Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Black Angel ❯ The Stranger ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
This fic is set during the reign of the Digimon Emperor. This story does not mention the Digimon Emperor, nor any of the new Digi-destined, only the old ones. Although they may show up later in the series. Oh, one last note. I don't own any digimon, yaddah yaddah ya, you guys know the drill.






Episode One



The walls of this school were painfully familiar to him. He smiled and nodded at what Tai was saying, but he didn't hear a word of it. If he was going through with his plan, this would be the last time he would see this school. He went to his locker and opened it. The walls were cool to his touch. He saw the sea of faces swim around him. He smiled and nodded at those who greeted him. His calm exterior seemed to deepen his depression. These people have no idea what I am going through. He thought. His band had broken up, all of them leaving him. His best friend was the digimon Gabumon, and he was gone. He wished he could just go to the digital world and stay there, but he had no way of getting there. If he asked his brother to take him, TK would ask too many questions. The only way out was to put a gun to his head. He wouldn't have to settle any damn score, wouldn't have people asking him if he was all right. He would be gone, and everybody would be happy. Matt smiled inwardly. I might have even had a career as an actor. I hide my feelings so well that my own brother can't see what I'm going through. The other Digi-destined have no idea that I am unhappy in any way. The bell rang. He started for his class. Then, he saw him. A black clad teenager, the same age as him. No, it couldn't be. Matt thought. He is gone. He wouldn't come back after all these years. Matt shook his head, and looked again. He was gone. Matt could not think about anything else except for that all day. He was in a daze, making it look like he was stoned. It was during their break in the afternoon that Tai got to talk with him again.
"So, as I was saying, do you think.....Matt? Are you okay?" Tai asked. Matt shook his head and nodded.
"Yeah, I'm fine. Weren't you saying that the Digi-destined were meeting in the lab after school?" Matt asked. It was Tai's turn to nod. "I'll be there." Matt said and walked off. Tai watched him walk off and shook his head.
After school, Tai walked into the lab. "Where's Matt?"
"We thought he was going to be with you. Did you tell him?" Sora asked.
"I told him, but he was acting strangely." Tai answered. Then, the door opened behind them. "So there you are, I was-" Tai didn't finish. It wasn't Matt, but a teenager clad in all black with a black trenchcoat.
"I will make this short. Digi-destined, you are in danger and I was sent to protect you. By what or whom, I cannot tell. All I can say is this, I will be near you during school. You have to trust me. Your lives depend upon it."
"I'd say that is pretty short and to the point." Joe said.
"I can't make any decisions, since one of the Digi-destined is gone, whoever you are." Tai said, both cursing and blessing Matt for being late.
"Yes, I know. And you may call me Snyper." Snyper said as Matt walked in. He froze at the sight of Snyper. Snyper sensed his presence behind him. "A long time Hunter." He said in a neutral voice, without looking behind him.
"Yes, a long time indeed. And my name is Matt." Matt replied, his voice as neutral as Snyper's. A volcano of emotion erupted in Matt's stomach. What was he doing here?
"Matt, where do you know this guy from?" Tai asked.
"I assume you are still going under Snyper?" Matt asked, ignoring Tai.
"Correct. What ever happened to Hunter?"
"Hunter's long gone. As are his instincts. In his place is Matt."
"A pity. Hunter was the best man besides me."
"Matt, who is this guy?" Sora asked urgently.
"A friend from long ago. Long ago."
Tai laughed. "You make it sound like you're fifty years old."
"It all depends on how you look at it." Matt said in all seriousness.
"You never told me why you left." Snyper accused him.
"I had a life back here. That may be something you cannot comprehend." Matt spat.
"We all had a life back here, but you had a life there too. And you had friends."
"Friends that died daily. I couldn't take it."
"Do you think it was easier on any one of us?" Snyper retorted in a voice as loud as Matt's.
"Yes. You didn't have anyone back here to think about. I had a family and a little brother." Matt answered vehemently.
"All of whom are in danger now."
"There always was a danger, now wasn't there?" Matt asked. The others looked at him strangely. This wasn't the same Matt that had helped save the digital world.
"Yes Matt, there was. But I am here to protect the Digi-destined."
"From what? Our old enemies?" Matt asked, half of him not caring. But the other half of him screaming at his not caring half, telling it to do something.
"No. The digital world is bigger then you think. And there is a different digital world. One that is a mix between yours and my world." Snyper said.
"And what world would that be?" Tai asked.
"Ask Matt, he was there. Watch your backs." He said over his shoulder as he walked out. Matt stood stock-still.
"What was that all about?" Tai asked coming up behind Matt.
"Have everybody gather at my house tonight." He said and walked off. Why had he come back after all these years? Who could be threatening his brother? Matt didn't know. He had no idea if Snyper's appearing here was caused by Matt's plan to kill himself. He lay on his bed until nightfall, which is when the others came over. He sighed. He hadn't told anyone this story. He had wanted to keep it to himself. He took a deep breath to calm himself, then began the story. "About a month before we went into the digital world, I was having strange dreams. It was about wars. Then I started hearing and seeing strange things. I saw tanks, men in uniform running through a mall with guns. Then there were explosions. I started hearing gunshots and explosions. Then I heard people talking. I had no idea where it was coming from. A few days later, I met up with Snyper. His real name is Bret Ferguson. He had been going through the same thing. Then, when we were walking through a mall, we were transported to another world. The transportation was much like what we went through in going to the digital world. When we got up, we were in the middle of a training camp. To make a long story short, we trained to fight a war, and did so. After nearly fifteen years of fighting we won. But what was strange about the fifteen years was that we did not age a day. But we had lost many friends. Then the news came that somebody had found a portal back to our world. But the commander said he still needed us, though we could go at any time. I stayed for about half a year. But I couldn't take losing friends anymore, so I left. I was known as Hunter there. And now, after all these years, Snyper has showed up again." Matt said, holding his head in his hands.
"Do you think we should trust him?" Tai asked.
"Damn yes. Of course we should trust him. I would give my life into his hands. We alternated saving each other in that world. He was one of the most faithful and devious people I had ever known. Always a back door, always a way out. I would follow him into a cannon, and did on several accounts." Matt gave a laugh and shook his head. "Of course, I had my own death missions that I dragged him along with. The point is, we should trust him."
"Does everybody agree?" Tai asked. He looked at all the nodding heads. "We'll meet after school again. Snyper will probably be there." They all nodded again. With that, they split up and went to their own houses. The next day at school, Tai looked for Snyper, but he didn't see him. In class, Tai looked over at Matt and saw him still in a daze. He tried to get him out of it, but to no avail. Matt was still amazed at why Snyper would be here. But one thing was for sure, Snyper didn't need him. He made a new plan. He was going to go to the lab early, and kill himself there. He wasn't sure why he decided that, but he did. It was a strange feeling, walking down the hall, knowing this was the last time he would see any of this crap. It was surreal, as if he was looking through somebody else's eyes. He walked into the computer room and walked straight to one desk. He opened the drawer and put the gun to his head.
"What are you doing?" A voice asked. Unbeknownst to Matt, the other Digi-destined arrived at the door. Tai heard voices inside. He turned to the others and motioned for quiet. All of the Destined strained to hear the words.
Matt looked toward the window. Snyper was there, not at all looking like he did before. He was crouching on the windowsill, compassion plainly showing in his every feature.
"Are you going to stop me?" Matt asked.
"No, I am only going to tell you a few things."
"Dammit, such as what?" Matt asked, feeling angry that Snyper had interrupted his suicide.
"Such as what will happen when you pull that trigger. Such as how your parents will feel when they get a phone call from one of your friends or the hospital."
"I don't have any friends." Matt almost screamed. "They don't need me." He whispered.
"No, they don't. But what will I say, when TK needs a big brother to cry on, or needs a big brother to give him advice, or needs a big brother to help him through something. What are you going to do? You aren't going to do anything, because you will be dead. I cannot take your place as a big brother. Nobody can. And what about when your parents need a strong son to be an example? And what about when Sora needs a friend?" Matt dropped his mouth at this last statement, as outside Sora blushed. "Yes Matt, she loves you. You know I am a good judge of character, and, as you once put it, 'an almost mind reader'. I know many things. I saw in your eyes yesterday morning what you planned to do. I knew that you were going to do it quickly, so I had to move quicker. So what are you going to do when Sora needs a friend? And what are you going to do when Tai needs to be argued with? What are you going to do Matt? But sorry, I am talking to the wrong person. You'll be dead. Or will you?" Snyper asked as he jumped off of the windowsill and walked toward Matt.
"TK doesn't need me anymore, and neither does Sora. She doesn't love me." He said.
"Are you trying to convince me, or are you trying to convince yourself? Why not ask them when they come in?" Snyper asked, throwing a knowing glance at the door.
"No, I don't want them to see this." Matt said dejectedly.
"Do you want to know that the last image TK will have of his brother of his big brother is lying face down in a pool of blood?" Snyper asked.
"No, I guess not. Did you want the pistol?"
"No, you keep it, you may need it soon. The enemy is moving much faster."
"Just full of joy and sunshine aren't you?" Matt asked as he put the pistol in his jacket.
"I'll see if the others are coming." Snyper said. Matt nodded, turning to look out the window. Snyper walked out and closed the door behind him. He looked at the faces gathered around him. "Now, not a word about what just took place. Nothing. Not even from you or Sora." He said, looking directly at TK. He nodded reluctantly. Snyper seemed satisfied and opened the door for them. Matt glanced back and hid his feelings, once again.
"I told Snyper that we would trust him." Matt simply said. It hurt Sora and TK to see him like this. Now that they knew what to look for, they could see it.
"There is nothing more to do or say. I will be around." Snyper said as he jumped out the window. Matt started after him, then turned.
"If that is it then." He said and left. Tai looked dumbly after him. Sora and TK started crying. It hurt TK even more when Matt and him hung out, and Matt still hid his feelings and acted as if nothing was wrong. The next day, Matt was still in a kind of daze. Tai glanced over at his friend and shook his head. The teacher looked at the door and saw a policeman. The policeman whispered to her and she nodded. Tai saw his tag say he was Kimua.
"Yamato and Taichi, please stand up." The teacher said. They did so. Before anyone could blink, a black streak crashed through the window. Kimua pulled his pistol. The figure came out of a roll with two pistols in his hands.
"You don't move, I don't move." Snyper said to Kimua. The policeman looked unsure for a moment, then swung his gun to Matt. Snyper fired one shot from each pistol, hitting Kimua squarely in the chest. But he wasn't fast enough to shoot before Kimua already had. Kimua fell, the blood already flowing down his uniform. Kimua's bullets only hit wood, since Matt had jumped from his seat. Snyper calmly put his pistols back in and beckoned for Matt and Tai to follow him. They did so, even though this time, Tai and everyone else was in a daze while Matt's senses were on full. Matt had his pistol out and ready.
"Izzy is in that room." Matt said. Snyper nodded. He walked up to the door and opened it. Matt and Tai stayed out of sight.
"Izzy, come with me." Snyper said in a commanding voice.
"Why?" The teacher demanded.
"A very close friend of his was hurt." Snyper replied as he closed the door behind Izzy. "Almost." He said with a smile. "Where are the girls?" He asked.
"I think that they are in those two rooms." Tai said. Snyper took the lead, with Matt in back. A sound alerted Matt to a presence coming up behind him. He twirled and aimed his gun. The policeman went for his gun, but Matt shot three times, hitting him twice. The man sank to his knees, then fell on his face. Blood started to form a pool.
"Well shoot, that let the cat out of the bag, wouldn't you say?" Snyper asked calmly. "Matt, Tai, get the girls. Me and Izzy will look for Joe." Snyper said as they split up. Matt merely kicked the door in and called for Mimi. Tai was a little more tactful. He looked into the window and waved for Sora. She came out on some excuse. Snyper met the others with Joe and Izzy.
"Where are Kari and T.K.?" Joe asked. Matt and Snyper looked at each other and headed off. When the other Digi-Destined found them,Snyper and Matt were crouched in front of a door. Snyper carefully peeked through the window.
"I count eight guys. There are two on either side of the teacher, two among the kids, and four on the back wall. The four on the back wall have machine guns. I can get the four that are in the middle of the classroom, but those at the end would get me." Snyper reported to Matt as the rest snuck up.
"I'll get those from the window. If you hit any of those kids Snyper." Matt warned.
"I will give you my gun to shoot me. But I never miss." Snyper replied.
"Give me a two count of five." Matt said as he started to go off.
"Hunter, I mean, Matt, this would be more appropriate." Snyper said, handing Matt an MP-5 machine gun he had pulled out from under his trenchcoat. Matt took it and walked off.
"Do you have a whole armory under there?" Tai asked, pointing to his trenchcoat.
"Would be helpful, wouldn't it?" Snyper replied as he started to count to ten. "Back away." He ordered the others as he got to seven. Right at ten, he kicked the door in and pulled his pistols. He went down on one knee and fired at the four. At the same moment, Matt appeared through the window and fired at the four that were in the back. Soon eight dead men with blood on their uniform lay in the classroom. "T.K., Kari, come on." He said, waving to them. But they were too stunned to move. Snyper had to go grab them. They met up with Matt on the outside as they heard sirens in the distance. "Come on, those are the real guys. And I never shoot policemen without a good reason." Snyper said as he ushered them toward a waiting van. The cops pulled up as the van pulled away.
"Just where are we going?" Tai asked, still a little stunned at what the two young warriors had done. Snyper looked at Matt.
"We are going to a New World." Matt replied as the van headed towards his house.



And there we have the first installment. Please review. It would encourage me to get the other parts out faster.