Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Betrayal ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The next morning two detectives dropped by to question Valeri, but because she was still unconscious, they talked to Skylar and Beelzemon instead.
“Did you see who attacked her?”
“No. But I still know who did, his name’s Dagger.”
“Dagger…hmm…” one of the detectives mused. He turned to his partner. “Isn’t that the name of that kid we found strangled nearly to death in the park?”
His partner nodded. “Yes. Luckily, he survived but just barely. The bruises on him. Wow! Someone or something strong had definitely inflicted those upon him,” she said. “We were actually thinking the one who attacked Dagger had also attacked your friend.”
“Hell no! I’d never hurt Val like that!” Beelzemon said as he stood up.
Both detectives looked at him, puzzled. “Huh?”
“I’m the one that almost killed ‘im. But I made sure to not choke him enough so that it would fully kill him. Though I wish it had. Damn bastard!” Beelzemon clenched his fist and jaw tightly.
“So, you are the one who attacked Dagger, right?”
“Yeah, so what?”
“Um,” Both partners exchanged glances before he looked at Beelzemon. “Then you are under arrest for battery.”
As they walked up to him, one holding handcuffs, Beelzemon folded his arms. “I can go without ‘em.”
“But it’s procedure.”
“Don’t care. I’m goin’ without ‘em or I ain’t goin’ at all.”
“Fine, have it your way.”
Skylar watched as the two detectives led Beelzemon away. “This is bad, really bad.” He looked down at Valeri.
Valeri slowly regained her senses an hour later. She grunted in pain as she tried to sit upright, pain coursed through her whole body viciously.
“Valeri, are you alright?”
“Huh?” Valeri looked to her side to see Skylar watching her intently, worry in his eyes. “S-Skylar? Where’s Beelzemon? Shouldn’t you be with him?”
“Er, well…he was arrested earlier…they probably have him at the police station.” Skylar explained hesitantly.
“What? But why?”
Skylar shrugged. “I dunno. Wait, what are you doing? You aren’t supposed to get up.”
“I don’t care!” Valeri said as she stood up, wincing from the pain that shot through her. “Hand me my clothes, please.”
Skylar handed Valeri her pants and shoes, looking away as she put them on.
“Come on! You have to take me to the police station, now!” Valeri said as she walked towards the door.
“No, wait, Val!” Skylar called as he leapt to his feet and ran after her. He grabbed her wrist when he caught up to her.
She jerked her hand away, glaring at him. “Stop it!”
“No,” Skylar said. “You don’t need to go to the station, you need to stay here and rest.”
“Why are you here?! Shouldn’t you be with him instead of staying with me? You’re his boyfriend now aren’t you?!” Valeri demanded angrily, tears gathering at the back of her eyes.
“Valeri….” Skylar paused, unable to think of anything to say.
“That’s what I thought. What does he see in you? What’s so special about you that he left me, after all the promises he made and all I had to do just to make him stay before?! I wish Dagger had killed me, then no one would have to worry about me. How sick and sad I am, how depressed I am. I’m not worth caring about. I’m not worth anything to anyone!” Tears spilled from her eyes in hot waves and bile rose in her throat as it closed. She fell to her knees, sobbing into her hands.
Skylar hurried to her, throwing his arms around her in a comforting hug. “I’m sorry, Valeri. I’m so sorry. I was selfish. Hate me if you want. This is my fault. I’ll take you to see Beelzemon.”
Valeri looked up at him through clouded eyes. “You-you will? Thank you. I’m sorry for my outburst. I couldn’t help it.”
“I understand. Come on. Let’s go.” Skylar said as he stood up, pulling Valeri up with him.
When they arrived at the police station, an officer led them to the interrogation room. The two watched as Beelzemon and the male detective talked from outside the room, though they were unable to hear what was being said.
“Tell me again why I gotta be in here?”
“Because, you nearly killed Dagger. You are here so we can find out why.”
“I already told you idiots! He’s the one that hurt Valeri, get it through your thick skull!” Beelzemon snarled. He was growing tired of being questioned for the same things repeatedly.
“How are you so sure it was Dagger?”
“Because, I can smell him. That bastard’s stench was all over her. It was quite easy.” Beelzemon replied, folding his arms.
“How can we be so sure that it wasn’t you who molested Valeri in the first place? You seem like a strong fella. Wouldn’t be too hard for someone like you to force a defenseless girl into submission-”
Something in Beelzemon snapped. He rose to his feet. “You bastard!” he snarled, grabbing the man roughly by his throat with both hands, shaking him violently. “You stupid idiot! You have no idea what I’ve gone through with her! Not one! Yeah, I hurt her like that once before. But it was an accident! You know what it feels like ta know you hurt the one you love, do you? No! It rips up your insides, tears you to pieces. Yet she begged me to stay, forgave me,” He paused, suddenly realizing something. “Oh hell! That’s right! She did,” He released his hold on the man. “She did, after what I did to her. I don’t think she will this time though,” He dropped down in the chair, cradling his head in his hands. “Not this time.”
The man hurried out of the room, clutching his throat. “Oh my God! That guy’s a maniac!”
Valeri walked into the room while the other detective was busy taking care of her partner. She walked over to Beelzemon, placing a hand on his shoulder.
He looked up at her in surprise. “V-Val? What are you doing here?”
“I came to see you.”
Beelzemon looked away. “That was stupid.”
Valeri gasped softly. “But why?”
“Because of what I did to you. If I hadn’t have left, you wouldn’t be in this condition. I don’t know exactly why I did it. But I’m sorry.”
Valeri wrapped her arms around him. “You left me because I wasn’t good enough for you, you wanted something different.”
Beelzemon was shocked by what Valeri was saying “No! Valeri, no. It’s not that you weren’t good enough for me; you’re too good for me. You’re such a wonderful person. I should never have left. But it’s too late now. You probably don’t want me back now.”
“Of course I do! I still love you. I do want you back. The question is, do you want to?”
“Yes!” Beelzemon said, hugging her gently. “I miss ya. I hate seeing you so depressed and upset every day. I see the way you avoid us. I was watching you the day of the dance. I wanted to talk to ya but couldn’t bring myself to do it, so I tried later but ya were asleep.”
“What did you want to tell me?” Valeri asked curiously.
“That I was sorry. That I still loved ya. That I was considering coming back to ya if ya’d let me.”
“Of course. I never did get to apologize to you about before. You aren’t inconsiderate. I was just so upset that, that was just what came out. I regretted that later. I knew I hurt you by telling you that. So I’m sorry. Could you forgive me?”
“What kinda question is that? Valeri, of course I do. I knew that ya hadn’t really meant it. I know how ya are.”
Valeri sighed with relief but it was cut short when Beelzemon pressed his lips to hers eagerly, pulling her closer.
Outside, Skylar watched them, feeling a bit sad, but happy all the same. “Well, least they’re together.”
The two detectives halted when they saw the two. “What the?”
“What is she doing? That guy’s a threat! He might hurt her!” the man cried, starting towards the door.
The woman caught him by the arm, shaking her head. “No, leave them be. He isn’t going to harm her.”
“But-”
“No!” the woman said sternly. “Come on, we need to file a case against Dagger. The forensics just came in. He did rape her.”
“Oh! Alright then. Hey kid, what are you doing here?”
“Who me? Oh, I uh, I’m with Valeri and her friend.” Skylar replied.
“Oh, I see.” the man said as he walked away.
Skylar returned to looking at the two, who had pulled away.
Beelzemon walked out of the room, Valeri in his arms. “Sky, could ya take us back ta the hospital?”
“Sure!” Skylar replied happily.
“So, you aren’t mad?”
“Huh? No! Not at all! You two deserve each other. I can always find someone else.”
Beelzemon sighed with relief. “That’s good. Come on, let’s git goin’. Val’s falling asleep on us.”
“Follow me, my car’s outside.”
At the hospital, Valeri was put back in her bed while the doctor and a nurse attended to her. Beelzemon stayed with Valeri while Skylar went back to the college so he could attend his classes for that day. Ms. Shinshiju and Yuri came by for a visit.
“So, how are you, honey?” her mother asked as she sat down in a chair beside the bed.
“I’m Ok. It’s not so bad, now.” She smiled up at Beelzemon.
“Well that’s good.”
“When do we go home?” Yuri whined. “I have a date with Xian in an hour.”
“Be quiet! I don’t want to hear about your date!” Ms. Shinshiju snapped, glaring at her oldest daughter. “Your sister is more important than your damn date!”
Yuri blinked in surprise then frowned and looked away, grumbling under her breath.
Beelzemon chuckled. “Your mom’s a bit agitated, doncha think?” he asked Valeri.
Valeri smiled and giggled then winced. “Yeah. She gets that way sometimes.” She stifled a cough.
“You Ok?”
Valeri nodded, but continued to cough hoarsely, making her body shake. Beelzemon rubbed on her back until she finished.
“It’s Ok, Beelzemon. A person with Influenza coughs like that.” Ms. Shinshiju explained.
“Oh. I’ve never been sick before, so….” Beelzemon shrugged.
“I see.”
Valeri leaned against Beelzemon, her eyes drooping. “I’m going to sleep,” she muttered. “Night.”
“What did she say?” Ms. Shinshiju asked.
“She’s going to sleep.” Beelzemon explained, looking over at Valeri’s mother.
“Oh, then we’d better leave so she can. Come on Yuri!”
“Yes! Finally! Bye, Beelzemon!” Yuri said as she hurried out of the room, her mother trailing behind her, shaking her head.
Beelzemon sighed and rolled his eyes. “You have a weird sister, Val.”
“Yeah, I know….”
Beelzemon slipped his arm across Valeri’s back, pulling her closer. “Sleep now.”
Valeri sighed and slipped into slumber.

Several days later Valeri was sitting at the witness stand in the court. The trial had been going on for two days with other witnesses like Dagger and now it was Valeri’s turn to be questioned since she felt better.
Unfortunately, Valeri never liked being the center of attention and the questions were rather upsetting her.
Beelzemon was watching her from the back of the courtroom while her family sat on the bench behind the left front table, his anger growing at the attorney questioning Valeri.
Michael and his family sat on the bench behind Dagger and his lawyer, who were sitting at the other front table while they watched.
“So, Valeri. Can you tell us exactly what happened?”
“D-do I have to?” Valeri asked quietly.
“Please answer his question,” the judge said to Valeri. “It’s alright.”
“Ok,” Valeri took a deep breath and let it out slowly, looking up. “Well, I went to the park to take a walk….” As Valeri continued, Beelzemon saw that she was becoming more and more distressed, wringing out her shirt nervously. This isn’t right. They’re really upsetting her with this. I’m gonna haveta interrupt or she’s gonna break. My poor darlin’, this is my fault.
“…Dagger came up behind me and grabbed me…he wrestled me down and….” Valeri bit her shirtsleeve, tears trickling down her cheeks. She shut her eyes.
“Come on, please finish.”
Valeri shook her head. “No, please…I don’t want to.”
“Please finish, Valeri,” the judge urged.
Valeri shook her head and buried her face in her sleeves to hide her tears.
That was the finally straw for Beelzemon. “That’s enough!” he said as he walked to the front.
“Excuse me sir, please sit down!”
“No! Yer upsettin’ her, leave her alone!”
“That’s quite enough! The judge said to sit down, now!” a police officer said as he stepped in the way of Beelzemon, his gun drawn.
Beelzemon stopped. He bared his fangs at the officer. “And what do ya think yer gonna do about it?”
“Don’t make me shoot you!”
Beelzemon snorted. “Hehe. That’s stupid. Let’s see if ya like this!” He drew his gun and fired.
Everyone jumped and screamed at the gunshot except for Dagger, who merely crossed his arms and smirked.
The officer gasped as his gun flew from his hand.
Beelzemon caught the gun in mid-air, crushing it in his hand and tossing it away as he put up his own gun. He walked over to Valeri, putting a hand on her shoulder. “Valeri? Val you alright?”
Valeri looked up at him. “Beelzemon? What did you do?”
“I just scared ‘em a bit. It’s Ok.”
Valeri threw her arms around his middle, pressing her face in his stomach. “I don’t want to do this.”
Beelzemon stroked her hair soothingly, putting one arm around her shoulders. “I know. They aren’t gonna mess with ya anymore. Alright?”
“Thank you.”
Beelzemon hugged her, pressing his face in her hair. “Everything’s gonna be alright, love.”
Everyone was watching the two with surprise, except for Dagger, who shook his head in disgust. “Well ain’t that cute? Can’t stick up for yourself, Val? Gotta have your boyfriend do it for you? That’s just pathetic. You’re a stupid, wretched creature.”
“Shut up!” Beelzemon snarled, turning to face Dagger. He pointed a warning claw at him. “You stupid little twerp! You’d better stop right now!”
“Or what? You’re gonna shoot me? Ohhh, I’m soo scared! You’re supposed to be a Viral Digimon, meant to kill without remorse and cause pain. Yeah right! You couldn’t kill a fly!” Dagger burst out laughing.
Beelzemon took a step towards Dagger, seething with anger that made his whole body shake. His eyes lit up with hatred. “You! You little bastard! Damn you! I should have killed you in the first place! Now I really will!” He hurled himself at Dagger, whose eyes widened in surprise.
“Ahh!” Dagger screamed as Beelzemon landed on the table, breaking it as he attempted to grab his throat.
“Beelzemon, no!” Valeri cried, jumping to her feet and rushing over to them. “Please stop! Don’t kill him.”
“This time, I ain’t gonna listen, Val. Sorry, but he deserves it!” Beelzemon grunted as he shook Dagger violently. “Ya stupid little bastard! You think it’s fun ta hurt people? I found out it’s not quite as much fun as hurtin’ scum like ya who pick on the weak and defenseless.”
Valeri covered her mouth with her hands. “Oh my God!”
“Someone stop him, now!” the judge cried.
Another police officer ran up, pulling out his gun.
“No!” Valeri screamed.
The police officer fired. Beelzemon screamed and fell as the bullet struck him in the shoulder. Dagger sat up, rubbing his throat and coughing.
“Beelzemon!” Valeri rushed to his side. “Are you alright?” She pulled him up by his arm, wrapping her arms around him.
Beelzemon clutched his injured shoulder. “Yeah, that hurt!” He pulled the bullet from his wound and threw it at the officer who had shot him.
The officer took a step back so that the bullet fell at his feet. “My God!”
Why don’t we just leave?” Beelzemon suggested.
“Yeah.” Valeri said, wiping the blood trickling from his wound with her wet shirtsleeve.
Beelzemon glared down at Dagger, who was getting to his feet. “You were lucky.”
“Huh, as if!”
Beelzemon clenched his fist. “Don’t push it. Or I will blow your head off!”
“Come on!” Valeri urged, tugging on his arm.
“Yeah. I’m comin’.”
“Wait, you can’t leave! Court hasn’t been dismissed yet!” the judge cried, standing up.
“Guess what? Court dismissed. Now leave us the hell alone.” Beelzemon said over his shoulder as they walked towards the entrance.
Ms. Shinshiju and Michael stood up and followed them. Beelzemon and Valeri paused outside and sat down on the front steps.
“How’s your shoulder?”
“It’s fine.” Beelzemon said, putting his arm around her shoulders.
“You really shouldn’t have attacked Dagger like that, sweetheart.”
“I know, I know. But he still deserves what he got.”
Valeri put her arms around his middle, resting her head against his arm. “I actually have to agree with you just a bit. But you still have to control your temper.”
Ms. Shinshiju put her arm around Michael’s shoulder. “Come on, sweetie. Let’s go back inside. Your mom’s waiting for you.”
“Uh-huh, Ok.” Michael watched the two over his shoulder as they walked back inside. His jaw clenched and he looked away when he saw Beelzemon kiss Valeri on the cheek. Stupid creature! He doesn’t deserve her.
After a while later, Ms. Shinshiju drove Valeri back to the college dorm building, making sure to take Beelzemon home with her, much to his irritation. He ended up sneaking back to the college after telling Ms. Shinshiju he was going out for a walk.
Valeri was surprised when she answered the door to see Beelzemon in the doorway. “Beelzemon? But I thought you went home with Mom.”
“I did. But only ‘cause yer mom made me, so I’m back here. I wanna stay with you, to make up for before.”
“Oh, alright.”
“Um, I was wondering. You remember that bath I didn’t get ta finish?”
Valeri smiled. “Yes. You want me to start one?”
“No, I can do it myself. I know ya need ta work on your homework.”
“Yeah, hehe…” Valeri turned to look at the books piled on her desk. She looked back at Beelzemon. “You aren’t kidding. Well, I’ll be in there when you’re ready, alright?”
“Yup.” Beelzemon said as he walked towards the bathroom.
“Oh, I forgot to mention. Natasha is coming by to help with my homework.”
“Fine. Not as if I care. I’ll be in the bathroom.” He closed the door.
Valeri sat down and continued with her work, listening to the running water.
Five minutes later, there was a knock at the door.
“Come in!” Valeri called.
Natasha walked in. She was wearing a light blue t-shirt with a butterfly on it and denim pants with her tennis shoes. “Hey! I’m here to help, Val. Hey, what’s that noise? You starting bath water?”
“Actually no. That would be Beelzemon. He is though.” Valeri explained.
“Ooooh! He is?” Natasha giggled. She eyed Valeri curiously. “You wouldn’t be joining him?”
Valeri blushed deeply, stammering her reply. “What? N-no! I-I-I’m just going to…to…do my homework and…err….”
Natasha giggled into her hands. “You get embarrassed easily.”
Valeri dropped her gaze. “Yeah, I know.”
“Val!” Beelzemon called.
“Yes, honey?”
“Come ‘ere, please!”
Valeri sighed happily. She smiled at Natasha. “I’ll be right back,” She walked into the bathroom, shutting the door behind her. “Yes?” she asked Beelzemon, who was sitting up to the top of his stomach in foamy, steaming water.
“Can I have my massage now?”
“Of course.” Valeri walked over and sat on the edge of the bathtub. She picked up the washcloth and, after wetting it in the foamy water, began gently rubbing his back.
Beelzemon sighed pleasurably and leaned forward slightly. “Ahh, man that feels nice.”
Valeri smiled. She leaned down and kissed his shoulder. Beelzemon turned his head, planting a kiss on her cheek before she could pull her head away. Valeri draped one arm over his shoulder and wrapped the other across his chest, clasping her hands together as she returned the kiss lovingly.
Natasha was busy playing a game on Valeri’s laptop when she walked in. “Hey, Val. You sure took awhile. Wanna start on your homework now?” she said as she looked up at Valeri.
Valeri sighed. “Yeah, sure.” She sat down at her desk after Natasha stood up.
The two worked on Valeri’s homework as they conversed.
“So, you goin’ back to classes tomorrow?”
“No. I’ll go back the day after tomorrow, that way I can finish all this work.”
“Smart idea. I’m really glad that you’re alright and back with your boyfriend.”
“I am too. His heart is in the right place, but he has a temper and wild spirit. Even so, I still love him.”
“You deserve all that he gives you, all the good I mean. You know.”
Valeri smiled. “Thank you, Natasha. I don’t think I could have found a better friend than you.”
Natasha put her arms around Valeri’s shoulders, giving her a gentle hug. “Oh, thank you Valeri! That means so much to me.”
Valeri returned the hug. “You’re welcome.”