calming down.

"Calm down Kat, were on solid ground now, you're safe."

"I know, I just can't shake it."

"Well, you can hold on as long as you like, I don't mind."

"Thanks Davis."

"Hey, what are friends for?"

T.K. and Kari wondered over, "Here you go, hot chocolate all round," T.K. said as he sat, everyone took a sip.

"You guys can go do another climb if you want, don't stay here because of me," Catherine said.

"No, I'm not going anywhere until you're ready," Davis replied.

"Yeah, we'll wait for you," Kari added.

"No, you guys go, I didn't say anything because I didn't want to ruin you're fun, and if you don't go I'll feel bad."

"You sure?" T.K. asked.

"Yes, just go."

"Alright, we'll come back after this climb to check on you." T.K. and Kari stood, but Davis did not.

"Come on Davis," T.K. said. /I can't go, not now, I need an excuse though\.

"It's done in pairs, so I'll stay."

"Okay, see you in a few," T.K. said as they left.

"Davis, you should go, just take turns or something." /Please stay Davis, please\

"No, I'm not leaving you like this."

"But I don't want to ruin it for you, I saw you climbing, you were loving it."

/I love being here more\, "I'll have more fun here, being a third wheel is no fun. I know, I was one for quite a long time."

/Thank you Davis, you're too good to me\. They were silent, neither of them had much to say (A\N i.e.: I'm running out of small talk).

"I feel like I should at least be talking to you, but I don't know what to say."

"Then don't say anything, just try to calm down."

"Okay, I'm sorry I'm such a wreck."

"You're not, you're a brave person, you've just faced you're darkest fear and you've come out much better than I would."

"Hey guys, how's it going?" It was T.K.'s voice.

"We're fine," Davis replied.

"Do you wanna go climb?" Kari asked. He looked at Catherine she was still not better, "No, I'm actually kinda hungry, how about lunch?"

"Okay, that sounds like a good idea," Kari answered.

They decided on their lunch and T.K. went to get it. Both T.K. and Davis were having a 'large meal', which consisted of a large burger with all he trimmings, large fries, and large coke, (A\N how original, you wouldn't have expected that!), the girls decided on a chicken sandwich. When T.K. got back with the orders Davis moved around the table so that he was he was next to Catherine. He had to let go of one of her hands so that he could eat. The meal seemed to calm her down and afterwards she was ready to let go of Davis so he could do a few more climbs. Both he and T.K. had been eyeing the large walls, they loved a challenge and just before it was time to go they decided to take it on. Davis did a medium climb while T.K. did an easy. They both managed to reach the top, but it took them a long time. Once at the top, Davis looked out of one of the vents on the roof. All he saw was blackness, which meant it was night time. Then Catherine let him down.

"Hey guys, we'd better get going, it's probably late," Davis said when he reached the floor. Kari looked at her watch.

"Yeah, it's seven," she said.

"Wow, time flies huh," T.K. started.

"When you're having fun." Catherine finished. Davis looked at her and smiled, she smiled back.

"Well, let's get going," Davis suggested. They left via the hallway and walked out of the building. It was bitingly cold, the air was fresh and crisp. It was enough to make Davis put the legs back on his pants, and make T.K. wish he had some for his. They walked briskly back to the Kamiya's place, no one really spoke, they didn't want to waste the energy, or warmth.

*******Kamiya Residence*******

The group rushed through the door and found that it was really warm inside. Tai was still in the lounge, but he was asleep. There was a myriad of books and papers on the table, chair and floor. Agumon and Veemon were watching TV together, while Patamon and Gatomon were not in the room. Agumon and Veemon had become very good friends since they had met, probably because they were so similar. They both had huge appetites, hated being alone, and were both very inquisitive, always trying to learn more about the human world. They were also very protective of there partners. Whenever the group got together they would make jokes together, and just mess around. It was also like with Davis and Tai, Veemon really looked up to Agumon.

Tai stirred a bit and his eyes opened.

"Working hard then?" Kari said.

"Huh, oh it's you guys. Yeah, you don't know the half of it," he replied, he was still a bit out of it.

"So do you think you're ready?" T.K. asked.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure, but we'll see tomorrow."

"Hey Tai, I hope Veemon didn't cause any trouble," Davis said.

"Nah, both he and Agumon were actually very helpful," Tai replied. Veemon got up and walked over to Davis.

"Don't you trust me or something?" Veemon said, he sounded insulted.

"No, it's not that, you just say something like that to be polite," Davis whispered.

"Oh, I get it."

"Hey, you haven't said if you had fun," Tai said.

"Yeah, we really did," Catherine replied. Both T.K. and Kari looked a little surprised.

"So what about you guys?" he asked addressing the others.

"Yeah, it was great," T.K. answered.

"You should go sometime," Kari added.

"So what about you Davis?" Tai asked.

"I'd say it was a worthwhile experience," Davis replied with a cunning smile on his face. Tai knew what this meant, now he needed to make an excuse to talk to him.

"So how about a drink?" Tai offered. Everyone agreed, it was coffees all round.

"Hey Davis, will you give me hand?" Tai asked.

"Ah, I suppose," Davis said trying to sound disappointed. The two of them left the room. Both Veemon and Agumon knew what they were up to and joined them.

"They do this so often," Kari replied.

"Do what?" Catherine asked.

"Well, whenever they want to talk about something and they don't want anyone else to hear they make up some cheesy excuse like that," Kari replied.

"But this gives us a chance to talk," T.K. started.

"About what?" Catherine asked.

"Well, he's not in the room," Kari replied, picking up on T.K.'s idea.

"Oh, I see, Davis huh," Catherine answered, she seemed to shy up a little.

"Well, what do you think of him?" Kari asked, initiating the interrogation.

"He's a nice guy, he seemed a little blunt at first, but he has a really deep and sensitive side to him as well, sometimes he's so sweet," Catherine was getting lost in her thoughts, but she snapped out of it. Both T.K. and Kari knew it now for sure, she was nuts for him, and Catherine knew they could sense it.

"Sorry, um, I, uh," she was trying to cover up, but it was too late.

"So you like him then?" Kari whispered, more to comfort her, she knew that there was no way that the guys in the kitchen could hear.

"Yeah, I do," she replied. Kari and T.K. smiled, but she looked really afraid for some reason.

"Don't worry, we won't tell anyone," T.K. said.

"Yeah, we wouldn't do that to you," Kari added.

"Thanks, I'm a little unsure about this right now, and I just want to see how he acts."

"I don't think you have too much to worry about," T.K. replied.

"Really?"

"Yeah, me neither, he seems to like you a lot," Kari said.

"I guess time will tell," Catherine replied, she said it in a very unsure tone.

"Come on, don't say it like that, he'll make his move soon," Kari replied.

"You think?"

"I really do."

"Yeah, give him a day or so," T.K. added. (A\N Heh heh heh, we'll see, muhahahah).

*******The kitchen area(A\N Just for clarity)*******

"So, what are you smiling about?" Tai asked.

"Yeah, spill it," Veemon added.

"Alright, I'll talk. We were at the centre and T.K. suggested the girls go up first. So Kari and Kat went up."

"So it's Kat now?" Tai said cunningly.

"Yeah, it just popped out today, but she likes it. Anyway, Kari was fine, she managed it, but Kat got stuck half way. She was afraid of heights and she was too worried about ruining our fun to tell us. She froze so I went up to help her, on a medium climb mind you."

"Ah, showing off huh," Tai said.

"No… well sort of, but I wanted to help her. So I went up and she told me all about not wanting to ruin our fun. I said it was okay and she shouldn't be embarrassed. Then I helped her finish the climb. When we got to the top she didn't want to let go, but I said that she should trust me. I took her hand and told her when she was ready to let go and take my other hand. We got down and she was really shaken, she didn't want to let go."

"So you made a move then?" Tai said, trying to rush Davis to the point.

"No, but we went and sat down, she still didn't let go. She wanted me to go take turns climbing with T.K. and Kari, but I said that I would have more fun with her. She was just about to say something but T.K. and Kari came back and she didn't."

"Agh, all that hype for that," Agumon said.

"Hey, ease up Agumon, this is a good sign. Davis has now shown his feelings without really showing them, now we can easily watch how she acts and know how she feels."

"Oh, that's great," he replied.

"Yeah, I think she could say something tonight," Davis said in a hopeful tone.

"This is great Davis, you'll have to tell me tomorrow."

"I will, but we'd better make those coffees."

"Yeah. Hey, do you guys want some?" he asked Veemon and Agumon.

"Sure," they replied.

"Hey, make theirs a decaff," Davis whispered.

"I'm one step ahead of you," Tai replied. Tai continued with the coffee making, while Davis searched for some snacks. Fortunately the grocery shopping had been done earlier so there was a wealth of snacks to be found. He grabbed a few varieties of biscuits and placed them on a plate. They walked out with the load and placed it on the table.

Tai cleared away some of his books so there was more room. He took most of the mess back to his room and dumped it on his desk. He returned to the lounge, everyone had made themselves comfortable. Kari had cuddled close to T.K., Catherine was next to Davis and they were holding hands. Veemon was below Davis, and Agumon awaited Tai's return on the empty couch. Seeing everyone together made Tai longed for Sora's company. With all that was going on it had been ages since they had any time alone(A\N Really sorry 'bout this, but it's coming soon), and he missed it. His mind was now filled with thoughts of her, he was almost in a trance. The memories flashed before his eyes and he was now completely fixated. The group was getting a little worried because he was just standing there. Then, out of nowhere, there was an aching pain in his stomach. He hunched over and moaned in pain.

"Tai are you alright?" Kari asked.

"I, I'm fine," he just managed to get it out. He slowly walked over to the seat and lay out flat. The pain subsided, and slowly faded away.

"What was that all about?" Davis asked.

"Yeah, what's up?" Agumon added.

"Stomach cramp, I haven't eaten all day."

"Tai, you know better than that," Kari said, giving her brother odd look. It was a lie. They had a huge lunch that day. His parents had brought some shopping home at noon, and then left to go back to work.

"No, we…" Veemon started, but he was tacked by Agumon.

"What's that for?" Veemon asked.

"Just messing around, why don't we get Patamon and Gatomon, I'm sure they're hungry.

"Okay, as long as you don't tackle me again," Veemon said as they left. Kari handed Tai the plate and he took a few biscuits and began eating them.

Agumon took Veemon into Tai's room.

"Hey, aren't they in Kari's room?" Veemon asked.

"Yeah, but we need to talk."

"Why?"

"You can't tell them about lunch, and if Tai lies again you have to promise you'll go along with it."

"Okay, I won't tell. But why?"

"He might tell you, I'll ask, but I promised not to say anything so I can't."

"Alright, I guess."

"Thanks, I know this is a little odd, but is important, and I'll see hat I can do to get him to explain it."

"Okay, let's get the others now." They walked out of the room and entered Kari's.

The four digimon re-entered the lounge. Veemon and Agumon drank their coffee and had a few snacks. Patamon and Gatomon weren't really interested, they were full after lunch, and thankfully oblivious to the previous conversation. Tai was now sitting upright and he was fine. Even if it wasn't a hunger cramp the food had helped, and the pain was now gone.

"Are we ready to go?" Davis asked.

"Yeah, I suppose we should," Catherine said. Agumon walked over to Tai. He began whispering, "I had to tell Veemon to go along with the lie, but I think an explanation would be nice. It's up to you though."

"No, you're right," Tai replied, then he spoke normally again, "Davis, we should clean this up first," Tai said. He battled with that one, but he wanted it to sound like a cheesy excuse, so they didn't catch on.

"Alright," /What does he want now, a picture\ Davis thought as he stood. They grabbed all the dishes and walked out of the room. Agumon tugged Veemon so he would come too. They put the dishes down, but then they moved to Tai's room.

"Here they go again," T.K. said.

"Davis, we need to talk. But you have to promise that what is said stays in this room."

"Okay, sure."

"Agumon had to keep Veemon quiet earlier, he wasn't just messing around, it was serious. We had a huge lunch today, I lied to you, Veemon had to keep this lie. Agumon did not explain because I told him not to, but he deserves it. I thought it would be unfair to make him keep it from you so I'm telling you both."

"What is it Tai, you're creeping me a bit here."

"Yeah, what's all the secrecy about," Veemon added.

"That was not a hunger cramp, it is caused by something else. I cannot tell you exactly what is happening, because I don't know myself. This much I do know…" Tai began the long story, (A\N it's a repeat of what he told T.K., I don't think you need to hear it twice).

"…And that's why you can't tell anyone."

"Okay, I promise," Davis agreed.

"Me too, no a sole," Veemon said.

"You'd better get going, I'll be right behind you," Tai said. Davis and Veemon left the room, /Man, that's heavy. He's pretty brave, I don't think I could do it\ Davis though as he left.

"I should have known I wouldn't have been able to keep this from everyone.

"I tried to tell you," Agumon replied.

"Hey, what did I tell you about being smart," Tai joked. They laughed. This felt good for Tai, it relieved some tension. He and Agumon left the room. They said goodbye to Catherine, Davis and Veemon, then returned to the lounge.

Davis, Catherine and Veemon got out onto the street and were reminded once again of how cold it had gotten. It was now eight and although the snack had helped, they all longed for dinner. Davis held Catherine's hand tightly. Through his glove he could feel her hand was cold. he let go of her hand, and took the glove off. He replaced his hand on hers and could now feel the intensity of her coldness. His warm hand helped to warm hers, She smiled, "Thank you."

"Don't worry, I'm used to the temperature here," Davis replied.

"No just for that, for everything."

"What?"

"Today silly, I never really got to thank you for what you did, let alone what you said. You weren't concerned about yourself, you only cared that I was happy."

"I just did what I thought was right."

"I'm glad you did, I needed it."

"Well, like I said, anytime you need a shoulder mine's right here."

"Are you this good to everyone?"

"You're not everyone, you're Catherine… and you're special to me."

"What do you mean?"

"You're the only girl I've ever been able to just talk to, like really talk. I don't know why, but I just can."

"You mean about Kari?"

"About everything. Look, Catherine I like you. I like you a lot, and I want to be with you."

"I'm here now."

"That's not what I mean. I don't want it to be you and me, I want it to be us." Davis stopped walking. Veemon had been close by his side, but he had made sure to stay out of the way, he knew that Davis needed his space with this one.

"Davis… I want to be us too, ever since the first night here. You were always open with me, you shared a huge part of your life with me."

"I know. That first night here I felt strange, nothing like I'd ever felt before. I was confused and that's why I didn't say anything to you, I didn't know what it meant."

"That's why you went to Tai, because he's been through it."

"Yeah, you caught me."

"Don't worry. But if we're going to be us, how about a hug?" Davis was so happy, he couldn't speak. He had too much experience with rejection, and now he had what he always wanted, someone to be with him. He let go of her hand, then and clasped her tightly in his arms. He could feel She was cold. He rubbed her back and then broke it off.

"You're freezing Kat, I'd better get you home."

"I didn't want to be a problem, but now that you mention it, yes, yes I am cold. So home would be nice."

Davis took her hand and they began walking. He noticed that he had called his apartment 'home', and he was now even happier. Veemon moved back to Davis's side, "Nice one buddy," he whispered.

"Thanks," he replied.

"What?" Catherine said, she hadn't heard what was said, just talking.

"Nothing, I was just thinking out loud."

"Oh, what about?"

"How happy I am." Davis smiled and they continued walking.

*******Kamiya Residence*******

The group was still in the lounge. By now T.K. and Kari were also hungry so they had put some pre-made pizzas in the oven. Tai hadn't had anymore cramps, but since then, the stomach pains and the burning in his neck had gotten worse. It was bad, but he could subdue it. The timer on the stove went off, and this meant dinner. T.K. and Tai went to get it. They had cooked three, just to be on the safe side. They brought them back on three different plates, it was going to be self serve. Tai also took the pizza cutter. They put the plates down on the now fully cleared coffee table, and Tai cut them into eighths.

Agumon was the first to grab a slice, but everyone soon followed in his footsteps.

"Mmm, this is good," T.K. said.

"Yeah, it sure is," Tai agreed. Agumon shared their thoughts, but he had a mouthful, so he decided not to speak.

"Hey, turn on the TV, I want to check the weather," Tai said. T.K. was closest to the remote so he grabbed it and turned it on. The announcers voice said just what T.K. and Kari were hoping for, "All schools are closing early due to the bad weather conditions forecast. However, all senior exams are still on, and all students are expected to attend, teachers across the area have guaranteed failure of all students who miss the exam without a doctors certificate.

"Ah damn, if only Joe was an official doctor," Tai joked.

"This is great, no more school," T.K. rejoiced.

"Yeah, we can do what we like," Kari continued.

"Lucky you," Tai said a bit sourly.

"Hey, you only have three hours tomorrow, and they'll fly by," T.K. said.

"That's right, I almost forgot it was only a half day. Hey, that means I only have three more hours of school period," Tai said.

"No need to get cocky," Kari said.

"Sorry, but I'd better phone Davis, or he'll turn up," Kari said. She walked over to the phone in the kitchen and dialled Davis's number. It rang several times before someone answered.

"Hello… Motomiya residence." It was Jun's cursed voice. She always answered in the same annoying way, and Kari hated it.

"Hi, is Davis there?"

"Sure, I'll get him." She waited for a while. In the background she heard Jun calling him, his reply, her taking offence at nothing, him giving her reason to take offence, her shouting back, him giving up and going to the phone, and finally her annoyance at him walking away (A\N sorry, but it makes sense in my head).

"Hey," Davis eventually answered. He managed to shake all his annoyance with Jun out of his voice. It was a talent he had. No matter what was said to him and how angry he got, two seconds later he would be back to his usual self, as if nothing had happened.

"Just making sure that you know, there's no more school."

"What?"

"They decided to cancel it all because of forecast snow storms. Excepting exams."

"Cool. But I bet Tai's not pleased."

"He got over it when he realised that he only has three more hours of school, ever."

"Well now it just seems like nothing doesn't it?"

"I know, we said the same thing. But I won't hold up world war three any longer."

"Huh, oh that. Nah, she stormed out. Suits me fine, gets rid of her for a while."

"You know Davis, you're a really good brother, so nice all the time."

"Hey, you know what I have to live with, you got it easy with Tai."

"I suppose. Oh well, We'll probably end up seeing you tomorrow."

"Yeah, it does sorta work that way. Oh well, bye… and tell Tai I'll talk to him tomorrow."

"Okay, bye." Kari hung up the phone and returned to the lounge.

By now most of the pizza was gone, Agumon, Tai and T.K. had mouthfuls.

"Hey, thanks for saving me some," Kari said as she entered.

"Shorry," they slurred.

"That's okay," Kari said picking up another slice.

"What did Davis say?" T.K. asked.

"He was as happy as we were, and then he said he'd speak to you tomorrow Tai."

"Did he say why?"

"No, just said he would." Tai smiled, he had a good idea what Davis wanted. The group continued devouring the pizza until it was all gone. Tai cleared the plates as usual and put them right into the dishwasher. He turned it on and returned to the lounge.

"Hey guys, I'm gonna go for a shower," he announced.

"Okay, we'll just be in here," T.K. replied. Tai walked into his room and got a clean pair of boxers. He then left his room and went to the bathroom. One inside he shut the door. He took off his jacket and shirt and placed them on the floor. He walked over to the mirror. He began examining his neck. The burning was intensifying and he was worried. He looked and found the spot had grown and was almost glowing a bright red. This really troubled him, soon it was going to be too large and outstanding to hide. He slipped off his left glove and gently touched the spot. His hands were cold, despite the gloves and as soon as his finger made contact with it, there was a sharp pain. On top of that, the cold of his hand didn't help the burning at all. /This is not good,\ he thought. He dropped his pants and took off his crest. He looked at the symbol contained within. /Courage huh, I can't even tell my friends a simple secret. No, I have to keep this from them, for their own good.\ his thoughts were a contradiction, but he couldn't help it, he had no idea what was going on.

He opened the shower door, leaned in, and started the water. He dropped his boxers and got under the stream. It was heaven on his skin. The water seemed to help relieve some of his tension. He ran his fingers through his hair. It flopped down. When his hair was not in it's usual style it was actually quite long, it hung down almost at his shoulders, but it was terribly uneven. He soaped himself down and washed off the days sweat. Then got back under the water and rinsed it off. Tai turned off the water and grabbed his towel. He stepped out of the shower and was now very cold. He quickly dressed himself, making sure to conceal the now bright red spot on his neck. He left the bathroom and rejoined the others in the lounge.

Agumon was eagerly awaiting his arrival on the one couch. Tai sat down and he jumped right onto him.

"Hey, slow down there," Tai said as he landed.

"But I'm cold," Agumon replied.

"Yeah, I can feel that." Tai looked over to T.K. and Kari. They had been talking, but it didn't seem to be an involved conversation.

"Hey, what's the time?" Tai asked.

"Nine thirty," T.K. replied.

"Ah man, and I've gotta get up early tomorrow."

"Why, what time is you're exam?" Kari asked.

"Eight thirty, but they want us there by eight fifteen."

"That is early," T.K. replied.

"For you guys," Kari commented.

"Well, I think I may as well hit the hay, no reason to stay up now."

"Yeah, good idea. I think I'll join you, ten to one the noise will wake me up."

"Sorry, but I can't help it. If I must suffer so should you all," Tai added an evil chuckle at the end.

"Pure evil. Come back to the light side brother," Kari said picking up on his joke.

"Never."

"We have chocolate," T.K. said fishing out a snickers bar from his front pocket.

"Well, when you put it like that," Tai said grabbing it from his hands.

"Seriously Tai, I wouldn't eat that, I don't know where it came from or how old it is." Tai just shrugged and took a huge bite.

Kari cringed, "Grose," she said. Tai swallowed, then faked that it was poisoned.

"For that I hope it really is off," Kari said.

"Ah, I know what'll make you feel better… a little chocolate," he said pointing it her way.

"Yuk, get that away from me." Kari left and entered her room. Gatomon followed close behind and she shut the door. Tai and T.K. took that as a hint to just leave it and go into their room. Tai didn't bother turning on the light, they both stripped down to their boxers (A\n Oops, Tai's in his boxers again, just keeping the girls out there happy =P), and got into bed. Agumon and Patamon followed and got in with them. They rolled over and went to sleep.

This was not going to be the restful night Tai had hoped for. He was again tossing and turning, but this time it was worse, he was awake. Agumon was also on the floor again. Tai lay, unable to control his actions, just reacting to the pain he felt all over. He moaned as quietly as he could manage, but it was hard for him to hold it in. It was like he was there, just in the back seat. He twisted and ravaged his body into a number of odd positions, none could sooth the pain. Suddenly it intensified. He lunged to the left and to the right, and then he convulsed right into the air. Tai screamed in agony, and only stopped when he hit the bed again. T.K. roused, and sat up. Tai just lay there, all the pain was gone. In fact, even the burning in his neck was feint.

"Tai?" T.K. said slowly. Tai lifted his head and opened his eyes. T.K. lunged back at what he saw, "Holy…" T.K. was greeted with the image of darkness. It was the blackest night he had ever seen, but this is not what had scared him. Gleaming back at him in the darkness were a pair of eyes, flaming red eyes… Tai's eyes.

Sorry, I had to end it there, everyone loves a good cliff hanger. Okay, so maybe they don't, but it's too bad. For bring so patient with me over the long break I decided to give you both these chaps at once. They should also be relatively type o free, I think I got them all. I was also wondering, does this inane chatter bother anyone, how about my comments, coz I can stop. Also I apologise for the use of some aussie slang, sometimes I just cannot think what else to call things. That and my constant weird tones of voice. If you don't know what I'm getting at jus try to replace it with you feel is appropriate. Thanks for all the reviews, and I promise the Taiora is coming soon. I miss my poor Taiora relationship, Davis kinda stole the spotlight, but he is my fav (Not by far) so you can see my dilemma

ĄǜŦħŐŗМǒЙ