Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Black Angel ❯ The Trade ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode Three




Matt awoke to a sharp pain in his back. He realized that it was a whip. He shivered involuntarily, then realized he didn't have a shirt on. His arms were tied to either side of the wall. It seemed this certain place, in the middle of the room, was designed for that.
"So glad you are awake. It is so dull torturing an unconscious prisoner." A voice called out from behind him. Matt tried to look behind him, trying to get a look at him, but he couldn't.
"Who are you?" He asked.
"Some call me a traitor. But my enemies call me Zerec." The man said as he stepped in front of Matt. Matt could not hide his surprise. "That's right, I'm not a digimon, but a person, just like you and Snyper. Some call me Wolf because of my appetite for cruelty. But I don't think I am cruel. But, if Snyper was here." He announced forcefully, leaving the threat unsaid. Matt nodded his understanding.
"So, you're after Snyper?"
"That is correct. I wanted to get one of the young ones, so he would have a great incentive to come. But, you will do, since you two used to be partners. I also got some satisfaction in maiming Snyper. Oh, it was nothing I did, I assure you." Zerec replied at Matt's venomous glance. "Perhaps Snyper was running toward you and the light?" Matt remembered. "Well, he must have gotten his hand in it, because here it is." Zerec told him cruelly and held up a bloodied hand. It still had part of Snyper's trenchcoat sleeve on it. "Now, that is something to take pride in. Maiming the great Snyper, now isn't it? Perhaps now I would like to meet him face to face."
"He would still kill you." Matt spat, still having much of his old spark left.
"A man would be no match for me, much less a one-handed boy."
"He would still kill you." Zerec turned and flashed his whip, quickly making a bloodied mark on Matt's exposed chest. Matt winced, but did nothing more. He could feel the blood pouring down. He was cut in at least a dozen other places.
"Do not make me angry, Yamato Ishida. It would be most unwise." He seethed.
"Not as unwise as making me angry." Matt replied with fire in his eyes. Zerec backed up a few paces, then turned and flashed his whip again. This time, blood started flowing from his chin to his cheek.
"I will be back many times, to continue our little talks. Meanwhile your friends will be making their way into my trap. Sounds a bit melodramatic, doesn't it? Unfortunately, you do not escape and warn them to go back." He said as he walked out. Matt slumped down, exhausted. Zerec closed the door behind him.
"This is getting us nowhere." A voice hissed behind him.
"Be patient Venomon. The Digi-destined will arrive soon enough. But when they do, I want the one called Snyper." Venomon spat at Zerec's words.
"That is fine. He is not a Digi-destined, so he does not concern me. Just make sure they do make it here."
"They will. And I will give them a special incentive to come." Zerec replied.




Morning dawned five days later, and found seven young people sleeping. The eighth was keeping watch, holding the stump where his hand should have been. He glanced back at the seven and their Digimon. He had a lot to do. He couldn't let his injury interfere with his jobs. He walked over and woke them up. He had already made breakfast. The others ate it up fast. Without waiting, Snyper started to march. Tai nodded and the others followed him. They walked nonstop until the afternoon, when even Tai was getting tired.
"Snyper, wait! We need to rest." Tai gasped.
"You can rest. Catch up with me later." He replied over his shoulder and continued. They stopped and Sora started to fix lunch.
"Do you think we'll find Matt?" Asked TK. Tai was about to say, 'of course we are, don't worry', until he looked over at TK. He was no longer the little one. He was growing up, he was nothing like Matt, which is not surprising. But he was growing up.
"We'll try to TK, we will try to." Tai replied.
"Besides, if anyone can find him, it will be Snyper." Izzy theorized, looking at his computer.
"Maybe so, but I'm worried about him." Kari said.
"How so sis?" Tai asked.
"Well, he is just a kid like us. But he has been through so much. He says he was sent to protect us, but I don't know."
"What, you mean you don't trust him?" Gatomon asked.
"It's not that, it's just that he seems so alone and distant. Like Matt. But Matt has TK. I don't know if Snyper has anybody. How can he protect us when he has nothing to live for?" Kari asked. Tai saw her point. "And now, he doesn't have his best hand. Would you care about anything if it all happened to you?" Kari asked. This time, everybody saw her point. After lunch, they started off again, looking for any and all signs of Snyper. Nightfall started and they still hadn't found him. Then, they heard an instrument playing. Not a harmonica, but a flute playing a sad, slow song. They followed it to its source. Snyper was beside the fire, playing a wood flute one-handed. He took it out of his mouth and looked at it.
"Much easier to do when you have two hands." He commented. Tai looked behind him as something made a sound. Kari had a teardrop running down her cheek. Sora and Mimi looked like they were about to cry. "Please, sit down. Dinner should be ready soon enough. Hope you like rabbit stew, because that is what I am making." He settled back against the tree and closed his eyes. Soon enough the stew was hot enough to eat. They found makeshift bowls. Kari approached Snyper with one. Snyper still had his eyes closed. Kari put the broth down and touched his arm.
"Snyper, dinner is ready." She told him gently.
"There will not be enough for all of you if I have some." He replied with a wave of his hand.
"But you need to eat. Especially after that forced march you gave yourself."
"That was nothing. I could've gone longer, but I waited for you. You and your Digimon need it more then I do."
"But you are going to have some." Kari ordered insistently. Snyper opened his eyes and smiled at Kari. That sweet face still has some innocence left in it. He thought.
"I already had my dinner." Snyper replied, trying a different approach.
"What did you have?" She asked, not believing him.
"I did not have this." He answered as he closed his eyes again.
"Are you going to eat this, or will I force feed you." Kari asked. Snyper laughed. It was a genuine laugh. Then the smile faded on his lips. He looked up at Kari with something between amazement and thoughtful look on his face.
"It's a long time since I did that." He said. "A long time. The last time was with my friends. Now, I guess that they are all gone. Except for Matt. My other friends were supposed to be in that city." Kari sat down beside him.
"I'm sure they are all right." She assured him.
"No, they are not. I have seen more killing then hundred years worth in the real world. I hope you do not see half of what I have seen, Kari. I hope."
"So do I. But are you going to have this, or do I pour it down your throat?" She asked. Snyper laughed again.
"I'll take it." He said and looked over at Tai with a smile on his face. Tai smiled back and gave a wink that meant, 'that's my sister'. Kari got back up and got her own stew. Snyper sipped the hot stew carefully. Mimi got up and grabbed two spoons. Snyper saw what she was going to do and let his right stump show. Mimi stopped, embarrassed, and put down one of the spoons. Everybody soon finished. "I always take watch." Snyper announced simply as he settled against the tree and closed his eyes. Tai knew better to question him. Izzy started typing on his computer.
"Hey guys, I've got another e-mail from Gennai. It's titled second prophecy." This got everyone's attention.
"What does it say?" Joe asked.
"Gennai says, 'I found this in my old collection. Hope it's helpful.' Then the prophecy goes, The Black Angel will save one from himself. Then they shall venture into a New World, not a digital one, nor a real one. The white light shall signify the end for three times and a half people. Then, three times and a half a time will be taken. Friends shall watch as Friendship is taken. So shall the Black Angel's main hand. But they shall be reunited, when friends see Friendship, so shall the Black Angel see cold. But the white wolf shall come before this, and he shall join. Then, The Black Angel will give himself in exchange for Friendship. The Black Angel's hand will be given back, as cold as the Venom's heart. The warriors will continue to fight. The metal wolf shall come, and the wolf will be vanquished. But Venom will remain. The rookie will rise to take his place. Friendship will leave, only to be brought back by the Black Angel and Hope. They shall clean the city, finding a wolf as they do. Then, in a final battle, they will take the Venom and wolf to a new level.' Then Gennai says, 'sorry, but I couldn't find this earlier. Hope it is helpful. Hold it, did I already say that? Bye!" Izzy finished.
"It would have been helpful a long time ago." Tai snorted angrily.
"That is a lot of rubbish." Snyper said.
"No, because it talks about the Black Angel saving one from himself. It could be you saving Matt from committing suicide." Kari thought.
"Let's get one thing straight, your worshipfulness," Snyper answered, since they had told him about Kari's being Queen Kari, "I am no Angel. Another thing, that prophecy is so vague, it could mean anything. I'm not here for the prophecy or your fight for the digital world, I am here because I was ordered here. My only friend, Matt, is here. I am here for him, nothing else." Tai was about to yell at Snyper, but Kari shook her head. For her sake, he didn't fight. "But of course, the three times and a half time people could signify the people in the city. After all, it says that twice, and that would be seven. It could signify the seven thousand people, no. That could mean anything." Snyper talked himself out of it as he settled down. Tai shrugged and just settled down beside Agumon and fell asleep. Snyper watched them sleep. He watched them with envy, seeing that each had friends. Before he came into their lives, they had never seen any killing of any kind. They hadn't even known about him or this place. He would have preferred to leave it that way. He would have preferred none of them knew about him. Especially Kari. He shook his head. She's NOT your sister. Do not let her get close to your heart. Remember what happened last time. He told himself. But he looked at her and smiled. She does remind me a lot of my little sister. I wonder how she's doing? He thought, then shook his head again. No, Bret Ferguson, do not let anyone get close to you. The only friend you have left is Matt. You owe it to him to rescue him, no matter what. And your mission is to protect the Digi-destined, not get involved with them. Do not let anyone near your heart. Remember last time. Remember what happened. He shook his head. But he didn't want to remember what happened last time someone got close to him. He couldn't let that happen again. He couldn't let anyone get that close to him again. He continued watch them until the sun rose. He had no idea time had moved that fast. He got the others up, letting Tai get Kari up. They walked until afternoon. This time Snyper did stop with them. He gathered some fruits and roots to eat.
"Can we rest here for a little bit Snyper?" Kari asked. His features softened.
"Sure Kari. We can rest for a bit." The others were amazed at this new change in attitude for Snyper. They all sat down under the shade of a tree. Snyper leaned up against a tree and watched Kari. He was smiling again, Tai noticed. He decided to go over and talk.
"Kari remind you of someone?" Tai asked. Snyper broke out of his world and shook his head.
"No, she does not remind me of anyone." He lied as he looked at her again. She shivered, even though it was very warm. Snyper's head slowly rose. "No. It cannot be." Snyper said in a whisper.
"What is it?" Tai asked.
"Get Joe up." Snyper ordered. Tai woke Joe up.
"Great, just when I was having a great dream that I was sleeping."
"Joe, do what you can for Kari. I will be back shortly." Snyper ordered as he disappeared into the forest. Both Joe and Tai ran toward Kari. She had a fever. Tai lowered his head and swore.
"No, not again. Not a third time." He pleaded. Joe jumped into instant action. He grabbed several things, putting this or that on Kari. The others were roused by his actions.
"What is wrong?" Mimi asked. Gatomon looked at Kari.
"No, please Kari, don't be sick again." Gatomon pleaded.
"Kari's sick again?" Palmon asked.
"Yes she is." Tai answered with tears in his eyes.
"And it's worse then before." Joe said. Tai looked up at him. "There's nothing we can do without getting her to a hospital."
"Where's Snyper?" Biyomon asked.
"He went off and said he would be back shortly." Gomamon, who had been wakened also, informed the others.
"Well, if he isn't here by the morning, we should go back to the real world and get her to a hospital." TK said resolutely.
"But TK, you heard what Snyper said. Time goes much faster out there then in here." Patamon answered. "If we left, we would be leaving Matt wherever he his. He could be hurt or dying. If we left, he could be dead when we got back." TK's digimon complained.
"I never said anything about me leaving. All I said was that you guys will have to leave. I am not leaving. But that is only if Snyper does not make it back by morning. I am sure he will be back before then." TK told them confidently. Night fell, and Snyper had not come back. Joe had advised to keep away from Kari and keep her warm. Tai sat up, watching her. But he finally fell asleep. That night Izzy awoke to a sound. He immediately looked toward Kari. Snyper was there, his trenchcoat off and he was bending over something on the fire. Guns covered almost his whole body. His sleeves were rolled up. Izzy briefly wondered how he had done that without another hand. He got up and walked over. Snyper had a pot with some herbs in it. He was mashing it in with some water.
"Here, continue crushing those leaves." He told the boy genius, handing Izzy the bowl. Izzy did so as Snyper looked around for something. Then he took off his black shirt and started to tear it. He had a tanktop on underneath. Snyper took the bowl from Izzy and started to reach for the pot with boiling water with his right arm. But then he realized he didn't have a hand to go on the end of it. He nodded at Izzy. Izzy grabbed the bowl of boiling water and started to pour it into the bowl with the herbs. Snyper nodded to Izzy again, Izzy stopped pouring. He started to soak the pieces of his black cloth in the bowl. He then took the pieces out and laid some of them on Kari's forehead, while he put the other strips on her arms. "Izzy, get me a spoon." He ordered. Izzy went and got one. He handed Snyper the spoon as he handed Izzy the bowl. He then started taking spoonfuls of it and poured it into Kari's mouth. When the bowl was empty, he laid down, and, for the first time Izzy had seen, he slept.



Something was chasing his brother. He had no idea what it was. He just knew he had to arrive as fast as possible. He tried to move, but his legs were stuck in some sort of mud puddle. He watched as TK ran toward him, only to be grabbed by some unknown Digimon. The Digimon dug its claws deep into TK's shoulders, then the Digimon flew away with his brother. Matt woke with a start. He jerked so hard, his wrists hurt. It took him a few minutes to realize why they hurt. His wrists were still tied to the walls. He looked down at his body. It was bleeding, still. He knew he had lost a lot of blood. He only had to look at the floor to realize that. He could feel each and every cut he had. He felt the one on his cheek and chin, all of the ones on his back. The ones on his chest and forehead did not escape his notice either. The door opened and walked in a Digimon. Not any Digimon, this was the Digimon from his dream. The one that had caught TK.
"I see you recognize me from your dream. Nice, wasn't it? I usually do that to my prisoners. Mainly because they won't be around to see what happens. Isn't it reassuring to know what will happen to your little brother."
"That is not what is going to happen to him. That, is reassuring. Because I know Snyper will not let anything happen to any of them."
"Oh, haven't you heard? We have a plan to take Snyper out of it. You see, we are going to show them how you are. Snyper will have compassion for his only living friend, and he will ask to trade places. It seems Zerec has it all figured out. He seems to know Snyper from way back. They almost succeeded in killing each other once. But it seems Zerec will kill Snyper first."
"Don't bet on it. Venomon." Matt said weakly. Venomon's head snapped up.
"I never told you my name." He said suspiciously.
"You should watch it when you give somebody a dream. Since you are transmitting from your head to another, that person could find out things as well. You don't know what a person could find out." Matt smiled evilly.
"What else did you find out?" Venomon yelled, grabbing Matt's hair. Matt just grinned back. Venomon walked towards the door, then he stopped and turned. "Venom Blast!" He yelled and held out his hand. A red wave flew from it, hitting Matt in the chest. Matt broke the chains and flew backwards, hitting the wall at incredible speed. Matt collapsed in a heap as Venomon gave a smirk. Zerec was coming up the stairs as Venomon was coming down.
"What did you do?" Zerec commanded.
"Just added to his appearance a little more. Are you sure this will work?"
"I know Snyper. He will ask to change places. But we still have much to get ready."






Tai looked over at his sister. Everybody was up except for her and Snyper. That was strange. Snyper was usually always up. But Izzy had told them what happened last night.
"I wonder if he really needs all those guns?" Joe asked. Guns still covered his tanktop and pants.
"From what I have seen and heard, I would guess so." TK answered. Something rustled behind them in the bushes. They all turned to see, Digimon ready to attack. An animal came out. It was as big as and looked a little like Garrurumon, but it was totally white. It was obviously some kind of dog.
"Izzy, what is that?" Tai asked.
"My computer bank says it is a local animal, commonly seen. Some are vicious, while others are friendly. This one looks like the friendly type." Izzy answered. It sniffed.
"I think it wants some of the food." Mimi said. She took some up to the dog. It ate it graciously. Then it licked Mimi's face. Mimi laughed. It then turned to leave, but stopped. It started growling and turned. But on its back there was two, what looked like cannons. They were pointed at Snyper, who was on his stomach with an Uzi out.
"Didn't think you were a regular one. Now, the question remains if you can talk." It growled and started approaching Snyper. "If you can understand me, I'm Snyper and you had better stop right where you are." He commanded. The wolf stopped.
"I think he was just getting a little food." Mimi thought.
"Anything else? Such as, scouting for our enemy what our weakness and strengths are?" The dog shook his head vehemently, as if saying, 'Not a chance'.
"I believe him Snyper." A weak voice announced. It was Kari.
"You sure about that?"
"Yes, I am."
"Very well then." He said and put his Uzi back in his holster. "You are lucky, dog. If Kari had said she did not trust you, I would have blasted you. But, as it is, do you have a name or should we call you dog?" The wolf seemed to look about a minute, then it saw Izzy and his computer. He walked over to it barked something. Izzy's eyes widened as words appeared on his screen.
"Um, Snyper, you want to look at this?" Izzy questioned. Snyper walked over. The words read, 'My name is Iezer.' "Did that disc you gave me have a translation program on it?"
"Yes, it did. Don't really have time to find out what language that is. Find out if you can download that translation program to the something or others. Don't ask me how, just do it. So, why are you here?" Snyper asked Iezer. Iezer gave some barks. (From now on, when I say Iezer gave a bark, I will put it just like he is talking, but the words are actually appeared on Izzy's laptop)
"I am searching for Venomon."

"Don't believe I have ever heard of that one." Tai answered.
"Venomon's the most evil Digimon. He is the one that created the other virus and evil Digimon." Tentomon informed the others.
"That's right. He and a human have made a weapon that can teleport people across great distances."
"Would it happen to be a very bright light?" Joe asked.
"So, you have seen it?"
"Yes. It took my only friend. And this." Snyper said, holding up his right stump.
"I know the way to his fortress." Iezer said.
"Which way?" TK asked.
"Straight that way."
"TK, are you coming with me?" Snyper asked.
"Yes, I am."
"What are you guys doing? We can't leave Kari here!" Tai yelled.
"We are not leaving Kari. We are leaving the group. Will you come with us Iezer?"
"It would be my pleasure Snyper." The big wolf replied.
"That will not be necessary." A voice said. They all turned to see Venomon floating there. Venomon dressed totally white. But his skin was a pale gray.
"Where is Matt?!" Yelled TK.
"Oh, you mean this frail human?" Venomon asked with a wave of his hand. Matt appeared out of nowhere and fell. He looked just fine, he was just unconscious. Matt had landed near them. TK started to run towards him. Snyper held him back and walked to where Matt was. When he was standing right above him, he looked down.
"Finally, I see you like this." Snyper said and pulled a gun. He aimed it right at Matt's head.
"NO!" TK yelled and started to run for him. Snyper fired. But he did not hit Matt. He shot just to the left of his head. Matt's eyes flew open and he changed into a Bakemon.
"Matt may be a heroic idiot, but he would have struggled against you, meaning cuts and bruises." Snyper replied. "And since you used that trick, I have to assume that Zerec is with you?"
"Right, as always Snyper." Zerec replied as he stepped out from behind Venomon.
"Now where is the real Matt?" Snyper asked as he trained his laser sight on Zerec's chest. Zerec smiled.
"A simple matter. Venomon?" Venomon smiled evilly and waved his hand. Matt fell. His shirt had been torn off and he was bloodied everywhere.
"MATT!" TK and Sora yelled at the same time. Matt looked weakly up.
"Now that's more like it." Snyper said as he crossed his arms in front of him. "Zerec, I assume you want to make a trade?"
"Indeed I do Snyper. You for him."
"Don't do it." Matt said weakly. Zerec smiled.
"That's right Snyper, don't do it. Leave your only friend to me."
"TK, go get him." Snyper said as he started walking towards them. TK ran to his brother and helped him up. By the time they got over to the other Digi-destined, TK's clothes were covered in blood. Matt's blood. Snyper looked back at Matt's back. It was streaked with whip marks.
"Now, Snyper. I do believe you come with us." Zerec said confidently.
"You misunderstood me. I meant I would send my bullets with you." Snyper said as he turned and fired his Uzi. Zerec jumped out of the way. Venomon spread his hands out.
"You Digi-destined look hot. Shall I cool you down? Ice Fire!" He yelled. A blue thing flew toward the destined and Iezer. Snyper saw what was happening. He leapt toward the blue thing, swinging his right arm, hoping to deflect it. His right arm connected with the thing. Instead of deflecting it, it hit his arm. His right arm turned completely to ice. His arm clumped to the ground. Iezer fired at Venomon. Venomon and Zerec disappeared. Snyper was on his knees, holding his right arm. He was in obvious pain.
"TK, come here, now." Snyper commanded. TK did so. "Help me get my guns off." He ordered. "There's not much time. I know Zerec. He will be back soon." Snyper said. TK and him took off all of Snyper's guns, which took a bit of doing. "TK, get everybody out of here and take my guns and my trenchcoat. I'll be back sometime for it." Snyper grunted in pain.
"Where are you going?" TK asked as he gathered up the guns and his trenchcoat.
"Zerec will be back and he will take me. TK, you must protect the others. I would be saying this to Matt if he weren't so beat up. TK, you have to take my guns and use them when you need to."
"I can't kill." TK said, shaking his head.
"I didn't say you had to kill, just you had to protect the others and use my guns. You are Hunter's brother. You have his blood and his instincts. You must protect the others. Now, get them out of here and have Iezer carry Kari." He said as he struggled against the pain to get up. "Go TK, go now!" Snyper commanded as he gripped his one special handgun. He smiled as he saw TK do everything he had ordered. He glanced at the many dents in the handgun. His team had given it to him. His team including Matt. He saw TK get them away as smoke appeared. He pointed the handgun at the smoke, a laser sight cutting through it. He saw Venomon appear. He fired at Venomon's chest. Venomon disappeared again and appeared behind Snyper. He hit the warrior in the back of the head before Snyper could react. Snyper fell, his gun just within his grasp. Zerec stepped on it.
"Quite clever Snyper. Now, I believe you have something to do with me?"
"Quite right Zerec, quite right." Snyper said. TK watched the whole thing. Then, they were gone in a puff of smoke. TK looked at the machine gun in his hands. He gripped it and walked back to the others.