Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Black Angel ❯ The New World ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode Two


Tai looked up at the sunny blue sky. Sora looked around the New World with interest. There were Digimon running around, but there were also regular animals, such as horses and dogs. The former was in a corral, four of them to be precise. Their digimon had actually been waiting for them. Except for Gabumon. Agumon related the story.
"One day, we woke up to find the sky red. Nothing like it had ever happened. Then, there was so much shaking, I thought the sky was going to fall down. As near as I can figure, all of the Digimon everywhere blacked out. When we awoke, we found that parts had been added to the Digital World. It hadn't deleted parts, it just added to them. Most of the digimon stayed away from the new parts, but some mingled with the humans there. Gabumon decided to go into one of the towns to see if the people there knew what happened. They captured him, and no one has seen him since. I had no idea what to do. I'm glad you are here." Agumon told his human counterpart.
"So am I, Agumon."
"Why is it sunny here, when it is near Christmas in the real world?" TK asked.
"I have no idea TK. Sorry, but we could only get four horses." Snyper apologized.
"Who is we?" Tai asked suspiciously.
"My team and I."
"Anybody I know?" Matt asked as he rubbed one of the horses.
"I don't believe so. But you will see my team soon enough. Anyway, what I propose is this. We double up on the horses, while one of the Digimon digi-volves and carries the other Digimon on it."
"Sorry to burst your plan Snyper, but I can't ride horses." Joe informed him, more then a little afraid. Snyper looked toward the forest to hide his smile. It was going perfectly, now, next person to speak would be-
"Sorry Snyper, but I do not want to ride a horse either." Izzy said.
"Alright, then you and the digimon could ride on Kabuterimon. Oh, and here's a little program for you computer. Helps identify animals you may not be familiar with, and it has a ID program, so if someone walks up to you, your laptop will automatically pull up that person's data." Snyper said, handing the red-haired boy a disc.
"Sounds reasonable." Izzy replied as he accepted the disc.
"All right then, Sora rides with Matt, Mimi rides with Tai, and Kari rides with TK." Snyper answered as he swung his leg over his horse and climbed on. "Any objections?" He asked, already knowing the answer.
"No, let's get going." TK answered for them all. Snyper nodded and gave Matt a friendly glance. Matt's glance back was anything but friendly. He knew what Snyper had done. He was still playing matchmaker, pairing Matt with Sora. They all galloped away, with Kabuterimon buzzing above.
"We have to be back before nightfall, or our parents will be worried." Mimi told Snyper.
"Not to worry Mimi. This world is like the old Digimon world. We could spend a year here, and only a day would pass there. But we will be back before a year." He reassured her. She nodded.
"Where exactly are we headed?" Sora asked.
"A city, should be around ten miles away from here."
"See anything up there Izzy?" Tai asked.
"I think I see a city in the distance. That is what it looks like at least." Izzy related to the others. Snyper smiled and nodded. Matt brought his horse up to Snyper.
"Care to tell me why we are in danger?" Matt ordered more then asked.
"A few years after you left, the Imps rose up again with a new leader. Guy by the name of Zerec Dod led them. Earned the nickname Wolf from his appetite for cruelty. He was once a member of the Republic before they dishonorably discharged him for interrogating some Imps in a rather, questionable manner. Well, the Imperials weren't so choosy, so they chose him. We defeated them around seven months ago, but near to three they came back. This time they had digimon, although none of us knew what they were. They just looked like animals. After a whole lot of spying we found out where they came from and what they were capable of. Don't know who the leader of the digimon is, but you would probably know that better then any of us. So, we fought back as best we could, and some digimon even helped us. Well, we found out through our spies that the head Digimon guys were worried about something. It was the Digi-destined. I was sent to protect you and bring you back to help us."
"I see. And I think I know how many parts you left out, and it still was long. But don't ever show up like that again." The blonde-haired boy ordered the other one.
"On my affidavit." Snyper promised with a smile.
They rode for several hours, then took a rest. The group of nine arrived before nightfall. Right when they entered the city, Matt and Snyper could feel something was wrong. Kabuterimon landed and the Digimon got off. There were cars that lined the street. Some had even smashed into other ones or into buildings. Everywhere you looked, you could see evidence that the people had been here, and that they dropped everything and ran.
"Where is everyone?" Sora asked, her whispers tickling Matt's ear.
"It's deserted." Snyper thought aloud in a voice that resounded off all the buildings.
"Something must have scared them all." Tai reasoned, trying to sound logical.
"No good there Tai. There is no evidence of haste. I think seven thousand people would have left some evidence." Snyper blew his theory.
"Look in at the restaurants. Food is set out, but not one drop of any liquid is on the carpet. I bet if we went into the kitchens we would find pots still on the burner. Look in the cars, Tai. Tell me if you see anything strange." Matt ordered. Tai looked in, along with the others. Most of them had no idea what they were looking for. But Tai did.
"The seatbelts, they're buckled." He whispered.
"What can we assume from this?" Snyper asked.
"That they were taken wherever they stood. Whatever they were doing, they disappeared." Sora gasped.
"I hope that team of yours can help us figure this out." Matt said.
"Dammit Matt, they were supposed to be here. Seven thousand people just can't disappear. Izzy, if I got you to a computer connection, would you be able to see if there are any life signs?"
"Theoretically, yes. But, if I were to calculate in the time that Machinedramon tracked us because my computer was linked to his network, I would be highly skeptical to try again." Izzy answered.
"I just wanted a straight yes or no answer. Theoretically, you answered yes. Follow me. Tie the horses to the parking meters." Snyper ordered as he walked into a building. The others followed. They entered an elevator and Snyper hit the fourth floor. Matt and Snyper both pulled their weapons out. The door opened, and Snyper was the first one out. He and Matt quickly cleared the floor. They were in a large office building. Izzy went up to one of the computers and unplugged it, plugging his own in. He quickly brought up a map of the city. He started typing again. Then, red dots appeared.
"I'm not picking up any other life forms besides us and our horses and Digimon." Izzy informed them. At that moment, a blinding light appeared outside the window. It was so intense, that you had to cover your eyes with your arms, even when you were facing the opposite direction. When it was gone, Matt rushed to the window. Izzy dropped his arms and looked at his computer, mouth open.
"Oh great, just great." Izzy said, shaking his head. "You're not going to like this Snyper." Matt and Izzy said together.
"What is it?" He asked.
"Notice a certain four red dots missing?" Izzy asked.
"Oh shi-" he glanced at the girls, "shoot no." He ran to the window. The horses were gone, but their bridles were there, still tied to the parking meters. He turned and pointed at Izzy. "Quickly Izzy, theorize. Could that thing, whatever it is, cut its way into here?" Snyper asked urgently.
"Most definitely." He replied after a few seconds of special thought.
"We are moving people. Quick, everybody into the elevator. When we get to the lobby run out the door and straight back the way we came. When I mean run, I mean run, don't wait for anybody. I'll be in the back, making sure everyone stays ahead. We are about to hit the lobby." He said as the elevator was descending. A pinging sound signaled that they were there. "GO! GO! GO!" Snyper yelled. They ran at top speed, trying to get out of the city as fast as possible. Then, it happened. A bright light appeared, centering on TK. Matt yelled and ran for him, knocked his kid brother out of the way. Snyper ran for Matt, trying to grab him before he disappeared. His hand was caught in the light. Then it was gone. The light, Matt, and Snyper's right hand. It only showed a bloody stump, where a hand should, and used to, be. Snyper held it up in horror. Then the pain hit. He fell to his knees and yelled for them to run on. They did so, but only after they had gotten him up. Safely outside the city, millions of thoughts passed through each one of them.
Where did Matt go? Did he have to save me like that? I wonder if that light can reach us outside the city? What are we going to do now? It must hurt like hell to have your hand cut off like that. What are we going to do with one crippled man and seven thousand and one people missing, and four horses?